Problems with old landlord.

Rusty Ghia

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I know that I need to speak to an actual lawyer, but I want to know what our resident legal-types would suggest I do before doing so. My previous landlord sent me an e-mail saying that she intends to charge me for lost rent since I moved out before my lease was up. I have lived in the townhouse for 5.5 years and had signed a lease when I moved in stating that I would stay for one year then have a month-to-month after that first year. You know, the standard lease.

Fast forward to August of this year and I find my landlord in my house without my permission. She knew full well that I would not be home since I told her that I would be out. By her own admission, she had waited there for more than 7 hours and had her husband and two kids running around the place. She hands over a new lease for another year and demands that I sign it. She won't leave, nor does she want to do a walkthrough. She also won't note on the new lease that I have already paid a deposit. It is late, I'm tired, and I'm annoyed so I sign the damn thing to get her out of my home. She doesn't initial the lease, she refuses to give me a copy, and the lease lists a location in a completely different city and address so I don't worry too much that the lease would be enforceable if push came to shove.

She has entered the property without permission on multiple occasions, she moved my stuff around without my permission, and has been a terror to my girlfriend (who is also a tenant) and I so I gave her my 30-day notice to move out in November. My girlfriend and I moved out at the end of the month, and now my old landlord sent me an e-mail saying that she will try to get any lost rent from me. She can't rent the place out as she never repaired the walls or floor from when water leaked out from broken water pipes both under the flooring and that had seeped over from a neighbor's broken water pipe when I still lived there. She also put up ads stating that the place is newly remodeled, has new floors, new paint, and new carpets, none of which is true. And she blames me that she can't find anyone to rent the place out even though the place was spotless when we moved out.

I've looked into talking to a lawyer, but I'm completely new to this whole process and my girlfriend says that I'll probably have to sue the old landlord. Any suggestions or words of wisdom?

Wow that sucks. It seems like there are more and more of those crazy people now adays that are so crazy they don't even realize they are crazy-which makes them even crazier.

This is all I can think of: you come home to find your landlord and her family running rampant through your possessions in the home you pay for, demanding you sign a contract you haven't read, and refusing to leave... and you didn't just call the cops?!?!

Aside from that- I don't think anyone here can help you at this point. Just go find a good lawyer, and best of luck, 'cuz she sounds certifiable.

IANAL, but I know you screwed up when you signed the new contract.

Don't bow to high-pressure sales tactics, in this case you should have called the cops.

[quote name='jbroush99']Are you using an abbreviation or bragging?[/QUOTE]

It's camoor, ok?

Probably a little bit of both.

OP: Sorry about the issues, but I have to agree with the previous comments that signing a new contract was a bad move. Your best bet is to find a friend or relative and sublease it to them, I'm guessing, so that you can get her off your back and keep any future rent payments smaller, since they'll probably come out of your pocket at some point.

I further agree that calling the cops might have been a good idea, assuming there's nothing in the lease that grants her permission to enter properties without notice and agreement.

I don't know what a lawyer could do, assuming the new thing you signed is considered binding. That's going to be the crux here. Best to go get a copy of that ASAP and start reading. Is there any reason she'd refuse to hand over a copy? Is that legal?

Good luck, otherwise.

He is using the acronym of "I Am Not A Lawyer".

I wish I knew that earlier. It led to a lot of awkward PMs.

Makes me grateful for having had pleasant landlord-tenant relations for many years. Bought my place from my landlord about 14 years ago. Best wishes, im sure there are good answers to your questions!

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Don't sign shit.[/QUOTE]

This.

I feel bad for you OP but I'd never sign anything in a situation like that, I'm sure there's laws protecting you from stuff like this. Charging someone who's moved out rent because she can't find anyone else to move in sounds like a bunch of crap.

[quote name='Strell']It's camoor, ok?

Probably a little bit of both.

OP: Sorry about the issues, but I have to agree with the previous comments that signing a new contract was a bad move. Your best bet is to find a friend or relative and sublease it to them, I'm guessing, so that you can get her off your back and keep any future rent payments smaller, since they'll probably come out of your pocket at some point.

I further agree that calling the cops might have been a good idea, assuming there's nothing in the lease that grants her permission to enter properties without notice and agreement.

I don't know what a lawyer could do, assuming the new thing you signed is considered binding. That's going to be the crux here. Best to go get a copy of that ASAP and start reading. Is there any reason she'd refuse to hand over a copy? Is that legal?

Good luck, otherwise.[/QUOTE]

California civil code states that a landlord must get at least 24 hour notice before entering the premises and that a lease/rent agreement cannot modify or deny that right to privacy. And I have called the police on her ass, but they wouldn't do anything as it is a civil matter and not a criminal matter. I have shown my lease to a lawyer in a free consult and they said that the lease is unenforceable as she layed in wait and forced me to sign under duress. There is also the little matter that the lease is for a completely different address. I just have to talk to a lawyer for real. Wait a pain in the ass that woman is.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']This is all I can think of: you come home to find your landlord and her family running rampant through your possessions in the home you pay for, demanding you sign a contract you haven't read, and refusing to leave... and you didn't just call the cops?!?!

Aside from that- I don't think anyone here can help you at this point. Just go find a good lawyer, and best of luck, 'cuz she sounds certifiable.[/QUOTE]

yeah you definelty should have called the cops it may have caused you troubles in the uture but at least they could have made them leave your home without you needing to sign anything.

Why one earth would you sign a lease that had a different address other than the place you were living? She can probably claim that you rented that other place. Talk to a lawyer, but good luck. Sounds like both the landlord and tenant are crazy.

[quote name='keithp']Why one earth would you sign a lease that had a different address other than the place you were living? She can probably claim that you rented that other place. Talk to a lawyer, but good luck. Sounds like both the landlord and tenant are crazy.[/QUOTE]

I didn't notice that the address was different. She wanted to go home quickly and didn't give me a chance to really look it over. She only e-mailed me a copy of the rental agreement afterwards and that's when I noticed the incorrect address.

Dude, I have had some really bad landlords, and these certainly sound worse than my experiences, but you sort of tied your own noose when you signed a new lease "just so she'd leave". Not sure how well that holds up in court.

With respect to her listing the place as newsly remodeled, report her to your local housing authority. They can probably do more about that than anyone else, since there are tenant/landlord issues there unrelated to your signed lease.

Hope it gets worked out. Bad landlords take years off of people's lives.

IANAL is Apple's new internet buttsex app.

bread's done
Back