Black Friday HDTV deals thread

freshzen

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
I figured I'd make a topic where all BF HDTV deals can be shared and discussed.

I'll start by posting some of the more appealing deals that have been posted so far.

Best Buy:
Samsung (LN40B500P3FXZA) [40" 1080p 60Hz LCD) $597
Sony (KDL-32L504) [32" 720p 60Hz LCD] $377

New Egg:
Sharp (LC-46SB57U) [46" 1080p 120Hz LCD] $699

Sears:
Panasonic (TC-P42S1) [42" 1080p Plasma] $649
Samsung (LN40B500) [40" 60Hz 1080p LCD] $599
Samsung (PN50B430)) [50" 720p Plasma] $699
Sharp (LC19SB27UT) [19" 720p LCD] $179
Vizio (VO320E) [32" 720p LCD] $349

Target:
Apex (LD4088) [40" 1080p LCD] $449
Westinghouse [32" 720p LCD] $249

Wal-Mart:
Emerson (PL-P42W-10A) [42" 720 plasma] $448
Sansui (HDLCD1909) [19" 720p LCD] $128
Samsung (LN40B500) [40" 60Hz 1080p LCD] $599

Last edited by a moderator:
Still no ad from Best Buy out yet, Kmart only had 1 house brand 26" for $249. I didn't bother to post any bigger more expensive sets (1k+) but I can if somebody wants to make suggests as to what to add. Personally I'm considering getting one of the Panasonic plasmas, granted the 46" at Wal-Mart is probably already really hard to get since that is the price currently.

Thanks for starting this. I'm looking to buy a medium sized tv (32-42in) for my bedroom and have been holding out for black friday.

I'll say this again, as I said this in the VGD BF thread.

Keep an eye out for online retailers like Amazon.com, NewEgg.com, JR.com, 6ave.com and OneCall.com for good deals. My two TV BF purchases from BF 2006 and BF 2008 were online deals that were much better than any B&M deal.

I'd suggest posting all the TV deals, as if you're not interested in a $1K+ TV, someone else might be.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Thanks for starting this. I'm looking to buy a medium sized tv (32-42in) for my bedroom and have been holding out for black friday.[/QUOTE]

You and I are in the same boat my friend. I have my fingers crossed for the both of us.

[quote name='freshzen']I didn't bother to post any bigger more expensive sets (1k+) but I can if somebody wants to make suggests as to what to add.[/QUOTE]

If you could, I'd appreciate it, unless they're basically just regular price.

[quote name='tgk2044']If you could, I'd appreciate it, unless they're basically just regular price.[/QUOTE]

So far Sears is really the only one that has an ad so far and none of their deals on bigger sets were impressive really.

[quote name='King Royalty']Wal Mart 46" Plasma for $788? Rip off

and your not posting most of the tv deals they are having, Sears has a 50" Samsung Plasma for $699[/QUOTE]

That specific Plasma you're talking about is only 720p, I don't see the point in going that big with only 720p, there is a big difference in blu-ray in my opinion.

I'm hoping for a good deal on a 26" or 32"

That westinghouse 32" from target for $250 doesn't seem too bad, but it's probably a doorbuster, and there is no way I'm waking up before 7am, especially because I'll probably have to work.

[quote name='Brownjohn']I'm hoping for a good deal on a 26" or 32"

That westinghouse 32" from target for $250 doesn't seem too bad, but it's probably a doorbuster, and there is no way I'm waking up before 7am, especially because I'll probably have to work.[/QUOTE]

Can anyone comment on the quality of Westinghouse TVs? 250 for a 32inch seems right up my alley if the quality is right.

[quote name='freshzen']That specific Plasma you're talking about is only 720p, I don't see the point in going that big with only 720p, there is a big difference in blu-ray in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Thats nice and all but rather than deciding for everyone how about just putting it in the OP like a good little boy and letting people decide for themselves.

[quote name='shrike4242']I'll say this again, as I said this in the VGD BF thread.

