Photo
- - - - -

My slumlord sued me: A cautionary tale; UPDATE: Life in prison. The end.

• Please log in to reply
433 replies to this topic

#181 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:54 PM

This story just keeps getting better and better-- I think you'll be in the running for Thread-of-the-Year in 2010, too, Speedracer!

I would have to agree on that.

As much as I'd like to believe some people aren't this dumb, this landlord keeps proving me wrong, time and time again.

speedracer, nice bit of info that the court would take good faith attempts to try and serve the summons as proof that you tried to service it and he's ducking the attempts. I'll have to remember that for the future, if I'm ever in a similar position.

#182 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:49 PM

One minor suggestion. Could you possibly date the updates? Very interesting read, but if I hadn't seen this get bumped so much, I would have never had known this got an update. And even then, took me a minute to remember where I stopped reading last =P

And good luck with it all; will definitely keep up with this.

#183 Guest_strongpimphand_*

Guest_strongpimphand_*

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:52 AM

"Hello, this is speed racer..."

"No comprende!"

#184 fatherofcaitlyn

fatherofcaitlyn

Der Uber Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:25 AM

No comprende?

It would be "No comprendo."

Do his Spanish speakers not understand proper tense?
Synergize, bitches!
Posted Image

#185 speedracer

speedracer

Get off my lawn

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:01 PM

One minor suggestion. Could you possibly date the updates? Very interesting read, but if I hadn't seen this get bumped so much, I would have never had known this got an update. And even then, took me a minute to remember where I stopped reading last =P

Every time I update, I hope the next one will be the last. I'll start throwing dates on em. Good idea.

This story just keeps getting better and better-- I think you'll be in the running for Thread-of-the-Year in 2010, too, Speedracer!

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the thought of it. Two damn months before we even get back into the ring with this guy. If he shows, we can get a judgment on the spot and hope the bailiff requires payment right then (in some alternate universe it happens that way). If he doesn't show which appears likely, we get to put a lien on his property and wait for his appeal of the decision. He'll argue he wasn't served and will fail again, but it'll add a few more months to the saga while we wait for his appeals to be exhausted.

At this rate, I'll probably be nominated in 2011 and 2012 also.

#186 Sito

Sito

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:37 PM

oh man, I am glad I was on the site to see this pop up in the last 5 posted because I haven't followed since voting this as TOTY 09'.

Can't wait to see what happens in May
I love lamp

#187 georox

georox

The Captain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:55 PM

That's how the law works, sadly...

3DS Friend code - 1418-6866-3699

#188 BattleChicken

BattleChicken

IM IN UR THRED!!1

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:23 PM

I don't know why.. but I keep having "If you can doge a summons, you can dodge a ball" going through my head when I read the thread title.

#189 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:06 PM

Oh wow, this is just unbelievable... :rofl:
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#190 watcher0

watcher0

CAGmeister

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:14 PM

Every time I update, I hope the next one will be the last. I'll start throwing dates on em. Good idea.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the thought of it. Two damn months before we even get back into the ring with this guy. If he shows, we can get a judgment on the spot and hope the bailiff requires payment right then (in some alternate universe it happens that way). If he doesn't show which appears likely, we get to put a lien on his property and wait for his appeal of the decision. He'll argue he wasn't served and will fail again, but it'll add a few more months to the saga while we wait for his appeals to be exhausted.

You must be quite the optimist to have kept thinking "the next one will be the last" for so long. :applause:

Maybe when this is all over you'll get a special CAG award for most consecutive years being nominated. At the very least that guy should get an honorable mention in the villains category next year.

#191 speedracer

speedracer

Get off my lawn

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:17 PM

"I don't think he'll go for it, so naturally he's going to take the offer" update.
Posted Image

#192 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:22 PM

hell probably accept and then take ages on actually paying it.

Posted Image

#193 BattleChicken

BattleChicken

IM IN UR THRED!!1

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:35 PM

Perhaps you should light him on fire. Fire fixes all of life's problems.

Except out of control fires...

#194 speedracer

speedracer

Get off my lawn

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:51 PM

Today's the day.

#195 Msut77

Msut77

Occam's Shank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2010 - 01:48 PM

God's speed er... speed.

