iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

• Please log in to reply
5046 replies to this topic

#2041 mkernan

mkernan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:11 PM

freeappaday.com app is not a game today, its 'FastMall' (which I've heard good things about). The crappy thing is that according appshopper.com, its been free since dec. 7th.

...and pop-a-tronic (already mentioned) is listed as the OpenFeint freegameoftheday.com game.
Posted Image

#2042 cheezisgoooood

cheezisgoooood

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:45 PM

I'm sorry but Space Miner is awful ... played it for 1/2 an hour tonight and the gameplay is solid but I really really hate the whole hicks in space deal and the music makes me feel like I just popped in Deliverance. I'm going to go against the flow here and say save your money and pick up Plants vs. Zombies. I'm sure there's decent gameplay buried in amongst the hyucking and terrible character art, and I see the potential of upgrading the ship ... but the story part of this 'rpg' is beyond awful. But then ... I hated Firefly too ... So I have my flame shield ready.

You may not like it but I think its five star rating on itunes and generally stellar reviews across the board puts you in the minority on this one. I say get both this and plants vs zombies. Both are terrific games.
Currently playing:
:ps3:Killzone 3, Resistance 3, Sonic Generations, Dark Souls:ps3:
:psp:Valkyria Chronicles II, Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep:psp:
:pc:The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Dead Island:pc:

#2043 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:01 PM

No Dungeon Hunter recommendations for RPGs?

That game is awesome.

seanr1221.png

#2044 cheezisgoooood

cheezisgoooood

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:32 PM

No Dungeon Hunter recommendations for RPGs?

That game is awesome.

I heard it was too short. Is that true?
Currently playing:

#2045 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:33 PM

Short is good for me when I only have about 20 minutes or so to play these games on the train.

seanr1221.png

#2046 mkernan

mkernan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:39 PM

If you're on the fence about Plants vs. Zombie or just don't have any idea what it is, yesterday's episode of App Judgment reviewed it:

http://revision3.com...n_plantszombies

If you've never heard of app judgment:
Spoiler

Also, check out 'Colorbind'. I haven't played it yet, but I heard it mentioned on last night's episode of CO-OP when they were asked what indie iPhone games they'd been playing. The iTunes Store reviews seems really high and its an introductory price of $1 ("for one week only", which would imply that the price goes up tomorrow). I think I might pick it up.

http://itunes.apple....d356126423?mt=8

Just noticed there's a lite version too. Just make sure you buy it today if you like the lite version:

http://itunes.apple....d356127196?mt=8

Edited by mkernan, 24 February 2010 - 04:07 PM.

Posted Image

#2047 etcrane

etcrane

Winter Is Coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:47 PM

1/2 an hour is enough time for me to know I like other games besides Miner far more on my iPhone. Like I said, the game mechanics seem solid but I think the choice of music and characterization is annoying as hell. Every time I return to the station I feel like I'm about to watch an episode of Roseanne (not my ideal feeling while playing a game). Plus I don't put much value in the iTunes reviews, as there have been several truly awful games I've picked up that have had 4 and 5 star reviews. This isn't the worst game I've played by far, but I just find certain aspects of it incredibly grating and wish I'd paid 99 cents or found it free. Just an alternate view on a game that's been mentioned quite a bit lately.

#2048 Felder71

Felder71

I am Iron Gland!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:22 PM

Every time I return to the station I feel like I'm about to watch an episode of Roseanne.

LOL! Might have to make that my sig!
Posted Image

#2049 Hibiwa

Hibiwa

Blue Exorcist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:07 PM

Awww, I wish you'd posted sooner. I didn't want to miss the sale price and bought it last night after all the Space Miner gushing.

Won't be playing it until I update to 3 - and I'm still on the fence about that after reading about people wanting to go back to 2 because of various problems. It's also going to annoy me if I do it now and then have Apple go 4.0 in June and require another payment to update the OS again.

#2050 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:24 PM

Battle for Wesnoth full is down to $1 from $5 one day only.