Keep an eye out for online retailers like Amazon.com, NewEgg.com, JR.com, 6ave.com and OneCall.com for good deals. My two TV BF purchases from BF 2006 and BF 2008 were online deals that were much better than any B&M deal.

I'd suggest posting all the TV deals, as if you're not interested in a $1K+ TV, someone else might be.[/QUOTE]

True, my siblings and I want to get an HDTV for my parents this year and I really hope I can find a good deal online. I plan on going to some sotres on BF but I know I can get a better deal on a TV online. That Vizio Sears has for $350 does not look too bad though.

[quote name='freshzen']I figured I'd make a topic where all BF HDTV deals can be shared and discussed.

I'll start by posting some of the more appealing deals that have been posted so far.

Sears:
Panasonic (TC-P42S1) [42" 1080p Plasma] $649
Samsung (LN40B500) [40" 1080p LCD] $599
Vizio (VO320E) [32" 720p LCD] $349

Target:
Apex (LD4088) [40" 1080p LCD] $449
Westinghouse [32" 720p LCD] $249

Wal-Mart:
Panasonic (TC-P46U1) [46" 1080p Plasma] $788[/QUOTE]

best buy has a Panasonic - VIERA / 42" Class / 720p / 600Hz / Plasma HDTV for 550 now (was 498)

hoping for a good deal

HH gregs has Panasonic 32" Class VIERA® X1 Series LCD HDTV with 3 HDMI™ Inputs (31.5" diagonal size)
for 370 friday and saturday

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Can anyone comment on the quality of Westinghouse TVs? 250 for a 32inch seems right up my alley if the quality is right.[/QUOTE]

i have a 32" westinghouse. ive had it for 3 years. so far i havent had any issues with it. i think its noticeably better than my 42" lg 1080p lcd.
id heard the model that replaced it wasnt as good but im not sure abotu the current models.

Brandsmart has a 32" Sharp for $350 after tax. Just picked it up today so I know that for sure.

it's 720p

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Apathetic-Irony']$250 for a 32" TV sounds like a great deal. What are the odds of others coming out with a 32"+ for under $300?[/QUOTE]

I really wouldn't be surprised if Best Buy has their 32" Insignias for $299 or less. At $249 I'd pick the Insignia over the Westinghouse but if it is $299 you might be better off spending the extra $50 for a name brand, or saving $50 on the WH. Either of the house brands should be fine for gaming and DVDs, especially if its your first HDTV.

[quote name='freshzen']I really wouldn't be surprised if Best Buy has their 32" Insignias for $299 or less. At $249 I'd pick the Insignia over the Westinghouse but if it is $299 you might be better off spending the extra $50 for a name brand, or saving $50 on the WH. Either of the house brands should be fine for gaming and DVDs, especially if its your first HDTV.[/QUOTE]

id honestly check the individual feedback for each model, insignias could be a number of big name displays rebadged. every brand has stinkers and you might be able to snag a solid display thats been rebadged on the cheap.
also, theres a good chance youll see a lot of the door buster displays open box the following week.

I've had a Westinghouse 32"lcd720p for 4 years now and I've have no problems with it. 250.00 is a steal.Btw, this thread is great cause I'm looking for a bigger tv and I've been holding out for BF.

Yeah my Grandma needs a new TV so I will probably get that Westinghouse for her cause she doesn't need anything more than that. If I could find a 26 for around that price I would be happy for her cause 32 is kind of big for the space it is going in.

Won't be my first HDTV -- already have a 50" Samsung 720p downstairs. Just need something besides an old 20" CRT TV to play PS3 on =]

Will Amazon price match?

[quote name='Apathetic-Irony']Won't be my first HDTV -- already have a 50" Samsung 720p downstairs. Just need something besides an old 20" CRT TV to play PS3 on =]

Will Amazon price match?[/QUOTE]

They dont do price matching on request, but they do aggressively watch competitors.

I bought a 32" Westinghouse in 2007 from Best Buy and they seem to break about after a year of use unless you are lucky. After multiple exchanges am now on the third one which stopped working a few weeks ago. (I bought the Best Buy service plan, so am currently waiting for "geek squad" -takes about two weeks to get an appointment in my experience-) Was my first hdtv purchase and I totally regret it.

