Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

• Please log in to reply
7964 replies to this topic

#4291 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

@Wolfkin Yeah, if Disney bothered to split the movie in two or made it longer, the pacing could've been better. It did take a while for him to learn the Martian language, but I guess they really want to cram in and make better the significance of Carter's rebirths. Just seeing Carter become Dotar Sojat was enough for one movie, and then bringing in McNulty could've been the start of another one. I guess without McNulty they couldn't introduce Dejah quick enough.

Batsugunner.png

#4292 Necrozilla

Necrozilla

meeeeeeeeeeeeep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:10 AM

Prometheus - Must see.
Lived up to the trailers; only saw clips of the Alien movies (only watched the AvP ones) but was engrossed from start to end in Prometheus. Really, really liked the ship's design (Prometheus). I do have some questions though.
Spoiler

W A N TRdBqKD5.pngW A N T
H A V E03ol2Bg.pngH A V E

vTIvNK1.gifhlCUS8Z.gif

#4293 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

Finally saw There Must Be Blood. I liked the second lead (the twins) better than the main lead (Day-Lewis). Both really good performances. I also saw My Beautiful Launderette a few months ago. Been on a Day-Lewis kick, I guess.

Oh, now I get the milkshake thing.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4294 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:03 PM

Finally saw There Must Be Blood. I liked the second lead (the twins) better than the main lead (Day-Lewis). Both really good performances. I also saw My Beautiful Launderette a few months ago. Been on a Day-Lewis kick, I guess.

Oh, now I get the milkshake thing.

You know the twins are the same guy right?

#4295 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

I didn't enjoy There Will Be Blood; it just seemed to drag on for me.

For some reason, I put that movie and No Country For Old Men together in my head (I think because they're both set in Texas and came out around the same time). I really enjoyed No Country For Old Men and so There Will Be Blood just disappointed.

Daniel Day-Lewis was awesome as always, though.

#4296 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

Amazing Spider-Man - 3/5- It was ok, but that's about it. Been there, done that and the stuff we've seen before seemed to drag on forever. I don't really buy Garfield as Parker/Spidey yet, but Ifans knocked it out of the park as Connors.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#4297 Necrozilla

Necrozilla

meeeeeeeeeeeeep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

For some reason, I put that movie and No Country For Old Men together in my head (I think because they're both set in Texas and came out around the same time). I really enjoyed No Country For Old Men and so There Will Be Blood just disappointed.

NCFOLM had to delay filming because TWBB's oil smoke explosion scene.

W A N TRdBqKD5.pngW A N T
H A V E03ol2Bg.pngH A V E

vTIvNK1.gifhlCUS8Z.gif

#4298 dothog

dothog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

Of the two I'd definitely pick No Country, I don't even think Blood is close. No Country feels a lot more self-assured. Blood definitely had big energy on the strength of those performances, but that energy was wasted in winding its way around the story.

I agree that the pacing might've been off, I had that "waiting around" feeling as I watched it. However, in the moment I was really wrapped up in those two performances. It was definitely a good (quality) movie in that it engaged me: I wasn't just sitting through it, looking for cheap laughs, like I would at a summer blockbuster.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4299 nasum

nasum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:52 PM

I thought Limitless was pretty good except the ending which didn't even attempt to explain itself.

Really? Made sense to me...

RE: Haywire
Maybe it's just the settings on my stereo, but Gina's ADR sounded completely disembodied and not even a part of the film. Literally, the first thing out of her mouth in the coffee shop took me right out of the movie. Watching some of the special features made me think it was a mixing issue since her voice sounded pretty normal outside of the movie.
Great fights, especially the end of the street chase. Some of the things she did were just out of this world. The beach fight was a bit of a letdown, despite that amazing body all put together in the catsuit.

The Last House On The Left 2000's Edition:
Couldn't stand it after about 15 minutes. Too pervy with the girl being far too young looking. Not cool.

Bored To Death (HBO Series):
Apt title. Despite being a big fan of Jason Schwartzman in Huckabees and all the Wes Anderson movies as well as most of Zach Galifinakis's stuff, this show just drags and sort of annoys me.
3DS Buddy Code 2767-0055-5245 send a pm with your code if you add and I will return the favor
XBL - Nasum2

#4300 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

Seems like people like one and hate the other when it comes to those two movies.

I haven't seen There Will Be Blood yet, it's on my to do list, but I thought NCFOM was a terrible movie.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#4301 dothog

dothog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

Apt title. Despite being a big fan of Jason Schwartzman in Huckabees and all the Wes Anderson movies as well as most of Zach Galifinakis's stuff, this show just drags and sort of annoys me.

I think Bored to Death, at least the first 2 seasons, is a grower. Stick with it.

At first it was too jewy new yorky and dainty for me, but the part of me that's a big fan of hard-boiled fiction gave it a chance and stuck with it from the start. By the middle of the first season I'd recognized how much ass Ted Danson was kicking, and I stuck with the show until the bitter end.

And that end is bitter. It's really odd how all of a sudden, once the third season hit, a show that was so true to its characters just decided to ignore the things that made the characters who they are. The first 2 seasons are still fun, though. Give 'em a chance.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4302 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:14 AM

There Will Be Blood was exactly like Magnolia. People loved it or hated it. Nobody was really in the middle. I'd watch anything Daniel Day Lewis is in though. Guy is one of the best actors ever. He pretty much kept Gangs Of New York's head above water. Without him I think that movie would have been shitty as hell. Bill The Butcher is one of the film villains ever.