And I LOVED Space Miner's music and hick motif. :p
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#2051 etcrane

etcrane

Winter Is Coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:01 PM

Well, you might still like Space Miner ... The gameplay is entertaining, it's just little things for me. Let me put it this way, when I'm playing Plants vs. Zombies, it's a smooth enjoyable experience from start to finish, I love everything about it, the graphics, the music, the gameplay ... It just clicks for me ... Kind of like sword and poker. It's like eating a really good ice cream flavor. With Space Miner, it's like I'm eating some really good ice cream and then suddenly I find like a little piece of a sardine in it and I'm like WTF why is there a sardine in this great ice cream ( or banjo in my space game). I can see why the people that have been praising it like it, the game play and system to customize the ship are pretty cool and it seems to have a nice amount of depth. It's just ... It's like when I bought SEED and the graphics were great but I could immediately tell that it was made by someone who didn't quite have a firm grasp on English and you get lines like "oh great sir on this most joyous of days, the sung is most greatly shinning" (to paraphrase) ... I just have a hard time when games don't click with me and little things stand out. But if you really like Asteroid or that type of game, Space Miner might be a great buy ... as long as you like banjos in space and hick uncles. ;)

#2052 etcrane

etcrane

Winter Is Coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:46 PM

Whoa ... Transformers G1: Awakening is set to release tomorrow ... looks sweet

http://wireless.ign..../1070305p1.html

#2053 cheezisgoooood

cheezisgoooood

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:48 PM

Well, you might still like Space Miner ... The gameplay is entertaining, it's just little things for me. Let me put it this way, when I'm playing Plants vs. Zombies, it's a smooth enjoyable experience from start to finish, I love everything about it, the graphics, the music, the gameplay ... It just clicks for me ... Kind of like sword and poker. It's like eating a really good ice cream flavor. With Space Miner, it's like I'm eating some really good ice cream and then suddenly I find like a little piece of a sardine in it and I'm like WTF why is there a sardine in this great ice cream ( or banjo in my space game). I can see why the people that have been praising it like it, the game play and system to customize the ship are pretty cool and it seems to have a nice amount of depth. It's just ... It's like when I bought SEED and the graphics were great but I could immediately tell that it was made by someone who didn't quite have a firm grasp on English and you get lines like "oh great sir on this most joyous of days, the sung is most greatly shinning" (to paraphrase) ... I just have a hard time when games don't click with me and little things stand out. But if you really like Asteroid or that type of game, Space Miner might be a great buy ... as long as you like banjos in space and hick uncles. ;)

I don't mind the banjo music obviously it's to compliment the game's sense of humor, but just to let you know they're releasing an update that lets you play your own music. So at least there's that?
Currently playing:

#2054 etcrane

etcrane

Winter Is Coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:18 PM

I don't mind the banjo music obviously it's to compliment the game's sense of humor, but just to let you know they're releasing an update that lets you play your own music. So at least there's that?

That would help and I don't mean to just be slamming Space Miners, I think I've just fallen more in line with the Nintendo school of game design lately ... basically, if your game is going to have a story and make me read through text bubbles and have characters, make it a damn good story or just don't have much of a story at all and let the game speak for itself (Mario, Zelda ... heck even Metroid to an extent early on)

... but so many of these iphone games that attempt a story mixed in with the core gameplay that doesn't really need a story tend to fail miserably in my eyes. If the gameplay mechanics are solid then I don't need all the text and banter, just let me play the game and let it stand on its own merit. That's why I love Sword & Poker ... it's the type of game that totally could have gone the story route, it has rpg elements to it as well ... but it chose not to add that on at the cost of the overall game and I appreciate that. Sometimes more turns out to be less in the long run and Space Miners is fun ... I've gone back and played a bit more, but I don't feel like the story elements are necessary or, in my case, even wanted.

#2055 Escher0

Escher0

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:03 AM

Also, check out 'Colorbind'. I haven't played it yet, but I heard it mentioned on last night's episode of CO-OP when they were asked what indie iPhone games they'd been playing. The iTunes Store reviews seems really high and its an introductory price of $1 ("for one week only", which would imply that the price goes up tomorrow). I think I might pick it up.

http://itunes.apple....d356126423?mt=8

Just noticed there's a lite version too. Just make sure you buy it today if you like the lite version:

http://itunes.apple....d356127196?mt=8

Gave the lite version a try and it seemed odd but had promise. I bought the full version and it does a much better job slowly ramping up the difficulty. A lot of the patterns you end up making look really neat as well. Definitely worth a buck if you're into these types of puzzles.

#2056 caltab

caltab

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:07 AM

Sometimes more turns out to be less in the long run and Space Miners is fun ... I've gone back and played a bit more, but I don't feel like the story elements are necessary or, in my case, even wanted.

I told ya 30 minutes was too soon to write it off, it gets more and more fun as you get deeper into the rpg elements...as I said, I could care less about the story so I don't judge it either way based on that...based on you liking P vs Z and Sword and Poker I'm surprised you dont love Space Miner(I know they really don't have anything to do with one another, other than the fact I love all 3).

