Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

• Please log in to reply
8058 replies to this topic

#6991 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:02 PM

The Man of Tai Chi - 3/5 - Once you get past Keanu Reeves' deplorable acting, you find that he can be a pretty decent director. The action and fight choreography is fantastic and worth watching for those factors alone. 

God Bless America - 4/5 - Expertly written and adequately acted by the entire cast. Fun from beginning to end, but maybe a bit too much blatant satirization of modern America to the point that they beat us over the head with the motif. 

Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#6992 ClydeShebang

ClydeShebang

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:33 PM

The Man of Tai Chi - 3/5 - Once you get past Keanu Reeves' deplorable acting, you find that he can be a pretty decent director. The action and fight choreography is fantastic and worth watching for those factors alone. 

God Bless America - 4/5 - Expertly written and adequately acted by the entire cast. Fun from beginning to end, but maybe a bit too much blatant satirization of modern America to the point that they beat us over the head with the motif. 

I haven't seen Man of Tai Chi yet, will do eventually, but I read in an interview somewhere that keanu was going for that kind of style of acting intentionally. Not that it's any excuse if it still comes across really bad. 

ClydeShebang.png

leo6.gif

#6993 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:39 PM

Lego Movie - It was so...so...so...Lego-y. Only had 2 nitpicks.

1) I wanted the DC characters to be voiced by the DCAU/DCU cast. :( Imagine that movie with Kevin Conroy, George Newburn, and Nathan Fillion in it.

2) I wish Bionicle and Technic had background cameos. :( Maybe even those giant figures like the Ben 10 line.

Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit - Actually really enjoyed it. One thing I appreciated was that when the Russians were speaking to each other they actually spoke Russian and not accented English.

#6994 iNCREDiPiNOY

iNCREDiPiNOY

This guy is awesome!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:02 AM

Now You See Me - 3/5 - Bah!

#6995 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:07 AM

The Lego Movie was good, but the last 20 or so minutes being an overly long commercial almost ruined it. Great up until that point though.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#6996 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:57 PM

But the last 20 minutes is pretty much the heart of the movie.

Last Action Hero - Haven't seen this in over a decade. One of Arnie's underrated films.

#6997 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:07 PM

Elysium - 3.5/5

Great visuals, fantastic sound but let down by a hohum story.

Xecutioner
CML

#6998 CarnivalMadness

CarnivalMadness

silent but deadly

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:19 PM

All Is Lost - 3.5/5

Robert Redford does an admirable job in this lost-at-sea drama, and since he is the only actor in it, the whole picture needed to be carried by his performance.  Most of the film has no conversation at all; but sometimes I wish the main character would voice his frustration out loud to himself a little more to let the viewer know whats going on in his head.  The green screen time is sometimes obvious, and some of the troubles seem a little self-manufactured, but overall it's a decent film that provides suspenseful moments and keeps the viewer wondering if they could survive such an ordeal.

#6999 themaster20000

themaster20000

You sleeping yet?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

Last Action Hero - Haven't seen this in over a decade. One of Arnie's underrated films.

Last Action Hero was good until the third act where it just falls apart.The movie is really longer than it should be,and the kid was fucking annoying as all hell on top of the fact he couldn't act to save his live.

#7000 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

You can call it heart, I call it an in your face advertisement saying

Spoiler

Considering the whole movie is pretty much a Lego advertisment I found the end ot be really unnecessary. 

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#7001 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

Well, that IS part of it, but it was more "Legos are for creativity, not just the intended manual." I think you're being a bit too cynical.

The entire point of the story was just a metaphor for
Spoiler

#7002 J7.

J7.

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

American Beauty - 3.75/5

Some things just don't add up, like a super strict father who examines his son's video tapes but not his fridge. That kind of stuff happened more than a few times.

#7003 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:38 PM

Finally watched Usual Suspects cause I had the ending "twist" ruined for me and I didn't care to really watch it.

Good movie but it screams out the answer to the twist the entire time. I would be interested in knowing how many people saw it coming.

Destro1.gif            DestroVega.jpg

#7004 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:02 AM

Finally saw Jacob's Ladder and Jesus fucking Christ God damn.

Posted Image

#7005 thenexus6

thenexus6

more human than human

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:20 AM

the Lego Movie was totally wicked!

