Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

• Please log in to reply
8074 replies to this topic

#5341 thenexus6

thenexus6

more human than human

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

Super 8 is better than Cowboys and Aliens; although I've only seen C&A once as it didn't really have an impression on me.

Watched Paranorman tonight - Liked it failed to see it in cinemas. Thought it may have been a little too scary for children?

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee.
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie

#5342 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:30 AM

Super 8 was awful. Boring story, annoying characters, terrible alien.

Not sure why it's being compared to Cowboys & Aliens, other than the fact they both have aliens, but I'd much rather watch that again than suffer through Super 8 one more time.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#5343 moon_knight

moon_knight

Gotta Have Blue Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:41 AM

It feels like theres already been a disussion on nostalgia the movie. It was ok.

#5344 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:49 AM

Not sure why it's being compared to Cowboys & Aliens, other than the fact they both have aliens, but I'd much rather watch that again than suffer through Super 8 one more time.

I only compared the two because they both have aliens shrouded in mystery and they both are intriguing films, then when it goes to the second act and you actually encounter the aliens it is terrible.

I loved JJ Abrahams' Star Trek, but all his other projects he develops are hype heavy with so little payoff it's a huge disappointment.

#5345 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:00 AM

I only compared the two because they both have aliens shrouded in mystery and they both are intriguing films, then when it goes to the second act and you actually encounter the aliens it is terrible.

I loved JJ Abrahams' Star Trek, but all his other projects he develops are hype heavy with so little payoff it's a huge disappointment.

*insert Lost joke* but I do still love Super 8, even if others dont

Hey, you look like you have a lot of money; how about donating some of it to my Extra Life drive?

#5346 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:20 AM

*insert Lost joke* but I do still love Super 8, even if others dont

Most people seem to like it. Just wasn't for me.

#5347 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:40 AM

Remind me to never take any recommendation from you seriously. I'm all for one's opinion, but I don't see how you can call Super 8 awful yet willingly watch Cowboys & Aliens more than once.

I just finished watching V/H/S and well, it was, let's say weird. It was pretty bad, but in an entertaining way. It'd be a good movie to watch with friends, but not much more.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#5348 J7.

J7.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

I don't know if you're talking about Super 8 or C&A, but I also thought Super 8 was great for the first half of the movie, after that it wasn't. Story & atmosphere went from 100 to 0.

#5349 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

I don't know if you're talking about Super 8 or C&A, but I also thought Super 8 was great for the first half of the movie, after that it wasn't. Story & atmosphere went from 100 to 0.

Both haha

#5350 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

I can't buy a story from any medium that has naive, stupid, little piece of shit kids as the main protagonists, and that's what Super 8 had. I was also thrown off by the odd pace of the film. It was like a slow train ride and then it just took off at full fucking speed. Not good.

After seeing it a second time, did we really need to have the alien shrouded in mystery? It seemed like ambiguity for the sake of ambiguity, and it added nothing to the film. At least in Cloverfield they manuevered around that because it was the whole shaky camera thing.

Anyway, I saw Blue Valentine. It was alright, I suppose.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#5351 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

I'm all for one's opinion, but I'm not

Cowboys & Aliens is going to be bad. Just read the title, you know it will be. It has issues with dragging on, taking itself way to seriously, disappointing aliens (just like Super 8) among other things. However, when comparing the two...

I can't buy a story from any medium that has naive, stupid, little piece of shit kids as the main protagonists, and that's what Super 8 had.

Yeah. That's much more difficult to sit through, IMO.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#5352 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

I thought Super 8 was fairly entertaining. Not something I had much interest in watching again, but I enjoyed it the time I watched it.

Cowboys and Aliens I didn't care for much for the reasons blindinglights noted above. It was boring for long stretches and took itself far to seriously.

#5353 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

Cloverfeild was awesome just being in a packed theater to see it. I was totally shamed in the fact they got me to go, the movie is dreadful. But it sparked so much reaction from audience members I'm happy I went. One guy two rows in front of me jumped up and yelled "what the fuck" upon the roll of the credits, the audible groans were just awesome.

#5354 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:11 AM

I can't buy a story from any medium that has naive, stupid, little piece of shit kids as the main protagonists, and that's what Super 8 had. I was also thrown off by the odd pace of the film. It was like a slow train ride and then it just took off at full fucking speed. Not good.

After seeing it a second time, did we really need to have the alien shrouded in mystery? It seemed like ambiguity for the sake of ambiguity, and it added nothing to the film. At least in Cloverfield they manuevered around that because it was the whole shaky camera thing.

You must hate Goonies.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#5355 J7.

J7.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:49 AM

One of the best parts of Super 8 was the fact that the alien was shrouded in mystery. Like not showing the shark in Jaws or the killer in a horror film. Perhaps when watching it a 2nd time that ambiguity becomes a negative.

