Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

• Please log in to reply
8062 replies to this topic

#5611 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:14 AM

All this time I thought I was the only one who could admit openly that they didn't like Blade Runner.

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#5612 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:14 AM

If anything Total Recall has more in common with Blade Runner than Oblivion.

Same Author so there is that.

Oblivion borrows/steals from so many Science Fiction properties that it doesn't properly solidify its own identity among the great Sci-Fi films. I didn't think the film was bad (the music was pretty amazing), but to compare it it Blade Runner is pretty kray kray.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#5613 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:54 PM

Life of Pi.

Liked it a lot. Will pick up the 3D Bluray eventually.

#5614 HeroToTheMasses

HeroToTheMasses

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:58 PM

04.12.13: Cirque Du Soleil: World's Away: 7.2
04.12.13: Life is Beautiful: 9.4
04.13.13: The Wages of Fear: 9.5
04.14.13: The Thin Red Line: 8.7
04.15.13: The Battle of Algiers: 9.1
04.16.13: Flags of Our Fathers: 7.0
04.17.13: Battleship Potemkin: 8.4
04.18.13: Letters From Iwo Jima: 8.5
04.19.13: Whisky Galore: 7.1
04.20.13: Glory: 9.3
04.21.13: Dragon Ball Z: Fusion Reborn: 8.0
04.22.13: The Last King of Scotland: 8.7
04.23.13: Escape From New York: 8.5
04.23.13: The Last Stand: 7.2
04.25.13: One Piece: Z: 8.3
04.28.13: Platoon: 9.3

#5615 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:53 PM

04.12.13: Cirque Du Soleil: World's Away: 7.2
04.12.13: Life is Beautiful: 9.4
04.13.13: The Wages of Fear: 9.5
04.14.13: The Thin Red Line: 8.7
04.15.13: The Battle of Algiers: 9.1
04.16.13: Flags of Our Fathers: 7.0
04.17.13: Battleship Potemkin: 8.4
04.18.13: Letters From Iwo Jima: 8.5
04.19.13: Whisky Galore: 7.1
04.20.13: Glory: 9.3
04.21.13: Dragon Ball Z: Fusion Reborn: 8.0
04.22.13: The Last King of Scotland: 8.7
04.23.13: Escape From New York: 8.5
04.23.13: The Last Stand: 7.2
04.25.13: One Piece: Z: 8.3
04.28.13: Platoon: 9.3

I'd love to know your personal rubric for this 100 point scale you use for movies.

#5616 Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Keep Calm Chive On

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:22 PM

Prometheus

You would love to know the real meanings Ridley Scott wanted to make about the Engineers, or at least one of them

Check my YouTube channel for exotic cars: https://www.youtube.com/user/DKGarage

#5617 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:02 AM

Same Author so there is that.

Oblivion borrows/steals from so many Science Fiction properties that it doesn't properly solidify its own identity among the great Sci-Fi films. I didn't think the film was bad (the music was pretty amazing), but to compare it it Blade Runner is pretty kray kray.

Blade Runner needs a remake.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#5618 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:02 AM

Blade Runner needs a remake.

It most certainly does not.

#5619 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:02 AM

You would love to know the real meanings Ridley Scott wanted to make about the Engineers, or at least one of them

There's a sequel called Paradise in the works that would hopefully shed more light on that as it would involve Shaw going to their home world. Not sure on what the current status on it actually getting made is.

Edited by dmaul1114, 01 May 2013 - 05:38 PM.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#5620 thenexus6

thenexus6

more human than human

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:26 AM

What do you mean? Do you mean that think with Jesus Christ?

I am looking through to "Prometheus 2" big fan of Ridley Scott.

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee.
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie

#5621 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:34 AM

Saw 42 last night. Even though you knew everything that was going to happen and every story beat ahead of time, it was still really entertaining.

Harrison Ford was incredible.

#5622 ClydeShebang

ClydeShebang

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

What do you mean? Do you mean that think with Jesus Christ?

I am looking through to "Prometheus 2" big fan of Ridley Scott.

If they do make a sequel I expect good things from it, felt very underwhelmed from the first one. It's the hype, that's why I haven't hyped myself in recent times for anything, including Iron Man 3 - looking forward to seeing it on the weekend.

ClydeShebang.png

leo6.gif

#5623 Alucard0x

Alucard0x

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

Was able to win a pass last weekend to see Iron Man 3. Just saw it last night at the pre screening. It was just amazing!

Edited by Alucard0x, 01 May 2013 - 12:32 PM.

#5624 ClydeShebang

ClydeShebang

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

Was able to win a pass last weekend to see Iron Man 3. Just saw it last night at the pre screening. It was just amazing!