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee.
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie

#7006 CarnivalMadness

CarnivalMadness

silent but deadly

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:07 PM

The World's End

I had some moderate expectations coming in, since I like Simon Pegg movies (Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead).  The first third of this sci-fi comedy was pretty great.  Started out as a normal pub crawl reunion of sorts with unresolved issues of the past, with funny, fast and quick-witted dialogue.  Sets up the situation nicely, with a few flashbacks to introduce the characters. 

Then came the middle third with its weird sci-fi twist regarding the residents of the town, making the pub crawl turn into a life or death situation.  I'm OK with it at this point, but it kinda comes out of nowhere.  Movie tells you "Yea, this happened just now, deal with it."  A lot of Nick Frost kicking ass here, lol.

The final third of the movie is a real drag since it doesn't really clean up those issues from the beginning neatly, and the sci-fi portion of it just jumps off the rails altogether by the end.  Forget half-way, they decide to go all-in, baby.

Overall, it was somewhat enjoyable, Pegg has great dialogue, however the rest of the cast was a bit lacking.  I think I would have been happier if the whole sci-fi bit was scrapped and we just had a typical comedy instead.     

TL;DR - Didn't Suck, but leaves you with WTF face. Rating 3/5

#7007 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:44 PM

LA Confidential.

Hadn't seen it in years. Great flick.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#7008 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit - Actually really enjoyed it. One thing I appreciated was that when the Russians were speaking to each other they actually spoke Russian and not accented English.

I saw it last week and thought it was really good. I was disappointed to see it didn't do better at the box office.

I also rented Rush yesterday and while the first act is a little sloppy and difficult to follow the movie is really fantastic.

#7009 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:31 PM

I think the advertising made people think it's a Bourne ripoff when it's more of an anti-Bourne.

#7010 bobo2k4

bobo2k4

OooSplendiforous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:46 PM

Lego movie - Awesome and funny.

Posted Image
Props to Ozzkev for the sig.

#7011 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:04 AM

Rocky III was on tv today before Leverage. Loved it, obviously not as good as Rocky 1 and 2, but Stallone did a fine job with this one. I wish he made more down to earth movies, but these days he's just doing the same type of movies he did in the 90s.

Batsugunner.png

#7012 TooMuchCoolness

TooMuchCoolness

Deep Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:47 AM

The Mechanic - 3/5

NighT_Ryder31.png

#7013 CarnivalMadness

CarnivalMadness

silent but deadly

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:09 AM

White House Down -  Plot doesn't make much sense, but juust enough action to keep it entertaining.  All in all, Olympus Has Fallen did it better.  2.5/5

#7014 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:28 AM

I think the advertising made people think it's a Bourne ripoff when it's more of an anti-Bourne.

It actually felt really similar to Mission Impossible in some ways.

#7015 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:15 AM

Rocky III was on tv today before Leverage. Loved it, obviously not as good as Rocky 1 and 2, but Stallone did a fine job with this one. I wish he made more down to earth movies, but these days he's just doing the same type of movies he did in the 90s.

His penchant for flair goes back to the mid-80's and kinda coincides with the 2nd term of Reagan. A great reflection of times actually and what was going on culturally in the US back then.

The beginning of Cobra is still one of my favorite scenes and totally bonkers.

It actually felt really similar to Mission Impossible in some ways.

Yeah, Jack Ryan is a pencil pusher, but not afraid to jump into the ocean to help a defecting Soviet submarine captain settle in Maine. What I'm really trying to say is that I like Balwin's Jack Ryan more...mostly because of his Sean Connery impersonation.
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#7016 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:47 PM

Thor: Dark World

Not terrible, but pretty damn predictable. Now I get all the talk about the dark elf masks. I wonder how much money they saved on that trick.
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#7017 themaster20000

themaster20000

You sleeping yet?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:17 PM

Stalag 17

The movie that inspired Hogan's Heroes. An excellent blend of comedy and drama,along with great performances.

#7018 lolwhat

lolwhat

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:49 PM

Frozen - 3/5. Great music and pretty cute. Plot and characters seemed pretty empty compared to most Disney films, though.

#7019 Bezerker

Bezerker

Bezerker Barrage!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:39 AM

Watched the Oldboy remake.  While I thought the 1 vs. 50 fightscene was very poorly done compared to the Korean version, they did a pretty great twist for fans of the Korean version. 

3.5/5

538822.png

#7020 ShogunNage

ShogunNage

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:29 AM

A Bittersweet Life- 4/5

for some reason i would have liked if the guy would have given Byung-hun Lee character the phone he dropped. Have to see Masquerade now.