Do you throw away game cases?

ChunkyB

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I can't remember which podcast I was listening to (maybe Drunk Tank), but they were talking about how they never keep game cases. They just throw them away and put the game in a binder. I have always been the type to throw away CD cases the second I get home and put the CD in a binder, but I have never thrown away a DVD/game case. The whole idea seemed totally foreign to me. So, I ask, does anyone here actually throw away their cases?

yeah i knew guys who did that and i never understood it. I had a habit of selling or trading my games and its alot easier if you have everything. I also worked at a gamecrazy and i hated when someone came in with a binder to trade games.

No, of course not. I'm either wanting to keep it (seldom) or want to trade/sell it and want the full package (case and manual) to get full value (or at least trade quicker on Goozex).

[quote name='62t']If you are trading it to GS or Game Crazy it really doesnt matter[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but hopefully most CAGs know better than to do that. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to keep all the boxes, but once I started moving around during university I got sick of transporting around so many dvd cases. So one day I just started using a binder and gave all the boxes away to another gamer.
Right now my 360 games are all still cased, but since I'm planning on moving abroad next year, I anticipate another great plastic box giveaway.

It depends upon the situation. When I ran out of room to store most of my games I had to thin down the collection somehow. Getting rid of the cases and either putting the games into binders or slimmer jewel cases/DVD cases was the best option at the time. Initially, I sold my original cases (PS2, XBox, etc.) because it felt like a waste to get rid of them otherwise but once I exhausted my local options it was just far too much of a hassle to box, pack, and ship cases. It also didn't help that most people wanted to lowball them for a nickel apiece and free shipping. Ha ha, no.

The more obscure stuff I tend to keep on the side so I can just do one more, big sendoff. That's why I have a stack of PS1 and Saturn longboxes (+manuals) that are taking up far too much room by themselves. Otherwise, since I never trade in any of my games, I don't really need the cases at all. So the only case where those titles are getting traded in is if I get robbed, and a happy theoretical "screw you" to them if they expect more money out of that endeavor. ;)

I'm in the US Navy, and I live on a ship for a good portion of the year, so I've always thrown out the cases and kept my games in a binder to save space.

If I was able to find a good binder to hold my games + manual + artwork neatly, I'd never keep a game case again. I just don't have the room to store everything in their case.

Every game in my collection has it's original case/manual. I would never throw away a case for a game.

I understand the advantages of having more space but I'm pretty anal about my stuff. It has to be complete so that it looks nice on the shelf.

[quote name='Jmclark']Hell no. I don't get why you would throw them away, it basically gets rid of the game's value.[/QUOTE]

I don't buy games for their value, I buy games to play them.

i throw away those fake cases you used to get from gamestop when youd buy used games but aside from that i keep all mine. I did put all my ps2 games in a biner and put the cases up somewhere( saves space and time) but i keep my ps3 games in their cases. the few older gen games i kept in cases because they were rare or hard for me to find and i didnt want to risk damaging them.

[quote name='Astinus Majere']I'm in the US Navy, and I live on a ship for a good portion of the year, so I've always thrown out the cases and kept my games in a binder to save space.[/QUOTE]
^The only reasonable excuse if you do

[quote name='Astinus Majere']I don't buy games for their value, I buy games to play them.[/QUOTE]

I don't care about value in a collecting stand point.

But I do trade/sell pretty much every game I acquire (seldom buy a game these days, just get it off Goozex), so I don't want to toss the case and hurt value/ease of trading that way.

But I can see ditching the cases for people who don't sell/trade games, and aren't collectors really--especially if they have space/moving issues like the guy in the Navy above.

Well now with the cheapo' cases that have 75% vulnerability and will just not stand the test of time of constant use, I've been thinking about getting slim poly CD cases and boxing up the cases till I trade them in, but the cases I want seem to only be sold in batches of 50 to 200 (I just need 10 for my rising X360 collection that I'm being stingy on the list).

I wish they just started ditching manuals to cut shipping costs, any competent game should have a thorough tutorial section and a controls menu in the game. Developers can then make Wikipedia entry's for their games for people that want the "manual lore".

[quote name='Shrapnellistic']Well now with the cheapo' cases that have 75% vulnerability and will just not stand the test of time of constant use, I've been thinking about getting slim poly CD cases and boxing up the cases till I trade them in, but the cases I want seem to only be sold in batches of 50 to 200 (I just need 10 for my rising X360 collection that I'm being stingy on the list).

I wish they just started ditching manuals to cut shipping costs, any competent game should have a thorough tutorial section and a controls menu in the game. Developers can then make Wikipedia entry's for their games for people that want the "manual lore".[/QUOTE]

yeah manuals are kinda worthless nowdays since like you mentioned most games have in game tutorials at the beginning. not to mention nowdays the manuals dont have anything worth reading in them. not like the good old days............

I keep them. I hate, hate hate buying a used game from a store and getting a generic case it bugs me as I end up keeping a lot of my games or trading and I like getting as good as a rating as possible so I would rather not trade them a game that's in a crappy looking case or worse, one with no case at all.

I don't think I've done that intentionally since the SNES days and I mostly just stuck the boxes in my closet, though they'd occasionally get squished and become unusable anyway if I traded them in. I'd never do it now since games are on discs and the cases protect the games, so I'd have to reason to toss them out.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']It boggles my mind that anyone throws away CD or DVD or game cases. :([/QUOTE]
Its an idea that never even entered my mine before. I always assumed people lost cases instead of intentionally throwing them away.

bread's done
Back