Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

• Please log in to reply
7748 replies to this topic

#5701 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:51 AM

I keep confusing the kid from Last Action Hero with one of the brats from the Goonies, especially when the latter has a good ten years over this one.
It's a pretty stupid movie, and I can't believe I loved reading the novelization as a kid!

Batsugunner.png

#5702 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

The Avengers on 3D Bluray. Now all set to catch Ion Man 3 sometime next week.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#5703 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

Lars and the real girl is one of gosling's best performances. He is one of my favorite actors hence why I wish he would take on different roles and challenge himself.

Man I pretty much hated Lars. Mainly for the fact that I can understand his whole family acting the way they did for him, but the entire town? Give me a break.

#5704 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

Chernobyl Diaries. I loved the first half as I expected I would because it feels like you're actually taking a tour of the zone, which can legitimately be done with tour guides. I actually learned a few things I didn't know about so despite being a horror movie, it's also part documentary. The second half explores more of the zone but with all the usual scares and suspense, so at that point you can turn off your brain.

Overall, I genuinely liked it. It's presented well, has some good suspense and isn't overacted like most slashers. I think what works most for it is the element of the zone being real, so there's that level of connection to the real world rather than being totally unbelievable. A must see for anyone into dystopia.

#5705 thenexus6

thenexus6

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

Commando

One of my favorite action movies.

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

PSN the-nexus6 | Xbox Live Ken the Wizard
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie

#5706 NinjaPenguin777

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

The Place Beyond the Pines. Loved it. Very different in tone from the trailers. Ryan Gosling needs to try out some new roles. The brooding, disenfranchised white male is getting kind of old. Highly recommend.

Very different tone? More like completely different movie. Way too long and the story went absolutely nowhere. It's like they threw two completely different scripts together and just said f*ck it, lets do this. I couldn't wait to get out of the theater and my girlfriend felt the same way. She's the one that wanted to see it in the first place.
Spoiler

The trailer felt the same as Inglorious Bastards and Lawless. Went in expecting what I saw from the trailers, came out with a totally different movie

I saw Django Unchained a few days ago. That was an awesome movie through and through

Formerly known as slickkill77

#5707 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:36 PM

Very different tone? More like completely different movie. Way too long and the story went absolutely nowhere. It's like they threw two completely different scripts together and just said f*ck it, lets do this. I couldn't wait to get out of the theater and my girlfriend felt the same way. She's the one that wanted to see it in the first place.

Spoiler

Just recently saw The Place Beyond The Pines. Very good imo but it was indeed almost like watching 2 different movies. Kind of odd. Also it was very predictable but I liked it anyway.

#5708 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:22 PM

Our Idiot Brother. I was shocked how good this was. Incredibly charming and feel good. Save this one for when you're having a bad day.

#5709 thepattenfactor

thepattenfactor

Resident Caffeinated Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:24 AM

Saw Iron Man 3 today. I wasn't sure how they would continue the story and do it effectively, but it was worth every penny for me. Great job all around for the series. Just hoping they don't make any more movies and ruin the perfect ending.

#5710 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:30 PM

The Amazing Spider-Man. The fan in me was irked that the movie didn't follow the origin "right," and didn't like Garfield's Parker at first, for being a punk. Peter in the comics, was a rather obedient boy, and he let the robber get away due to an inflated ego, which taught him a very important lesson. This Parker went on a vendetta and it took quite a while for him to understand the responsibilities his power gave him. All in all, I liked the movie, even if it was different. I guess that's why they make movies, as you can't just depend on the same classic material. You have to at least go different once in a while. If you didn't like the Amazing Spider-Man because of a different origin story, you might as well watch the first Raimi movie.

The Hobbit part 1 was a thrilling ride, and I guess it helped that I watched it on DVD as opposed to Blu-Ray on a giant screen. People complained that everything looked so fake, despite the fact when you watch a freaking fantasy or scifi movie in HD, of course everything's going to look fake. I just couldn't get into watching the Avengers on a TV as tall as I am.
I just loved that Gandalf smoked a lot of weed, while his friend was trippin' on mushrooms. I wonder what's Saruman's poision? Painkillers?

