• Please log in to reply
8060 replies to this topic

#5431 thenexus6

thenexus6

more human than human

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:35 AM

Premium Rush

Felt this could have been better it was just okay.

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee.
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie

#5432 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

After having seen Hot Fuzz a billion times, I finally watched Shaun of the Dead.

Would probably have liked it more if I didn't hate every single character.

I guess I can see your viewpoint here.

#5433 HeroToTheMasses

HeroToTheMasses

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:37 AM

03.19.13: Flow State: 7.5
03.20.13: Night and Day: 7.1 (Korean film. Not the Tom Cruise one.)

#5434 J7.

J7.

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:16 AM

The Sitter - Not bad and had some laughs. However, I liked this better with Elizabeth Shue in the 80's, when it was called "Adventures in Babysitting".

:applause:

#5435 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:07 AM

Evil Dead - Really good remake. I'm a huge Evil Dead fan so I was a little cautious with this but they did a great job making it their own while also putting in references from the original. I was surprised with the amount of gore in it, that was very well done too. I got passes for free to a prescreening but I will gladly pay to see it again when it releases.

#5436 j-cart

j-cart

PAPER TRAILS on a mountain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:05 AM

Cloud Atlas. I got hit with some feels on that one.

#5437 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

Evil Dead - Really good remake. I'm a huge Evil Dead fan so I was a little cautious with this but they did a great job making it their own while also putting in references from the original. I was surprised with the amount of gore in it, that was very well done too. I got passes for free to a prescreening but I will gladly pay to see it again when it releases.

Did you see the red-band trailer? If you did and are still surprised by the gore that would really be something.

I hate that kind of shit so I will most likely never see this movie.

#5438 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

How could you not like Shaun of the Dead?
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#5439 Ag_SurfR

Ag_SurfR

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

fantastic mr fox

great movie. 9/10

Auen1.png?7125

#5440 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

Did you see the red-band trailer? If you did and are still surprised by the gore that would really be something.

I hate that kind of shit so I will most likely never see this movie.

I actually didn't. I think I only saw the first normal trailer for it. Gore is always welcome for me, especially if it's over the top.

#5441 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

I'm obviously as well ;). I might not have to boycott this remake anymore.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5442 moon_knight

moon_knight

Gotta Have Blue Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:57 PM

^ Why were you boycotting it to begin with?

#5443 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:00 PM

There is supposed to be a sequel to Army of Darkness coming out sometime in the future according to Raimi. So don't worry, The Chin will return I'm sure.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#5444 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:35 PM

Spring Breaaaaaaaak

Such an awesome movie.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#5445 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:27 AM

^ Why were you boycotting it to begin with?

First, I'm a big fan of the Evil Dead Trilogy and didn't want to see it remade.

Second, I don't like most remakes. They tend to present more style over substance.

Third, no Bruce Campbell as Ash.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5446 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:35 AM

I think one of the main reasons I liked it is because they didn't put Ash in it. I think if there was a character named Ash and he cut his hand off and replaced it with a chainsaw yada yada then I would have hated it. They did this remake the right way.

#5447 moon_knight

moon_knight

Gotta Have Blue Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:46 AM

Second, I don't like most remakes. They tend to present more style over substance.

Just because some remakes suck doesn't mean all of them do. Avoiding a movie just because its remake isn't a very valid reason imo.

#5448 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:52 AM

"Killer Joe"

Yeah, Matthew McConaughy is fucked up in this movie. chuckles. I mean I heard he was a sob in this.

Oh and I'm sure a lot of you here would like to see Gina Gershon play a White trash housewife. chuckle. :D

Willaim Friedkin directed it. It's not as weird as "Bug" but it does have some scenes.
Posted Image

"Friends let friends eat each other out.".

#5449 J7.

J7.

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:41 AM

I may be wrong but isn't it being remade by the same people who made the originals (Produced by Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi). I could see if you boycotted it if it was made by someone else entirely. Then again there is the George Lucas factor.

#5450 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

Oz, the Great and Powerful - I originally wanted to see it on opening weekend, but couldn't fit it into my schedule so I kind of lost interest in this, but I had some cheap tickets so I went and saw this last night. I loved it. The story wasn't anything spectacular, but the charm was there and the visuals were top-notch. James Franco definitely helped it, but really the rest of the cast was great as well.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#5451 J7.

J7.

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:02 AM

Chernobyl diaries 3.75/5 - I really liked this because it had great immersion, made you feel like you were there too. It starts off great and goes downhill, but still stays good enough.

#5452 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:28 AM

Chernobyl diaries 3.75/5 - I really liked this because it had great immersion, made you feel like you were there too. It starts off great and goes downhill, but still stays good enough.

I've wanted to blind buy this for a long time but there's never a deal on it. How can a movie hated on by so many hold a $20 price tag?

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#5453 Vulgarism

Vulgarism

A living, breathing piece of defecating meat.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:06 AM

Just because some remakes suck doesn't mean all of them do. Avoiding a movie just because its remake isn't a very valid reason imo.

