Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

• Please log in to reply
7765 replies to this topic

#6841 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:15 PM

Vanilla Sky - Old but it was rather amazing imo. It totally messes with your head and you get one of those "endings" where you never really know.

I really wanted to love it, but there's so many flaws. It has great quotes though.

#6842 wuulee

wuulee

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:23 PM

I really wanted to love it, but there's so many flaws. It has great quotes though.

Well much of what i though were flaws seemed to be intentional. Then again, it really is all in how each of us see things. I really misjudged the movie about 20 minutes in, but decided to finish it, happy I did.

629833.png

#6843 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:21 PM

Vanilla Sky - Old but it was rather amazing imo. It totally messes with your head and you get one of those "endings" where you never really know.

Wasn't that the remake of Abre los Ojos?  Been a long time, but I seem to recall that being superior.

#6844 iNCREDiPiNOY

iNCREDiPiNOY

This guy is awesome!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:22 PM

Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones - 1/5 - Lame!

#6845 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:22 AM

Wasn't that the remake of Abre los Ojos?  Been a long time, but I seem to recall that being superior.

It was. I haven't seen the original, but everyone at the time said it was better.

#6846 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:24 AM

It was. I haven't seen the original, but everyone at the time said it was better.

People always say the original is better even when it's not true though.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#6847 wuulee

wuulee

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:18 AM

well the remake is actually nearly the same. very little was changed such as the setting where the main character lives. even Cruz plays her same role in the remake. the biggest difference is only in the ending which in the remake leaves it more to the persons imagination. 

People always say the original is better even when it's not true though.

there is always a 50/50 chance with that. some movies cannot be remade because well..they come from a different era. a good example is RED DAWN, this was made with the idea of the Cuban/Russian invasion in 1980s (when an invasion could actually be done). the remake is a N.Korean invasion with a hint of Russian help, in modern times, which is now nearly impossible. you would need the entire N.Korean population to do such a feat. I enjoyed the movie for what it was but some things don't work by changing ab to cd.

Dredd remake was great because it is really all about how much you can achieve with what you got. Since this is a comic based in the future. Plus at the time there were still some fears of how graphic you could go. Both are good films, but I'd say the new Dredd captures the true form of the comic world.

Just my pov and sorry for the lengthy post.

629833.png

#6848 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:59 PM

I wouldn't even consider Dredd a "remake"

"Remakes" keep the same story, with changes here and there. Dredd is the character in a different story all together. The term "reboot" I guess works better.

It's like saying Amazing Spider-Man is a remake of Spider-Man, which would be closer to true in that case. I still see that as rebooting or restarting the franchise.

Whereas the new Total Recall and Robocop movies are remakes.

Destro1.gif            DestroVega.jpg

#6849 themaster20000

themaster20000

You sleeping yet?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:29 PM

Remakes are usually better 2 out of 10 times. Most of the time they don't improve anything,the acting is usually worse,and for some movies they just feel unnecessary;with one of the best examples being the 1998 Psycho remake starring Vince Vaughn as Norman Bates.

#6850 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

Remakes are usually better 2 out of 10 times. Most of the time they don't improve anything,the acting is usually worse,and for some movies they just feel unnecessary;with one of the best examples being the 1998 Psycho remake starring Vince Vaughn as Norman Bates.

I'd agree that particular remake was pointless since it was pretty much the exact same movie but with an incredibly miscast Vince Vaughn but there are other remakes out there that I can see the point to.

even when the original is better though people act like the remake is garbage just because its a remake.

#6851 themaster20000

themaster20000

You sleeping yet?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:36 PM

I could see that happening with the Robocop remake even though it doesn't look that bad,I can't see it being better than the original,but it can't be as bad as Robocop 3 or the Prime Directives mini-series.

#6852 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

I think Robocop looks to be good.

People started complaining about it from the day it was announced though. It's a reboot, not a remake. People should accept it's not going to be the same and it's better it's not. If it was, then what's the point?

#6853 ClydeShebang

ClydeShebang

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:34 PM

In the case of Robocop, the intentions seem different for the new one compared to the old one. In the new one it looks like it's going to focus on murphy and the affects it has on his family and be a bit superhero like, while in the original verhoeven had more of a social commentary/parody thing going on.

ClydeShebang.png

leo6.gif

#6854 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

Remakes are just hit or miss.

In general, I'm not a huge fan as I'd rather see the money and talent go to telling a new story than retelling one that's already been told.  Especially if the original was well done.

Reboots I'm ok with as there's only so many times you can make sequels with the same actors etc., and they tend to involve more changes to the story vs. a remake.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#6855 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:42 AM

Name 5 good remakes. Everyone. Go.