Well the Best Buy ad went up and they had a Dynex 32" for $299, like I said before you should probably spend a little more for a better brand (at least a Toshiba =P) or get the Westinghouse if you don't mind risking it a bit. I do think WH has bad customer reviews for the most part.

I just copied this from Blackfriday.info

Dynex 19" 720p LCD HDTV (Model # DX-L19-10A) - $149.99
Dynex 32" 720p LCD HDTV (Model # DX-L321-10A) - $299.99
Dynex 40" 1080p 60Hz LCD HDTV (Model # DX-L40-10A) - $499.99
Insignia 42" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV (Model # NS-L42Q120-10A) -$699.99
LG 32" 1080p LCD HDTV (Model # 32LH30-UA) - $439.99
Panasonic Viera 50" 1080p Plasma HDTV (Model # TC-P50U1) w/Blu-ray Disc Player (Model # DMP-BD60K) - $999.98
Samsung 32" 1080p LCD HDTV (Model # LN32B530P7F) - $497.99
Samsung 32" 720p LCD HDTV (Model # LN32B360C5D) - $397.99
Samsung 40" 1080p 60Hz LCD HDTV (Model # LN40B500P3FXZA) - $597.99
Samsung 42" 720p Plasma HDTV (Model # PN42B400P3DXZA) - $547.99
Samsung 46" 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV (Model # UN4686000VF) - $1599.99
Samsung 46" 1080p LCD HDTV (LN46B500P3FXZA) - $847.99
Samsung 50" 1080p Plasma HDTV (Model # PN50B530S2F) - $897.99
Samsung 50" 720p Plasma HDTV (Model # PN50B430P2D) - $697.99
Sony 32" 720p 60Hz LCD HDTV (Model # KDL32L504) - $377.99
Sony 40" 1080p 60Hz LCD HDTV (Model # KDL40S504) - $662.99
Sony 46" 1080p 60Hz LCD HDTV (Model # KDL465504) - $852.99

In my opinion none of those really beat Sears or Targets deals. If you really want a Samsung you're better off checking online deals because all of BBs Samsungs are 2nd rate (60hz) or not that great of a price.

I saw this 42 inch Sharp LCD on Walmart.com for about $498. Looks to be a pre-Black Friday deal. But it looks like a 60hz. Runs at 1080p. I should be aiming for at least 120hz, right?

[quote name='The0ne']I saw this 42 inch Sharp LCD on Walmart.com for about $498. Looks to be a pre-Black Friday deal. But it looks like a 60hz. Runs at 1080p. I should be aiming for at least 120hz, right?[/QUOTE]
No, you should be aiming for a Plasma if you're going to be doing any gaming. Trust me. Unless your TV space is limited.

[quote name='Be3fJerky']No, you should be aiming for a Plasma if you're going to be doing any gaming. Trust me. Unless your TV space is limited.[/QUOTE]

This isn't right.

Plasmas DO have high refresh rates (often 600hz), but even 60hz LCD's look outstanding for gaming. 120hz LCD's and 240hz LCD's, to some people, are even better than 60hz (smoother motion) but it's all personal preference whether you want to spend more for a higher refresh rate. Plasmas often aren't much more expensive, but you also sacrifice 1080p for 720p in alot of cheap Plasmas.

Plasmas will also DIE twice as fast as LCD's. Saying you need a plasma, "trust me", isn't really the best advice for everyone.

[quote name='Be3fJerky']No, you should be aiming for a Plasma if you're going to be doing any gaming. Trust me. Unless your TV space is limited.[/QUOTE]

Not really interested in a plasma. And yes, my TV space is limited. Anything from 32-42 inches would be fine.

