What were some overlooked Gamecube games?

I'm wanting to do a new series on GCN games that were overlooked (well, I guess I'm being redundant since that says it in my title). I've done a previous blog entry like this: http://superphillipcentral.blogspot.com/2009/11/most-overlooked-psp-games-part-two.html

Anyway, I'm looking for titles that didn't sell well, were underrated, or were unappreciated.

I'm thinking:

Geist
Odama
Star Fox Assault
Bomberman Jetters
Ultimate Spider-man
Mega Man X Command Mission
Viewtiful Joe 2
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg

Do you agree with these? Have any more to add?
Thanks!

Having just played Geist, I'm not sure if it was "overlooked" or not. Great concept but poor execution.

I agree with catabarez though - Crystal Chronicles got overlooked by a lot of people because you needed a LOT of hardware to play as intended. Luckily picking up used GBA systems is cheap and easy now, and link cables are also dirt cheap at my local GameStop... If only I could find enough people interested in playing.

Some games that might (or might not) be overlooked in my mind?
1. Metal Arms: Glitch in the System - Really quite enjoyable, but never seemed to get any traction with sales/fanbase.
2. Freedom Fighters - Might deserve to be overlooked because the camera controls are terrible... but the game is very good if you can get past the awkward camera issues.
3. Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy - A friend kept pushing this game on me, that I needed to try it. Well he was right... it was a solid experience and well worth playing (although I never would've picked it up without his urging).

If you have an Xbox, I would recommend Sphinx and Freedom Fighters on that system. Both of those games ran in 720p on Xbox. Both are worth owning.

[quote name='Stryffe2004']If you have an Xbox, I would recommend Sphinx and Freedom Fighters on that system. Both of those games ran in 720p on Xbox. Both are worth owning.[/QUOTE]

Ah, good info... I knew all three games offered 480p on GameCube (if you have the cable), but don't know much about HD games on XBox and couldn't find a convenient list to check.

Metal Arms was also cross platform but GameCube version might be "best" because (according to Wikipedia) PS2 doesn't have 4-player multiplayer and XBox had screen tearing.

(One other note from looking at cross-platform versions on Wikipedia: Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy apparently has a game-breaking bug in the PS2 version. Maybe better to go GameCube or XBox version in that case also.)

Mario Soccer is a great game.
Pikmin
and of course the bongos for DK which was an amazing musical game before the days of rock band

Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg is a great little fun game.

I think chibi robo is overlooked, awesome game. They need to make more sequels to it.

Would you really consider Skies of Arcadia Legends overlooked? I guess maybe some people overlooked it because it was a port.

[quote name='catabarez']don't they? they should work.[/QUOTE]

The bongos do work on Wii if you are playing any original GameCube title that supports them... which is awesome, because the bongos are dirt cheap to buy and make playing the Donkey Konga games and Jungle Beat MUCH better.

I think the complaint is that anyone who bought Donkey Kong Jungle Beat New Play Control for Wii (or DK Barrel Blast) can't use the bongos to control those games.

Viewtiful Joe 1 is much better than 2, and one of my favorite games of all time. As far as I can remember, it's the only game I've ever beat in one sitting (I think my 2nd or 3rd time through) and the music video you unlock after beating the game is Win. VJ2 is not nearly as good.

I also really liked Chibi-robo, I jumped on it back in the day when it dropped to $10 after holding steady at $50 FOREVER! Also kind of short, but really enjoyable.

And I know it's not an "overlooked" title, but Paper Mario is also quite good. And of course you've got your Pikmins and whatnot, but yeah, Viewtiful Joe is a must-buy.

I liked beyond Good and Evil for the GC so much that I also bought it for PC and the PS2 when I heard that it didn't sell well. I also bought several copies as gifts when Circuit City had it's going out of business sale.

Gladius - A FF:Tactics like game with gladiators instead of fantasy characters. Was very good but don't think it sold very well.

Second Sight - I rather enjoyed this game, again don't know if it sold much but it did get some critical acclaim.

Star Fox Assault wasn't that great. The ground combat was terrible whenever you had multiple levels of any kind (plus there was waaaay too many ground levels), the flying was uninspired, and the collision detection (at least in multi) was broken. 64 beats it on so many levels. The only thing redeeming about that game were the graphics, which are quite good.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']Star Fox Assault wasn't that great. The ground combat was terrible whenever you had multiple levels of any kind (plus there was waaaay too many ground levels)[/QUOTE]

I stopped playing during the third level, it was a ground level in which you are timed. fuck that. Flying, it should only ever be flying. Maybe have some ground levels, but 90% of the game needs to be flying only.

