Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

• Please log in to reply
7954 replies to this topic

#5011 moon_knight

moon_knight

Gotta Have Blue Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

I liked Dredd a lot, but it seems like people who praise the hell out of it haven't seen The Raid.

#5012 merchie89

merchie89

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:27 AM

Just saw Zero Dark Thirty screening. Like all the noms this year, was good but not overwhelmingly great.

Lincoln is probably gonna win everything...
(Actual register date 3/3/2009, not sure why I switched accounts)

#5013 J7.

J7.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:04 AM

Rocky. Somehow I'd never seen the first one. Great movie.

Will probably watch the rest of the series over the next couple of weeks (have the Bluray set) since there all 1:85:1 and I want to avoid black bars for a bit while breaking in my new plasma.

Wow, I thought everyone has seen Rocky. Did you see the sequels already? Rocky 2 and 3 kind of blend together in my mind as one for some reason. 4 is great, I believe Stallone said that's when his creative juices peaked. 5 gets better each time I watch it. RB great too.

#5014 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:00 AM

Yeah I watched 2, 3 and 4 a bunch as a kid. Think I only saw 5 and the last one once a piece.

#5015 Nifty_Shark

Nifty_Shark

Still not The Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

The Master

Great job by Joaquin and Philip Seymour Hoffman. I don't think I fully got it. Something about the end tells me I must have not picked up on something... time to go look at some plot line discussions.

Edit: Ah OK. I slightly misinterpreted something. Nevermind. Though another thing I was not sure about is a little bit more open. People who saw the movie would probably know what I'm referring to.

Edited by Nifty_Shark, 11 January 2013 - 10:34 PM.

#5016 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

Just saw Django. Someone here mentioned it was like Basterds and it's not at all.

Tarantino still hasn't made a bad movie, I don't know where I would rank this one but it wouldn't crack the top three for me. Great nonetheless.

#5017 VipFREAK

VipFREAK

Fun Knee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:54 AM

I liked Dredd a lot, but it seems like people who praise the hell out of it haven't seen The Raid.

I guess I'll have to check it out.

I thought Dredd was great. A throwback to 80s R-rated movies. I'd put it up there with Robocop.

I've seen it twice now and I still don't know what to think of it. One thing is for sure though... Wat.. Duh... Fuck... were they thinking with those motorcycles... ?

I like Olivia Therby.

I don't doubt it. It wasn't to lose weight, though - it was half coincidental. I thought I had a stomach ulcer and heard cabbage juice was a natural cure.

Stomach ulcer > cabbage juice.

I want it more for being heathier than needing to lose weight. I saw it more about motivation and determination than not factual or whatever...

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"

Trade List

#5018 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:13 AM

Saw both Dredd and Silver Linings Playbook yesterday. Both were fantastic and much better than I was expecting. Some very surprisingly strong performances in Silver Linings Playbook all around.

#5019 thefallingscream

thefallingscream

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:34 AM

A Hunted House. If you liked scary movie then you're going to like this.

#5020 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:45 AM

Cut the first hour and Zero Dark Thirty was pretty good. The torture scenes were just incredibly boring and really added nothing. I liked Hurt Locker way more for telling a story, instead of trying to tell a story.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#5021 bburpee

bburpee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

Saw both Dredd and Silver Linings Playbook yesterday. Both were fantastic and much better than I was expecting. Some very surprisingly strong performances in Silver Linings Playbook all around.

Why surprising? The cast looked like the strength of the movie. The dancing looked lame.

#5022 Nifty_Shark

Nifty_Shark

Still not The Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

Good to hear the positive reaction for SLP. I'm hoping to catch it here in about a month or so.

#5023 Jruth

Jruth

No trite shit crew gamer bro

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

I watched Django, great movie. The great plot twist was when the white people turned out to be evil.

Haven't you figured it out yet fanboys? Your mommy can't afford both consoles! Be grateful with what you got and shut the Fuck up.

- starving African bro

#5024 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

Why surprising? The cast looked like the strength of the movie. The dancing looked lame.

It was surprising because Jennifer Lawrence is still a relative up and comer, Bradley Cooper doesn't have much in the way of serious acting experience, and Robert DeNiro is coming off of a long string of laughably bad roles (remember that terrible cop movie he was in with Al Pacino, Righteous Kill, I think it was?). Hell, even Chris Tucker did great in a role as a character whose premise borders on slapstick.

Also, the dancing stuff was really, really low key. They aren't heavy handed with it at all. You could almost argue there's more relation to jogging in the movie than dancing.

#5025 thenexus6

thenexus6

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

I wish I caught SLP in the cinemas..

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee.
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie

#5026 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:19 AM

Silver Linings Playbook - I'm in the minority here but I didn't like it. I thought it was weird and was honestly pretty bored throughout.

