Zangeki no REGINLEIV (formerly Dynamic Slash), from Nintendo & Sandlot, set for Japan

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!
o0210030010304765538.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379511
Some folks may remember Dynamic Slash as being a part of that new games video montage at October 2008's Nintendo conference. No new information was released about it after the conference, until now, when it was announced along with Hotel Dusk 2 for the DS.

Details are still scarce, but according to the link above, its name has been changed to Zangeki no REGINLEIV, and it is set to release in Japan February 11, 2010. It will feature 4-player online co-op, and it is intended to receive a CERO D content rating (Japanese equivalent of the ESRB's M rating). It is being published by Nintendo and developed by Sandlot (RAD: Robot Alchemic Drive, Chousoujuu Mecha MG, Earth Defense Force 2017).

Trailer

Last edited by a moderator:
The colour and bloom is beautiful. Any idea what the new name translates to? I can't seem to get a proper translation from my usual online translators.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379511&page=6
As pointed out in the Hotel Dusk thread, there's a guy over at 2chan that allegedly went to a Nintendo retailer briefing and obtained information on Hotel Dusk 2 and Zangeki no Reginleiv, translated by duckroll of NeoGAF:
[quote name='duckroll']There is no detailed report on Reginleiv yet, but he will put one up later tonight. He mentions the game supports both Motion+ as well as the classic controller and that it is a surprisingly violent game. You can target the heads and limbs of enemies in the game, and slice off both heads and limbs complete with blood effects. It definitely earns the CERO D rating. The setting of the game is an EDF style action game pitting young deities against a race of giants. The free online play is for co-op, and supports up to 4 players. There will be weapon customization, featuring over 300 different weapons.[/quote]
(The 2ch guy said that he would post a detailed report, but has not done so yet. However, the above info checks out, as it is also mentioned at a Japanese store page for the game)

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/11/16/zangeki_reginleiv_detailed/
Anoop translated the product page from that retailer link posted above. It is a Norse-themed game, and Freyr and Freyja are the playable characters.

Nintendo hasn't been forthcoming with details on its upcoming Wii kill-all action title Zangeki Reginleiv, but retailers thankfully aren't being so shy. Neowing posted a listing for the game today, providing a few additional details above what leaked out last week.

As detailed last week, Zangeki Reginleiv is an original action title from Sandlot, makers of D3's well-received Earth Defense Force series. The game was first announced last year under the name Dynamic Zan (or Dynamic Slash) but disappeared off the radar until it resurfaced at what appears to have been a retailer briefing last week.

Based off the Neowing listing, it seems that Reginleiv will offer a mix of close and distant combat. When fighting the hoards of foes up close, you make use of your sword. Distant enemies area dealt with via magic.

The game promises huge stages as you face off against a race of "giant gods" who overwhelm you with both power and number. You'll have to clear a particular goal in order to advance to the next stage and advance the story. The retail listing is unclear on the nature of this goal. The wording suggests to me that it may be a target kill count rather than a more general mission objective.

Free online play could be one of the big selling points. Up to four players can meet in a lobby and head out for cooperative play. It seems that the enemies will also cooperate amongst themselves during co-op mode.

Multiplayer seems to be online-only, with offline play limited to one player. Unless the Neowing listing is incomplete, split screen play looks unlikely.

The spec section of the retail listing includes support for Wii Motion Plus and Classic Controller Pro. For the motion control side of things, the game will allow for direct hack and slash play.

The listing also mentions the availability of two playable characters. They're named Freyr and Freyja. In addition to unique attacks, they have access to different weapons. The game game promises over 300 weapons.

Nintendo's first D-rated (17-and-up) Japanese Wii release arrives on February 11. It's priced at ¥6,800 which is about ¥1,000 higher than most Nintendo releases.

This is looking like it could turn out very well. If nothing else it will help pass the time till Monster Hunter 3 comes out.

More info:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=18517992#post18517992
[quote name='duckroll']The Reginleiv report is up. Here's a summary:

- Two playable characters: Freyr and Freyja. They're siblings in the game, which is based on Norse mythology and Ragnarok.

- Freyr uses melee weapons like swords, spears, hammers, etc. Freyja uses range weapons like bows and magic. The 300+ wepaons available in the game are separated between the two characters. It's totally like EDF2.

- You are allowed to bring 3 weapons into each mission. When you defeat enemies, you gain mana. You use mana to "create" new weapons using alchemy. I suppose it's easier to just think of mana as currency, and new weapons as stuff you development along weapon trees available for each character.

- There are NPCs in various missions, like villagers running for safety, or other soldiers fighting alongside you. Similar to how it was in EDF2 and EDF3 I suppose.

- The game is normally running at 30fps, but like all Sandlot games, the framerate is "variable" (lol). It can climb up to 60fps, or dip to below 20fps. Apparently the game is programmed to take these framerate drops into account so it won't hinder the actual controls in the game, but... lol anyway. EDF!!!!!!!

- There are 5 difficulty settings for each mission, like in EDF. Very Easy, Easy, Normal, Hard and Inferno.

- For range weapons, Freyja uses homing and lock-on to fire her arrows. From what he says, it sounds like how ZoE and Panzer Dragoon handles it. A bow at lvl1 can apparently lock on to 4-6 targets at once, but the number increases with higher level weapons. When you use magic, it consumes MP, which you regenerate by defeating enemies. Not sure if MP is the same as Mana.[/quote]

A promotional flyer for ZnR and Last Window was posted over at GAF. It shows the above information, along with some updated screenshots.
Source
38684_Reginleiw_122_374lo.jpg

38826_Reginleiw2_122_177lo.jpg

I want this game, now. If NOA ends up being idiots, I'll just import it and call it a day, I hope they make an announcement soon. I rather play it in English.

But if not, no big deal, I'll import it like I've done with Another Code R, Captain Rainbow, and Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom. :D

I want this game badly, if I don't hear anything by E3, I'm importing it. I refuse to miss this title because NOA has a big dick in their ears lol :D

bread's done
Back