Photo
- - - - -

Are you scared of Roller Coasters?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you scared of Roller Coasters?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Are you scared of Roller Coasters?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 JStryke

JStryke

Angel With A Shotgun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:33 AM

I'll ride a good majority of roller coasters. Loops, corkscrews, it's all good. The only ones I avoid are what I call "danglefeet" coasters. To give an example of what I mean, The Great Bear at Hershey Park in PA.

card.png

#32 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:58 PM

Afraid of roller coasters? No.

Afraid of heights? Yes.

I used to go to Cedar Point every summer. I don't go on roller coasters anymore for fear that I'm going to black out, or get an aneurism. I almost blacked a few years ago, and it was pretty scary.

#33 SpazX

SpazX

13 Billion Years in the Making

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2009 - 02:50 PM

KD does have more rollercoasters, which is a bit more appealing to me (but then again, I went in 2009). It was interesting because one of the rides there, The Dominator, I rode on it back when it use to be at Six Flags Worlds of Adventure/Geauga Lake in OH.

Yeah, I just liked the rides better at Busch Gardens, although they've definitely changed a lot at King's Dominion since I've been there. I might have just gotten bored of King's Dominion though, my parents got season passes a couple summers (when I wasn't even riding coasters). Last time I went I think they were still working on whatever that one was that just kind of went straight up and fell back down (I don't think I'd ride that one, honestly, and I don't see it on their list).

But out of what was there when I went, I never got a chance to ride the grizzly (it was closed for a while I think, it seems to be open now), the rebel yell backwards, shockwave, or flight of fear. I liked Volcano, rode that one a few times. Half the stuff they have on the site now didn't exist last time I went.

I think I actually prefer the "danglefeet" coasters that somebody else mentioned.

I think I rode everything at Busch Gardens that they had at the time. The Griffon looks cool though, I'd like to try that one.

Posted Image

#34 Strell

Strell

LOBSTERS!....IN MY PANTS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2009 - 02:53 PM

I think I actually prefer the "danglefeet" coasters that somebody else mentioned.

They are called inverted coasters. I think I prefer them too because they generally can't be as scary. Or, at least, that's the case with me - seems like they can't achieve pure speeds a conventional one can.

I got over the fears of coasters on my first time. Was up in Dallas and the first one I ever road was the Texas Giant. It's nothing special except for the first drop, and even then it's not a big deal except that the coaster has a wooden Wile E. Coyote cutout clutching for dear life at the top, along with an agonizing period where it goes extra slow. Rattles you up there, and then rattles you for the rest of the ride (being a wooden coaster). Other time I got used to coasters was on a trip in middle school to Astroworld, where we were supposed to "study" physics throughout the day. I was in a group with some friends, but between the four of us, two refused to ride anything. I didn't want my friend to go alone, so I went along.

Favorite coaster is the Mr. Freeze up in Six Flags Dallas. Goes so fast you don't have time to get scared - zero to sixty or something in about two seconds, straight up and down in an arc, and then shot up 300+ feet straight up, hang for a second, and do it all again backwards.

I also think there should be a coaster called the Russian Roulette, and once a day, it randomly undoes the harnesses and restraints in the middle of the ride.

Posted Image
Aminal Crossing: Strell@Tazmily, 2836-3590- 0819

"One of the more...amusing screwballs around here..." - shrike4242
Join the El Hoardo Fan Club!
Threadless.com puts the fun back in laundry!...lafundry! HOORAY! (Referral link)
Wii Obscure FAQ and Facts Thread [Version 2.0] ::: Wii Shop Thread ::: DSi Shop Thread

#35 SpazX

SpazX

13 Billion Years in the Making

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:03 PM

Mr. Freeze looks pretty crazy. I like the Volcano because it's LIM, but it's not a particularly crazy coaster, just a couple corkscrews really, and it's inverted. The beginning is awesome though, just foom! and it sounds like fucking warp drive.

Posted Image

#36 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:13 PM

As I've gotten older I've started disliking roller coasters more and more (mostly the height factor, but I still ride them).

#37 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:23 PM

I love em! Cedar Point is still king phuba when it comes to roller coasters in my opinion. My favorite all time is probably The Beast at Kings Island.

But the Son of Beast is a shitshow of a coaster. It's genuinely fucking painful the way it thrashes your body around - I rode it several times over a few trips in years past just to see if it was the coaster that sucked or if I was just being a baby. I'm convinced the former is the case.

But the original Beast is one of my favorite coasters of all time. I'm still sour the sons of bitches that run Kings Island no longer run a backwards Racer, though. That's blasphemy right there.
Posted Image

#38 Predator Ranger

Predator Ranger

Admiral Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:52 PM

I haven't been to a wide variety of amusement parks, but I've been to the Great Escape in Lake George, NY a number of times. The Steamin' Demon is alright, but the Comet and Boomerang are really fun. The Comet is a bit simpler, since it's an old wooden coaster -- no loops are anything, but the speed and turns are a hell of a lot of fun. The Boomerang is a newer one, with it's key feature being a return trip going backwards. It's very cool.

