playing with xbox controller

[quote name='Martinmz']is there any way to use an xbox 360 controller on pc games such as tf2[/QUOTE]

You can but you would be at a major disadvantage against people with keyboard & mouse and it would suck.

Unless it is a game like Shadowrun that will compensate for the disadvantages or some type of racing game, the controller will always suck versus a K&M setup on computer.

[quote name='Sporadic']You can but you would be at a major disadvantage against people with keyboard & mouse and it would suck.

Unless it is a game like Shadowrun that will compensate for the disadvantages or some type of racing game, the controller will always suck versus a K&M setup on computer.[/QUOTE]

OP is looking for a how to guide... not whether or not kb/m is better or worse than controller

i haven't tried this out, but you'd usually find this type of info on the game's official forums.

Type "exec 360controller" in the console

That'll set everything to the 360 defaults, including submenus

use "exec undo360controller" when you want to go back

I've used a 360 controller on my windows PC without any problems. XP, Vista, and 7 all installed the drivers automatically. If you want to know which games support it, you'd have to check either the game's manual or website.

[quote name='kilm']OP is looking for a how to guide... not whether or not kb/m is better or worse than controller
[/QUOTE]

Um, I'm not talking about preferences. He literally won't be able to compete online on TF2 if he uses a controller. He'll get completely destroyed by K&M users. That's just the limitation of a controller without something in place to accommodate it (auto-aim, keyboard & mouse slightly gimped, etc.)

I imagine he wants to use the controller because he is have troubles getting accustomed to K&M. That would be fine if this was a single player game but online, he doesn't stand a chance. It would be even more frustrating to try and use a controller on TF2 than it would be to learn the K&M setup.

[quote name='Sporadic']Um, I'm not talking about preferences. He literally won't be able to compete online on TF2 if he uses a controller. He'll get completely destroyed by K&M users. That's just the limitation of a controller without something in place to accommodate it (auto-aim, keyboard & mouse slightly gimped, etc.)

I imagine he wants to use the controller because he is have troubles getting accustomed to K&M. That would be fine if this was a single player game but online, he doesn't stand a chance. It would be even more frustrating to try and use a controller on TF2 than it would be to learn the K&M setup.[/QUOTE]

Ok... I wasn't talking about preferences, so that makes the both of us... let me re-phrase my original sentence just in case.

OP isn't looking for whether the Xbox controller will be more or less competitive than KB/M.

[quote name='kilm']OP isn't looking for whether the Xbox controller will be more or less competitive than KB/M.[/QUOTE]

On purpose or out of ignorance?

Can't imagine anybody asking "hey how can I gimp my gaming experience and make a game even more frustrating to play", hence me giving him the heads up.

[quote name='Sporadic']On purpose or out of ignorance?

Can't imagine anybody asking "hey how can I gimp my gaming experience and make a game even more frustrating to play", hence me giving him the heads up.[/QUOTE]
Can someone just send the OP a guide!?

The easiest (and cheaper)way is using a Wired 360 controller.
If you already have a wireless controller you will need a wireless receiver.
Those run about 20 bones and can be hard to find.

Here is your guide
1.Download the Driver/Software package __HERE__
2.plug and play

as long as the game(s) in question supports game pads you should be good to go

*not @ OP is it really that hard to answer a question without giving him shit about how he wants to play

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back