Edited by detectiveconan16, 13 May 2013 - 11:00 AM.

Batsugunner.png

#5711 ClydeShebang

ClydeShebang

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:41 PM

Just recently saw The Place Beyond The Pines. Very good imo but it was indeed almost like watching 2 different movies. Kind of odd. Also it was very predictable but I liked it anyway.

It was good but could have been great, some of it was wasted potential but still worth a watch.

Just watched savages, thought I'd like it being an Oliver Stone crime film but honestly I found it boring.

ClydeShebang.png

leo6.gif

#5712 ClydeShebang

ClydeShebang

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:36 PM

Just watched sinister. Man that was good. Slow but that ending sure was creepy.

ClydeShebang.png

leo6.gif

#5713 kdiddy1989

kdiddy1989

2011 NBA Champions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:20 PM

Finally got around to seeing Bolt and just like most animated films with the name Disney involved, I enjoyed it from the beginning to the end.

#5714 Lieutenant Dan

Lieutenant Dan

Ice Cream!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:37 PM

Saw Cloud Atlas. Really liked it. One of those movies you could probably watch 5-10 times and pick up new things each time.

#5715 thenexus6

thenexus6

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:50 PM

Lars and the Real Girl

I enjoyed it, great performance from Ryan Gosling.

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

PSN the-nexus6 | Xbox Live Ken the Wizard
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie

#5716 Nifty_Shark

Nifty_Shark

Still not The Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

The Great Gatsby - Go to hell Jay-Z!!! And the first third isn't all that good either but mainly the soundtrack is ill fitting. Didn't feel like art as music is but it felt like a Mr. and Mrs. Carter show. Even that amazing Jack White cover doesn't really hit at all in the movie.

I did enjoy the main 4 actors though. I'm a DiCaprio fan so there might be some bias from me.

#5717 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

Les Miserables.

Really good. Crowe's singing wasn't great, but his acting was solid. Everyone else was fantastic.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#5718 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

Star Trek: Into Darkness - 3.5/5 - A vast improvement over Star Trek, but it kinda fell flat at the end and ended up being more fan service than a true ending that it deserved. Some really great moments throughout the film, but a few overacted scenes. Pine, Cumberbatch and Quinto were fantastic in their roles, but most of the other cast were overlooked or reduced to a series of one-liners.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#5719 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:27 PM

Yeah, my problem with the new Star Trek is that you really, really need to be a fan to appreciate all that JJ is trying to do. I feel like these movies play more of a tribute to their source rather than stand alone and take us on adventures. If I went into detail why, it would spoil the surprises but it also didn't help that there was no strong villain in this one either. Great movies have always been about conflict and resolution, but this one felt more like the resolution was already in place before the conflict started. It definitely felt flat but I'm sure it was due to all the fan service I wasn't understanding since I'm not at all a huge Star Trek fan.

As far as movies go, it's far from terrible because the action and pacing are all top notch. I just wish it would spark the imagination like the original films did.

#5720 J7.

J7.

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:21 AM

Avatar - Meh, pretty much a letdown. Guess it was more of a 3d experience in movie theaters than anything else. Cliche story. Felt like this is what Final Fantasy Spirits Withing should have been.

#5721 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:37 AM

Yeah, my problem with the new Star Trek is that you really, really need to be a fan to appreciate all that JJ is trying to do. I feel like these movies play more of a tribute to their source rather than stand alone and take us on adventures. If I went into detail why, it would spoil the surprises but it also didn't help that there was no strong villain in this one either. Great movies have always been about conflict and resolution, but this one felt more like the resolution was already in place before the conflict started. It definitely felt flat but I'm sure it was due to all the fan service I wasn't understanding since I'm not at all a huge Star Trek fan.

As far as movies go, it's far from terrible because the action and pacing are all top notch. I just wish it would spark the imagination like the original films did.

