25% off Puzzle Quest: Galactrix for Xbox LIVE

For my money, definitely Gyro.... I spent about two hours with Gyro last night and I felt it was addictive in a way that Galactrix never was. Just so you know, there are some downright horrific design decisions that went into Galactrix.

[quote name='chopper'] I felt it was addictive in a way that Galactrix never was. .[/QUOTE]

As in the same way the original PQ was? Did you play that one?

[quote name='confoosious']As in the same way the original PQ was? Did you play that one?[/QUOTE]

Puzzle Quest is the greatest Bejeweled clone I've ever played. Galactrix was a stellar disappointment. It in no way lived up to its predecessor. Gyromancer is a true credit to the Puzzle Quest formula.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Puzzle Quest is the greatest Bejeweled clone I've ever played. Galactrix was a stellar disappointment. It in no way lived up to its predecessor. Gyromancer is a true credit to the Puzzle Quest formula.[/QUOTE]

I gotta agree (with the Galactrix part at least). It's just boring and the new hex puzzle mechanic makes it far less intuitive to play through. I may not be sold on Gyromancer based on the demo, but it certainly is more entertaining than Galactrix which is one of the most disappointing, ill-advised sequels I've played in a long time.

[quote name='Decker'] I may not be sold on Gyromancer based on the demo, but it certainly is more entertaining than Galactrix which is one of the most disappointing, ill-advised sequels I've played in a long time.[/QUOTE]

I remember when I started playing Galactrix, so excited because it was a sequel to the game I sunk so many hours into. And then...my excitement just fizzled out. The storyline and visuals were just so bland compared to the original game.

I spent another two hours with Gyromancer last night, so I feel like I've got enough experience with the game at this point to say this:

It's extremely fun, it's worth the points, but it's not quite as good as Puzzle Quest.

There are a couple of small problems with Gyromancer that keep it from reaching the heights of PQ. Now, that being said, the game does not even remotely come close to the terrible mess that was Galactrix.

[quote name='chopper']I spent another two hours with Gyromancer last night, so I feel like I've got enough experience with the game at this point to say this:

It's extremely fun, it's worth the points, but it's not quite as good as Puzzle Quest.

There are a couple of small problems with Gyromancer that keep it from reaching the heights of PQ. Now, that being said, the game does not even remotely come close to the terrible mess that was Galactrix.[/QUOTE]

I think when Gyromancer is cheaper I'll jump on it. I really liked PQ's battle mechanics.

[quote name='chopper']I spent another two hours with Gyromancer last night, so I feel like I've got enough experience with the game at this point to say this:

It's extremely fun, it's worth the points, but it's not quite as good as Puzzle Quest.[/QUOTE]

If anything is ever as good as Puzzle Quest, I'll dash out and buy two copies. One, because they deserve it. Two, because I'll be just that darn impressed.

I would steer people far away from Galactrix. I picked up the PC version for $10 when it first came out. I was all jazzed up for the XBLA version but the game is tedious to put it mildly. I'm thankful I bought the PC version because it saved me the MS points. The game mostly consists of you unlocking gates to get to the actual missions/planets. $15 is $15 too much IMO and I certainly wouldn't pay full retail. Even $5 is pushing it. I was really looking forward to a sci-fi themed PQ but this is not the game I was looking for. You'd be better off playing PQ again or buying it, if you haven't already.

[quote name='confoosious']I think when Gyromancer is cheaper I'll jump on it. I really liked PQ's battle mechanics.[/QUOTE]

Make sure you play the demo. Gyromancer, despite it's looks, plays very little like PQ. I was very disappointed in it and it found it far less engaging than PQ.

bread's done
Back