Feedback
180 (100%)
Tomb Raider: Underworld for $7.49 (75% off) until Monday

underworld_spotlight.jpg

Steam Demo
Fileshack Demo
Metacritic Link (80)

I hate when I miss out on these great deals :bomb:
Oh well, it was a gift for a friend and he played that game nonstop until he beat it :D.

I played the first level on PS3. How does the PC version compare. I mean 7.50 is a great price so I probably will pick it up. I just wanted to get a feel for the pc gameplay. I prefer pc over console usually anyways.

Just keep in mind the Xbox 360 version is the only one that has the extra DLC. That includes story stuff and also a bunch of outfit packs.

[quote name='msu89dawgs']Steam is nickel and diming me to death...[/QUOTE]
Same here. I'm fighting aggressively not to take this deal. I know there will be more deals in the coming days, so I'm trying not to overspend too soon.

That's a good deal but I already have it :p

Word to the wise - I think you need a semi-beefy system to run it at all well. Or at least, you did. They might have patched some of the graphics issues (I know when I first got it about a year ago, the game was neigh unplayable on my Geforce 7800GS, but I *think* that was due to some bugs specific to their handling of certain cards). There's a demo over there if you aren't sure.

Fun game though, I really need to beat it sometime.

It's a real shame that Eidos axed Crystal Dynamics after this though. I honestly thought they did a decent job of making Tomb Raider not suck anymore (especially this and Anniversary seemed to incorporate a lot of "lessons learned" from a few flaws in Legend). Granted, they are owned by Square now so there you go :p

[quote name='Warlock82']That's a good deal but I already have it :p

Word to the wise - I think you need a semi-beefy system to run it at all well. Or at least, you did. They might have patched some of the graphics issues (I know when I first got it about a year ago, the game was neigh unplayable on my Geforce 7800GS, but I *think* that was due to some bugs specific to their handling of certain cards). There's a demo over there if you aren't sure.

Fun game though, I really need to beat it sometime.

It's a real shame that Eidos axed Crystal Dynamics after this though. I honestly thought they did a decent job of making Tomb Raider not suck anymore (especially this and Anniversary seemed to incorporate a lot of "lessons learned" from a few flaws in Legend). Granted, they are owned by Square now so there you go :p[/QUOTE]

Yeah, tomb raider games have been really good lately.

Played the demo and decided to pick it up. Steam knows how to get into my wallet. Games for the price of a fast food combo.

[quote name='eastx']Cool! I got Anniversary when Steam put it on sale for $5 last year. $7.49 is fair for a newer game.[/QUOTE]

I got Anniversary on sale for $5 on Steam as well (april this year) and it was a great purchase as I found the game quite good. After beating it my top wishlist games for the Steam holiday sale this year were actually Underworld and Legend, so I'm all over this deal!

RollingSkull,

I actually agree. The 'male' version of Tomb Raider -Uncharted- has better game mechanics but Tomb Raider was a pioneer at least in the early PS One days.

i think im gonna grab it from newegg. 8 bucks is a sweet deal ive always wanted to try this game. nice post!

I wonder when Steam will have a Tomb Raider pack with all 3 of the new Tomb Raider games. I would dig that if it went on a decent sale.

[quote name='Warlock82']\
\[/QUOTE]

You mean a non-ancient video card? Of course; the game came out within the last 2 years. It's not going to run on netbooks. :p

Logan Decker (of PC Gamer) brings this game up fairly frequently on the podcast. It might be time to finally check it out.

[quote name='unholy']$7.99 and free shipping from NewEgg (for those who prefer physical media).[/QUOTE]

It's not the physical media most of us would care about, it's the lack of activation.

Thought I'd throw my 2¢ in about the game though...

I'm a HUGE fan of Tomb Raider: Legend, the game that this is the sequel to. It was easily my favorite game of 2006. Awesome gameplay and story...

But I don't like this. Bought it at launch last year, and didn't get all that far. I never really had fun. Starts in an underwater area that's no fun at all IMO, and just never really gets better from there.

[quote name='aosora13']RollingSkull,

I actually agree. The 'male' version of Tomb Raider -Uncharted- has better game mechanics but Tomb Raider was a pioneer at least in the early PS One days.[/QUOTE]

I really don't think they're the same genre, at least not Uncharted 1 (haven't played the second one yet). I assumed they were before playing it, but was really shocked that Uncharted 1 is a shooter. It's far, far, far more Gears of War or Quake or whatever than it is Tomb Raider. I wouldn't even call it a hybrid. personally.

And I liked Legend WAY more than Uncharted 1, but since I could actually finish Uncharted, I guess I liked it more than this game :whistle2:/

[quote name='eastx']You mean a non-ancient video card? Of course; the game came out within the last 2 years. It's not going to run on netbooks. :p[/QUOTE]

That card was only about a year old when the game came out. Hardly ancient. At the time I didn't have a choice though - my old motherboard only supported AGP, and most video cards moved on to PCIe.

[quote name='Warlock82']That card was only about a year old when the game came out. Hardly ancient. At the time I didn't have a choice though - my old motherboard only supported AGP, and most video cards moved on to PCIe.[/QUOTE]

Aww, I hear ya. It's frustrating when you're limited by the motherboard.

I hadn't heard about that 7800GS. Not bad for the time. Looks like it's probably roughly 2/3 as good as this gen's console GPUs are (actually would have the same fill rate if not more than the consoles though).

I'd love to be able to throw in a semi-modern GPU that could run Folding @ Home into this AGP system I have on my desk (that's otherwise unused), but I don't think there's any current gen GPUs for AGP :whistle2:/

[quote name='eastx']Aww, I hear ya. It's frustrating when you're limited by the motherboard.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, as far as I was aware (and this may have changed since then), it was the last card to support AGP. So I was sort of stuck.

That's why I upgraded my MB last year though. Now I have a Geforce GTX 280 which is great (everything runs silky smooth at max settings, it's nice!)

[quote name='Wolfpup']But I don't like this. Bought it at launch last year, and didn't get all that far. I never really had fun. Starts in an underwater area that's no fun at all IMO, and just never really gets better from there.[/quote]

From seeing it, it opens with an underwater segment and then gives you a motorcycle. Underwater AND vehicles? Why those segments are never the worst parts of any video game!

[quote name='Wolfpup'] I really don't think they're the same genre, at least not Uncharted 1 (haven't played the second one yet). I assumed they were before playing it, but was really shocked that Uncharted 1 is a shooter. It's far, far, far more Gears of War or Quake or whatever than it is Tomb Raider. I wouldn't even call it a hybrid. personally.

And I liked Legend WAY more than Uncharted 1, but since I could actually finish Uncharted, I guess I liked it more than this game :whistle2:/[/QUOTE]

Disagree with you there. Both are filled with the same ledge climbing, platforming goodness of the TR:L style. Uncharted, and especially Uncharted 2, do a fantastic job of integrating the climbing with the shooting, whereas TR just has shooting being a lock-on and jump around like an idiot minigame.

bread's done
Back