[quote name='icedrake523']Assault wasn't great but it was still an enjoyable game for the Star Fox fan. Obviously nothing will ever come close to 64. But it was a real Star Fox game unlike the Zelda ripoff.

The music in Assault was great, too[/QUOTE]

Yeah the music was memorable, but I couldn't get over the different voice actors from 64.

[quote name='bigdaddy']I stopped playing during the third level, it was a ground level in which you are timed. fuck that. Flying, it should only ever be flying. Maybe have some ground levels, but 90% of the game needs to be flying only.[/QUOTE]

There was one ground level where I ran around like an idiot for 10 minutes looking for the objective because according to the marker, I was right there. Turns out I had to go below-ground and had to find a way in.

[quote name='bigdaddy']I stopped playing during the third level, it was a ground level in which you are timed. fuck that. Flying, it should only ever be flying. Maybe have some ground levels, but 90% of the game needs to be flying only.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly when I stopped too. The entire time when I was playing the ground levels I couldn't help but think that if I wanted to play as Fox McCloud on the ground, I would have played Star Fox Adventures. At least Rare nailed it. Namco on the other hand, not so much.

I started replaying Harvest Moon: Magical Melody. Good game, but you get tired way too quickly in the game, it's annoying.

Killer 7.
It's quite an amazing game. I just started a new playthrough and it's still just as engaging as it was when the game was released.

[quote name='Rongod22']Killer 7.
It's quite an amazing game. I just started a new playthrough and it's still just as engaging as it was when the game was released.[/QUOTE]

Disagree; Killer 7 was horrible. It's unfortunate that out of the Capcom 5, the only ones that really were worthwhile was Viewtiful Joe. Others released for the GCN (PN03, Killer 7) were terrible. Okami and God Hand, IMHO, were superb but these were sadly never released on Gamecube. I was happy to see Okami get a 2nd chance on the Wii, though sales figures were pretty awful.

As for overlooked titles on GCN, I'm only listing games that were ONLY released on the GCN. I'm not sure it's worth listing games that were cross-platform since many of those might have been overlooked on the Cube, but were thankfully not on its competition.

- Beach Spikers
- Billy Hatcher & the Giant Egg
- Lost Kingdoms 2
- Pikmin 2
- Wario World (short but one of Treasure's best games -- aside from Ikaruga)
- Ikaruga (a punishing game that's sort of fun but only to a niche group)

Custom Robo anyone? I thought the game was amazing, but then..... that damn 15 minute text cutscene was like "WTH!!?"

How about... Pokemon Channel? Lol, I still wish I had that game in my collection, but I don't.... It may not have much content and may seem stupid, but I liked it. :D

Freaky Flyers, and for some reason , the GameCube version is tremendously less expensive than the PS2 version at Gamestop.

It's quite an amazing game. I just started a new playthrough and it's still just as engaging as it was when the game was released.[/QUOTE]
I agree, I ended up beating it 4 times.

Also, Spongebob: Revenge of the Flying Dutchman was a ridiculously funny game. It may just be because I laugh at booty jokes, though. If you thought that the humor in Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction was funny then you'll most likely like this one.

Love that game. Much better than No More Heroes

Though its far from "overlooked", Animal Crossing for the GameCube is not only a good game in itself ( if you like the genre of course) but also unlocks a whole bunch of classic NES titles. You can either look up the cheat codes, play long enough to unlock them, or do what I did and just buy a memory card from someone on Ebay with everything unlocked. Its probably the only (legal) NES compilation disc that exists. Its not only way less expensive than downloading the games from Nintendo, but even has a feature that will let you temporarily download the game to your Game Boy Advance (using the GBA link cable) for play as long as you keep the power turned on. NES titles downloaded from the Nintendo store now to an SD card won't even play on Wii with a different serial #.

I strongly second Killer7, Beyond Good and Evil, and Eternal Darkness. Viewtiful Joe 1 was fun too.

For a fighting game, Bloody Roar Primal Fury was fun.

bread's done
Back