CAGcast #177: Gay Friendly

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#31 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:17 PM

I don't get it. Is this a social show? Like a book club for games? 2 hours? I listened to about 4 of these and I can't seem to finish them. I want to hear about the games and what you guys think of them. I don't want to listen to 3 guys talk about their personal lives, eating hamburgers, farting, and talking about nonsense that no one cares about. And whats with all the reviews on the lamest DS games? The section where you talk about the games is valued by me, I just wish I didn't have to sift through this drivel to get to it. Maybe bookmarks or chapters so we can listen to just what we want to listen to?

You could just not listen. The majority of us come to the CAGcast because we like the personalities of CheapyD, Wombat, and Shipwreck (when he's on). If you just want video game info, stick to the video game blogs like Kotaku and Joystiq. You say no one cares about the other stuff, but you're wrong. You're in the minority. If that wasn't true, the podcast wouldn't be as popular as it is.

This is like a radio show. The hosts are why I listen. I like Cheapy's stories from Japan. I like Wombat's corny jokes. I like that Cheapy shares his personal life with the site. That's where the heart of the show is, in the people who host it. Without all of that I wouldn't care what Wombat thinks about Dragon Age or what Cheapy's driving in Forza 3.

#32 Smuglittleman

Smuglittleman

KHAAAAAAAAN!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:35 PM

Shipwreck, I had the exact same problem of not being able to print the return label when I went to send in my 360 in for repair. I tried 3 different browsers on 2 different computers.

I just deleted the return and did it over again and requested that MS mail me the label. It took over 2 weeks just to get the label but it worked.
Posted Image

#33 ninju D

ninju D

Paid the cost...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:56 PM

OMG! Cheapy, your condom story is hilarious!

Just an idea for something you guys may want to mention with your GoDaddy coupons that some listeners many not be aware of. Registering your domain does not necessarily mean you are going to build your own page from scratch. You can also apply your custom domain to an existing page (ie Google’s Blogger makes it really easy to use your own URL with your free web page. Other blog hosting sites allow the same feature). Also, my favorite thing to do with your new shiny domain name, Google Apps will host email for you for free using you new domain name. Basically you get the same gmail interface and space allowance, but instead of @gmail.com you can have @yourdomainname.com which is kinda cool for only $6ish per year. Again, Google makes setting this up really easy!
Anyway, I’m sure you guys get something for giving GoDaddy more business, so you may want to mention some cool stuff you can do with your new domain name.

Again, great show! You guys should talk about Torchlight for PC. Really fun game!

fs_0ea77abe14bf27ec66e9f6f1c9a91c5c.png

#34 urmomlikesme

urmomlikesme

Random Fart Noise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:00 PM

Gotta subscribe...it will download automagically.

I'm subscribed in iTunes and it didn't show up in my library. I refreshed until midnight (central time). Will get it streaming on my iPhone since I didn't download it.

#35 mkernan

mkernan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:06 PM

Listening now on my iPhone, great show so far!
Posted Image

#36 dacool561

dacool561

Take a Look at This

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:19 PM

=P what section was CAG mentioned in the joystiq podcast?

#37 nateeasy29

nateeasy29

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:48 PM

Great show. Just downloaded Halo Waypoint. Looks like all but one of the Avatar Awards are tied to ODST Achievements. The other one unlocks for using the guide in Waypoint. I'm a level 24 Halo gamer. I have only played Halo3 and Halo Wars! What level are you guys?

#38 disbeleaf

disbeleaf

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:53 PM

Good cagcast, but disappointed that you guys do not have the ability to see the context of how the word was used in the video. Also for you to compare it to the same context when calling a black person a N***** shows you guys have been covered with the political correctness cloud that is slowly ruining everything. What good is freedom when we can't say things for fear of offending ANYONE, is the free world really free or are we now bound by the ever tightening shackles known as "Political Correctness". R.I.P Humor

Prime example of this is when Cheapy asks Wombat if this is a gayfriendly cagast and he says "it better be" " because he doesn't want to lose his job".

I haven't gotten to this part in the podcast yet, but I'll give my two cents because I can. I'm not going to comment on whether or not that type of humor is objectively funny; some people derive negative reactions from derogatory humor, some find it hilarious, and some are apathetic (and that's a completely unrelated topic...is Jeff Dunham the same as Dave Chappelle, for example?).

The main issue I have with the video is that some members of the Call of Duty community (and many idiots on XBL/the internets) are notorious for using that word in a hurtful (unfunny) context, not to mention the 'n' word and plenty of other hateful language. No matter the intent of IW's joke, they bring to mind that specific subset of morons that play their game simply by using that joke in their video.

#39 goodybear

goodybear

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:00 PM

I don't get it. Is this a social show? Like a book club for games? 2 hours? I listened to about 4 of these and I can't seem to finish them. I want to hear about the games and what you guys think of them. I don't want to listen to 3 guys talk about their personal lives, eating hamburgers, farting, and talking about nonsense that no one cares about. And whats with all the reviews on the lamest DS games? The section where you talk about the games is valued by me, I just wish I didn't have to sift through this drivel to get to it. Maybe bookmarks or chapters so we can listen to just what we want to listen to?

well take your @$$ back over to NeoGaf and b***h about it over there.

