• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:39 PM

I may be the only person to enjoy batman begins more than the dark knight

#4352 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

The Eternal Second Banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

That movie is awesome. A sleeper hit for sure.

I object to the thought that X-Men was a sleeper hit. However much of a hit it will ever be it's achieved it. Anchorman/MacGruber it is not.

I may be the only person to enjoy batman begins more than the dark knight

You good sir are not. While there are many aspects of TDK I like more than in BB, overall I did like BB more. They're both great movies though and to be fair the skin-colored joker thing really irritates me, because it's a change I don't think was needed to fit into the world he's created.

I would rate Batman Begins and the Dark Knight around the same range, but more at a 7.5. Nolan put sooo much effort in making us think Batman was hot-stuff, like his actions are soo freakin' important that I got a little sick of the movies. A good Batman story, like a good Law and Order or something, always leaves me sad about the city in general, and I respect Batman for his hard efforts, but Nolan's left me all "oh Batman's badass so I should feel sorry for him if things doesn't go his way."

dude I get that. WHile I abhor L&O you're basically saying you like Batman stories that end up with your feeling being about the city rather than ending up being about Batman. Like the Spawn spin-off comics. I get that.. but I don't see that sort of story working out in a movie. TV sure but in a movie.. closest I can get is Project X where the primary target for the film was not the three friends but the party itself (which is why the sequel is a bad idea)

Not everyone needs to look like a 16 year old girl cosplaying a 16 year old boy, every-Japanese-artist-ever.

Currently Playing
:wii: Bully - :ps3: Outland
Posted Image
Spoiler

#4353 Power50

Power50

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

Law Abiding Citizen, it was a a very good movie. Very thought provoking.

I saw your link to Jingit. Is the pay decent? and at what level do they pay?8-)

#4354 Nifty_Shark

Nifty_Shark

Still not The Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

To Rome With Love- fun movie that provides laughs

#4355 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:56 AM

The Amazing Spiderman. Got a little bored with going through the origin story again, but overall it was very good. A little darker than the Raimi films which I liked.

The Dark Knight Rises. I loved it. Perfect ending to the trilogy IMO. As a whole these rank up there with my favorite trilogies.

#4356 moon_knight

moon_knight

Gotta Have Blue Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:32 AM

Am I the only one who didn't like Amazing Spiderman? I thought it was dull.

#4357 bburpee

bburpee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:10 AM

Dark Knight Rises... general non-spoiler comments about what sucked about it:

1. Gunfire. After Inception and TDK and TDKR, I am 100% of the opinion that Nolan should never, ever, direct any movie that requires person A to shoot at persons B, C, and D. Every gunfire sequence he directs looks like some Universal Studios stunt show. Guy waves arm stupidly and squibs pop all over. Grumble.

2. Speeches. Characters walk in, gives a speech, then leave. Conversation be damned, no matter how long person A has been waiting in anticipation of having an audience with person B or C, they say their peace then storm off like it's American Idol and they've just finished singing "My Heart Will Go On." Dumb.

3. Voices. I haven't spent so much energy trying to understand character dialogue since "The Usual Suspects" and Brad Pitt in "Snatch". Batman - "Grumble grumble grumble." Bane - "Voicebox grumble Voicebox grumble." Chick - "French accent. French accent." Hey, Christopher Nolan, when everyone in the world tells you to make your characters speak clearly, they're not just ganging up on you. I felt like the movie was subtitled in Mandarin.

4. General story. Tough to say anything non-spoilery, but for a movie that preaches "there are no coincidences", there sure are a shipload of coincidences. Gotham City must have the stupidest population on the planet.

All that said, it was a good movie, if a little long. Not great, definitely not on the level of the last one (which had its own goofy problems as well, but was generally excellent), but I never felt badly about dropping the cash to see it in IMAX, and the last reel is very good. Save the best for last, I guess.

And for those waiting to flame me, I'm a huge Batman fan from forever ago, and I mean no disrespect... Nolan delivered a very good trilogy, just hard to live up to expectations.

#4358 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:27 PM

I'm always amazed that people managed to look past Christian Bale's COPD Batman voice to the point where they can champion this film as one of the greatest of all time. If you have a great film with maybe terrible lighting would people still recognize it's greatness? What if you have a fantastic story but terrible actors? It's almost enough to make me believe in individual aspects of film. Maybe there is a difference between direction, acting, and producing.

Not everyone needs to look like a 16 year old girl cosplaying a 16 year old boy, every-Japanese-artist-ever.

Currently Playing
Posted Image
Spoiler

#4359 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

I almost forgot about the terrible lighting... Man even in 1940s Noir movies I could see what the hell was happening, and movies these days, ugh. Batman bear voice was a major turnoff.

Batsugunner.png

#4360 Nifty_Shark

Nifty_Shark

Still not The Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:10 PM

Am I the only one who didn't like Amazing Spiderman? I thought it was dull.

If you could go into a little detail we could have a small discussion about it.
I'm somebody that only enjoyed the first Spider-Man from the original trilogy.Something to keep in mind I guess.

