Photo
- - - - -

GameFly Daily Deals: Afro Samurai & Fuel $10, Wheelman $13, Ghostbusters $20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
206 replies to this topic

#61 PopCall

PopCall

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:21 PM

Just because some reviewers said Afro Samurai is a bad game doesn't make it so either. Their opinions are no more valid than the opinion of the average gamer as far as I'm concerned. In fact, Gamespy insisted that certain ropes in the game could not be cut when nobody else had a problem with them. Anyway, being a big hack and slash fan, I paid $60 for the game on release date and will admit there wasn't enough content to justify that price. However, for $10 I think it's a very worthy purchase.

Wheelman is also worth the $13 to me. I played the demo, enjoyed it and still picked up the game for $30 even though it was crucified by nearly every review. I was not disappointed. If you can look past some subpar graphics, a pretty much nonsensical story and like open world games, you will get your $13 out of Wheelman.

People don't become reviewers just because they are able to pick up a controller. There's criticism and evaluation involved, they are hired and maintained as reviewers due to their ability to understand the market - well, if they're not just selling us product purely.

#62 mikejenks

mikejenks

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:40 PM

People don't become reviewers just because they are able to pick up a controller. There's criticism and evaluation involved, they are hired and maintained as reviewers due to their ability to understand the market - well, if they're not just selling us product purely.

Do you actually read video game reviews online? It's like reading consumer reports, if their entire writing and editing staff had down syndrome.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#63 odintal

odintal

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:47 PM

I rented Afro Samurai a bit ago and thought it was ok.

One section pissed me off pretty good involving cutting a rope that seemed to be made of steel. I must have hacked at that thing with focus mode for like 15 minutes straight before it finally registered.
Then I found out you had to do it 3 more times...

My brain is trying to kill me.

#64 jkimrey

jkimrey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:06 AM

Not going to scream and yell at you man, but for those of us who have family living with DS, that's not a very nice (or mature) analysis to make.

I understand sometimes we post without thinking; I'm just responding in hopes that the next time you WILL think, at least in regards to this.

Again, not ranting, just a friendly reply.

Back to on topic - I was really looking forward to Fuel when it was released, but after hearing all the horrid reviews, I passed.

The reviews were SO bad, that I'm not even sure about the $10 price point... Decision, decisions. :)

Do you actually read video game reviews online? It's like reading consumer reports, if their entire writing and editing staff had down syndrome.

#65 Casteor

Casteor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:38 AM

Fuel doesn't even look good at all if you watch gameplay. Play it yourself and it's 10x worst.
"A dreamcatcher works, if your dream is to be gay."

-Demetri Martin

#66 cooljammer00

cooljammer00

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:45 AM

You have to admit though, reviewers at least put on a veneer of journalistic integrity (most of the time), as opposed to message boards full of fanboys.

#67 hosslogan

hosslogan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:56 AM

Are there deals coming up tonight as well.

#68 porieux

porieux

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:00 AM

Ah to be young and naive again :D

#69 hosslogan

hosslogan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:03 AM

I thought Afro Samurai was decent, but I got to a boss, ( Kuma, a big bear thing) and just couldn't beat him. Although, I'm not the best hack n' slash guy, so many others may not run into the same trouble. I would really love to finish it, but I end up getting frustrated and I must quit to prevent myself from destroying the game.

#70 clockworkgreen

clockworkgreen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:05 AM

I wouldn't just pick a review here and there, but that's the whole point of a site like MetaCritic. It finds the average across the board.

#71 i_bent_my_wookie

i_bent_my_wookie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:15 AM

Are there deals coming up tonight as well.

The OP says that the deals will resume on Sunday night. So no new deals tonight or tomorrow. Hopefully next week will bring some good deals.

#72 Shimrra

Shimrra

Hello Ladies !!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:07 AM

The OP says that the deals will resume on Sunday night. So no new deals tonight or tomorrow. Hopefully next week will bring some good deals.