From what I've read, it doesn't establish itself as it's own film, but tries to throw in as many homages to the original as possible. It's one of the biggest reasons the premake of The Thing was horrible... It relied too heavily on recreating scenes which happened in Carpenter's version, which then took you out of the film... It didn't have it's own identity, it was too busy waving it's arms in the air saying "We know what you want and here it is!!!"

On top of that, Diablo Cody's writing is extremely one-dimensional. Are people only excited because this movie is full of gore?

#5454 J7.

J7.

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:41 AM

I've wanted to blind buy this for a long time but there's never a deal on it. How can a movie hated on by so many hold a $20 price tag?

That's weird. If I were you I would rent it instead. Not sure I'd watch it again.

From what I've read, it doesn't establish itself as it's own film, but tries to throw in as many homages to the original as possible. It's one of the biggest reasons the premake of The Thing was horrible... It relied too heavily on recreating scenes which happened in Carpenter's version, which then took you out of the film... It didn't have it's own identity, it was too busy waving it's arms in the air saying "We know what you want and here it is!!!"

On top of that, Diablo Cody's writing is extremely one-dimensional. Are people only excited because this movie is full of gore?

I was a huge fan of the original The Thing, and I found the remake to be excellent. One of the best remakes ever made. It was the same yet just... updated.

#5455 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

I think it does a terrific job of making itself it's own film. Obviously it has some scenes and homages to the original, it's a fucking remake. But there's enough in here to stand on it's own. Maybe you should see it before making assumptions based on reviews.

I agree that The Thing prequel was awful, but that's because it was a prequel and not a remake. If it were a remake then of course you can get away with using specific scenes from the original, but a prequel has the task of being new and fresh while setting up for the next movie. So honestly, comparing The Thing and Evil Dead is completely pointless, a prequel and a remake are in no way the same thing.

#5456 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

Nope.

People also like saying a movie sucks just because it's a remake.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#5457 HeroToTheMasses

HeroToTheMasses

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

Terrible "The Wolverine" Poster:

Spoiler

#5458 Vulgarism

Vulgarism

A living, breathing piece of defecating meat.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

I think it does a terrific job of making itself it's own film. Obviously it has some scenes and homages to the original, it's a fucking remake. But there's enough in here to stand on it's own. Maybe you should see it before making assumptions based on reviews.

Oh, if I made assumptions based on reviewS, I'd say I would be in for a treat... But, one of the two people I tend to side with (Devin Faraci) made valid points that I was worried about. From that one sentence write-up, it sounds wonderful. It takes the over-used friends going to the woods for a weekend of partying and sex, and replaces it with something very grounded in reality and intriguing. I am also sure the gore is fantastic, but I've watched enough splatter films and exploitation in my life to need more than that in a film. The marketing also seems to be so up it's own ass that it's completely turned me off from the film... Now, mind you, I know that isn't any credit to any of the talent attached to the film, but rather the production company, but regardless, if you have to go out of your way these days to label yourself as the "best" or "greatest" or even "scariest" film ever, you need to get off your pedestal. This movie was completely unnecessary. It took a film with a little bit of black humor (everybody says that The Evil Dead was completely serious, but they are for the most part, wrong) and turned it into something that your typical teenager will go into and come out saying it is, indeed, the scariest movie ever. I'll eventually watch it, but I'm not going to sit in a theater distracted by the ominous glow of phones tweeting out how scared shitless each attendant is. Bleh.

There are some exceptional remakes. Say what you will about little character development in Dawn of the Dead, but it took something that had a loud message and shed a lot of the weight to make it a more lean experience. Sure, it tripped over itself a few times, but it worked out so well in the end by bringing a pulse to a dying genre. Plus, The Ring is somewhere in my top twenty, as Verbinski didn't sacrifice the terrifying "what if" scenario to make a movie that over explained itself. Plus, Naomi Watts in that movie...

In The Evil Dead, it was such a shallow film, but it was executed with such a fun atmosphere. You could tell Raimi and Campbell were loving every second they shot. There wasn't much in the way of plot development or even character development, but Ash became such a recognizable character that it spawned not only two sequels, but also a pretty interesting career for Campbell. It's going to be extremely hard to find a character to latch onto like you did with Ash in a remake that seems to be so much style over substance. Again, the idea of going into the woods for an intervention is such a great, fresh take on the genre, but there seems to be a lack of any strong lead or character in the film at all.

#5459 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

Silent House - Pretty impressive and downright mind-blowing that it was all filmed in one take. However, the ending was extremely disappointing and kind of made the rest of the movie seem pointless.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#5460 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

Silent House - Pretty impressive and downright mind-blowing that it was all filmed in one take. However, the ending was extremely disappointing and kind of made the rest of the movie seem pointless.

Agreed. The ending completely ruined the movie for me.

I was impressed with Elizabeth Olsen though. Didn't realize she was related to the Olsen twins at first since she doesn't look like a gremlin.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!