#4361 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:34 PM

How can people discredit Batman in quality of the film because of how Batman's voice sounds? That's ridiculous.

#4362 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:49 PM

Wanderlust - Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston were good. Alan Adha was good too. I was also happy to see some alums of "The State". Overall, this movie had me cracking up at several parts.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4363 Kerplunkuga

Kerplunkuga

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:06 PM

21 Jump Street - It was a fun movie. I loved the cameo, probably best one since Zombieland.

Heh, the cameo was awesome.

Posted Image

#4364 moon_knight

moon_knight

Gotta Have Blue Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:41 PM

If you could go into a little detail we could have a small discussion about it.
I'm somebody that only enjoyed the first Spider-Man from the original trilogy.Something to keep in mind I guess.

The movie didn't add anything new to the origin story, and even had similar scenes to the Raimi movies. The Lizard wasn't a good villain and I didn't like this interpretation of Peter Parker. Could have used some more action too.

#4365 bburpee

bburpee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:53 PM

How can people discredit Batman in quality of the film because of how Batman's voice sounds? That's ridiculous.

When you're in a state-of-the-art IMAX theater with ear-splitting sound, and you still can't figure out what the actors are grunting from time to time, that might be a problem.

I think it's incredibly arrogant that Nolan used the grumbly Batman and the wheezy Bane after folks complained mightily about grumbly Batman during Dark Knight and wheezy Bane following the teaser release for TDKR. At some point he should have accepted criticism.

Anything that takes you out of the experience and makes you focus on some nonsense is valid criticism. It doesn't make a movie bad, per se, but it might keep it from being master-class. I liked TDKR, but it's not exactly Goodfellas. And if Ray Liotta and Robert Deniro mumbled through Goodfellas the way these guys do in TDKR - it wouldn't be remembered so fondly.

But then again, there's a lot of nonsense happening in TDKR to keep it from being a great movie as opposed to just a very good superhero movie.

#4366 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:02 AM

^ that's all your opinion though. I thought it was a great movie, regardless of genre, and understood 95% of what was said. Batman I can hear totally clearly, Bane sometimes got muffled. If anything I thought the score sometimes drowned out vocals.

#4367 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:12 AM

Normally wouldn't even comment on this, but the "Yogi Bear" movie is on cable and it's an absolute disaster. Don't understand how movies this bad even get made.

#4368 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:18 AM

Normally wouldn't even comment on this, but the "Yogi Bear" movie is on cable and it's an absolute disaster. Don't understand how movies this bad even get made.

its a kidde cash grad imo. they know the film will suck but even when it does they will still sell games and toys and then do a deal with mcdonalds or burger king to advertise it with their shit kids meals.

even really shit movies can make decent money when you look at all the diff directions they take them. kids are pretty dumb these days and parents love to give them what they want.

#4369 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:41 PM

I haven't seen the new Batman, but the voice in the first two didn't bother me. I understood everything and it made sense to me - if he used his normal voice while in the suit wouldn't people who talked to Batman and Bruce Wayne figure out that Batman was Bruce Wayne pretty quickly?

Except that he should have just used his normal voice when speaking to people who already knew his secret identity, like Lucius Fox.

#4370 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

I haven't seen the new Batman, but the voice in the first two didn't bother me. I understood everything and it made sense to me - if he used his normal voice while in the suit wouldn't people who talked to Batman and Bruce Wayne figure out that Batman was Bruce Wayne pretty quickly?

You ever see Superman? Dude puts on glasses and he's instantly unrecognizable.

#4371 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

I'm always amazed that people managed to look past Christian Bale's COPD Batman voice to the point where they can champion this film as one of the greatest of all time. If you have a great film with maybe terrible lighting would people still recognize it's greatness? What if you have a fantastic story but terrible actors? It's almost enough to make me believe in individual aspects of film. Maybe there is a difference between direction, acting, and producing.

I still think they should have gotten Kevin Conroy to do a voice over for Batman, and have Bale do Bruce's voice. It still sounds silly IMO, like he's a kid trying to scare someone.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#4372 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:43 PM

When you're in a state-of-the-art IMAX theater with ear-splitting sound, and you still can't figure out what the actors are grunting from time to time, that might be a problem.

I think it's incredibly arrogant that Nolan used the grumbly Batman and the wheezy Bane after folks complained mightily about grumbly Batman during Dark Knight and wheezy Bane following the teaser release for TDKR. At some point he should have accepted criticism.

Anything that takes you out of the experience and makes you focus on some nonsense is valid criticism. It doesn't make a movie bad, per se, but it might keep it from being master-class. I liked TDKR, but it's not exactly Goodfellas. And if Ray Liotta and Robert Deniro mumbled through Goodfellas the way these guys do in TDKR - it wouldn't be remembered so fondly.

But then again, there's a lot of nonsense happening in TDKR to keep it from being a great movie as opposed to just a very good superhero movie.

I could understand Batman just fine. Bane there were a couple lines I couldn't understand, but 99% of it was fine.

It would be weird if he suddenly didn't use the Batman voice in this movie after using it in the first two.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#4373 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

Except that he should have just used his normal voice when speaking to people who already knew his secret identity, like Lucius Fox.

