Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

• Please log in to reply
7876 replies to this topic

#4531 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:17 PM

Didn't mean music only, much of it is cheesey. Pointing out the movies you named are the exceptions obviously.

Musicals are cheesy, however modern movies are way more cheesy then the classics.

Examples of modern movies include our universe as a virtual reality where you can learn kungfu in 3 seconds flat. Talking alien robots from outerspace who can transform into cars. A Viking god, a green monster, and a guy in a robot suit fighting invading aliens. Plus a heaping helping of vampires, zombies and ghosts.

I dare you to find any classic movies that are even half as cheesy as the typical Michael Bay movie.

#4532 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:29 PM

Yes but there's a difference between classic and old.

#4533 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:00 PM

I don't really know what to say.

With rare exception, modern movies are way more cheesy and commercial then old movies.

Old movies had real heart. Even a silent Charlie Chaplain flick would have moments of true sentimentality or clever satire in between the hijinks.

Most modern movies are so silly and childlike that cheeseball is a vast understatement. And when they are trying hard play it serious (like Titanic or Inception) they can't help coming off as somewhat cheesy or gimmicky.

I wish there were move movies like "The King's Speech" or "The Hurt Locker" - those movies are reminiscent of a time when you couldn't just gloss over character development and plot with a bunch of special effects and hope to be taken seriously.

If you don't like old movies that's fine, but don't say that most of them were cheesy. That's just wrong.

#4534 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:09 PM

There are good old movies. There are bad old movies.

There are good current movies. There are bad current movies.

Classics are the good movies of the past and the current good movies are the classics of the future generations.

It's that simple. If you're a big movie fan, it's silly to ignore the good movies of any era. Every era has it's great movies and it's awful movies and everything in between.

#4535 HeroToTheMasses

HeroToTheMasses

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:03 PM

No need to get defense about it. The older films take a little settling into but once you get used to their style, there's a lot of really great stuff to look into.

Check out:

His Girl Friday -

http://www.hulu.com/watch/63243

It's got some of the best dialogue you'll ever hear. If you can keep up. Just sharp, funny, and entertaining as heck.

#4536 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:50 PM

It's just my opinion. I don't get into most older films unless they are groundbreaking.

#4537 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:15 PM

watched snow white and the huntsman, really enjoyed it.

There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Madden 13 SB Champ in the CAG gentleman's league.

#4538 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

The Eternal Second Banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:15 AM

alright speaking of which I've seen 2 of the three Snow White films. Huntsman was ok. Mirror Mirror was better than my sister warned me and the third "Grimms' Snow White" is an Asylum film. 40 seconds in and it stopped making sense. I was so confused then 'Asylum Films' popped up and my expectations lowered appropriately.

Resident Evil as I said in my blog was ok.

Battleship was bad to ok

The Dictator was tolerable/ok. Nothing special. A few good jokes. A gross out scene. Nothing you don't expect from SBC but glory be it wasn't reality based. It's SO much more comfortable watching him with a script and other actors.

To Watch:
Invasion of the Alien Bikini
The Cabin in the Woods (I hate horror films but far too many people have told me to watch this and noone will tell me anything so I've given up and acquired it)

Not everyone needs to look like a 16 year old girl cosplaying a 16 year old boy, every-Japanese-artist-ever.

Currently Playing
:wii: Bully - :ps3: Outland
Posted Image
Spoiler

#4539 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:26 AM

I don't really know what to say.

With rare exception, modern movies are way more cheesy and commercial then old movies.

Old movies had real heart. Even a silent Charlie Chaplain flick would have moments of true sentimentality or clever satire in between the hijinks.

Most modern movies are so silly and childlike that cheeseball is a vast understatement. And when they are trying hard play it serious (like Titanic or Inception) they can't help coming off as somewhat cheesy or gimmicky.

I wish there were move movies like "The King's Speech" or "The Hurt Locker" - those movies are reminiscent of a time when you couldn't just gloss over character development and plot with a bunch of special effects and hope to be taken seriously.

If you don't like old movies that's fine, but don't say that most of them were cheesy. That's just wrong.