#40 goodybear

goodybear

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:13 PM

Good cagcast, but disappointed that you guys do not have the ability to see the context of how the word was used in the video. Also for you to compare it to the same context when calling a black person a N***** shows you guys have been covered with the political correctness cloud that is slowly ruining everything. What good is freedom when we can't say things for fear of offending ANYONE, is the free world really free or are we now bound by the ever tightening shackles known as "Political Correctness". R.I.P Humor

Prime example of this is when Cheapy asks Wombat if this is a gayfriendly cagast and he says "it better be" " because he doesn't want to lose his job".

The problem is you can say whatever you want, but should you?
I glad Cheapy has some values and standards.

If Cheapy found F.A.G.S. offensive, then thats his prerogative.
If he didn't find any humor in it, why should you care?

R.I.P. Decency

#41 goodybear

goodybear

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:26 PM

I think you guys need to really expand on that idea of giving a plug to websites that bought a domain name using the cag coupon code.

Not only offer a plug on the show, but a review of the site.
You going to have to do more to motivate people into buying a domain name and web hosting.
Maybe even set up a forum post for websites that use the coupon code and a feature blog post.

#42 x3x1x

x3x1x

So fresh and so clean

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:36 PM

Hooray for new CAGcast!

#43 liberaltugboat

liberaltugboat

Don't Tug on Me

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:37 PM

Great show, always love when shipwreck is on.
Need more talk about poop!
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/LiberalTugboat

Liberating the world... one Tug at a time.

#44 Nebenator

Nebenator

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:55 PM

I loved the show, it was one of the best since I started listening.

About the MW2 Controversy:
MW2 is a MATURE game. If the advertisement was placed on a website where you must verify your age, then that it is understandable. South Park just had a whole episode based off of that word, and Team America had the exact same joke as part of the movie. MW2 is a mature game, Team America is a mature movie, and South Park is a mature show. All three are well known, and notify that they are for mature audiences in trailers, before the show, ect. You can be offended that they used that word, you can be offended about the violence in the game, you can be offended about a lot of different things.

WARNING: MATURE AUDIENCES ONLY

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/chp2u2ln8_E&hl=en&fs=1&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/chp2u2ln8_E&hl=en&fs=1&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

#45 xrayzwei

xrayzwei

is ready to believe you

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:02 PM

Thanks for the new 'cast. Here's to more ship.

#46 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:53 PM

Modern Warfare 2 is building itself upon controversy. First the 3rd person view mode, then the opening level which can be skipped, then the near outright removal of party chat in the 360 version, and now the Grenade Spam video. It all reeks of a company (Infinity Ward) who has gotten a bit too cocky in what they're making and how it's being pitched. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the ending song during the credits just said "fuck you" to all the people who bought it over and over again.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#47 actripxl

actripxl

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:56 PM

The problem is you can say whatever you want, but should you?
I glad Cheapy has some values and standards.

If Cheapy found F.A.G.S. offensive, then thats his prerogative.
If he didn't find any humor in it, why should you care?

R.I.P. Decency

Decency which is another way of saying censorship has no place when it comes to humor plain and simple nor for academics. The world has moved forward by individuals that push boundaries not those that conform to them.
For me to call a straight male a f** for using a cheap and "unmanly" tactic is not the same if I use it against a homosexual male simply because he's gay. Just like when some calls a person a N***er is not the same when they say N**ga, the context of the word in the conversation matters.
It matters not because Cheapy has anything to do with it, it matter because his and Wombats self censorship is the prevailing thought in media today. Yes this is just a blog but what good is media and journalism if certain subjects and words are taboo? I'd rather have some one call me a "spic" to my face than smile and pretend to like me, that way I know how to measure some one on what they really feel like.

#48 actripxl

actripxl

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:04 PM

I haven't gotten to this part in the podcast yet, but I'll give my two cents because I can. I'm not going to comment on whether or not that type of humor is objectively funny; some people derive negative reactions from derogatory humor, some find it hilarious, and some are apathetic (and that's a completely unrelated topic...is Jeff Dunham the same as Dave Chappelle, for example?).

The main issue I have with the video is that some members of the Call of Duty community (and many idiots on XBL/the internets) are notorious for using that word in a hurtful (unfunny) context, not to mention the 'n' word and plenty of other hateful language. No matter the intent of IW's joke, they bring to mind that specific subset of morons that play their game simply by using that joke in their video.

You're wrong yes many morons may use it in a demeaning manner, but IW CLEARY did not do that and simply used it a a humorous punch line. Whether you found it funny or not is irrelevant to the fact that they meant it in a funny way towards straight males that use cheap tactics.
This is why political correctness has clouded so many that they cannot see the context in which it was applied, and turned everyone to sensitive babies.

If you didn't find it funny so be it, but to me it was hilarious since grenade spamming is a cheap tactic that many use in COD. Hopefully grenade will TK and deduct points for TK'ing, since this will pretty much solve the grenade spamming problem.