Posted Image

A beautiful 35-year-old ain’t as as good lookin’ as an ugly 19-year-old. Women expect us to like them but they don’t even like each other” Patrice O’neal

Shimrra74.png2rfy52g.jpg

#73 PopCall

PopCall

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:17 AM

Gross generalization. Let me know when you're a writer then since it is so easily accomplished. And in your sig you are playing Lego Rock Band, case closed!

#74 PopCall

PopCall

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:18 AM

Ah to be young and naive again :D

Uhm, I'm not young, smiley face or not your statement is annoying. Who's opinion do you suggest I take on games, some blowhards or someone who is paid to make judgments? I use Metacritic all the time and ignore customer reviews and random message board statements (as they are mostly younger and aren't representative of my age group and our taste for gaming)

#75 Feral Lynx

Feral Lynx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:34 AM

Well, in my opin- wait.. what is this?

Dang. Thanks Killbomb! Maybe Feral won't dish out his awesome opinions anymore!

My point still stands about wasting money on mediocre games. Maybe next time, you'll actually have an opinion (and a good reason to use the phrase "in my opinion), instead of criticizing others for having one. :booty:

#76 noisome07

noisome07

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:41 AM

My point still stands about wasting money on mediocre games. Maybe next time, you'll actually have an opinion (and a good reason to use the phrase "in my opinion), instead of criticizing others for having one. :booty:

Only criticizing you over your lame opinion based on REVIEWS and not word of mouth. Please, just stop.. it's only making yourself look worse.

#77 Feral Lynx

Feral Lynx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:53 AM

Only criticizing you over your lame opinion based on REVIEWS and not word of mouth. Please, just stop.. it's only making yourself look worse.

You should research the definitions, and synonyms for the word "noisome". Your name suits you well :D.

#78 sandman8288

sandman8288

DealMaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:02 AM

Posted Image

Thank you....I just found my new avatar.

#79 Feral Lynx

Feral Lynx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:10 AM

Uhm, I'm not young, smiley face or not your statement is annoying. Who's opinion do you suggest I take on games, some blowhards or someone who is paid to make judgments? I use Metacritic all the time and ignore customer reviews and random message board statements (as they are mostly younger and aren't representative of my age group and our taste for gaming)

Same here. I hold industry reviews on a higher standard than customer reviews, simply because professional reviewers are held accountable to provide unbiased opinions on video games. Now, are all professional reviewers without bias? Of course not. But, the majority of them tend to do their jobs very well, and I find that they're much better at articulating their view-points than most of the Joe-shlubs, and pre-teens who plague the message boards, and product reviews.

#80 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:39 AM

Same here. I hold industry reviews on a higher standard than customer reviews, simply because professional reviewers are held accountable to provide unbiased opinions on video games. Now, are all professional reviewers without bias? Of course not. But, the majority of them tend to do their jobs very well, and I find that they're much better at articulating their view-points than most of the Joe-shlubs, and pre-teens who plague the message boards, and product reviews.

I prefer to go by a mix of pro reviews and those 'Joe-shlubs', since those Joe-shlubs aren't being paid to give the games a good mark or not usually.

Thing is, the best way to determine if you're going to like a game or not....is to play it yourself. I've done that with multiple titles, usually after they reach a cheap price that I can't say no to(such as some of these 'daily deals').

For $5-10 I'll try ANY game, but once you're crossing that boundary into the realm of $15 for a game, then I tend to shy away and back off.

FYI, I've totally hated games that both reviewers and those 'shlubs' raved about(Jade Empire, Knights Of The Old Republic, etc)and I've loved games that some people felt were horrible(none come to mind right now).

So again, the best person to determine if you'll like a game or not....is YOU. If you have the patience and can wait till a game drops to under $15, then what do you have to lose but a little time while trying out what may be a game you really enjoy.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#81 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:57 AM

While that is true they are able to articulate their views it in no way changes the fact that a reviewer can not review without bias. A review is in many ways, their bias. I mean this isn't subject like abortion or health care where there are two sides (or more). If they like a game then it will receive a higher score even if it is an awful game (not to say a craptastic game will get a 10 even if they like it).

