ECA: Hal Halpin's Latest Statement: Changes are Coming

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3992 replies to this topic

#931 Haggar

Haggar

Mayor of Metro City

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:20 AM

Sadly, no. My thread title was "Sticky: how to cancel auto-renewal of your membership", and then a blank message showing my signature, http://i83.photobuck...eyA/ECAJizz.png

My forum account says:
You have been banned for the following reason:
Penis pictures are not helpful

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

Sadly, my main account seems to be open.

Posted Image

#932 Reira

Reira

Counting down to Sailor Moon Crystal

• CAGiversary!

I see most of the thread tags have been deleted...Too bad, they were entertaining.

Also still waiting for Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney...

#933 Muthafodder

Muthafodder

I was going to compile a list of all of the sponsors and the associated contact info...I got to the second one and decided I have no time for this...maybe someone else with time on their hand could compile a list of email addresses so that we could email all of the sponsors at once.

Here's my contrbution:

Astro Gaming
348 6th Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
Phone:

(415) 354-6300

BringIt.com

support@bringit.com

#934 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:21 AM

I just don't understand why people are giving ECA a pass. If I can sign up online, I should damn well be able to cancel online. They should set up an e-mail address. What kind of ass-ignorant online site uses snailmail to handle acounts? It's like being told you need to buy a USB abacus to use Excel.

#935 SadPanda99

SadPanda99

I hate know it alls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:22 AM

So has everyone read Hal Halpin's response yet. He actually insinuates that ppl who complained to their own banks about deceptive practices are now being investigated for fraud themselves. Specifically for the crime of opening, multiple accounts to obtain the single use codes. The rebuttal is on joystiq.com

http://www.joystiq.c...sles/#continued
Posted Image

PM me to trade for EA PGA 11, MMA, Shift 2 Season Passes

#936 Apostle22

Apostle22

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:23 AM

I'm glad I never signed up with these jokers.....You never get something for nothing.....What I find totally ironic is not to long ago there was a thread where people were using codes to sign up for free eca membership.......Everyone thought they were screwing the ECA.....turns out, the ECA was screwing you......

apostle22.jpg

Dangerboy.png

#937 LonelyController

LonelyController

lonelycontroller.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:24 AM

Posted Image

Thanks, Haggar. My damn penis is always spamming something...

#938 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Watch everybody cancel and they roll out a 20% Amazon discount. Doh!

#939 Deadpool

Deadpool

I club baby seals

• CAGiversary!

What a load of crap. I can't believe I gave these jokers my CC info and only got one lousy Amazon code out of it!

At least you got 1 code... :cry:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#940 icedrake523

icedrake523

Good News Everyone!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:25 AM

I just don't understand why people are giving ECA a pass. If I can sign up online, I should damn well be able to cancel online. They should set up an e-mail address. What kind of ass-ignorant online site uses snailmail to handle acounts? It's like being told you need to buy a USB abacus to use Excel.

I don't have a problem with no email method for cancellation. But having to do it through snail mail is insane. I canceled my ESPN subscription on the phone. There's no logical reason to use snail mail other than they can just throw it away and claim it never happened and keep taking your money.

#941 Unrealevil

Unrealevil

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:25 AM

So has everyone read Hal Halpin's response yet. He actually insinuates that ppl who complained to their own banks about deceptive practices are now being investigated for fraud themselves. Specifically for the crime of opening, multiple accounts to obtain the single use codes. The rebuttal is on joystiq.com

http://www.joystiq.c...sles/#continued

I was about to post it from their site.

http://gamepolitics....2/eca-statement

TLDR: "If you complain, you must be a criminal!"

Posted Image

no sorry don't want you masturbating to my girlfriend while you play wow and eat hot pockets.

#942 NinjaPenguin777

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:27 AM

Legally they are NOT allowed to charge a new card for a service like this since we already paid for it. As long as it is a new number we are fine, but we will still get these scumbags taken down anyway.

Formerly known as slickkill77

#943 Starbuccaneers

Starbuccaneers

Coffee House

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:32 AM

Thanks for posting this, I wouldn't have known this since I only really read the deals forum. Looks like it's going to be a painful process in order to cancel my account.