Here is an article from Consumer Reports for those debating Plasma vs. LCD

“No one would buy a plasma TV anymore, would they?” Financial journalist Joe Kernen posed that question to a tech-stock analyst on CNBC’s Squawk Box program Monday morning. The analyst didn’t answer Joe directly, but instead started touting LED TVs—a marketing term for LCD sets that use LED backlighting—as the wave of the future. (The exchange happens around minute 3:30 of the CNBC video clip, embedded below.)
Well, I’d like to answer Joe’s question about plasmas directly, with a resounding YES! Many consumers (including me and a number of the experts who test TVs for Consumer Reports) have bought plasma TVs. I, for one, will vote with my pocketbook once again. I plan to buy a second plasma TV with a bigger screen (my current set is 42 inches, and my room is big enough for a 50-incher). As our tests show month in and out, the best plasma TVs have excellent picture quality, certainly as good as any LCD set’s and perhaps even better. In our judgment, and that of other experts in the field, plasma TVs can display depth and richness that result in a more dimensional, cinematic look than on most LCD TVs, including those pricey new LED-backlit models.
Plasma TVs also have advantages that no LCD can match. Perhaps the most significant is their unlimited viewing angle, which means everyone in the room can enjoy the same great picture quality from any viewing position. With almost all LCD TVs, the picture quality can be great from head on, but it deteriorates as you move away from dead center, so the screen can look washed out or dim, or colors can shift, sometimes dramatically. (For more, see "Viewing angle still the Achilles heel for most LCD TVs."
What about those new LCD technologies? They're not advances, but solutions to problems inherent in LCD technology. LED backlighting with local dimming address LCD’s difficulty displaying deep black levels, and 120Hz and 240Hz refresh rates are designed to minimize blur in fast motion. In both cases, LCDs are trying to catch up with plasma technology (which, in itself, is trying to match good old CRT technology, still the gold standard in both areas). The fixes to LCDs work to some extent, but they can introduce undesirable side effects. Local dimming, for example, can cause halos around objects, and faster refresh rates that are coupled with motion smoothing can give film programming an odd, unnaturally video-like look.
Oh, and let's dispel some lingering misconceptions about plasma. You don’t have to worry about a plasma set’s short life, high energy costs, or permanent burn-in. Those problems no longer exist. One caveat: It is true that plasma sets don’t look their best in very bright rooms where you can’t close blinds or dim the lights. In such settings, LCDs tend to hold their picture quality better and suffer from less glare, though some screens are quite reflective.
All things considered, it’s obvious (to me, at least, as a user and someone who looks at dozens of TVs every month) that you shouldn’t automatically think LCD when you’re shopping for your next set. But I’m sure plenty of LCD fans would disagree. Let’s hear it!—Eileen McCooey

[quote name='Bootleg Zani']The Panasonic 50" for $500 better happen. 6th Avenue is the one to keep the eye on the most.[/QUOTE]

1080p?! If so I'm so down for it. :D

Though if possible I'd love to see Best Buy do a Kuro for $1000 online only on BF.

Plasma's are still trash for gaming. I've demo'd 2 sets recently that handled them decently out of 10, all high-end models, but no where near the perfection of even the shittiest LCD's. It's so funny listening to people who just want bigger sets or the plasma, to impress their friends. If you care about graphics and gaming exploitation and immersion, make sure you demand to demo a game on each set you consider, and do your research. Just because a set can display 1080p and it's big and cheap doesn't make it a value.

Most have seemed to have seen the Panasonic Plasmas as the closest to the heir apparent of the Kuro so I just wouldn't bash the 1080p Viera's that are 50" being at $1K. These aren't just crap.
I want to game and watch movies on a Plasma though truth but told I'd love it on an OLED.

I have a Plasma set and a LCD set and needless to say my LCD kicks my plasma's ass.

