Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

• Please log in to reply
7307 replies to this topic

#5281 AshesofWake

AshesofWake

chum is fum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:16 AM

I found it the complete opposite. Very emotional. What other holocausts movies have you watched?

My problem wasn't with the subject matter. It was with the cliché directing. It was just peotrayed in a silly pretentious way and had no emotional impact. The Ralph Fiennes character was way too cartoonish for example. I'm aware that the Nazi regime was brutal and unrelenting to a whole race of innocent individuals but the way these characters were portrayed were comical. I have never found Spielberg to be a really deep director in the first place. I'm aware that's my opinion and people that consider this film a masterpiece have their own onions of course. I have to be honest and say I did go into this with an open mind and willing to take things for face value but it just got more unrealistic as far as directing went for me.

All that aside. I did find the hilarity in the whole movie done in a German accent with flawless English. But that's just neither here or there

#5282 J7.

J7.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:22 AM

Hmm. Never saw the film like that whatsoever. Can't remember anything cartoonish. I will have to watch it again.

#5283 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

Fantastic. Best flick I've seen in a while and I've seen several good ones lately.

#5284 AshesofWake

AshesofWake

chum is fum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

Hmm. Never saw the film like that whatsoever. Can't remember anything cartoonish. I will have to watch it again.

I mean don't get me wrong. It's a good movie. Just i didn't think it was that great as far as something that I'd walk away from taking anything. It just felt generic to me. And that's probably my own fault because I expect more as a personal watcher of movies in general.

#5285 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

Total Recall remake. Started out really strong but the climax was about 45 minutes and when you're continually getting bored during action sequences, something is wrong.

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#5286 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

Total Recall remake. Started out really strong but the climax was about 45 minutes and when you're continually getting bored during action sequences, something is wrong.

Yeah, that was a weird one. I liked the look of the movie a lot, but I remembered losing interest at some points.

I haven't seen it since it was in theaters so I'll probably watch it again at some point.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#5287 crunchewy

crunchewy

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

Compliance. Totally crazy that this could happen, but apparently it has happened, including the worst parts dramatized in this movie. It's a tough watch, but definitely worth seeing. You'll laugh at times, too, but a kind of awkward laugh, wondering if you should be laughing.... You should read this article, but only after you've seen the movie: http://t.co/rIuLbKck2v
Posted Image

#5288 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Worst of the first three by far. Will have to watch the fourth again soon to decide which of the black sheep of the series I like best.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. My favorite of the series

#5289 Vulcan2422

Vulcan2422

Sandwich Artist with the Mouth

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

You'll find the fourth the worst.

Watched Identity Thief with the wife and it was pretty funny. Liked it a lot. 4/5

Vulcan7905.png
Real Life Ice Hockey Stats: Goals - 20 Assists - 22 Penalty Minutes - 8

Granted I only played the demo of Chime, but how the heck do you get shit on by Chime?

#5290 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Worst of the first three by far. Will have to watch the fourth again soon to decide which of the black sheep of the series I like best.

Totally agree, I hated Temple of Doom. Crystal Skull is better imo.

#5291 200STM

200STM

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

I saw Mama it was ok.

#5292 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

watched Safety Not Guaranteed, thought it was a pretty good movie.
There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Gentleman's League Record:
Season 1: 7-9 Missed Playoffs
Season 2: 18-1 Superbowl Champs

#5293 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

Watched Identity Thief with the wife and it was pretty funny. Liked it a lot. 4/5

Are you sure that you and your wife are people that exist?

Posted Image

#5294 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

Rise of the Guardians. Holy shit that movie was way better than it had any right to be.

#5295 bobo2k4

bobo2k4

OooSplendiforous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

Snitch
Lots better than I expected it to be. Looked like a generic action film but its actually a well acted film about the war on drugs.
Posted Image
Props to Ozzkev for the sig.

#5296 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

You'll find the fourth the worst.

I saw it in the theater and liked it ok. This is the first time I've re-watched the whole series sense seeing it though, and haven't seen the 4th one since the theater.

I'm guessing I'll still like it better than Temple of Doom as I have a lot less issues with Aliens in the series than a cult leader who can remove a still beating heart (and someone who can life through it until sacrifice) etc. Plus no Willie screaming every 5 seconds or Short Round being annoying.

#5297 foreverjoe20

foreverjoe20

DarkMagician

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

Taken 2

Not sure why people hated this one that much. I thought it was a pretty good movie. Maybe not as "good" as the first one but I didn't think it as bad as people were making it out to be.

The wife/daughter aspect of it did sort of hold back the movie though.

#5298 J7.

J7.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

I saw it in the theater and liked it ok. This is the first time I've re-watched the whole series sense seeing it though, and haven't seen the 4th one since the theater.

I'm guessing I'll still like it better than Temple of Doom as I have a lot less issues with Aliens in the series than a cult leader who can remove a still beating heart (and someone who can life through it until sacrifice) etc. Plus no Willie screaming every 5 seconds or Short Round being annoying.

