General Old School Gaming Thread - What you playin'

Rodimus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
183 (100%)
Decided to start a General Old School gaming thread just to see how it flys. The GGT ussually focuses on newer games so I tought an outlet for retro gamers might be nice.

Anyways what's everyone playing? Right now I'm playing Ys Book I & II (Turbo Grafix) & Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap (Master System). I got both off the VC.

Ys is a blast. I'm about halfway through the first book. I wish I could've played this when it first came out. Excellent music, nice little animation here & there, and simple but addictive gameplay.

In the past week, I played through Metal Storm (NES) for the second time. I also attempted to play through The Guardian Legend without special weapons using the TGL password, but I forgot about the volcanoes in the later levels. I don't think it's possible to get by some of them without special weapons. I then tried to beat it with special weapons, but couldn't beat the final boss. I'll probably try again later. Call me crazy, but The Guardian legend is still my favorite vertical shooter.

Thanks to the Virtual Console I've been working on the NES version of Final Fantasy. I'm in the midst of the pre-Marsh Cave grind. Only 2-3 hours to go!

I don't know how old school this counts as but I was playing NFL Blitz 2001 on Dreamcast two nights ago. The Chargers are the worst team in any sports game ever in that game. Every time I got tackled (literally, every time), I fumbled the ball.

I bought Resident Evil 2 off the PSN this last week, and I've been playing it like mad over the last few days. The game has aged really well and plays awesome on the PSP.

On another note, this is first time I've played the game since it came out over 11 years ago and I'm loving it just as much as the first time I played through it.

In addition to that, I also picked up some new retro games today, Mega Man X4 & Mega Man 8 on the Saturn for $30 and $40 respectively, and A Boy and His Blob & Little Nemo the Dream Master for $5 a piece. Crossed a lot of high wants off my list today!

MUSHA and Lords Of Thunder on the shmup tip while getting reacquainted with Ogre Battle (hopefully I can finally beat the last map this time). Its kinda sad that the main reason I wanted a Wii was for the VC

[quote name='Rodimus']Doesn't the Saturn version of Mega Man 8 have Cutman & Woodman as optional bosses?[/QUOTE]

Yes it does! That's the main reason I picked it up over the PS1 version since the PS1 didn't have the extra available RAM that the Saturn did to put in the extra bosses.

Haven't really played to much these past two months sadly. I did pick up turtles in time reshelled last week if that counts. Never played any of the tmnt games for the snes, it was a fun little game, though a little too easy.

Over the years I have heard people say Policenauts is a really good game, thinking about hunting down a copy of that some time soon.

Gates of Thunder for PCE is one of the most intense and awesome shmups I've ever played. Died on the last boss again. Also collecting junk and leveling in a Parasite Eve save that's probably 10 years old.

I've been playing Resident Evil Director's Cut. I got it off ebay with the RE2 Demo. I forgot how cheesy the dialogue in first game was. I just gave the STARS member the antidote and he died on me. The game has aged good, even though its like what, 14 years old? Back in the day I remember the characters having mouths. Now they don't. Man, they don't make games like this anymore. "You were almost a Jill Sandwich!" The music really fits the mood though. I played a little bit of Resident Evil: Survivor. It was ok but nothing special. I wonder why Capcom neutered the American version. It has some hilariously bad voice acting too. Like holy shit bad. I posted some videos in my blog that are must watch if you want a good gaming laugh.

I've also been playing Super Metroid. I got stuck early on and haven't played it in a few days though.

Has anyone played Lester the Unlikely on the SNES? I got a complete copy off of ebay for 10 bucks and it has to be one of the worst games I've ever played. The controls are so stiff and the main character just stops moving, shakes his head, and even runs backwards at certain points which is totally annoying. Oddly enough this is one of the features the game touts in the manual. :rofl:

Man, don't remember ever having this much trouble in the 4th stage of MUSHA. Might be a sign of old age or something.

On the flip side, I don't remember Ogre Battle being this easy.

Also, though I'm really glad to be able to play Genghis Khan again, it doesn't live up to my nostalgic memories of playing it in Jr High. Probably should have just skipped it and bought Romance 4 or Uncharted Waters.

I just started playing Loom and The Dig via Steam on my PC. I haven't played them since they came out and I can barely remember the puzzles. I empathize with your problems I'm only middle aged but damn my FPS and puzzle solving skills have been suffering lately.

Super Mario World. New Super Mario Bros. Wii is a fun game and all, but it just makes me want to go back to the true masterwork. :)

[quote name='dan13l858']For some reason i've been playing a lot of Rampart recently.[/QUOTE]

that game rules. Still holds up very well (still the best tower defense game IMO) for being almost 20 years old. Sadly though, I just could never get into the versions that has come out for the consoles. I need a trackball to play it

I have a small backlog of RPGs... Devil Summoner 2, then Ys Oath in Felghana,

but once those two are done, Ima play Magic Knight Rayearth!!

