Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Official Sears Clearance Thread II - post Sears finds/deals here

• Please log in to reply
9866 replies to this topic

#3931 TheHelix

TheHelix

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:43 AM

I thought Sears was bad until I went into an MCX and Genji 2 was still full price.

#3932 xDerekRx

xDerekRx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:59 AM

It will take time but eventually one of 2 things will happen.
1) Realizing they are sitting on games that are 3 years old they will have a massive clearance (specially those sports games with 08 and 09 in the title) and clear some room for new merchandise (not necessarily video games).
2) They will sell all those older games they can't get rid of for $20 to one of those local "outlet stores" or national ones like Big Lots.
The good news is they will sell for under $10. The bad news is it will be totally YMMV. I have such a store in my area and they are selling Xbox, Wii, PS3 and PSP games for $5.99 that came from a store called "FRED MEYER". I know this because the sticker was still left on some of these items and the price on it was $19.99. Which is way too much for the Bigs 09 or the show 09 even for the PS3.............$6 might still be too much but at least it is reasonable.
Kmart and Sears will eventually have to get rid of those games as they become worthless with each passing season. Let's face it, most items in the electronics section is like produce.

Heres the problem. I mentioned this about a month or so ago when I worked in the Sears Electronics department.

Its easy to say that Sears/Kmart will soon wise up and go back to clearance because games will pile up. But an odd system allows this to not happen really.

At Sears, games that do not sell for a period of time show up on a "non active inventory" report. Things that just arent selling. What happens next is that a Manager will use his own opinion to mark it down to whatever he wants. For example 4 months ago Secret Agent Clank for PSP was like 19.97 at all Sears. However it sat so long that my store marked it down to $1.97. Another Sears nearby had it down to 4.97. Another one had it for 9.97. No uniform pricing and they can be marked down any day that the manager sees fit so theres no uniform date for a drop.

So basically the old crappy games will move, but at the discretion of the Electronics Manager. So basically what you get is a YMMV crapshoot of clearance. I believe if they dont mark them down they zero out in the system and cant be sold.

So this works against Caggers in two ways. It makes it impossible to read what a store will do since its YMMV. And it will also slowly clear out old stock which wont motivate Sears to continue clearance pricing games.

I hope this whole system changes as I havent worked at Sears in a few months but thats the trend I saw.

Part of me honestly things the clearance pricing will return at some point in spring when sales slow down.

#3933 bredbu

bredbu

I love Lamp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:50 AM

. I believe if they dont mark them down they zero out in the system and cant be sold.

im pretty sure sears policy is if it doesnt ring it up they sell if for like 85 percent off original price or something i cant remember but i know i found guitar hero world tour and it was out of system and they sold it to me for 5 bucks which wasnt bad

#3934 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:31 PM

I found a huge-ass wire bin of games at the store by my office. There were literally 100 games in there, stacked in 2 layers and divided by a wooden shelf. I scanned a handful with April, May and September clearance stickers on them, and they rang up full price ($30). Bullshit, man.

yeap same here.. they took off all of the clearance stickers and pushed the games back to normal price.. even with memory cards and picture key chains
WOOOO I STINK

#3935 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:08 PM

yeap same here.. they took off all of the clearance stickers and pushed the games back to normal price.. even with memory cards and picture key chains

I wonder if that means the lone copy of :ps3:Rainbow Six Vegas 2 at my closest Sears is back up to MSRP now as well.

I hope not. I was hoping to pick it up sometime in the spring, since it's on the old clearance pricing schedule and should drop a whole $1 a month for the next six months till it's $2-3.:lol:

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#3936 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:08 PM

What sucks at most Sears that causes games to never move is the games are locked up, but there is no indication whatsoever about the prices of any title. The Kmart near me is the same, but there are at least a few price tags.

In any other store, they'll be individually labeled.