Zero Dark Thirty - Really enjoyed this one. I hated Hurt Locker so I was very happy that ZDT was a ton better. The end was a lot more exciting and tense than Hurt Locker to me.

#5027 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:57 AM

Fright Night (modern) was pretty decent. Just a fun movie but probably not one I'd watch again, similar to the original.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#5028 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Silver Linings Playbook - I'm in the minority here but I didn't like it. I thought it was weird and was honestly pretty bored throughout.

Zero Dark Thirty - Really enjoyed this one. I hated Hurt Locker so I was very happy that ZDT was a ton better. The end was a lot more exciting and tense than Hurt Locker to me.

Good to hear about ZDT. I didn't like Hurt Locker either so I'm hesitant on this one.

I saw Expendables 2 last night. It was better than the first. I couldn't tell if everyone was in on the joke or not, some of the one liners were horrible. I take that back, all of the one liners were horrible.

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#5029 commandercody83

commandercody83

SAMURAI!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

Watched Django Unchained last night. Good film.

After seeing a trailer for Zero Dark Thirty, I want to see it more. Same with The Great Gatsby surprisingly.

#5030 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

Good to hear about ZDT. I didn't like Hurt Locker either so I'm hesitant on this one.

I saw Expendables 2 last night. It was better than the first. I couldn't tell if everyone was in on the joke or not, some of the one liners were horrible. I take that back, all of the one liners were horrible.

That's why the one liners were so great. I can't remember the last time I saw a movie where someone would say "rest in pieces."

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#5031 Yagami

Yagami

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

A Haunted House was great if you're into the spoof movies. Pretty much the spiritual successor to the original Scary Movie (the new one looks like crap, not involving the Wayans.) As usual if you're not into the crude humour don't bother.

#5032 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:40 AM

I liked ZDT, but not as much as The Hurt Locker. There weren't any scenes that resonated with me the way that certain scenes in Hurt Locker did.

Posted Image

#5033 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:43 AM

Mini-series rather than movie, The Hatfields and McCoys.

Pretty solid, very good performances from Kevin Costner and Bill Paxton. Looked amazing on Blu, super sharp, lots of detail.

#5034 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

Silver Linings Playbook was awesome. One of my favorite movies of the year. Going into it I thought it was more of a comedy than a drama but it's probably more drama than comedy. Great movie either way. Also, I may be in love with Jennifer Lawrence.

Django Unchained was pretty awesome as well. I really liked Christoph Waltz in it. I had never heard of him going into it. I'm pretty sure he won a Golden Globe for his role and he definitely deserved it.

Argo was pretty good and worth a watch but I'll probably never watch it again. I'm glad others seem to like it more though because I like Ben Affleck.

Edit: Apparently Looper wasn't up for any awards? That was 2012 right? That was probably my single favorite movie of the year. Much better than Argo or Lincoln imo.

Edited by ShockandAww, 14 January 2013 - 08:59 AM.

#5035 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

Sci Fi movies rarely get into the critics circle.

Batsugunner.png

#5036 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Silver Linings Playbook was awesome. One of my favorite movies of the year. Going into it I thought it was more of a comedy than a drama but it's probably more drama than comedy. Great movie either way. Also, I may be in love with Jennifer Lawrence.

Django Unchained was pretty awesome as well. I really liked Christoph Waltz in it. I had never heard of him going into it. I'm pretty sure he won a Golden Globe for his role and he definitely deserved it.

Argo was pretty good and worth a watch but I'll probably never watch it again. I'm glad others seem to like it more though because I like Ben Affleck.

Edit: Apparently Looper wasn't up for any awards? That was 2012 right? That was probably my single favorite movie of the year. Much better than Argo or Lincoln imo.

Watch Inglorious Basterds, Waltz is incredible in that movie and won an Oscar for it.

And yeah, sci fi rarely gets nominated for anything outside the technical categories. It should be nominated for screenplay at the very least.

#5037 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

I'm 1:50 into the 2:40 Hunger Games and I don't know how I feel about it yet. It's OK but I'm not blown away or anything. Maybe when I watch the last 1/2 hour I'll feel differently...

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#5038 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

I'm 1:50 into the 2:40 Hunger Games and I don't know how I feel about it yet. It's OK but I'm not blown away or anything. Maybe when I watch the last 1/2 hour I'll feel differently...

You wont, the movie blows.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#5039 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

Saw Wreck It Ralph with my 5-year-old finally. Surprisingly few video-game in-jokes and nods, but good movie overall. Wish they had left out the stupid Konami code joke. Made me cry twice; apparently I'm as big a pussy as Cheapy is.

#5040 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

I liked The Hunger Games. I read, and enjoyed, the books first though.