GOG Halloween games 30% of until 11/2 (Obscure, Personal Nightmare, Waxworks)

I was about to post this. :D
I picked up all 3 games. Obscure is particularly cool for being a pretty modern Resident Evil/Silent Hill-type game with local 2-player co-op.

As always, no DRM/Activation in GOG's stuff-you actually own it.

So what is Obscure like? I remember it getting pretty good reviews, but I'm more into Resident Evil and Eternal Darkness than Silent Hill.

No one wants top hear your DRM propaganda. You don't need to mention it in every digital download sale thread.

It's not "propaganda", and it's something important for a buying decision. It's also not mentioned for your sake, but for people who don't know what this is.

prop⋅a⋅gan⋅da  –noun

1. information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc.
2. the deliberate spreading of such information, rumors, etc.

cru⋅sade –noun
3. any vigorous, aggressive movement for the defense or advancement of an idea, cause, etc.: a crusade against child abuse.

This is what you do. It is annoying. Everyone knows what DRM is already and what services offer it. If someone is unclear on the subject and asks about it, I can see you mentioning it. However, you mention it anyway, in order to further your cause of no-DRM and to hamper services that use DRM.

No eastx, everyone does not already know that. If everyone did, and everyone knew what GOG was, it wouldn't even be necessary to post threads like this to begin with. Ditto for most of this site.

YOU are spreading PRO-activation propaganda by now spending two posts insulting me because I'm simply stating a fact that's useful for the purpose of this site.

It was not written for you.

This is like when people get angry because they don't want to fill in the thread title correctly. It makes no sense, but whatever, it's not for you.

I haven't insulted you. You are on a crusade and you are actively propagandizing. The definitions are right there. Your actions are annoying in that they are unsolicited, old hat, and lead to arguments.

All right, this is my last response. Continue and I report you.

Again-I am not "propagandizing". This are facts, they are useful for people making a purchase. It's info I and millions of other potential purchasers want to know.

Not everyone knows how Gog works-that is why we have these boards, these posts. Do you understand that? YOU are propagandizing by posting any of this to begin with, by showing that some information is "okay" with you, and some information isn't. YOU for some reason think this isn't relevant, which shows what you think of the issue.

This is not posted for debate any more than the price or the name of the store it. It is relevant information to make a purchasing decision. That's it. YOU do not have to read it if you don't want to-presumably you already get these emails and wouldn't even need to read this thread. This thread, the info in it, is not for YOU, it is for someone who doesn't know about it yet.

First, thanks for posting the deal, DrMunkee!

Second, thanks Wolfpup for letting us know about the lack of DRM. I for one don't mind the reminder :)

Happy Halloween, folks!

eastx, not everyone knows what DRM is.

The point that Wolfpup brings up is one of biggest questions being asked today in regard to pc games. And GOG itself makes it a major point in it's marketing. He wasn't attacking any DRM scheme in particular, he was promoting GOG, a company who's sale is being talked about.

[quote name='Wolfpup']YOU are spreading PRO-activation propaganda by now spending two posts insulting me[/QUOTE]

rofl...aaah no. that's not how it works.

anyways, i'm picking up all three. i missed out on obscure and have been meaning to play my copy of obscure 2 on the psp. doing a quick run through of this should get me motivated. plus i love these old school horror adventure games. they're a rare breed.

Alright, you two. This banter is even worse than any sort of crusade.

I didn't like Obscure 2 so much (not much of an evolution for a sequel IIRC). Bad controls, bad storytelling. The 'theme' is more akin to that Elijah Wood/Robert Rodriguez's film The Faculty. Highschool, monster horror.

Waxworks looks promising: Ultima UW style presentation.

Have you played the first Obscure? I remember it getting reviewed better, but reading over some of the reviews they say things like "really hard" and the like. At the same time, it sounds like a lot of the puzzles are bizarrely...logical, which is cool!

[quote name='Wolfpup']Have you played the first Obscure? ...the puzzles are bizarrely...logical, which is cool![/QUOTE]

No but I remember reading the 70%ish review from PC Gamer ages ago. I remember them being oddly impressed that instead of searching for the "Chemistry Room" door key, you could just smash the glass window in the door and unlock it. Not sure if that qualifies it as a puzzle, though.

[quote name='mogamer']eastx, not everyone knows what DRM is.

The point that Wolfpup brings up is one of biggest questions being asked today in regard to pc games. And GOG itself makes it a major point in it's marketing. He wasn't attacking any DRM scheme in particular, he was promoting GOG, a company who's sale is being talked about.[/QUOTE]

When I said everyone, I meant virtually everyone. And of course I understand and approve of educating someone who has asked for more information. He actually does attack DRM systems that utilize DRM in other digital download threads (such as Steam sales). Of course the lack of DRM is one of GOG's selling points, but it can be mentioned without insulting DRM systems.

Anyway, on the topic of the sale, the 2 older games is that they have really small file sizes and can run on pretty much anything. As for the newer game, it's by Microids, who makes awesome adventure games.

I'm really intrigued by both Waxworks and Personal Nightmare. But, I'm so cheap that... I didn't bite. I actually thought to myself that I'd wait for the CAG thread and see what people were saying about them first. :) And then the e-mail came with the new threads, there it was, and here I am.

I never played games like Waxworks when I was a kiddo because I was scaredy. :) Otherwise, I think I bought more than half the point and clickers that got released.

Still on the fence...