I now imagine you as an old man who yells at kids to get off his lawn.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#4540 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:19 PM

Posted Image
Cabin in the Woods - as I've said repeatedly I'm not into horror films but this was very good. I suspect that's pretty much what noone will tell you. Everyone pushes you to just see it sight unseen. Honestly considering the presentation I'm not sure that's really necessary. It's like when people complained about the Assassin's Creed spoiler that you aren't IN the past you're in the future reliving the past. When it occurs that early in the product it's not a spoiler it's part of the premise. To get back on topic it's a good movie and I really really think it could be a fantastically dark comic book.
Spoiler

Posted Image
Grimm's Snow White - the third and last of the Snow White movies was the Asylum knock off. It's not terrible like other Asylum films I've seen but it's bad.. its' really bad. Cringeworthy oddly enough not because of the bad acting but because of the bad plot. At one point for instance Snow White is knocked out. The huntsman struggles and takes off her ring. They then cut to Snow lying down WEARING THE RING. It's so jarringly bad editing I thought maybe there were two rings and I was missing the point. This ring has no power, doesn't particularly stand out, and isn't well known as Snow White's ring. Yet still when the Huntsman is about to be tortured b/c the Queen suspects Snow isn't dead he makes sure his son gets the ring. "Here take this and run, don't let the Queen catch you. Also I never killed anyone" (just like in The Dictator) This ring does come into play again as you might suspect because you've been seeing it over and over and over since the film started. What is it's ultimate purpose? The prince sees the kid wearing this ring like he's a wanna-be pimp. The prince then thinks.. if this boy got the ring from his non-murdering father then Snow White must be alive. That's it. The ring is never mentioned again. Just one of many many seemingly random plot devices that sprung up out of nowhere. As I write this thinking about other bad plot points it occurs to me that perhaps the whole reason there are no dwarves and instead there are elves (one of which is "Runt" the half-human) might be because they couldn't afford to pay that many small people. Or and I'm pulling for this one. No small person would take a role in that film.

tl;dr -> it's JUST bad enough to laugh at like The Darkest Hours. Barely. A shade more and it'd just be so bad it's sad.

Posted Image
Stagecoach - for class; decent movie B&W western that was rather compelling. Fun times.

Posted Image
The Five Year Engagement - not at all what I expected from the trailers.. well that's not fair. It was half what I expected. I thought it would be halftime: She's living the life. Followed by halftime: He's living the life. Since it wasn't. That actually made the movie slightly better. As a fan of romantic comedies it was fun but nothing spectacular

Not everyone needs to look like a 16 year old girl cosplaying a 16 year old boy, every-Japanese-artist-ever.

Currently Playing
Posted Image
Spoiler

#4541 Nifty_Shark

Nifty_Shark

Still not The Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:46 PM

Hit & Run- Kind of odd. I liked the main couple. I enjoyed seeing Kristen Bell. Some of the humour was good, some bad. It's not a movie you need to see but I didn't regret watching it either. Maybe too vulgar for it's own good? Definitely some lack of character development for half of the cast.

#4542 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:43 PM

Total Recall, this is the third Arnold movie I paid attention to where the love interest is an ethnic brunette. This is really a common trope innit?

Batsugunner.png

#4543 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:06 PM

Speaking of Total Recall I saw the new one very recently.

I enjoyed it and I liked the look of the world a lot. Lot's of action and cool futuristic gadget things.

People are going to whine and automatically say it's bad because it's a "remake", but A.) It's not trying to be the Arnold movie and B.) The Arnold movie is far from a masterpiece.

#4544 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

Total Recall, this is the third Arnold movie I paid attention to where the love interest is an ethnic brunette. This is really a common trope innit?

there are worse tropes to have i suppose

Currently Playing
Posted Image
Spoiler

#4545 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

Yeah, Total Recall was a total cheesefest, as with most of his films. I guess people were too busy remembering the three-boobed whore to give a damn about the flaws.

Batsugunner.png

#4546 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:57 PM

Saw both Dredd and Looper over the weekend.

Dredd very well redeemed itself over the 1996 Stallone mess. Great action, nice self-contained plot, stuck close to the original source material, left their way open for a sequel. If you think Lena Headey is evil in Game of Thrones, her role as Ma Ma goes so over the top it's great.

Looper was a complete mindfuck from beginning to end. One of the best scifi movies I've seen since Moon. Certainly would recommend a second viewing to see items you might have missed the first time. Joseph Gordon-Levitt almost does a better Bruce Willis than Bruce Willis does.

#4547 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

^ really want to see both of these movies.

#4548 Action!

Action!

THIS WEIGHS MORE THAN ME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:07 PM

Looper was a complete mindfuck from beginning to end. One of the best scifi movies I've seen since Moon. Certainly would recommend a second viewing to see items you might have missed the first time. Joseph Gordon-Levitt almost does a better Bruce Willis than Bruce Willis does.

So glad to hear this. I've been following this movie for years and can't wait to see it tonight.

I draw sometimes.  UPDATED: 8/15/14   Shovel Knight      |      Trade List

Hey, I'm selling prints now. http://society6.com/...nKazimer/prints

The game that I animate for is now in beta! Try out Lichdom: Battlemage!

#4549 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:23 PM

Speaking of Total Recall I saw the new one very recently.

I enjoyed it and I liked the look of the world a lot. Lot's of action and cool futuristic gadget things.

People are going to whine and automatically say it's bad because it's a "remake", but A.) It's not trying to be the Arnold movie and B.) The Arnold movie is far from a masterpiece.