Cool, good to know. It's been out a week here already, just thought I'd skip the first week rush. Hate a full cinema, especially when it's a film families can watch.

I got a certain twist spoiled to me, which apparently has some parts of the net in uproar, I'm not too fussed since I'm a casual fan of the characters from the cartoons in the 90's but how would you say it was handled in the context of the film?

ClydeShebang.png

leo6.gif

#5625 HeroToTheMasses

HeroToTheMasses

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:55 PM

I'd love to know your personal rubric for this 100 point scale you use for movies.

I primarily gauge memorable scenes, entertainment value, dialogue, acting, and whether I'd be okay watching the film again inside a week. Films get a 9.0 or above if I didn't have any problems and they engaged me personally. Films under 7.0 have issues with entertainment and resulted in boredom at certain points. Films under 5.0 have serious filmmaking hang-ups like broken sound, editing, missing reels and are just all around terrible: Birdemic.

For example, "Cirque Du Soleil" (7.2) was an okay film. A Alice in Wonderland story with a few great circus tricks but otherwise largely forgetful high wire acts. Not satisfying but competently made and never offended me.

"The Last Stand" (7.2) was also competently made. A little entertaining but nevertheless hokey. I wish there was a more substance and creativity to characters and set pieces.

"Life is Beautiful" (9.4) carries a powerful message about a father protecting his son in a concentration camp. A number of touching scenes involved the dad bullshitting his ass off to keep the reality of the situation from reaching the son, even as the dad character
Spoiler

"The Wages of Fear" (9.5) was amazing. It's among the best suspense filled movies I've seen. The story is about these losers in the middle of nowhere hired to drive trucks filled with nitroglycerin where the smallest jolt could see the trucks explode. Starts slow but the way the story builds from one danger to the next is profoundly tense.

The worst film I've seen this year is called "I am an S&M Writer". A terrible film about a writer whose wife carries an S&M affair with his underling. Rather than showing any sign of pain, the writer calls upon the underling to describe all aspects of the affair so he can complete his masterpiece. Would have rated it lower but technically the film was fine.

#5626 HeroToTheMasses

HeroToTheMasses

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:05 PM

I primarily gauge memorable scenes, entertainment value, dialogue, acting, and whether I'd be okay watching the film again inside a week. Films get a 9.0 or above if I didn't have any problems and they engaged me personally. Films under 7.0 are considered to be broken in some manner and resulted in boredom. See: Birdemic.

For example, "Cirque Du Soleil" (7.2) was an okay film. A Alice in Wonderland story with a few great circus tricks but otherwise largely forgetful high wire acts. Not satisfying but competently made and never offended me.

"The Last Stand" (7.2) was also competently made. A little entertaining but nevertheless hokey. I wish there was a more substance and creativity to characters and set pieces.

On the other hand "Life is Beautiful" carries a powerful message about a father protecting his son in a concentration camp. A number of touching scenes involved the dad bullshitting his ass off to keep the reality of the situation from reaching the son, even as the dad character
Spoiler

"The Wages of Fear" was amazing. It's among the best suspense filled movies I've seen. The story is about these losers in the middle of nowhere hired to drive trucks filled with nitroglycerin where the smallest jolt could see the trucks explode. Starts slow but the way the story builds from one danger to the next is profoundly tense and it sticks with me even now.

The worst film I saw this year so far was something called "I am an S&M Writer". A terrible film about a writer whose wife carries an S&M affair with his underling. Rather than showing any sign of pain, the writer has the underling describe every aspect of this affair to him to help complete his masterpiece. Would be lurid if it wasn't so boring. It was really bad and I hated it. I would have rated it lower but the technical aspects of the film were fine.

#5627 merchie89

merchie89

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

Has anyone here seen Mud? I had to leave early yesterday and missed the last 30 minutes...cant find anything online
(Actual register date 3/3/2009, not sure why I switched accounts)

#5628 ClydeShebang

ClydeShebang

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:06 AM

Just finished watching Michael Clayton, very good film. Feels like a good companion piece to the ides of march.

ClydeShebang.png

leo6.gif

#5629 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:41 AM

Just finished watching Michael Clayton, very good film. Feels like a good companion piece to the ides of march.

That is a movie I like more and more every time I watch it. There were other movies that were better that year (No Country and TWBB), but I think that as time passes that was the movie I liked the most.

Posted Image

#5630 HeroToTheMasses

HeroToTheMasses

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

Jack Reacher: 7.8

In this day it's difficult to separate Tom Cruise from the characters he plays unless the costume department really works to not make him look like Tom Cruise anymore (Tropic Thunder, Collateral, Magnolia), but if you can get past Cruise playing a badass soldier (it took me about thirty minutes to do so), it was enjoyable. The only thing I have against "Jack Reacher" is that the Reacher character made everyone else look like a child compared to him. There was no foil for him to play off of which took away from the drama of the thing.