#196 Access_Denied

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:24 PM

You should probably correct the date from 3/11/10 to 5/11/10. That really confused me for a minute. ;)

#197 speedracer

speedracer

Get off my lawn

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:30 PM

You should probably correct the date from 3/11/10 to 5/11/10. That really confused me for a minute. ;)

Thanks. Fixed it.

Thanks Msut. Here's hoping he pays for my new PS3.

#198 Will

Will

Official CAG Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:31 PM

Perhaps you should light him on fire. Fire fixes all of life's problems.

Except out of control fires...

Controlled fires help get out of control fires under control.......................Yes, I know what you were doing...Im just f'n bored and thats all I could come up with to reply at the moment.

http://www.cheapassg...trade-gone-bad/

Heroes.jpg
I dont trade out of the US anymore!!!!!!!

#199 Guest_strongpimphand_*

Guest_strongpimphand_*

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:35 PM

The scary thing would be if speed somehow loses....

Or maybe one of those courtroom TV show moments where the slum lord is like "Judge, I'd like to enter into evidence....a transcript of his accounts based on his cheapassgamer.com account!!!!"

I would find that hilarious

#200 BattleChicken

BattleChicken

IM IN UR THRED!!1

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:01 PM

Controlled fires help get out of control fires under control.......................Yes, I know what you were doing...Im just f'n bored and thats all I could come up with to reply at the moment.

Fire fixes all of lifes problems. It is official.

I knew about the controlled fires thing regarding forest fires and the like before you mentioned it.. but didn't think about that at all when I typed my comment out originally.

So, Fire. that's the answer.
Pretend something awesome is written here.

#201 DAWG26

DAWG26

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:57 PM

Just read all the updates. I cant wait to hear what goes down today!

#202 Dasflikko

Dasflikko

I want a cookie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:19 PM

Just discovered this thread. Incredible read, thanks for posting Speedracer.

I'm new to Texas so this hits home even more for me.

#203 tholly

tholly

R.I.P. HD-DVD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:38 PM

Can't wait to see how this one ends up.....
Excel Collection Spreadsheet
WTB: Magnavox Odyssey 2 The Voice manual / box & Sega 32x Spider-man & Pitfall

#204 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:27 PM

Dum, de dum, dum....DUMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank goodness he didn't take your latest offer, can't wait to see him lose!

#205 speedracer

speedracer

Get off my lawn

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:01 PM

And now I'm going to get personal with him.
Posted Image

#206 Will

Will

Official CAG Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:12 PM

Its amazing at what tricks this douchebag tries pulling....and essentially gets away with it...till now lol.

http://www.cheapassg...trade-gone-bad/

Heroes.jpg
I dont trade out of the US anymore!!!!!!!

#207 Jerajdai

Jerajdai

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:51 PM

Seriously, this is the best thread here. That slumlord is totally getting what he deserves...

#208 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2010 - 02:24 PM

We have to wait a month until we can put a lien on his property. I'm going to go knock on the doors of his other tenants and explain exactly what he did to us, what the bullshit in the contract means, and tell em about his rape charges. I'm going to go to his current neighbors and tell them about the criminal charges. I'm going to try to go to his court date on for the criminal charges. With judgment in hand and him stiffing us again, I have full support from the others to exert maximum pressure. So that's what I'm gonna do.

Two things:

1) He can just walk out without paying - is that because he has a right to appeal?

2) Are you concerned that he will sue you for libel. I mean, it sounds like it would be baseless, but this guy seems pretty vindictive.

#209 Guest_strongpimphand_*

Guest_strongpimphand_*

Posted 12 May 2010 - 02:41 PM

At this point, it was clear to me (and all of us I think) that he had no intention of ever paying us on a future date. The only carrot we had left was the promise to drop the suit. He says he will get the money and come back. My wife and one of the other tenants stays at the court house to wait for him to come back with the money. I go run some errands, buy a big cigar, and go back to the court house with 15 minutes to go. I stand out front and smoke the cigar, laughing the whole time.

He never comes back. At 5pm, the judgment is entered against the landlord.

You sir, you have just performed what is called "THE VICTORY FORMATION"

Here is a huge picture of Matt Hesslebeck demostrating what you have just done

Posted Image

For those who are not familiar with football, here is the same formation in a more simplistic diagram

Posted Image

Well done!

#210 Anexanhume

Anexanhume

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:11 PM

Dude, I wouldn't go around talking to his neighbors or showing up at his criminal court dates. That's just fodder for him dragging you back into court, baseless or not.