Oh, and those annoying $9.99 and up bins at both stores, still with no prices. The only way to know is to carry every title to the scanner, if the store has one. Or ask a clerk, who never acts like they want to help anyways. Then they all ring up for $19.99 and $29.99 anyways, so you go the easy route and shop somewhere else, where the employees do work and mark each item.

#3937 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:44 PM

What sucks at most Sears that causes games to never move is the games are locked up, but there is no indication whatsoever about the prices of any title. The Kmart near me is the same, but there are at least a few price tags.

In any other store, they'll be individually labeled.

Oh, and those annoying $9.99 and up bins at both stores, still with no prices. The only way to know is to carry every title to the scanner, if the store has one. Or ask a clerk, who never acts like they want to help anyways. Then they all ring up for $19.99 and $29.99 anyways, so you go the easy route and shop somewhere else, where the employees do work and mark each item.

That's what I liked MOST about my closest Sears stores is that the clearance prices were NEVER marked right, so you'd get stuff marked MSRP for $1.97 eventually and it'd keep normal shnook consumers from buying everything up.

Everything being marked right=nothing left by the time it gets to a GOOD price.

Posted Image

#3938 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:57 PM

I checked the ONLY clearance game still around at my closest Sears today and I learned it's STILL frickin' $12.97.:roll:

:ps3:Rainbow Six Vegas 2-$12.97

Posted Image

#3939 dabamus

dabamus

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:12 AM

I spotted a bunch of dj heroes for 360 today for $30. Ps3 was still $50 though.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Too bad I see him being hit by a parked bus in the near future.

#3940 YoshiFan1

YoshiFan1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:00 AM

I printed out some UPCs to see if any old PS2 games dropped, some are more than MSRP:
GH Rock the 80's PS2, $49.99!
Rock Band Track Pack 1 PS2, $19.99
Guitar Hero World Tour PS2, $39.99
Rock Band 2 PS2, $19.99
Lips (360), $49.99, I guess this will never go on clearance at that store

I figured some PS2 games might be on clearance since most stores are cutting back on their PS2 game selections but that isn't happening. I also saw NHL 07 for the 360 for $29.99, it's only over 4 years old, what's the rush to put it on clearance?

#3941 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:23 PM

I think I've walked into Sears twice in the past 6 months, and I live less than a mile from one. Not that I buy anything else there, because everything always cost 20% or more than pretty much any other store. They wanted like $50 for a bathroom trashcan, and this was on sale. Really?

#3942 snowmint

snowmint

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:56 PM

So I see Donkey Kong Barrel Blast at my sears. Could it be clearanced out already or even be zeroed out if I ring it up?

#3943 flix1

flix1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:38 PM

I am glad that I can use my Sears gift cards at Kmart.

#3944 TheHelix

TheHelix

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:37 PM

So while video game clearance continues to rot, I got a LEGO Atlantis set for my nephew half off for 7.50, and signed up for the stupid loyalty program.

WHY SEARS WHY

#3945 Josef

Josef

Touched the dead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:40 PM

I remember the good old days where I would go on the first Friday of the month and scan away at the games, many times finding good markdowns. That's all just a distant memory now.

I have to wonder though what's going to happen when they start running out of display space for all the older games that aren't selling because they're so much cheaper everywhere else.

#3946 SHC-Gamer

SHC-Gamer

Kmart/Sears Official Rep

• Retailer Representative

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:43 PM

I remember the good old days where I would go on the first Friday of the month and scan away at the games, many times finding good markdowns. That's all just a distant memory now.

I have to wonder though what's going to happen when they start running out of display space for all the older games that aren't selling because they're so much cheaper everywhere else.

I won't stay in long as I don't want to mess with the integrity of the thread at all, but I just wanted to say that clearance drops will occur again next month. Thanks.

#3947 typical guy

typical guy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:50 PM

I won't stay in long as I don't want to mess with the integrity of the thread at all, but I just wanted to say that clearance drops will occur again next month. Thanks.

How much will they drop? For all systems?

#3948 SHC-Gamer

SHC-Gamer

Kmart/Sears Official Rep

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:52 PM

How much will they drop? For all systems?