He doesn't actually remove the heart. It's a fake display to get the people to worship him. Having seen Temple of the Doom as a youth, before any other Indy, it's always been my favorite.

#5299 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

I think Temple of Doom is very easily the worst out of all 4.

I'm not going to waste time defending 4, but Temple of Doom was pretty awful. Way worse than 4.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#5300 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

He doesn't actually remove the heart. It's a fake display to get the people to worship him. Having seen Temple of the Doom as a youth, before any other Indy, it's always been my favorite.

Wait...what? I'm going to have to watch this flick again for the first time in maybe 20 years just because you mentioned that. Don't spoil anything for me though...haha.
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#5301 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

Yeah, there's nothing to indicate its fake. Spoilered for dohdough...
Spoiler

Now I suppose one could interpret it as being an elaborate display, but there's nothing in the film to point you toward that interpretation IMO. In any case, that's a minor nitpick compared to the whole plot being kind of lame and Willie and Short Round being annoying as shit.

Just one of the movies I loved as a kid that hasn't aged well for me. At least the 1st and 3rd hold up extremely well.

#5302 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:42 PM

Now I suppose one could interpret it as being an elaborate display, but there's nothing in the film to point you toward that interpretation IMO. In any case, that's a minor nitpick compared to the whole plot being kind of lame and Willie and Short Round being annoying as shit.

That was pretty much my interpretation too. I don't remember a scene where the guy was outed as a fake. I thought Short Round was awesome as a kid that kicked ass, but Willie was annoying as hell from all the constant screeching.

I might try to watch it tonight thanks to you guys.:lol:

Last Crusade is my personal fave, btw. Thanks for the spoiler tag, bro!
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#5303 Vap

Vap

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:02 AM

Compliance. Totally crazy that this could happen, but apparently it has happened, including the worst parts dramatized in this movie. It's a tough watch, but definitely worth seeing. You'll laugh at times, too, but a kind of awkward laugh, wondering if you should be laughing.... You should read this article, but only after you've seen the movie: http://t.co/rIuLbKck2v

I've never heard of this until your post. I looked it up on imdb and holy shit does it sound interesting. I think I'll have to check it out.

#5304 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:07 AM

The Master

A movie with superb acting by Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix as well as fantastic cinematography and visuals. The problem I found with the movie was that the screenplay/story was terribly boring. I ended up caring very little for the characters or the story by the end.

#5305 j-cart

j-cart

BOOM BOOM SHAKE SHAKE, NOW DROP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:15 AM

Step Up Revolution.

BEST
Spoiler
MOVIE
Spoiler
EVER!

You know the plot, you know the twist, but what you don't know is the music. Huge fan of The Glitch Mob and it's awesome that they were the featured artist for the movie. Acting was terrible, but not the worse. The main chick is a hottie, so there is that too. Went for the dance scenes and I was not disappointed.

I have a guilty pleasure for dance movies, that's why The FP is my number one dance movie!

#5306 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:07 AM

Just watched it, that's some seriously fucked up shit right there. I can't believe this is a somewhat common occurrence, are people really that stupid?

#5307 J7.

J7.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:24 AM

Yeah, there's nothing to indicate its fake. Spoilered for dohdough...

Spoiler

Just one of the movies I loved as a kid that hasn't aged well for me. At least the 1st and 3rd hold up extremely well.

Maybe I got it confused with Man On The Moon scene where Andy Kaufman gets the fake surgery. I need to go back and watch ToD again. Still, there's got to be some explanation for the whole heart ripped out still alive thing.

Rank ToD>LC>RotLA>KotCS. The tv series is probably the 3rd or 4th best, forget, it's too bad the DVD release completely messed it up.

#5308 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

Maybe I got it confused with Man On The Moon scene where Andy Kaufman gets the fake surgery. I need to go back and watch ToD again. Still, there's got to be some explanation for the whole heart ripped out still alive thing.

Rank ToD>LC>RotLA>KotCS. The tv series is probably the 3rd or 4th best, forget, it's too bad the DVD release completely messed it up.

Why does there need to be an explanation? There are all sorts of religious and supernatural things in the Indy franchise. Not that I think Crystal Skull is amazing myself, but I'll always think it's funny when people take offence to the refrigerator or the aliens, but have no problem with flying mine carts, ghosts killing nazis and becoming immortal by drinking from the cup of Jesus.

#5309 J7.

J7.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:32 AM

Why does there need to be an explanation? There are all sorts of religious and supernatural things in the Indy franchise. Not that I think Crystal Skull is amazing myself, but I'll always think it's funny when people take offence to the refrigerator or the aliens, but have no problem with flying mine carts, ghosts killing nazis and becoming immortal by drinking from the cup of Jesus.

That's what I'm saying, that there's gotta be some explanation such as some spiritual force or something responsible for them staying alive when they lose their heart. There's some explanation for it that allows the movie to make some sort of sense.

#5310 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

There's no explanation other than just the implied spiritual power of the stones. Just like there's no real explanation other than the spirtual power of the Ark of the Covenant or the Holy Grail.