The original Total Recall really is an excellent movie. Even for this day the story is strange (story elements like radiation mutants, alien artifacts, and interplanetary espionage had rarely been seen in blockbusters up to that point)

For an Arnold movie there is a surprising amount of subtlety hidden behind the outrageous action scenes and over-the-top acting.

There was absolutely no reason to remake it. If they wanted to remake it with a twist, or make a prequel/sequel, then maybe but I see nothing to convince me that the new movie is original in any way.

#4550 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

The original Total Recall really is an excellent movie. Even for this day the story is strange (story elements like radiation mutants, alien artifacts, and interplanetary espionage had rarely been seen in blockbusters up to that point)

For an Arnold movie there is a surprising amount of subtlety hidden behind the outrageous action scenes and over-the-top acting.

There was absolutely no reason to remake it. If they wanted to remake it with a twist, or make a prequel/sequel, then maybe but I see nothing to convince me that the new movie is original in any way.

Agree with all this. It's not even an Arnold movie, it's a Verhoven movie.

#4551 j-cart

j-cart

PAPER TRAILS on a mountain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:36 PM

Dredd with Karl Urban was legit. Certainly not an amazing movie, but a lot better than Judge Dredd. Popcorn action fest.

Looper on the other hand was great. Had a few moments of slow, but it cleaned up really well at the end. A second watch is a must.

#4552 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:12 PM

So glad to hear this. I've been following this movie for years and can't wait to see it tonight.

There's enough humor in there to make it not all dry, as well as the action not being the complete focus of the movie. Well-balanced, I thought, and well-timed, as longer would have been dragged out and shorter would have missed some items.

Dredd with Karl Urban was legit. Certainly not an amazing movie, but a lot better than Judge Dredd. Popcorn action fest.

Looper on the other hand was great. Had a few moments of slow, but it cleaned up really well at the end. A second watch is a must.

Dredd was much better than the 1996 mess and I thought it stuck well to the source material. It didn't go so overboard with the background that you needed it to enjoy the movie. Great popcorn action fest without question. The fact that the helmet never came off was perfect. Karl Urban got it right for Dredd and I was not able to think of anyone else that could have done it as well. Uniform also was much more believable than the Armani-themed ones for the 1996 movie.

I think I'll save my second watching of Looper for it on disc, as I did for Moon.

#4553 moon_knight

moon_knight

Gotta Have Blue Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:58 PM

Saw Dredd, End of Watch and Looper. End of Watch was a lot better than I thought it would be. It was pretty funny at times and did a good job with tension in some scenes, especially the climax.

#4554 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:16 AM

Urban said he wouldn't do Dredd if the helmet came off.

#4555 Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Keep Calm Chive On

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:21 AM

Poseidon with Josh Lucas and Kurt Russell...

...if I remember back in 2006 this was panned as a failure but I randomly like it

Check my YouTube channel for exotic cars: https://www.youtube.com/user/DKGarage

#4556 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:24 AM

I really don't count it as a remake, because again, it's not trying to be the Arnold movie. It's source is the original story, not the movie. It did it differently which is why I went and saw it. There's no point in remaking a movie if it's going to be the exact same thing, and Total Recall isn't that by a long shot.

The Arnold movie will always be a cheesefest to me. For better or worse, the new Total Recall took the source material more seriously.

#4557 J7.

J7.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:03 AM

Flash of Genius 4/5
- Great movie because it's a true story. If I say anything about it it would probably ruin it, but I will say that the acting was great. Kind of a lighthearted movie about some serious stuff.

Total Recall 4/5
- Just watched it for the 2nd time. Never had seen it until this year. It certainly has it's moments and I agree with what everyone else said here, it can be both cheesy but have some good underlying depth. Looking forward to seeing the new one.

The Breakfast Club 4.5/5
- Saw some of this again, still like it a lot, remember loving it a while back. Thought about how awesome this movie must have been for it's time, if you had seen it when it first came out and especially how good it would be if you were also the age of characters at that time.

Wish Emilio Estevez had been in more recent films. Judd Nelson is ace in this movie, seems very underutilized as an actor. I need to go watch more John Hughes movies again. What happened with him anyways, did he kind of just lose his touch over time?

La Bamba 4/5
- Another film based on a true story. So sad, but great story. Is good for it's budget and what it's trying to be. Best part is the relationships between characters.

#4558 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:12 AM

Saw Looper based largely on the positive buzz of this thread. I liked it but didn't love it.
Spoiler

#4559 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:21 AM

A Separation.

Very good. Solid performances all around.

#4560 jngx80

jngx80

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:23 AM

Fast Five - was really long and I was disappointed that there weren't many car scenes. The ending car chase was ridiculous. A really poor heist film, the cops/fbi were just plain stupid.