Also if you guys strike out on BF don't despair. The best time of year to buy sets is the week after the superbowl. A ton of sets pretty much get rented by folks and the retailors have to sell them as open box buys after they are returned. I got both of my TVs at much lower than their retail price

[quote name='Vader']Here is an article from Consumer Reports for those debating Plasma vs. LCD

“No one would buy a plasma TV anymore, would they?” Financial journalist Joe Kernen posed that question to a tech-stock analyst on CNBC’s Squawk Box program Monday morning. The analyst didn’t answer Joe directly, but instead started touting LED TVs—a marketing term for LCD sets that use LED backlighting—as the wave of the future. (The exchange happens around minute 3:30 of the CNBC video clip, embedded below.)
Well, I’d like to answer Joe’s question about plasmas directly, with a resounding YES! Many consumers (including me and a number of the experts who test TVs for Consumer Reports) have bought plasma TVs. I, for one, will vote with my pocketbook once again. I plan to buy a second plasma TV with a bigger screen (my current set is 42 inches, and my room is big enough for a 50-incher). As our tests show month in and out, the best plasma TVs have excellent picture quality, certainly as good as any LCD set’s and perhaps even better. In our judgment, and that of other experts in the field, plasma TVs can display depth and richness that result in a more dimensional, cinematic look than on most LCD TVs, including those pricey new LED-backlit models.
Plasma TVs also have advantages that no LCD can match. Perhaps the most significant is their unlimited viewing angle, which means everyone in the room can enjoy the same great picture quality from any viewing position. With almost all LCD TVs, the picture quality can be great from head on, but it deteriorates as you move away from dead center, so the screen can look washed out or dim, or colors can shift, sometimes dramatically. (For more, see "Viewing angle still the Achilles heel for most LCD TVs."
What about those new LCD technologies? They're not advances, but solutions to problems inherent in LCD technology. LED backlighting with local dimming address LCD’s difficulty displaying deep black levels, and 120Hz and 240Hz refresh rates are designed to minimize blur in fast motion. In both cases, LCDs are trying to catch up with plasma technology (which, in itself, is trying to match good old CRT technology, still the gold standard in both areas). The fixes to LCDs work to some extent, but they can introduce undesirable side effects. Local dimming, for example, can cause halos around objects, and faster refresh rates that are coupled with motion smoothing can give film programming an odd, unnaturally video-like look.
Oh, and let's dispel some lingering misconceptions about plasma. You don’t have to worry about a plasma set’s short life, high energy costs, or permanent burn-in. Those problems no longer exist. One caveat: It is true that plasma sets don’t look their best in very bright rooms where you can’t close blinds or dim the lights. In such settings, LCDs tend to hold their picture quality better and suffer from less glare, though some screens are quite reflective.
All things considered, it’s obvious (to me, at least, as a user and someone who looks at dozens of TVs every month) that you shouldn’t automatically think LCD when you’re shopping for your next set. But I’m sure plenty of LCD fans would disagree. Let’s hear it!—Eileen McCooey[/QUOTE]

That's fine. Some people DO like Plasmas...but to totally dismiss LCD's is ridiculous too. And the viewing angle problem with LCD's is almost non-existent anymore, I have no clue why Consumer Reports even brings that up.

If the life of Plasma TV's (my biggest gripe against them) truly is as long as LCD's, then I stand corrected.

while im a huge fan of plasmas displays as evidenced everytime the subject surfaces, i am aware there are circumstances when an lcd is the best choice.
but for a cag to say theyre trash for gaming is ridiculous and shows they clearly have no idea what theyre talking about.

also the viewng angle issue in lcd's is far from gone.
last years arguable king of lcd's, the samsung 950 line had absolutely terrible viewing angles.
the picture was substantialy degraded by as little as 15 degrees of center.

if you you dont have a very bright room, arent going to use the display as a computer monitor and want a display atleast 42" then for the dollar you cannot beat a decent plasma.

if someone has legitimate questions about plasmas performance ill gladly do my best to answer them, there is a lot of misinformation.

How's the life on Plasmas nowadays paz? That's my biggest gripe against them. I do love the high refresh rate and nice prices on some of them.