On another topic, I bought minisquadron yesterday for 2.99. It came out a while ago, I think I missed it cause it came out around christmas. It's not on sale or anything, but its an excellent shooter that has 50 plus planes to collect for achieving various scores. I'm sure a lot of you already have it, but if you missed it like me, I highly recommend it...there's a lite version to try too.

#2057 mis0

mis0

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:18 AM

Downloaded Minisquadron when it was free for a day. I picked it up then but never got around to playing it because I didn't upgrade my OS until yesterday. It's really fun and the controls are pretty accurate.

[mis0's tradelist]

#2058 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:43 AM

Just a reminder, Battle For Wesnoth is an IMMENSE value for just $1 today if you like turn based strategy. It's freeware on PC but if you want the bite-sized edition, you best pay up NOW. Just by bulk of content alone $1 is good.

Also, apart from maybe Cybil in Sam and Max Season 1 Ep 1 and Dessie Delite, I can't think of a single adventure game character as absurdly, forthrightly, and unconditionally helpful as that one crazy British countess lady from the hotel in Broken Sword.

#2059 punkmaggit

punkmaggit

Masashi Hamauzu > you

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:21 AM

I'd like to bite on Battle for Wesnoth, but episodic content? Fuck that.

#2060 etcrane

etcrane

Winter Is Coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:29 AM

203 mb for 99 cents tho ... I guess episodic content can mean it's just well supported too? I was willing to take a chance for a buck and if it's awful then I'll just delete it and move on.

#2061 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:33 AM

The main Wesnoth is the full thing, with what appears to be a dozen different campaigns. The separate $1 Wesnoths are just bite sized versions with a single campaign each. I think all the extra Wesnoths are contained in the MAIN Wesnoth.

I can confirm. The MAIN Wesnoth has all the content in the smaller Wesnoths.

Edited by RollingSkull, 25 February 2010 - 01:59 AM.

#2062 mkernan

mkernan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:00 AM

Gave the lite version a try and it seemed odd but had promise. I bought the full version and it does a much better job slowly ramping up the difficulty. A lot of the patterns you end up making look really neat as well. Definitely worth a buck if you're into these types of puzzles.

Yeah, I checked out the lite version and I enjoyed it, but did find it difficult (in a good way). I think I might go ahead and spring the $1 for it before it goes up. Touch Arcade has some impressions:

http://toucharcade.c...wist-your-mind/
Posted Image

#2063 caltab

caltab

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:14 AM

final fantasy 1 and 2 are out now for 8.99 each, they are supposed to be good ports

transformers G1 is also out for 4.99, reviews have been very positive on this tbs

#2064 etcrane

etcrane

Winter Is Coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:21 AM

final fantasy 1 and 2 are out now for 8.99 each, they are supposed to be good ports

transformers G1 is also out for 4.99, reviews have been very positive on this tbs

Where are you seeing those? They aren't appearing in the App store for me currently, I know they're scheduled to drop Thursday but have you actually been able to find them in iTunes?

#2065 iKilledChewbacca

iKilledChewbacca

Trading Time Out (Under Investigation) Do not trade!

• Trading Timeout - Under Review

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:24 AM

Where are you seeing those? They aren't appearing in the App store for me currently, I know they're scheduled to drop Thursday but have you actually been able to find them in iTunes?

I dont see them either but they are suprisingly in the OTHER app store . But I never get games from that store ( not being sarcastic , never do )

#2066 caltab

caltab

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:24 AM

they are out, try using the links at the bottom of the articles on toucharcade.com front page...also for future reference when a game has a release date it usually comes out at 11 pm the night before(est)

http://itunes.apple....d339831441?mt=8
http://itunes.apple....d354972939?mt=8
http://itunes.apple....d354974729?mt=8

#2067 etcrane

etcrane

Winter Is Coming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:30 AM

Cool, thanks! Next question - which Final Fantasy is the ONE to get right away? ;)

After reading the Touch Arcade review, I notice he suggests FF1 first ... but but ... 2 has Chocobos ...

Alright hardcore FF fans, of which I am not one, break it down ... which one is better

#2068 ivanctorres

ivanctorres

Johan is gansta!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:17 AM

Going to bite on Transformers G1! I know boatcrash was gushing about the game.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#2069 Fire_Thief

Fire_Thief

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:26 AM

Just get both FF games... And Zenonia.

#2070 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:50 AM

$8.99? That has to be a cruel joke.