Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

• Please log in to reply
7302 replies to this topic

#3151 Righteous Nixon

Righteous Nixon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:36 PM

Watched Moneyball last night and I actually thought it was a very good film. It really surprised me cause I really had no desire to see this film and figured it would be just another sports film. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Fright Night (2011) Being a huge fan of David Tennant, couldn't pass it up, and they better make a sequel starring him. Man they really sped up Colin Farrell going beserk, though most things after was rather long.

This is why I didn't like the film, everything was rushed. I love the original and there was just no set up to this film. I thought the casting was very good, especially Peter Vincent, but the script sucked. 30 minutes in and you already had Charlies mother and girlfriend in on everything. I really wanted to like this film but the pacing ruined everything that made the original so great.

#3152 thenexus6

thenexus6

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:46 PM

Captain America , wasn't very good but looked nice on blu ray.

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

PSN the-nexus6 | Xbox Live Ken the Wizard
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie

#3153 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:45 PM

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Very good. I never read the books or saw the Swedish version so I went in fresh and really enjoyed what I saw. I'm excited for the next two movies but I'm going to try hard to not watch the Swedish versions.

#3154 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:28 PM

btw theres a documentary colin farrel did on netflix about the homeless world cup its not bad.

#3155 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:57 AM

The Hangover: Part II. I heard a lot of bad stuff about it, but I really liked it. Definitely not as much as the first, but it was still enjoyable.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#3156 thenexus6

thenexus6

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:26 AM

Star Wars A New Hope

Haven't watched a Star Wars film in so many years I can't remember.. I've been waiting to get the blu ray before watching them all again, so started last night with IV. Great stuff, looked really good on blu ray. Hope to watch Empire tonight!

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

PSN the-nexus6 | Xbox Live Ken the Wizard
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie

#3157 moon_knight

moon_knight

Gotta Have Blue Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:23 AM

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Before Sunrise
Before Sunset
Raging Bull

#3158 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:35 AM

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Very good. I never read the books or saw the Swedish version so I went in fresh and really enjoyed what I saw. I'm excited for the next two movies but I'm going to try hard to not watch the Swedish versions.

I think I would have liked it a lot more if I came in cold. Reading all three books and seeing the Swedish versions killed any of the factors that would have made this version more intriguing. Aside from some pacing issues at the end I thought Fincher did a very good job.

I saw Young Adult tonight, and so far I think it is probably the best movie I have seen all year. Charlize Theron was absolutely fantastic.

Posted Image

#3159 nCogNeato

nCogNeato

"Mr Neato" if you're nasty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

Posted Image

Pearl Jam Twenty (PJ20)

5/5 Stars

As an American white male between the ages of 25-50, I am obviously a fan of Pearl Jam. However, over the past 10 years, that all-to-common cliche has become more of a joke to me than a fact. I own most of their albums, I've seen them live, and I've watched a few documentaries about the band. But never have any of these things reflected to me so thoroughly why I (and millions of others) consider themselves a Pearl Jam fan. Thank you, Cameron Crowe (Jerry Maguire, Say Anything), for reminding me.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3160 mr_burnzz

mr_burnzz

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:00 PM

REC was nice. I think I might have enjoyed quarantine a bit more though. Also saw the strangers and that movie just pissed me off.

#3161 benjamouth

benjamouth

It's a Bobby Dazzler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:15 PM

Hugo, it wasn't what I was expecting at all but it was really good.

MST3K.gif

the+Woodmeister.pngr3jm5K2gQUCv3J-E0gqcBQ2.gif

#3162 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:00 PM

Due Date - Pretty entertaining though I thought Zach was better in The Hangover.

Fast Five - Easily, the most action packed of the series. I enjoyed watching this one.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3163 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:21 PM

http://www.focusfeat...er_spy/theatres

It's in about 40 theaters currently--still pretty limited since some are multiple theaters in the same city. Read on another forum that there are plans for a wider release on the 23rd and maybe a true wide release on Jan 6th dependent on how well it does, Oscar buzz etc.

The wide release of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy on Jan. 6th is happening.

http://www.focusfeat...er_spy/theatres

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#3164 dm85

dm85

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:29 PM

REC was nice. I think I might have enjoyed quarantine a bit more though. Also saw the strangers and that movie just pissed me off.

Agree there. Saw all 4 REC 1/2, Quarantine 1/2. By far my favorite was Quarantine.

Been watching a few of the old animated Disney films lately. Still great and take me back to my childhood. The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast. Wish they made them like that nowadays.

