Steam Weekend Deal - Tomb Raider Underworld 75% Off

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:16 PM

$7.99 and free shipping from NewEgg (for those who prefer physical media).

It's not the physical media most of us would care about, it's the lack of activation.

Thought I'd throw my 2¢ in about the game though...

I'm a HUGE fan of Tomb Raider: Legend, the game that this is the sequel to. It was easily my favorite game of 2006. Awesome gameplay and story...

But I don't like this. Bought it at launch last year, and didn't get all that far. I never really had fun. Starts in an underwater area that's no fun at all IMO, and just never really gets better from there.

RollingSkull,

I actually agree. The 'male' version of Tomb Raider -Uncharted- has better game mechanics but Tomb Raider was a pioneer at least in the early PS One days.

I really don't think they're the same genre, at least not Uncharted 1 (haven't played the second one yet). I assumed they were before playing it, but was really shocked that Uncharted 1 is a shooter. It's far, far, far more Gears of War or Quake or whatever than it is Tomb Raider. I wouldn't even call it a hybrid. personally.

And I liked Legend WAY more than Uncharted 1, but since I could actually finish Uncharted, I guess I liked it more than this game :-/
Please help cure diseases like cancer and Parkinson's by running Folding @ Home! :)
Recent games, Netflix Scale:
[LIST]

Posted Image

#32 Warlock82

Warlock82

Never pet a burning dog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:00 PM

You mean a non-ancient video card? Of course; the game came out within the last 2 years. It's not going to run on netbooks. :P

That card was only about a year old when the game came out. Hardly ancient. At the time I didn't have a choice though - my old motherboard only supported AGP, and most video cards moved on to PCIe.

Posted Image

#33 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:18 PM

That card was only about a year old when the game came out. Hardly ancient. At the time I didn't have a choice though - my old motherboard only supported AGP, and most video cards moved on to PCIe.

Aww, I hear ya. It's frustrating when you're limited by the motherboard.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#34 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:30 PM

I hadn't heard about that 7800GS. Not bad for the time. Looks like it's probably roughly 2/3 as good as this gen's console GPUs are (actually would have the same fill rate if not more than the consoles though).

I'd love to be able to throw in a semi-modern GPU that could run Folding @ Home into this AGP system I have on my desk (that's otherwise unused), but I don't think there's any current gen GPUs for AGP :-/
Please help cure diseases like cancer and Parkinson's by running Folding @ Home! :)
Recent games, Netflix Scale:
[LIST]

Posted Image

#35 Warlock82

Warlock82

Never pet a burning dog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:40 PM

Aww, I hear ya. It's frustrating when you're limited by the motherboard.

Yeah, as far as I was aware (and this may have changed since then), it was the last card to support AGP. So I was sort of stuck.

That's why I upgraded my MB last year though. Now I have a Geforce GTX 280 which is great (everything runs silky smooth at max settings, it's nice!)

Posted Image

#36 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:27 PM

But I don't like this. Bought it at launch last year, and didn't get all that far. I never really had fun. Starts in an underwater area that's no fun at all IMO, and just never really gets better from there.

From seeing it, it opens with an underwater segment and then gives you a motorcycle. Underwater AND vehicles? Why those segments are never the worst parts of any video game!

I really don't think they're the same genre, at least not Uncharted 1 (haven't played the second one yet). I assumed they were before playing it, but was really shocked that Uncharted 1 is a shooter. It's far, far, far more Gears of War or Quake or whatever than it is Tomb Raider. I wouldn't even call it a hybrid. personally.

And I liked Legend WAY more than Uncharted 1, but since I could actually finish Uncharted, I guess I liked it more than this game :-/

Disagree with you there. Both are filled with the same ledge climbing, platforming goodness of the TR:L style. Uncharted, and especially Uncharted 2, do a fantastic job of integrating the climbing with the shooting, whereas TR just has shooting being a lock-on and jump around like an idiot minigame.
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.