Coaxial wired house, how do I setup my xbox downstairs?

ezytarget

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey guys, I'm hoping some of you can give me an idea on how best to approach setting up my internet in my new place. My office upstairs is where the main computer/modem and wireless router are located. Downstairs is where my xbox is hooked up. Sure I could get the wireless device from microsoft and set it up but as a gamer the thought of wireless makes me cringe. Not to mention I'd rather not pay $100 for a tiny little thing that should cost half of that, but anyway...

So the setup downstairs is there is multiple coaxial inputs that go upstairs. I'm thinking if I was able to plug into those then I'd ride the internet down from them modem upstairs, or at least that's what the landlord says.

Problem is how do I do that? I can't finding anything online that seems to give me a solid answer. It seems my only options are to either get the wireless add-on or get a wireless access point for the router.

Any thoughts?

I explained that badly, there is one coaxial output that my goes into my modem upstairs. Downstairs I have 3 outputs, two are on plate, the other is on it's own plate. That one is plugging directly into my TV. The other two are supposdely wired up the wall to upstairs. So basically I think what's happening is the internet signal is bouncing back from the modem, into the wall and down into the two coaxial jacks.

To be honest it's all hard to understand, I just wish there was a coaxial to ethernet cable and I could just plug that into my xbox. Sadly I don't think it works that way.

[quote name='ezytarget']Sadly I don't think it works that way.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think that is the way it is with your whole post. I've never heard of running ethernet through coaxial cables.

Only things I can think to do in your situation is to either do wireless or buy a massive ethernet cord.

you can look into powerline ethernet adapters - they send data over your powerlines (through your electrical outlets) - you have to have one by the modem/router that you plug into - then another by the device (xbox.) I've never used them but many do with good success.

Otherwise - run a cable or buy a wireless adapter.

I'd put the modem and wireless router by the 360 downstairs, then throw a wireless card into your PC or maybe it already has one even and your good to go.

I did try putting a wireless PCI card in my computer this week and the connection speed was fine... that is until I moved the router downstairs. Sure the xbox was running fine but the connection upstairs went from 5mg to .65k... that's just not going to work.

I'm leaning towards getting the microsoft adapter. I tested the connection speeds for downstairs with my laptop while the router was upstairs and it was just blazing.. almost 20mg download. My hope is the Xbox Adapter is faster then the standard pci card slot?

[quote name='JimmieMac']20 Milligrams? That's fast.[/QUOTE]

Damn ambien was taking affect by then. heh 20mb is obviously what I was going for. :lol:

[quote name='DT778']Buy another wireless router and flash it with ddwrt firmware to turn it into a client bridge. That's how I get internet to a 360 and a computer upstairs while the modem and main wireless router are in my room downstairs.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index[/QUOTE]

I'd do this if I were the OP and were concerned with the cost since you can get a wireless router for cheaper than a adapter.

OK, so the coax cable downstairs are not going ot help you unless you can move your modem there. If you are looking for the easiest fix it is the wireless adapter. If you are looking for a more wired scenario, find some one to drop you a long ethernet line down to your livingroom. PM me for more info I work in the cable industry.

Those powerline ethernet adapters seem pretty damn sweet, never heard of them before.

If you're going to get the $100 Xbox 360 only adapter, I'd spend the extra $40 and get two of these

bread's done
Back