#5356 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

Star Wars Despecialized. Ok, this is pretty awesome. So much better quality than the laserdisc rip I had. I haven't done a side-by-side comparison but at the very least it is very close to the original movie. The only problem I had was that at one point in the movie the sound level dropped way down. I'm not sure if that's in the Despecialized edition or if it was an artifact of my converting the movie from MKV to an MP4 with Handbrake. I've since learned that I could have just sent the MKV over to the PS3 via PMS. I will try that. Although the 2+GB size MP4 looked damn good and it sure is way smaller....

Crunchewy.png

#5357 berzirk

berzirk

I'm not so serious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

Watched Paranorman tonight - Liked it failed to see it in cinemas. Thought it may have been a little too scary for children?

I know the guys who made that. If you enjoyed it, check out Coraline. Also creepy/awesome. My kids loved it, a couple parts were a little scary for them, but they were cool. Do yourself a favor though, and check out a making-of video for Coraline. The amount of detail and art that goes in to stop motion is incredible.

The movie I just saw that surprised me, Two Days in New York. Chris Rock, small indie movie. Hilarious characters, just a few moments of cheese, and overwhelmingly a very good movie.

#5358 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

Red Dawn - The acting was cheesy and the writing was pretty bad, but the amount of action scenes kept me entertained. Keep in mind I haven't seen the original so I don't have a lot to compare this to.

House at the End of the Street - Pretty neat twist towards the end. Nothing groundbreaking, but worth a watch I'd say.

Exit Through the Gift Shop - I've become fascinated with documentaries lately, but even before that, this was always on my watch list. Finally got around to watching it last night and I wasn't disappointed. Really great stuff, especially if you're a fan of art, documentaries, or both.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#5359 thenexus6

thenexus6

more human than human

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

I know the guys who made that. If you enjoyed it, check out Coraline. Also creepy/awesome. My kids loved it, a couple parts were a little scary for them, but they were cool. Do yourself a favor though, and check out a making-of video for Coraline. The amount of detail and art that goes in to stop motion is incredible.

The movie I just saw that surprised me, Two Days in New York. Chris Rock, small indie movie. Hilarious characters, just a few moments of cheese, and overwhelmingly a very good movie.

Yeah saw that in cinemas - thought it was great. What did your friends do on the film?

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee.

#5360 berzirk

berzirk

I'm not so serious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

Yeah saw that in cinemas - thought it was great. What did your friends do on the film?

One of them is an animator, the other is more in the business operations side of things. I got a tour of their facility and it was fascinating. So many talented artists there.

#5361 thenexus6

thenexus6

more human than human

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

Wow that must have been amazing!

Watched Chinese Zodiac 2012 . It was good, been waiting to see this one a while. Great Jackie Chan action. I really do appreciate his films.

Edited by saunderscowie, 09 March 2013 - 11:44 AM.

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

#5362 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

Oz, The Great and Powerful was. . .great and powerful lol. I usually hate on James Franco for being such a stoner, but I actually didn't mind him in this as a wiley magician/wizard. Also major props to Sam Raimi for creating/fleshing out some very interesting characters and the world of Oz. It's not a perfect film, but surely worth a watch.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#5363 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

Oz, The Great and Powerful was. . .great and powerful lol. I usually hate on James Franco for being such a stoner, but I actually didn't mind him in this as a wiley magician/wizard. Also major props to Sam Raimi for creating/fleshing out some very interesting characters and the world of Oz. It's not a perfect film, but surely worth a watch.

That is surprising! I've been reading reviews and they've been mostly lukewarm to bad. Will probably check this out when it comes to bu ray:D

Hey, you look like you have a lot of money; how about donating some of it to my Extra Life drive?

#5364 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

Watched half an hour of ABCs of Death, I don't think I'm going to finish it, it's awful. All the stories are either stupid or overly weird.

#5365 J7.

J7.

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:24 AM

Hart's War 3.25/5
- Overdramatic, wasted potential. Paints the Nazi's too favorably as well.

#5366 Yagami

Yagami

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:48 AM

I liked Oz. It seems like most of the critics are book snobs, where if something isn't adapted directly word by word from the book it's horrible.

Dead Man Down was really good. Some of the trailers make it look like a full blown action movie though, it's has some scenes but don't go in expecting Die Hard. More story based. Good stuff.

#5367 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:16 AM

Project X. Like seeing a train wreck in slow motion. You know it's terrible yet you can't stop watching.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#5368 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:34 AM

Just saw Tiny Furniture. Lena Dunham is very talented.

#5369 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:35 AM

Jack The Giant Slayer - It was alright. I was entertained enough.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#5370 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:48 AM

The Master.

Great acting, but little else IMO.