If you'd seen TDKR you'd know that even his big boy voice isn't enough to throw everyone off the trail.

Seriously, the people of Gotham must be completely stupid. To not even speculate that it could be Bruce is ridiculous. How many people in Gotham have the resources to even be Batman? Sheesh.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#4374 4thHorseman

4thHorseman

The New God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

I haven't seen the new Batman, but the voice in the first two didn't bother me. I understood everything and it made sense to me - if he used his normal voice while in the suit wouldn't people who talked to Batman and Bruce Wayne figure out that Batman was Bruce Wayne pretty quicky?

That was one of the things that bugged me in the 89-97 films. Bruce Wayne and Batman sound exactly the same, so despite what he sounded like, I appreciate Bale putting in the effort to distinguish the two.

#4375 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

You ever see Superman? Dude puts on glasses and he's instantly unrecognizable.

Yeah and it's stupid as hell. My favorite part of Superman II, and I think it's not in the Donner cut, is when he's in front of Lois, and to reveal himself to her, he simply takes his glasses off and she faints. lol. Ridiculous.

#4376 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:19 PM

Yeah and it's stupid as hell. My favorite part of Superman II, and I think it's not in the Donner cut, is when he's in front of Lois, and to reveal himself to her, he simply takes his glasses off and she faints. lol. Ridiculous.

HA! I don't remember the Superman movies much, but that's gold.

#4377 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:00 AM

if thats the one with zod hell fucking yeah that is the best superman movie to date. crazy to think he played a tranny with mr smith but yeah zod was awesome. it always annoyed me they never did that whole bit properly in smallville. that line "Kneel before zod" is fucking epic imo i could see tell him that while pushing into his head and shoving him to his knees.

#4378 Nifty_Shark

Nifty_Shark

Still not The Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:17 AM

The movie didn't add anything new to the origin story, and even had similar scenes to the Raimi movies. The Lizard wasn't a good villain and I didn't like this interpretation of Peter Parker. Could have used some more action too.

Uhu. I'll agree with you that the reboot is pointless. However, I do like this Peter Parker (as well as the old one) as I can't really quite figure him out. The main enemy didn't bother me. None of the enemies in the previous movies did it for me though so that's nothing new (Old man Osborne was great when he wasn't in his suit). Without spoiling anything it looks like this series could have much more to say about Peter's origin with the after credits scene. There was some goofy Hollywood moments that could have been removed though it seems all superhero movies are reluctant to do that. I'm talking about the buildup to Peter getting to the Oscorp tower.
Last thing I want to say is that I like the tone of this movie more than the other Marvel movies building up to The Avengers. The Amazing Spiderman is more Dark Knight than Avengers and for me personally that is a very good move.

#4379 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

Amazing Spider Man. Holy shit this movie was boring. Maybe 20 minutes of stuff that I haven't already seen in the previous movies. I did like the new wise cracking Spider Man for future installments, but to see the origin again just felt like a waste.

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#4380 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:20 PM

I disagree. I think a single glaring problem CAN reduce how people view the film. If you want to say it's not a problem then fine we have differing opinions. But a horrible voice could totally ruin the film. For the record while I definitely don't like it and agree he sounds like a 10 year old trying to scare someone. I don't think the voice is ruining the films. just taking them out of the Top Ten GOAT category.

This is the point I've been trying to argue with my sister for about 4 years now about the film industry. Who says it's Nolan's fault? Maybe it's Bale being arrogant.

if he used his normal voice while in the suit wouldn't people who talked to Batman and Bruce Wayne figure out that Batman was Bruce Wayne pretty quickly?

To the Lucius Fox point. Part of the deal with Batman is that he himself is a bit crazy. As in psychotic. So I don't have to listen to the director's commentary or watch the DVD extra to figure that at somepoint someone decided that Bruce in the suit literally can't help but us the Batman voice. It's like he has a dissociative identity.

To the recognition part. If we can be realistic here for a moment. I don't think they would. His voice isn't particularly distinctive and part of the mythos is that Batman is neigh on mythical at certain points in the story. I argue that Bruce Wayne's voice isn't like Bobcat Goldthwait or Gilbert Gottfried. I think it's perfectly reasonable that given the fact that a) most people would NEVER suspect Wayne b) most people aren't chummy with the city's rich billionaire playboy and c) when Batman's around it's generally the surprise of your lackadaisical life, for most people to never make that connection. Also as a point of order. I don't think anyone is against a "Batman voice" we just think it's stupid for him to sound so scratchy. Like he's TRYING to disguise his voice. He should just be a different voice.

I still think they should have gotten Kevin Conroy to do a voice over for Batman, and have Bale do Bruce's voice. It still sounds silly IMO, like he's a kid trying to scare someone.

a dream that would never have come true. Plus I'm sure that would have ballooned the budget even more with Conroy's cost and the cost to ADR an entire character. Plus we need to start getting used to other voices for Batman. Conroy is a G no doubt, but with Hamill out as Joker maybe it's time for a new talented voice to emerge?

Currently Playing
Posted Image
Spoiler