Hasn't been determined yet, but the budget opens up again in Feb.

#3949 Josef

Josef

Touched the dead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:54 PM

I believe you mentioned the KMart drops in the KMart thread. Are the Sears drops going to be the same titles for the same prices? Or should we expect something different from Sears?

#3950 htown01

htown01

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:57 PM

It had been since August '10 that I had not been to Sears but about a week and a half ago I went to a couple of stores to see if I can find something.

The games I found in the clearance bin in August were still there. The majority of the games were still marked $19.99 but took about 6 or so games to the scanner to see if they have dropped.

:shock: They were still $19.99. It didn't drop 1ยข :lol:

That's good to know :D

#3951 SHC-Gamer

SHC-Gamer

Kmart/Sears Official Rep

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:57 PM

I believe you mentioned the KMart drops in the KMart thread. Are the Sears drops going to be the same titles for the same prices? Or should we expect something different from Sears?

There will be similarities but also some variability depending upon weeks of supply etc.

Talk to you all later, I remember it not going to well when I was in the Kmart clearance thread so I'll definitely not make a splash here.

If any of you have any questions ever feel free to shoot me an email. Info can be located in the Kmartgamer thread OP.

#3952 Josef

Josef

Touched the dead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:59 PM

There will be similarities but also some variability depending upon weeks of supply etc.

Talk to you all later, I remember it not going to well when I was in the Kmart clearance thread so I'll definitely not make a splash here.

If any of you have any questions ever feel free to shoot me an email. Info can be located in the Kmartgamer thread OP.

No worries, and thanks for the info! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what you have in store in the next month :) May actually make me walk into a Sears again for the first time in a LONG time.

#3953 sabanoo

sabanoo

I like pie.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:01 PM

My local Sears sure could use it. They've had the same "clearance" games out on the floor forever now and in the few times I've gone there they've always been the same because they're at such high prices.

#3954 snowmint

snowmint

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:48 PM

whats the website that generates barcode scans for Sears again?

#3955 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:33 PM

upcdatabase.com

Posted Image

#3956 spedmunki

spedmunki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2011 - 04:41 PM

Fuck sears man...ever since Sears Holding people started posting clearance has died at Kmart/Sears.

Yup. And the big problem is that a lot of people don't care and drool over getting mediocre deals from reps. This is quickly turning into moderatelyfrugalgamer.com

#3957 irishsoccermbw

irishsoccermbw

Prosecution Rests

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:02 PM

I'm curious to see if the clearance drops will be decent older games that are still full price or NCAA Football 2008.

#3958 nbballard

nbballard

glad you didnt say banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:21 PM

Yup. And the big problem is that a lot of people don't care and drool over getting mediocre deals from reps. This is quickly turning into moderatelyfrugalgamer.com

I can't help but think that most of the games that people buy at clearance prices are impulse purchases, and not things that they'd truly be interested in playing. I buy Sears clearance when it's cheap- but if i thought about it i'd realize most of those games are things I passed on for a reason (Folklore, Lair, Wet, etc).

It sucks that the clearance has cleaned up, but I would rather know that I can get 30% off a game while a title is still relevant and new, than wait an unspecified amount of time for the posability that the game may or may not drop in price (at which point i still need luck if some soccer mom beats me to the store).
Spoiler

#3959 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:29 PM

I'm not convinced that the presence of the Sears reps on CAG had anything directly to do with clearance drying up. More than likely, when Sears got this new team handling games for the Sears and K-Mart stores, the change in clearance policies would have happened one way or the other, whether they were here on this site or not. Their appearance here is just one more sign of them being proactive about their jobs, not a cause for their actions.

I mean, that being said, it's obviously still valid to blame them for the change in clearance policies. But there's no point in the hostility toward the deals that they do post.

#3960 sdclippers

sdclippers

The Sinister Kid

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:38 PM

I for one applaude our new overlords.
My next girl better be nothing like my ex girl.