[quote name='JEKKI']I have a small backlog of RPGs... Devil Summoner 2, then Ys Oath in Felghana,

but once those two are done, Ima play Magic Knight Rayearth!![/QUOTE]

Rayearth has been sitting in my closet for a week now, begging me to play. Albert Odyssey has been sitting for a couple months.
Chrono Trigger for SNES has been waiting for like a year now. I'm a bad person.

Pick up an original GB game now and again, found some gems. Kirby Blockball, Jurassic Park 2, Ferrari Challenge, some Japanese Micky Mouse game (was a bit like Castle of Illusion) were all good.

oh yeay, speaking of GB,

I bought Shantae.

for $84.

cart only.

that was weeks ago, I've only played thru like the first real dungeon. I needa put more time into it to justify the amount I spent on it.

I'm playing Donkey Kong ALL THE TIME on my upright (along with hundreds of other old school arcade games on various other machines - mainly 3rd Strike right now). I suck but I'm determined to break 100,000.

Console-wise I'm playing Final Fantasy VII (PSP) and Chrono Trigger (DS). I've also recently played through Zelda, Zelda 2 (totally underrated), Super Punch-Out!!, Super Mario Bros. 2 (JPN) and a ton of others
I love my PSP

Old school games rule.

I like this thread. Recently started up a new game on Super Mario 64. I'm about 20 stars in right now, and it feels great to replay this classic.

A couple weeks ago I played through the Japanese Famicom version of Contra. In case you didn't know it's highly superior to the version we got in the states. There's extra background animation from trees and bushes moving in the wind to snow falling in the snow stage. There's an intro's and ending which tells the story (unfortunatly in Japanese) Before you begin the level you're given a map previewing the stage, kinda like Castlevania. And on completion of the level you're given a nice litle animation of Bill or Lance blazing away with their guns or using radios. The whole experience felt more complete.

Recently I've been getting smashed at the bars and then coming home and playing Super Mario Bros 3. It's amazing because it is so damn hard after 9 beers.

[quote name='JEKKI']oh yeay, speaking of GB,

I bought Shantae.

for $84.

cart only.

that was weeks ago, I've only played thru like the first real dungeon. I needa put more time into it to justify the amount I spent on it.[/QUOTE]

good lord, is it really going for that much? Remember Circuit City clearancing those out at $5.

Also, having to restart Ogre Battle 10 hours into it sucks. Completely forgot to bone up on the characters to recruit and their requirements

[quote name='cappy125']Recently I've been getting smashed at the bars and then coming home and playing Super Mario Bros 3. It's amazing because it is so damn hard after 9 beers.[/QUOTE]

If you like old school gaming and delicious beer I highly recommend you read Games 'N Beer. They review a game and a beer about once a week (getting drunk while playing the game). The Galaga/Bud Light Lime review was right on point. It's a great read.

I'm working on playthroughs on both Little Nemo and A Boy & His Blob.

I completely forgot how hard and unforgiving A Boy & His Blob was. :bomb:

I need to get back into Ys Book I & II. I beat the first chapter. Bah... These new games with flashy lights and 3D graphics are distracting me.

I bought Devil's Crush on the VC (owned it on the T-16) and I can't remember this game being as easy as it was. I remember struggling for a year and a half trying to beat the game but I bought it Friday night and Sunday morning I finally got through it all.

Now I get to buy Alien Crush as I'm curious if it's as easy. Never beat it on the Turbo so who knows. Plus, I always thought Alien Crush was the better game.

Is Alien Crush Returns worth the $8?

Right now I'm fiddling off and on with my old-school standby game, The Guardian Legend on the NES. Y'know, as much "history" as I have with this game, you'd think I'd actually have beaten it at least once... but I don't think I've ever gotten past the 3rd boss or so.

Maybe I should get more serious about that. :lol:

I'm stuck on Wonderboy III. There's a lava part I keep dying at. The controls feel delayed. I wonder if the TG-16 version controls any better?

fired up the duo-r's i just bought on vacation with the copy of dracula x i bought at the same time!!! gotta go back to japan!

I've resumed grinding away at Final Fantasy on the Virtual Console. It is staggering how much harder this version is compared to the later ports. My next task is to head to the Marsh Cave. Unfortunately, my characters are all level 5. They need to be at least 8, preferably 9 to get through that hell hole. At least I found my copy of the Nintendo Power strategy guide. No more blindly buying weapons for me!