76561198098530585.png

#3165 VipFREAK

VipFREAK

Fun Knee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:09 PM

MI:GP - 8/10

Wasn't bad. I totally thought for some reason that was Alicia Keys... Turns out it was Paula Patton. There were a few things that were totally fake thanks to Mythbusters.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"

Trade List

#3166 TooMuchCoolness

TooMuchCoolness

Deep Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:21 AM

Bad Santa - 9/10

NighT_Ryder31.png

10-22-00NoMercy_zpsb3f716d7.gif

#3167 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:49 AM

Pontypool its a watcher and its a new spin on a known genre but in an odd way it straddle 2 genres.

#3168 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:09 AM

The Hoax.

Very good. Richard Gere was great in it. It's the story of Clifford Irving's fake biography of Howard Hughes.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#3169 Righteous Nixon

Righteous Nixon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:12 AM

I finally broke down and purchased a new copy of Chris Marker's La Jetee & Sans Soleil last month. My copy was stolen awhile back. Anyways, I finally kicked back and watched them last night. Those films just never get old. Absolutely brilliant work.

#3170 Broseph

Broseph

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:23 AM

Choke

Still collecting my thoughts about it - but leaning toward mind=blown.

I might have to check out Chuck Palahinuk's books. Or not. I'd like to remain sane.

#3171 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:11 AM

Agree there. Saw all 4 REC 1/2, Quarantine 1/2. By far my favorite was Quarantine.

Add me to the mix. I liked Quarantine. Some people hate her, but I think Jennifer Carpenter was awesome in that. I guess her acting style just added to the whole faux documentary feel.

#3172 IRHari

IRHari

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:27 PM

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Fincher version). Highly recommend it, but some scenes might be pretty graphic for some people.
"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power." -Bill Clinton

#3173 dm85

dm85

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:49 PM

(1) A Christmas Story: When you actually sit down and watch it it's an easy watch. (2) Black Hawk Down: Always a solid movie, plenty of action. So many well known actors in one film. (3) Scrooged: Always one of my faves and a quirky, modern day take on christmas carol.

76561198098530585.png

#3174 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:19 PM

Mission Impossible was pretty bland, I don't understand how it's like, the highest rated movie this year. A few cool set pieces were the highlights, but other than that the whole movie was largely just white noise to me.

6/10

UjCoyFa.png

#3175 Gears24

Gears24

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:56 PM

Fright Night actually enjoyed it.

#3176 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:41 AM

The Next Three Days.

I liked it a lot, not sure why the reviews were so bad (51% on Rotten Tomatoes).

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#3177 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:06 AM

The Next Three Days.

I liked it a lot, not sure why the reviews were so bad (51% on Rotten Tomatoes).

I never trust movie critic reviews. If you read the shit that most of them write, it's very apparent that they take their "job" way too seriously. It's a movie review, yet most of them feel the need to turn it into a long-winded love affair with their thesaurus. Not to mention the fact that most of the critics seem to be totally bi-polar in the way that they will pan a movie for being a popcorn movie with a thin plot one week and then applaud a mindless popcorn movie that's no better than the one they hated just a few weeks later.

#3178 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:12 AM

I don't read reviews, just check the aggregate score sites to get a general sense of whether it's getting mostly positive or negative reviews. I've not found any one critic whose tastes mirror mind, but I seem to have fairly mainstream tastes as I tend to like most things that are 80% or above, and not like all that many 60% or below generally.

I used to pay no attention to reviews at all, but as I've gotten older and busier I spend a bit more time vetting movies, games, books etc. before taking the plunge as free time has shrank so I'm more annoyed by wasting time on something I end up hating than when I was younger.

But even aggregate reviews aren't perfect for vetting things by any means. I only checked The Next Three Days out because of a family member's recommendation. I didn't think it looked all that great from the trailer and had passed on it due to reviews.

Edited by dmaul1114, 01 January 2012 - 04:17 PM.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#3179 AshesofWake

AshesofWake

chum is fum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:12 AM

The Next Three Days.

that means the movie was good actually. Rotten Tomatoes isnt a grade scale, its a percentage of positive to negative reviews. 51% means technically more than half of critics enjoyed it, thus it's rated "fresh." completely different than the 1-10 point scale.
WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE

Posted Image

Avatar record spinning: Pelican - Ataraxia/Taraxis EP

#3180 dm85

dm85

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:41 AM

Glory. Nuff Said. If you've never seen it give it a watch.

76561198098530585.png