#4303 AshesofWake

AshesofWake

chum is fum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:02 AM

So. I saw Magic Mike last night. I'm not going to lie. It was enjoyable. Me and my friends(women) I went with only could find seats in the front. My biggest fear was gigantic penises flying at me. And you know what? There's not even a single penis in the movie. Guess what bewbs are shown on screen more than any actual penis. You see one, but it's blurred out while a guy is using a penis pump.

But other than that. It was quite enjoyable. It was more like a basic movie with stripping lightly sprinkled throughout. It wasn't bad at all. And holy shit I could not stop laughing at this one scene:
Spoiler

Not even really a spoiler but still. Anywhoozle. The movie ended on such a dark and depressing note I was so taken off gaurd. Haha. Anyways. Magic Mike was enjoyable.

#4304 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:32 AM

^ wife told me Olivia Munn goes topless in the movie... How did I never hear about that until now?

#4305 AshesofWake

AshesofWake

chum is fum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:37 AM

^ wife told me Olivia Munn goes topless in the movie... How did I never hear about that until now?

Yup right at the beginning too. This movie was made to deceive women. Haha.

#4306 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:48 AM

Yup right at the beginning too. This movie was made to deceive women. Haha.

Wife still thought it was great. Maybe I'll watch it on cable or something when it hits.

#4307 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:52 AM

saw some grainy still of that wasnt too impressed guess ill need to rent the br when it comes out lol. still remember her in that pie dive outfit.

#4308 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

saw some grainy still of that wasnt too impressed guess ill need to rent the br when it comes out lol. still remember her in that pie dive outfit.

I wasn't impressed by the stills either and then remembered she had her cell phone hacked and was naked before already and she was way thinner. Some people like that some don't but I thought the cell pictures were amazing. She also had long hair.

#4309 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

The Eternal Second Banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:20 PM

yes. I know people who loved this show and i never got it. I barely kept it in my rotation for two seasons. It wasn't a terrible or terribly written show. It just didn't interest me. Not on a high level, not on a low level.

Not everyone needs to look like a 16 year old girl cosplaying a 16 year old boy, every-Japanese-artist-ever.

Currently Playing
:wii: Bully - :ps3: Outland
Posted Image
Spoiler

#4310 VipFREAK

VipFREAK

Fun Knee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:49 PM

Your Highness - 2/10

I really really wish that the yahoo that posted about this in here (don't remember who) would've said start this movie from mid point because it would've saved ALOT of time... also then I could have given it a 3/10. Portman did help.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"

Trade List

#4311 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:13 AM

My wife went to see Magic Mike with her girlfriends. She actually said it was terrible and it even cured her of her "crush" on Matthew McKindOfGay (my name for him, not hers).

#4312 lolwhat

lolwhat

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

I feel like nothing happened in this film. Sounds like an awesome book, though.

#4313 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:32 PM

Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows -

A very good film. Harris was cast perfectly as the maniacal Prof. Moriarty (sure he could have been more maniacal but you don't want to overdue it). Law and Downey Jr. continued to play their roles very well. Frye and Rapace were good as well. The story is influenced by "The Final Problem" in that it features Moriarty and it ends similar. However, it was a wholly original story line that I enjoyed.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4314 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

Watched a couple $.99 Amazon rentals:

The Sitter- Not very good. There were a few funny parts here and there but it was pretty cliche for the most part. I wasn't expecting much and it delivered exactly what I was expecting, not much...

Capitalism: A Love Story- Phenomenal movie. My opinion is likely shaded by the fact that it summed up my thoughts and feelings about the country and economy of the last few years but it was definitely interesting and entertaining. I've never previously felt so strongly for a Michael Moore movie but this one really hit home for me.

#4315 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

Alien. I finally watched it, though I wonder what and when people of my age and demographic have actually seen this movie. If I could compare it to any movie, it is very much like the first Terminator, where scary stuff happens all the time, though the beginning was a bit boring. Years of watching tv, especially the Simpsons, have ruined much of the horror for me, but damn is it still terrifying.

Batsugunner.png

#4316 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

Safe House. It was alright. Formulaic and predictable, but still fairly entertaining.

Chronicle. Liked it more than I thought I would. One of the better found footage type movies IMO.

#4317 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

The Big Year was kind of charming, but the dry humor was more aimed at a niche crowd rather than the audience. Still charming, like Darjeeling Limited or Royal Tenenbaums but not as funny.

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo on the other hand had great buildup but a disappointing reveal and equally bad ending. I'm guessing this is meant to be a series?

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#4318 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo on the other hand had great buildup but a disappointing reveal and equally bad ending. I'm guessing this is meant to be a series?

It is a trilogy of books.

#4319 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:42 PM

Conan The Barbarian - 2.5/5 - I wanted to really like it, and I did like some aspects of it like Jason Mamoa, but the movie is just flat most of the time. The pacing is the biggest problem in my eyes. I really didn't need to spend 40-60 minutes getting to know Conan as a kid. Also, I though the narration by Morgan Freeman was really weird.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#4320 Nifty_Shark

Nifty_Shark

Still not The Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:02 PM

Beasts of the Southern Wild - A unique tale of a little girl dealing with abrupt changes to her environment and a very bizarre family dynamic. I did like it but I don't think I would recommend it as a film for entertainment. It is definitely well made and if you watch you will have an emotional reaction because they give you a lot of time understanding these characters. Still, something was missing. Perhaps the fantastical stuff in the film didn't work out all the way. Maybe it didn't need to be there. In a weird way it sort of reminds me of Slumdog Millionaire. Constant struggles that a strong character deals with.