For the record, the viewing angle on my Samsung is not an issue. 15 degrees off center won't do anything to the picture. You would have to get nearly 60-70 degrees off center for it to be a problem, and by then you're practically looking at it from the side (a terrible angle for ANY viewing experience). I don't know about last years models, but shouldn't we be looking at this years models anyhow? :)

the components in the display will die before the screen, generally speaking. i see total life ranges of around 100,000 hours commonly. I dont expect the display to actually function that long. but thats no result of it being a plasma display, id expect the same from an lcd also. parts will fail long before.

viewing angle is inversely related to the picture quality of the lcd itself. because of what the display is doing the cone of viewing shrinks so youll see better viewing angle on lowered end lcd's. there have been articles specifically on the samsung line (not that its exclusive to them, its the tech as a whole) showing viewing angles decreasing as you move of the product line. without rereading anything I recall OLED suposedly being better in that regard.

I specifically mentioned last years models because thats the last batch I saw testing on.
And without considering an OLED which is beyond this thread, no new model will have significantly shrunk the problem.

thats a very basic explanation. I hope its sufficient.

this reply is cutting into some mw2 time =)

[quote name='BigBizzee']How's the life on Plasmas nowadays paz? That's my biggest gripe against them. I do love the high refresh rate and nice prices on some of them.

For the record, the viewing angle on my Samsung is not an issue. 15 degrees off center won't do anything to the picture. You would have to get nearly 60-70 degrees off center for it to be a problem, and by then you're practically looking at it from the side (a terrible angle for ANY viewing experience). I don't know about last years models, but shouldn't we be looking at this years models anyhow? :)[/QUOTE]

Even though you mentioned some tech specific examples, I will disagree :) My Samsung was a pretty good model in March when I bought it (40" 120hz - a $1700 TV at the time), and the viewing angles are still very good. There isn't a spot in my living room that has a bad picture.

Nonetheless...I can see the value of both types of sets. My point still stands that saying Plasma is the ONLY type to get for gaming is pretty silly.

[quote name='drone8888']Plasma's are still trash for gaming. I've demo'd 2 sets recently that handled them decently out of 10, all high-end models, but no where near the perfection of even the shittiest LCD's. It's so funny listening to people who just want bigger sets or the plasma, to impress their friends. If you care about graphics and gaming exploitation and immersion, make sure you demand to demo a game on each set you consider, and do your research. Just because a set can display 1080p and it's big and cheap doesn't make it a value.[/QUOTE]

Can anyone back this statement up? I'm leaning towards plasma because they seem a little better all around and newer plasmas supposedly last a long time and use way less energy than before.

I can think of some reasons I wouldn't want a Plasma but it's not solely for gaming. They consume more energy than LCD and give off more heat. Even though I keep hearing that they don't have burn in I'd still be worried about it. Finally, how long do Plasma's last compared to LCD? The only good thing at this point is the price.

[quote name='BigBizzee']Even though you mentioned some tech specific examples, I will disagree :) My Samsung was a pretty good model in March when I bought it (40" 120hz - a $1700 TV at the time), and the viewing angles are still very good. There isn't a spot in my living room that has a bad picture.

Nonetheless...I can see the value of both types of sets. My point still stands that saying Plasma is the ONLY type to get for gaming is pretty silly.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate the understanding that opinions can differ. its frustrating how these threads usually turn out.

and no plasmas arent the ONLY choice for gaming. especially if you want to use your display as a pc monitor then an lcd would usually be better.

[quote name='freshzen']Can anyone back this statement up? I'm leaning towards plasma because they seem a little better all around and newer plasmas supposedly last a long time and use way less energy than before.[/QUOTE]

no it cant be backed up because is a ridiculous statement.
they use less power but they still use a lot. the newer neo pdp displays use the least.
theres no validation to the life span of the screen being a consideration at all, other parts will almost certainly fail before. youre looking at 20 plus years of watching your display 12 hours a day everyday.

burn-in is really a thing of the past. some pdp's will get image retention. thats a lasting image on the screen that usually goes away without notice. as for heat, its hard to say, its certainly not enough for me to have noticed. my 42" lg lcd puts out a lot of heat and i notice it when i get close to the display. i dont notice heat when im near the plasma.
i wouldnt consider either of those in a decision at all.

unless you have certain needs that favor the other just buy the display you like for the price you can afford.

bread's done
Back