The only real difference between an average joe and a pro reviewer is the ability to articulate or express their views on the game for the most part (i know many an average joe that does wonderful jobs. Reviewers Legion on Gamespot.com for example, their leader is amazing and no I am not saying that because i am a member, but because i have read his reviews.

To me though there is only one good thing about reviews in general. They can show consistent scores (metacritic) and inform people on what the game offers (not whether what it offers is good or not). Because everything else is up to the person to decide on their own. I have disliked plenty of games that are regarded as amazing. No matter if a average joe or pro reviewer says otherwise. So i wouldn't say pro reviewers show unbiased views because in reality that is exactly what they are showing.

Damn that was a lot of typing..... i need to stop doing that...

#82 41down

41down

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:05 AM

so no new "daily" deals for today?

#83 chrisswiss83

chrisswiss83

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:06 AM

At $10 you can get the game, give it a shot, and if you don't like it you can sell it on eBay or something if you're willing to put in that extra 10 minutes. You'd probably make at least half of your money back, making it a pretty decent rental price. And hell, you might even want to keep the game. Unfortunately you can't get any of that wasted time back, though. I'm taking a pass on Afro Samurai myself. My shelves are looking a little more cluttered for some reason lately...

As for the subject of reviews, I prefer listening to podcasts with game reviewers and average Joe gamers talking about the game. I can't stomach the multi-page reviews of some websites, and I prefer hearing how hyped a reviewer/gamer is about a game to get a good sense of whether or not I'd like it. Generally if the game sounds interesting, and at least one person I like has enjoyed the game, it's probably worth a little of my time and money.

#84 Zen Rukasu

Zen Rukasu

Yo No Comprendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:17 AM

Geez, this is what freaking demos are for.(not really)played Fuel and Afro Samurai demos and the reasons I didn't like either was because of similar reasons most people didn't like the full games. Afro Samurai had technical issues while Fuel wasn't much beyond the freeroam.

#85 jkimrey

jkimrey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:47 PM

Any distinctive advantages of Fuel on one system over the other (360/PS3)?

#86 IronSerif

IronSerif

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 02:37 PM

Well, for that price, I finally had to break down and get Afro Samurai :)

#87 stewie75

stewie75

JoeyJoeJoeJrShabadoo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:31 PM

Any distinctive advantages of Fuel on one system over the other (360/PS3)?

In one of them, there are hidden messages that slowly turn you into a homosexual as you get further into the game. Make your choice....
Currently Playing:
:ps4: Wolfenstein, Watch Dogs, Last of Us Remastered
:wiiu: Mario Kart 8
:3ds: Luigi's Mansion
:ps3: Deadpool
Recently Completed: Kirby Triple Deluxe :3ds:

#88 noisome07

noisome07

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:32 PM

You should research the definitions, and synonyms for the word "noisome". Your name suits you well :D.

Haha, now you have to change the subject, right? Because you know that your so called "opinions" are nothing but bullshit. Really though, once you stop being a basement dweller maybe your "opinions" will actually mean something.

#89 Sawman

Sawman

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:32 PM

I picked up Fuel on 360, I liked it when I rented it... Also already Received my Silent Hill Homecoming, and Chronicles of Riddick from a few days back yesturday. I got these games faster then the rental games from them.
XBL: Sawman

#90 Feral Lynx

Feral Lynx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 05:51 PM

Haha, now you have to Posted Imagechange the subject, right? Because you know that your so called "opinions" are nothing but bullshit. Really though, once you stop being a basement dweller maybe your "opinions" will actually mean something.

Perhaps you should look at yourself in the mirror, tough guy? You still haven't provided a coherent argument, nor articulated any of your views (besides criticizing me for having a view). Kindly go, and talk to a wall.