#6856 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:51 AM

King Kong

Karate Kid

The Departed

Oceans 11

Let Me In

#6857 jlarlee

jlarlee

Tigers love pepper.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:06 AM

King Kong

Karate Kid

The Departed

Oceans 11

Let Me In

You know The departed was going through my mind when remakes were being discussed. It's a good movie but I prefer the orginal

Posted Image

#6858 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:08 AM

You know The departed was going through my mind when remakes were being discussed. It's a good movie but I prefer the orginal

I might be in the same boat with that, but he say to name five good ones, not five that are better than the original :-P

I think a lot of times with remakes people tend to forget that the original wasn't always particularly well received critically to begin with. They just pretend that the original is always a masterpiece when any remake comes out.

#6859 themaster20000

themaster20000

You sleeping yet?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:46 AM

The Thing 1982

Ben-Hur

The Fly

Dawn of the Dead

A Fistful of Dollars

#6860 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:50 AM

Invasion of the Bodysnatchers

Cape Fear

13 Assassins

Scarface

Little Shop of Horrors

Magnificent Seven

Posted Image

#6861 ClydeShebang

ClydeShebang

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:14 PM

http://www.empireonl...ault.asp?film=1

Read that list people, you'd be surprised what was a remake. Here's just a selection from the list that I've seen.

Heat (Michael Mann)

The Thing

The Fly (Cronenberg)

Some Like It Hot

Cape Fear

The Departed

12 Monkeys

Scarface

Airplane!

The Maltese Falcon (1941)

The Thomas Crown Affair

A Fistful of Dollars

The Ten Commandments (1956)

King Kong

Insomnia (Chris Nolan)

3.10: To Yuma

I generally tolerate remakes or 'ripoffs' quite well if they are decent as a film. This may be due to the high number of bollywood films I watched as a kid, which ripped off a ton of hollywood and asian films though.

ClydeShebang.png

leo6.gif

#6862 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

Good selections. I didn't like King Kong but I understand why people would say it.

Reading that Empire online list is pretty interesting, but even there i wouldn't term every movie a remake. 12 Monkeys for example is more based on something earlier than a remake. Airplane! is maybe the most fascinating of all, and again, the term remake can be used loosely since they parodied the original, and then added in parodies of other stuff you see in flashback that aren't in the source material. Two remakes on that list I think are awful are War of the Worlds and The Ring. Terrible.

Great list though, a great read.

Reservoir Dogs you can add to this list in that vein.

#6863 ClydeShebang

ClydeShebang

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:18 PM

Troll Hunter - surprised the whole family watched a Swedish film, we liked it but hated how it ended.

ClydeShebang.png

leo6.gif

#6864 themaster20000

themaster20000

You sleeping yet?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:26 PM

Miami Connection - So bad that it's awesome. If you enjoy a film  that has motorcycle ninja's that deal cocaine,along with terrible music then give it a watch.

#6865 wuulee

wuulee

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:33 AM

Lmao on the Karate Kid. but to each his own i guess.

some of the those good remakes are from probably one of the best eras of film. where there was really some thought and effort and years in between to really justify remake/reboot etc.

i mean why do we have a remake/reboot of spiderman already? they are just milking things to death, since it looks like we are running out of talented writers.

629833.png

#6866 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:02 AM

Lmao on the Karate Kid. but to each his own i guess.

some of the those good remakes are from probably one of the best eras of film. where there was really some thought and effort and years in between to really justify remake/reboot etc.

i mean why do we have a remake/reboot of spiderman already? they are just milking things to death, since it looks like we are running out of talented writers.

Karate Kid was well received critically and by people who went to see it.

And Spider-Man happened because Sam Raimi and Sony couldn't get along. It's annoying since the first half of the Amazing Spider-Man was pretty much the same first half of the original Spider-Man, but what can you do?

#6867 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:39 AM

Lone Survivor 4.5/5- loved it, good action, good acting, I can easily see this nabbing a few awards.
Posted Image

#6868 ClydeShebang

ClydeShebang

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:40 AM

Karate Kid was well received critically and by people who went to see it.

And Spider-Man happened because Sam Raimi and Sony couldn't get along. It's annoying since the first half of the Amazing Spider-Man was pretty much the same first half of the original Spider-Man, but what can you do?

There's many stories to tell when it comes to cbm's so I don't mind the reboots as long as it's different.

Just watched Carrie remake, on its own it was an ok watch though it could have been fleshed out more. Can't compare to original since I watched that some 10 years ago and don't remember much about it.

ClydeShebang.png

leo6.gif

#6869 mcgavin27

mcgavin27

twomanjobs.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:36 AM

I was sorely disappointed in the lack of motorcycles one Miami Connection. I do however love the fact that they are all orphans. They just throw it out there and never really touch on it again.

logo.png

#6870 J7.

J7.

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:21 PM

Don't Tell Mom the Babysitters Dead - 3.25/5