Photo
- - - - -

How do I get debt collectors to stop calling?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 XxFuRy2Xx

XxFuRy2Xx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:06 AM

Well, it looks like they didn't call from an unavailable number this time. The phone number is 866-256-9096. They called twice today while I was at work, but I had it on vibrate so it wasn't really a problem. Any chance of finding out who it is with the phone number alone?

Please check out my channel: Alan Bytes Back!

MyAnimeList

#32 WhipSmartBanky

WhipSmartBanky

Bring on the free hooch!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:15 AM

Well, it looks like they didn't call from an unavailable number this time. The phone number is 866-256-9096. They called twice today while I was at work, but I had it on vibrate so it wasn't really a problem. Any chance of finding out who it is with the phone number alone?

Punch the number in to Google and look at the first result. It's not pretty.

Now that, my friend, is a shared moment.

about.me/wsb

#33 blissskr

blissskr

Come on Square

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:40 AM

I had something like this before too on a new home phone number. Albeit my wife gets free legal services through her work for all kinds of issues, so I called the law office after this place wouldn't stop calling looking for some guy who owed them money for something. They sent me a form which is basically a stop calling me form but its called a cease and descist letter or something. After I finally got the callers to give me an address (the lawyers told me that they have to give this to you if you ask but it took a few times before they gave it too me) I sent in the form with my number which demanded them not to call me for someone else's debt or I'd take legal action. They must have received the form because roughly a few weeks later I never got another call again.
:cold:

#34 Pookymeister

Pookymeister

I like almonds

• Super Moderators

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:17 PM

I had a collection agency calling me. To get them to stop I sent a letter politely asking them to.
Granted, this was actually something under my wife's name but it was some unjustified dentist/insurance BS. They did stop, but 3 years later we had to pay it anyway when we bought a house to get approved for mortgage. Blah.

#35 Gentlegamer

Gentlegamer

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:45 PM

I haven't had a problem with debt collectors, but for several years I had a cell number one digit different from a local medical supply company. I would get all kinds of weird calls and messages about peoples wheelchairs and oxygen tanks (for example). I would actually answer some times and try to tell them the correct number; I felt bad if they were missing a vital piece of medical equipment. I finally broke down when the volume of calls went up and changed my number.
Posted Image

#36 fatherofcaitlyn

fatherofcaitlyn

Der Uber Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:07 PM

I had the exact opposite problem. A collector from Sprint called because I ran up a $700 cell phone bill in St. Louis while delivering pizza in Bowling Green. I pointed out that obvious problem and they never called back.

Fast forward to applying for a mortgage. The debt had been resold three times. I contacted the debt company, but they were too busy to discuss the problem. I gave up calling them and there is nothing on my credit reports now.

EDIT: Have you tried these three questions?

1. Do I know you?
2. Do I owe you money?
3. Why are you calling me?
Synergize, bitches!
Posted Image

#37 wageslave

wageslave

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:01 PM

I had same problem as OP. Usually I would get calls from a machine with a call back number. I kept calling back and explaining I don't know the person they were seeking and that I just recently was given the phone number and eventually they stopped calling. I am actually surprised that most of the debt collectors seemed to believe me and were cool with it. It seemed to help when I was polite too.
Tier Pargon Pargon Redgormor Pargon Pargon Mantorok

#38 Gourd

Gourd

Tofu Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:39 PM

Ugh. I've been receiving phone calls from a Debt Collection agency for YEARS now. New home, and I don't know the person. I've been polite, I repeatedly tell them that Debra doesn't live here and could never have lived here, etc. They still call back.

At this point I just let them call. The phone ringing doesn't bother me that much, and I figure that if they keep calling the wrong number (mine) they will NEVER collect from Debra. At this point I'm actually on Debra's side. There's a limited amount of time to collect on a debt in Texas.
SUPER EXPLOSIVE POWER SUIT Bangai-O!!!

#39 tiredfornow

tiredfornow

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:20 AM

They eventually stop if you keep telling 'em you have no idea who the person is. Takes a few months, but they'll stop eventually.

I'm getting calls from one of those damn telemarketing companies, they call me from different numbers so what I started doing was forwarding all my calls to one of their numbers.

I guess that won't work for everyone, but maybe some of you have phones that can forward only certain calls.

:lol:

Posted Image

#40 PseudoFinrod

PseudoFinrod

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:33 AM

A lot of people don't realize this, but you can tell them to quit calling you, and they will legally have to comply.

#41 XxFuRy2Xx

XxFuRy2Xx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2009 - 02:12 AM

Punch the number in to Google and look at the first result. It's not pretty.

Apparently it's some company called NCO Financial Systems, and it seems like they're a bunch of scumbags. Wonderful.

Please check out my channel: Alan Bytes Back!

MyAnimeList

#42 Gourd

Gourd

Tofu Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:18 AM

NCO, apparently, is who is calling me as well. As I said, I have repeatedly told them that the woman couldn't possibly have /ever/ lived here, and they still call.

They leave an amusing message on my answering machine during the day when we're not home. Something to the effect of: "If you are not the person this call is addressed to, please hang up now. (3 second pause) If you continue to listen to this message, you acknowledge that you ARE Debra blah blah blah."
SUPER EXPLOSIVE POWER SUIT Bangai-O!!!