I think the exact opposite of everything you said is how it actually is. These movies seem to be more for people who don't really care about Star Trek than die hard fans. I know they do throw in some references that people who aren't huge Star Trek fans wouldn't get, but I don't think that takes anything away from their experience.

I do love how they released it on Thursday without really telling anyone though :lol:

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#5722 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:38 PM

Star Trek Into Darkness - I loved it. I'm not a Star Trek fan at all and thought it was great. I would agree with whoknows in saying these movies are more for people who aren't Trek fans since I'm sure true Trekkies tear these movies apart.

#5723 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

After having the disc from netflix sit around for two weeks, I finally watched Les Miserables. Not typically a fan of musicals, but I have to say, it was really pretty incredible. If only from an acting standpoint, it's definitely one of the better performances I've seen from many of the actors. And man, that first 30 minutes or so was brutal! I don't know that I'd want or be able to watch it again, but it's easily one of the better films I've seen from last year:)
Let me tell you two useful pieces of information...

#5724 ClydeShebang

ClydeShebang

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:07 PM

A good day to die hard. It felt hollow if you know what I mean, definitely not a die hard movie to me. Only in name, not in spirit.

ClydeShebang.png

leo6.gif

#5725 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:49 AM

I think the exact opposite of everything you said is how it actually is. These movies seem to be more for people who don't really care about Star Trek than die hard fans. I know they do throw in some references that people who aren't huge Star Trek fans wouldn't get, but I don't think that takes anything away from their experience.

I do love how they released it on Thursday without really telling anyone though :lol:

Yeah, I talked to a friend who is a fan and he picked apart the same points I had so it sounds like this movie didn't really appease fans or interested moviegoers lol. I also came to the realization that my biggest problem with the movie versus the original films is that this one was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too uptight and serious. There's no real time to breathe and reflect or take in some of the jokes because it's action-packed.

And it's good to know I wasn't just crazy about the Thursday release. I started looking at showtimes that day for Friday and was like, WTF it's already playing?

#5726 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:11 AM

Cabin in the Woods - 4.5/5 - Fantastic film. Satirically deconstructs the horror genre while producing a competent, entertaining and hilarious film.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#5727 ClydeShebang

ClydeShebang

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:36 PM

Cabin in the Woods - 4.5/5 - Fantastic film. Satirically deconstructs the horror genre while producing a competent, entertaining and hilarious film.

I took my friend to watch this in the cinema's and he loved it while some of the younger people there seemed to dislike it. Anyway point being when we went to watch Evil Dead, which he's not seen the originals of, my friend turned to me and said "Cabin In The Woods has ruined this me". I thought that was funny.

Btw loved both of them.

ClydeShebang.png

leo6.gif

#5728 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

Saw Star Trek and read some reviews from people on IMDB and Letterboxd and the hardcore fans definitely loathe this film. I can understand where they are coming from.

Spoiler

I think some people are ripping apart the movie a bit too much. Complaining Alice Eve is shown in her underwear for no reason? Really? That they changed what is the warp-speed special effect? That's just looking for reasons to slam it.

It's a good movie with good portrayals (again) of the characters. I think that's really where these new reboots shine. But if you are a purist, proceed with caution. It's just a bit of a letdown that they easily could have had all viewers satisfied with some tweaks.

#5729 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

Saw Star Trek and read some reviews some people on IMDB and Letterboxd and the hardcore fans definitely loathe this film. I can understand where they are coming from.

Spoiler

I think some people are apart the movie a bit too much. Complaining Alice Eve is shown in her underwear for no reason? Really? That they changed what is the warp-speed special effect? That's just looking for reasons to slam it.

It's a good movie with good portrayals (again) of the characters. I think that's really where these new reboots shine. But if you are a purist, proceed with caution. But they easily could have had all viewers satisfied with some tweaks.

I thought the movie was really entertaining. Benedict Cumberbatch was excellent as was the rest of the cast. My only complaint was that they should have reigned in the action a bit. Everyone seemed to be running...to nowhere.
Xecutioner
CML

#5730 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

Don't forget jumping!

Two shots I thought were really breathtaking to watch.

Spoiler