About a week and a half ago, I beat Castlevania (NES) for the first time ever. I could never beat it as a kid, so I was surprised that I was able to get through it on my first try. I did have to use 2 continues to get by Frankenstein and Igor, which is where I usually couldn't get past.

I also replayed Zelda II (NES) for the first time in years. It was also a lot easier than I remembered, but I still like it.

As a kid Zelda II was impossible. I would always die at the Death Mountin part where you had to get the hammer and those lizard looking guys with axes ran after you. But when I replayed it as an adult it was much easier. I must've sucked at games at age 7.

I saw a video of Wizard of Wor on Youtube and thought it looked kinda fun, so I dug up the copy of Midway Arcade Treasures 2 (PS2) that I've had sitting around for years, but never opened. I didn't spend much time playing WoW, but did find another game in the collection, Wacko, to be pretty good. I'll probably try Xybots tomorrow. I've never played the arcade version, but I liked the Lynx version.

been playing Actraiser. Could never beat the section of the map where it is filled with desert but I did just that yesterday. It's been 14 years since I last played it and it felt so good to finally beat that section. Now if only the volcano wasn't kicking my ass

Castlevania ReBirth.... buy it.

Also I'm still trucking along with Shenmue II.

sailors2.jpg

Recent retro gaming...

N64...
Jet Force Gemini
Goldeneye 007
Star Wars Rogue Squadron

Dreamcast...
The demo playing Dead or Alive 2

I played some Ghosts N' Goblins the other day. I realized that one of the hardest/worst things about those games is stumbling onto one of the terrible weapons (hello torch!) and dying over and over again because you no longer have the ability to fend off your enemies.

N64: Just recently played Pokemon Stadium 2, and Pokemon Puzzle League with the family. It was fun. :D

Hope to play Banjo and Kazooie tomorrow though.

Not too oldschool but I've been playing the GBA Metroid games. Beat Zero Mission a week ago and picked up Fusion for $5 at GS. It's funny, I'm finally getting use out of my DS with some old GBA games.

Currently looking for Breath of Fire II on the GBA. Can't find it at any of my local Gamestops. Might have to get this online.

[quote name='Rodimus']Currently looking for Breath of Fire II on the GBA. Can't find it at any of my local Gamestops. Might have to get this online.[/QUOTE]

I just finished the first Breath of Fire GBA game about a week ago, great story! Too bad it took me about six months to play through :shock: Might break out BoF II one of these days - I never played these back in the day, even though I have the Playstation games.

Any thoughts on which BoF game is better?

EDIT:

Those Metroid GBA games are phenomenal. I almost want to play through them again rather than start anything new.

I think BoFIII is the most popular, but I can't really say it's the best, since it's the only one I ever beat. I only played a few hours of BoFIV and it was good. I'd really like to play through it one day. I always hear good things about BoFII. I was thinking about getting it off the VC but I figured I'd enjoy it more in portable form.

The Metroid GBA games really are great. I like the Prime series, but I wish they'd go back to the orginal sidescrolling formula again.

[quote name='Rodimus']I think BoFIII is the most popular, but I can't really say it's the best, since it's the only one I ever beat. I only played a few hours of BoFIV and it was good. I'd really like to play through it one day. I always hear good things about BoFII. I was thinking about getting it off the VC but I figured I'd enjoy it more in portable form.

The Metroid GBA games really are great. I like the Prime series, but I wish they'd go back to the orginal sidescrolling formula again.[/QUOTE]

I'll have to break out BoF II on the GBA, I would like to see what else they did w/ the story after the first one. I'd like to play all of them, but between work and everything else I spend time doing, I don't dedicate much time to playing videogames - which is why it took me six-ish months to finish the first BoF.

Super Metroid is easily one of my all-time favorite games, one of the few I've played through more than once. It would be great if Nintendo came out with an updated side-scrolling Metroid for the Wii, but since they already did the Prime series on the GC and now Wii, I can't see them doing it now.

Breath of Fire seems to be the only RPG series that gets better with every installment. I didn't care much for the first one, but I thought Dragon Quarter was fantastic. 3 and 4 are pretty good too. I've never played the second one though. I know I'm in the minority here, as most fans of the series don't seem to like Dragon Quarter very much.

I've been playing a lot of SNES lately. I'm replaying Secret of Mana and F-Zero. I never get tired of these games. I also started Live A Live, a Japanese RPG. I started with the prehistoric scenario since it doesn't have any dialogue to worry about. I finished it a couple weeks ago and haven't attempted any of the other scenarios.

I'm also playing Panzer Dragoon Saga for the first time. I'm kinda disappointed so far. The battle system is neat, but the battles are too easy. The story is pretty dull too. Maybe I need to give it a bit more time.

bread's done
Back