Off to the library and then straight to work, feel free to send me messages for further debate on this matter which I will respond tomorrow and happy gaming everyone.

P.S. Borderland Rocks!

#49 Morphine

Morphine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:20 PM

Nice show, they just coulda fix the MW2 video adding:
Fighting Relentlessly Against Grenade Spam: FRAGS :)

#50 butaneko

butaneko

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:27 PM

Tai's costume is hilarious. I'm not sure the pumpkin belt and clown hat go well together. The garbage bag cape makes it though.

#51 butaneko

butaneko

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:43 PM

For me to call a straight male a f** for using a cheap and "unmanly" tactic is not the same if I use it against a homosexual male simply because he's gay. Just like when some calls a person a N***er is not the same when they say N**ga, the context of the word in the conversation matters.

It's a little easier to distinguish the context between the two versions of the N words, since they have more or less opposite meanings. I guess I should ask for clarification on someone's exact meaning next time I hear someone called a fa* or fa**ot on XBox Live. Personally it just makes me want to take my headset off. I guess I should sack up though.

Either way it's just incredibly stupid for a big company to use it in advertising.

#52 Veneral Disease.

Veneral Disease.

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:49 PM

Thought I'd finally post after a couple of years of silent listening not just for the contest either.... Love the show, the ones with Ship especially, Keep up the good work guys.

#53 Conboy

Conboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:50 PM

Great show guys, Shipwreck was fine this episode, no Ginger Effect. South Park episode last night had a Gay friendly theme, as someone above mentioned. It was quite funny. I'm in for the Bayonetta soundtrack.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#54 disbeleaf

disbeleaf

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:11 PM

You're wrong yes many morons may use it in a demeaning manner, but IW CLEARY did not do that and simply used it a a humorous punch line. Whether you found it funny or not is irrelevant to the fact that they meant it in a funny way towards straight males that use cheap tactics.
This is why political correctness has clouded so many that they cannot see the context in which it was applied, and turned everyone to sensitive babies.

If you didn't find it funny so be it, but to me it was hilarious since grenade spamming is a cheap tactic that many use in COD. Hopefully grenade will TK and deduct points for TK'ing, since this will pretty much solve the grenade spamming problem.

Off to the library and then straight to work, feel free to send me messages for further debate on this matter which I will respond tomorrow and happy gaming everyone.

P.S. Borderland Rocks!

What I'm saying is even though IW used the word in that context and almost definitely didn't mean any ill will, they are indirectly associating themselves with the usage of that word in their game. They obviously are aware of the frequent usage of the word online, so at best they were being near-sighted.

That's great if you think using that word is cool because you wouldn't be bothered by it, but everyone reacts differently, and nobody should have to put up with that language just because some douchebag teenager wearing the internets mask got picked on in school that day and wants to let out his frustrations.

Arguments of political correctness aside, I am 99.9% sure the XBL T.O.S. forbids that kind of language.

#55 geminas01

geminas01

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:39 PM

Wombat,

I'm fairly sure "newbreview.com" = "newbie review.com" instead of "noob review.com"....

Wow, that's one super big boy...

#56 AriesDog

AriesDog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:01 PM

Shipwreck, I had the exact same problem of not being able to print the return label when I went to send in my 360 in for repair. I tried 3 different browsers on 2 different computers.

I just deleted the return and did it over again and requested that MS mail me the label. It took over 2 weeks just to get the label but it worked.

I always had them deliver the coffin. It comes with a pre-printed label.

#57 AriesDog

AriesDog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:04 PM

What I'm saying is even though IW used the word in that context and almost definitely didn't mean any ill will, they are indirectly associating themselves with the usage of that word in their game. They obviously are aware of the frequent usage of the word online, so at best they were being near-sighted.

That's great if you think using that word is cool because you wouldn't be bothered by it, but everyone reacts differently, and nobody should have to put up with that language just because some douchebag teenager wearing the internets mask got picked on in school that day and wants to let out his frustrations.

Arguments of political correctness aside, I am 99.9% sure the XBL T.O.S. forbids that kind of language.

Didn't the latest South Park, "The F Word", just redefine what that word means?
http://www.southpark...episodes/251889

#58 Wingwright

Wingwright

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:57 PM

^^^Yes, Infinity Ward was making a statement against annoying Harley riders.

Wombat was on fire with his random jokes and references. (Full House???)

Overall ,it was a good show. Well done gents.

#59 rick1000

rick1000

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:11 PM

hey cheapy can you put the shownotes in the podcast so when i look at the podcast on my iphone i can see what the show is about it would helpif you put the time in next to the topic so when im in class i can listen to a certain topic
thanks

p.shipwrek is a pussy

#60 Loonknight

Loonknight

Dirk The Daring

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:18 PM

First off, my condolences Wombat.

Secondly, Great show all around. The MWII commercial went too far and honestly I hope someone was canned for that one. Having watched the commercial it makes a valid point, but the acroynm was uncalled for and just helps feed the hate.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Raise your bananas ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