Spoiler

#944 bballsports

bballsports

fine like this

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:33 AM

What should be written in the cancellation letter?
*holds up rag*
Does this smell like chloroform?:whee:

#945 Afflicted

Afflicted

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:34 AM

easiest thing I think is just requesting a new card from your CC company/bank and canceling the old number

#946 caltab

caltab

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:34 AM

people have asked all day in their forums what to write, the mods have been banning people and locking threads left and right, but have yet to answer that question.

#947 choral_music

choral_music

Ready for Steam Box

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:35 AM

From Gypsyfly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by choral_music Posted Image
Maybe you can help us.

1. What specific information should we include in a cancellation request to ensure approval?

2. What form of cancellation confirmation would I receive upon cancellation of my membership?

(Answer)
1. I'm waiting for an answer on that now...I just got home from class.
2. I was told you get a letter back confirming that they have canceled your account.

http://forums.theeca...52&postcount=12

Edited by choral_music, 03 December 2009 - 12:36 AM.
Added link.

#948 rinaka

rinaka

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:36 AM

Heh, this whole situation sucks. If they won't resolve any of it soon I guess I'll be forced to change my credit card number. I refuse to waste my time and money writing some dumb letters to amuse them, while they may not even work.

#949 monstericreated

monstericreated

merkin' snitches

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:38 AM

The statement issued does not address the situation at all and punishes everyone because of the "exploiters." I still don't see how people canceling and renewing membership costs them SO MUCH TIME AND MONEY seeing as how you can't get a refund once you've paid...
Posted Image

Grateful for female avatar codes to beef up my wardrobe! :bouncy:

#950 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:39 AM

people have asked all day in their forums what to write, the mods have been banning people and locking threads left and right, but have yet to answer that question.

Well my thread is still up with the question in it and not locked so here is to hoping they actually answer it rather than lock it.

#951 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Hmmm... maybe i should try to get banned from their forums. I forget if I have an account or not though.

#952 Halo05

Halo05

What's weird is that this is an organization built around the internet, gaming, computers, technology and the like. They should know how *we* get.

Shit, in 2007, 2K had to manufacture umpteen hundred new Big Daddy figures and art books because people were getting their Bioshock figures with a finger broken off or some such thing. Atlus is busy printing up new strategy guides for Demon's Souls. The examples go on and on.

Someone there should have seen the shitstorm coming. You don't try to Fuck over an internet full of nerds and get away with it.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#953 anarch

anarch

And all that could have been...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:40 AM

Just for asking that? The ECA is digging their own grave.

#954 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:41 AM

"Cancel my shit or I'm going to drive out there and stomp a mudhole in your ass."

#955 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

The electronics of your heart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:41 AM

I like how even though the ECA is transparently in the wrong here, and Halpin's latest missive wasn't even intenally consistent, much less consistent with their other statements, the blogs like Kotaku are still basically just regurgitating their PR and trying to look at "their side of the story."

card.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#956 bballsports

bballsports

fine like this

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:42 AM

Well my thread is still up with the question in it and not locked so here is to hoping they actually answer it rather than lock it.

Could you post a link?
*holds up rag*
Does this smell like chloroform?:whee:

#957 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:43 AM

What's weird is that this is an organization built around the internet, gaming, computers, technology and the like. They should know how *we* get.

Shit, in 2007, 2K had to manufacture umpteen hundred new Big Daddy figures and art books because people were getting their Bioshock figures with a finger broken off or some such thing. Atlus is busy printing up new strategy guides for Demon's Souls. The examples go on and on.

Someone there should have seen the shitstorm coming. You don't try to Fuck over an internet full of nerds and get away with it.

Also the fact that out of any group, we are the ones that can probably hack websites.

#958 WTFer

WTFer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:44 AM

Not sure if anyone mentioned this before, but even if you cancel your credit card that you used to sign up, but don't bother to cancel, they can report you as delinquent & send debt creditors after you.

#959 Raymond

Raymond

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Just for asking that? The ECA is digging their own grave.

Apparently, asking the same questions that has already been answered will also get you ban.

ECA Board mod GamesLaw said the following:

"Posting threads that have already been answered here will simply result in you being banned, without further warning.

Now is not a good day to test my patience."

Sounds to me like they're just trying to shut people up.

#960 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Could you post a link?

http://forums.theeca...read.php?t=7093

I had to enter it into the 2nd post just so i would not get a locked thread immediatly and the mess with the mods a bit :D