The bad guys are built up as being horrible, horrible death dealers who can vanish you with a snap of the finger, but we certainly never see that except for in the opening and that's it for the extent of their heinousness. Sure they kill off another pair of characters, but certainly no one we've developed any empathy for, and it cheapens the whole sense of danger we may otherwise feel.

There were about 3 major action scenes in the whole film. The first introduces you to Reacher's fighting abilities, the second showcases his driving skills, and the final is the big blow-off. None of these reach Michael Bay levels of insane awesomeness (barring Transformers) but overall Director Christopher McQuarrie makes for a very watchable film that goes down easy but could have used a little more flavor.

#5631 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

Iron Man 3 - 4.5/5 - Wow, that was completely different than anything I was expecting. That was so damn good. Easily the best Iron Man movie. Absolutely amazing performances by Robert Downey Jr. and Guy Pearce (he really steals the show here). Everyone owes it to themselves to go see it.
Posted Image

#5632 ClydeShebang

ClydeShebang

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

Iron Man 3 - 4.5/5 - Wow, that was completely different than anything I was expecting. That was so damn good. Easily the best Iron Man movie. Absolutely amazing performances by Robert Downey Jr. and Guy Pearce (he really steals the show here). Everyone owes it to themselves to go see it.

Good to know, watching it tomorrow, had a bit of a bad feeling though.

ClydeShebang.png

leo6.gif

#5633 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

I thought it was terrible. Its good if you want to see a comedy with a few minutes of what looks like Iron Man thrown in.

#5634 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

I thought it was terrible. Its good if you want to see a comedy with a few minutes of what looks like Iron Man thrown in.

I loved the first Iron Man and hated the second (drunk Iron Man, wtf?). Which is the 3rd one most like?

#5635 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

More like the first one in the way there isn't a lot of him in the suit...except he's in it a lot less in 3.

More like the second one in the way the story is completely stupid. They replaced him being drunk with having some anxiety attacks about gods and aliens being real that makes no sense to me since he was completely fine with it in The Avengers.

#5636 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

More like the first one in the way there isn't a lot of him in the suit...except he's in it a lot less in 3.

More like the second one in the way the story is completely stupid. They replaced him being drunk with having some anxiety attacks about gods and aliens being real that makes no sense to me since he was completely fine with it in The Avengers.

lol who said he was fine with it? He went through it and it's now affecting him.

I haven't seen the movie yet but understanding superhero movies and comics. You are thrust into some things you just handle at that time and then you can reflect on it. i.e. like real life.

#5637 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:46 PM

lol who said he was fine with it? He went through it and it's now affecting him.

I haven't seen the movie yet but understanding superhero movies and comics. You are thrust into some things you just handle at that time and then you can reflect on it. i.e. like real life.

The whole movie shows he was fine with it. He acts like nothing is a big deal in The Avengers. His anxiety issues in IM3 felt so forced.

#5638 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:00 PM

The whole movie shows he was fine with it. He acts like nothing is a big deal in The Avengers. His anxiety issues in IM3 felt so forced.

People go to war each and every day and it doesn't affect them at the time, but when you attempt to live a normal life after such a life-altering event, it effects you in ways you wouldn't imagine. Ever heard of PTSD? That's likely what Tony was suffering from, despite brushing it off when asked.

It seems like you're trying to find reasons to hate this movie.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#5639 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

I loved the first Iron Man and hated the second (drunk Iron Man, wtf?). Which is the 3rd one most like?

I'd argue that it is vastly different than either IM or IM2. Consequently enough, the fact that Shane Black is the director is proof of that, seeing how he has a completely different style of directing than Favreau. He deviated so far from the formulas of IM and IM2, that he created something new and fresh for Tony Stark in Iron Man 3. This is more of character evaluation and exploration of Stark, as both a human and Iron Man, and RDJ knocks it out of the park. Don't go into it being a rompin' stompin' pure action flick (though there is that). The comedy doesn't bog the film down, and unlike IM2, the comedy comes at places that are right for it. Plus, it's Tony fucking Stark, the man has always been purely sarcastic, sardonic and arrogant.
Posted Image

#5640 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:04 PM

People go to war each and every day and it doesn't affect them at the time, but when you attempt to live a normal life after such a life-altering event, it effects you in ways you wouldn't imagine. Ever heard of PTSD? That's likely what Tony was suffering from, despite brushing it off when asked.

It seems like you're trying to find reasons to hate this movie.

I legitimately was excited to see it. Not my fault it turned out to be terrible.

It was forced, pointless, came up at random times and added absolutely nothing to the movie.