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']I'm really intrigued by both Waxworks and Personal Nightmare. But, I'm so cheap that... I didn't bite. I actually thought to myself that I'd wait for the CAG thread and see what people were saying about them first. :) And then the e-mail came with the new threads, there it was, and here I am.

I never played games like Waxworks when I was a kiddo because I was scaredy. :) Otherwise, I think I bought more than half the point and clickers that got released.

Still on the fence...[/QUOTE]

If you want a fantastic Point and Clicker, hit up Downfall on the Direct2Drive sale. Personal Nightmare is more of a text-based. They are both still really good, though.

Downfall it is! Never even heard of it, but it's hard to say no to a good rec. :) I"m off to check it out.

Text-based are okay with me, too. I was too young for the Infocom craze at the time, but in retrospect I really enjoyed them. Well... the little bits I played before wandering off in search of purdy, moving pictures.

Does this stack with the ECA discount? Also, anyone that bought this have personal opinions re: obscure?

EDIT: poking around with the cart I don't think they double up on coupons. This is a better deal than just ECA alone, but it would be nice. Every dollar counts.

It should stack with the ECA discount, but that's a one time offer, so...I guess make sure you've got a big order!

I used mine up ages ago. Don't even remember what on :lol:

Eastx, there is no positive side to DRM. Mentioning it is by definition insulting it, I suppose, but regardless it's one of if not the biggest issues in PC gaming today. Not mentioning it to avoid "insulting" it is ridiculous.

[quote name='Wolfpup']It should stack with the ECA discount, but that's a one time offer, so...I guess make sure you've got a big order!

I used mine up ages ago. Don't even remember what on :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yeah just now figured that out. Can't believe I wasted mine on Tex Murphy a week before it went on sale! I wish ECA would've worded that benefit a bit better. By telling me to lock it in to my account I thought they meant it was like use it once and it'll be there FOR-EV-ERRRR. Oh well.

[quote name='Wolfpup']
Eastx, there is no positive side to DRM. [/QUOTE]

Ho-hum, DRM can work. Everyone remembers cassette tapes right? Those little holes that you taped over so you could record over it? Ah, the classics.
smile

How about this: don't bring up the DRM issue unless somebody specifically asks. With GOG, IT'S ON THEIR HOME PAGE, and if you click it it explains what it means. Maybe we can avoid this kind of stupid argument next time? :D

To get (sort of) back on topic, I hadn't realized they added Divine Divinity to the site. That's tempting.

[quote name='Wolfpup']
So what is Obscure like? I remember it getting pretty good reviews, but I'm more into Resident Evil and Eternal Darkness than Silent Hill.[/QUOTE]

I've played both Obscure 1 and 2, and I thought the first one was a little better. Both of them are like a cheesy teen horror movie, and yes they do share a lot of similarities with The Faculty, but I felt that's what gave it a certain charm. However, I did not see The Faculty before playing the first Obscure, so maybe that is why I found the game to be fun, who knows.

I like the first one better because, you get to choose two out of four (and later five) characters to buddy up and explore the school as they look for their missing friend (In the second one you pretty much get assigned two characters all the time and have no choice in the matter, making the game feel too linear). Each character has a certain special ability. Stanley is a good lock picker, Shannon will be able to give you clues to help solve a room or area's puzzle, Ashley can unleash either a double shot or a bat swing combo attack on enemies, Josh can tell you if there are any items left in a room waiting to be found, and Kenny has a good sprint.

The flash lights aren't just there to try to help you see in the dark either as they have a boost ability that weakens the enemies you encounter, making them vulnerable to kill. But you have to be careful because the bulb will overheat if you boost for too long and then you'll have to wait as it cools off. Not a good thing to have happen when you're ambushed! The overall atmosphere of the game is somewhat tense and scary, but it still felt closer to Resident Evil's action oriented game play than Silent Hill's slower and creepier pace.

What really makes the game fun is that it did the co-op gameplay fairly well, so if you have a friend, playing the game with them rather than the AI controlling the other character makes the game much more enjoyable (or annoying if your friend doesn't know how to play survival horror games very well ;) ). The game can be quite challenging even on Normal as the monsters do a decent amount of damage, but if you need to get the hang of how it plays, just turn it down to Easy and enjoy it. That's what games are for right? :)

I played the original Obscure when it came out on Xbox, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It had a few things that set it apart from the other survival horror clones out there, first and foremost the presentation. As someone mentioned, its theme is very similar to "The Faculty". The presentation is set up so that it feels like you're playing a low rent teen slasher flick, which isn't as bad as you might think. True, there are some lines of dialogue that are almost painfully hip, but its no worse than anything that Diablo Cody puts out (brrr....). Also, one thing that's nice (or not, depending on your feelings towards the difficulty), is that just like a slasher flick, if someone dies, there's no Phoenix Downs, no preachers that say PRAISE JESUS and reassemble the person that just gorily dismembered. If they're dead, they're dead. And it actually gets pretty scary when you're running solo through an infested school. Not on par with the classics, of course, but worth it if it's under 15 bucks.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']How about this: don't bring up the DRM issue unless somebody specifically asks. With GOG, IT'S ON THEIR HOME PAGE, and if you click it it explains what it means. Maybe we can avoid this kind of stupid argument next time? :D

To get (sort of) back on topic, I hadn't realized they added Divine Divinity to the site. That's tempting.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that would be better. You'll notice that he didn't agree though.

bread's done
Back