Like some other people here, I hate heights, but have no problem being on a roller coaster. I'm even cool with the inverted ones.
Posted Image

#39 GuilewasNK

GuilewasNK

No gimmicks necessary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2009 - 04:03 PM

hate heights, hate flying, but i love roller coasters

I hate heights, but love flying. Weird.

Also the only "roller coaster" I have been on is the fake one they had in the mall years ago.

Posted Image

It is illegal to assault the internet. - Xi Yanchun

click for my list ---> Posted Image RPGS added!

#40 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2009 - 04:09 PM

The Steamin' Demon is alright

Sounds more like a nasty sexual position than a roller coaster.

#41 DuelLadyS

DuelLadyS

Basch Lives!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2009 - 04:17 PM

I am, for the most part, a total roller coaster chicken. It's only been the last 3 years or so I've even attempted any, I never went on them as a kid.

My fiance, however, adores roller coasters, and he's the reason I've been weaned into riding some of them... basically, anything that isn't going to flip me upside down or sideways is OK. The one I've been on that's bothered me the most is the Jaguar at Knotts Berry Farms (if you've never heard of it, it's becuase it's a lil' coaster no one really bothers with anymore.) That one put you mostly sideways, which did freak me out... largely for the sharp ends on tne bamboo they cut down to not hit the riders, but not low enough to get it away from the heads of taller folk.

I'm going to be forced onto a big coaster one day, I know it... I just don't think I'm gonna like it.

#42 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2009 - 04:45 PM

Love roller coasters but can't ride them anymore because I'll get sick.

I would get sick when I was a kid, was fine when I was a teen, but now I'm back to getting motion sickness. In my defense, rollercoasters are alot more hardcore these days.

#43 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2009 - 04:52 PM

Posted Image

#44 Ronzilla

Ronzilla

ROBOT-IN-DISGUISE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2009 - 04:54 PM

Love roller coasters as well but always get butterflies on the ones that are the free fall type rides. The negative G's are gut checking literally.
RrxH2Eb.png

=============================================

Trade List: http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=263110

#45 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2009 - 05:32 PM

Great topic. I never rode roller coasters until my senior year of high school when we took our senior trip to Orlando, and I just thought "Fuck it. When am I going to get this chance again?" I rode Space Mountain, and some of the other Disney coasters. Then, at Islands of Adventure, I rode The Hulk coaster. I took another trip to Orlando a couple years ago, and I have to say, Islands of Adventure/Universal has the best rides. I don't care how many twists/loops/drops the ride has as long as I feel secure. It's that "single lap bar, sliding around, feeling your ass lift off the seat" shit that freaks me out.

On that subject, a few years after my senior trip, I was still feeling brave and decided to ride the Cyclone at Coney Island. For anyone who doesn't know, it's one of the oldest wooden coasters in the country (built in 1927) and was deemed a New York City landmark in 1988. Just looking at it, you wouldn't be very impressed, but because of what a huge piece of shit it is, it was without question the most terrifying ride in my life. It only has the single lap bar to hold you in, and the drops are actually big enough so you can see the front car as you plummet (I was seated in the latter half).

Add to that the rickety shaking that rattles your bones the entire ride, and you've got one miserable experience. As I felt my ass lift off the seat, my distrust for the ride compelled me to physically pull myself back down. When the torment finally ended, my back was actually in pain from the constant shaking. I can appreciate that this is one of the oldest roller coasters left in existence, but what a piece of shit. There's a reason people don't play football in leather helmets anymore.

Here's a POV of the Cyclone. Like I said, it doesn't really look like much, but you can almost get a feel for how bad the rickety shaking is.

For comparison, here's The Hulk coaster which didn't bother me at all.

#46 Access_Denied

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2009 - 05:38 PM

Reading this thread makes me realize how lucky I am to have a Six Flags just down the road. I never really stopped to think that most people don't live anywhere near a theme park and never really get the chance to enjoy roller coasters. I've been riding them since I was tall enough and I love 'em. :)

And for all those people who are scared, take it slowly. Ride a few small ones first. The scariest part is the way up, because it takes so long and you have time to look down. :O But after that, everything's going so fast that you forget you're scared. :)

#47 QiG

QiG

I'm all out of gum..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:18 PM

Thankful Cedar Point is down the road as well. I'd probably still be a chicken to this day if I didn't go almost every year.

Wooden coasters I shy away from as well. Maybe it's that I'm getting into my late 20s, but brain damage inducing rattles, juts, and whiplash sensations just don't do it for me. Especially when you have rides shooting you 400+ feet in the air from 0-120 in mere seconds on silky smooth tracks, it's too hard to go back.

Oddly enough, also afraid of heights but I don't mind flying or coasters.
Posted Image

#48 darthbudge

darthbudge

The Real DB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:20 PM

Reading this thread makes me realize how lucky I am to have a Six Flags just down the road. I never really stopped to think that most people don't live anywhere near a theme park and never really get the chance to enjoy roller coasters. I've been riding them since I was tall enough and I love 'em. :)

And for all those people who are scared, take it slowly. Ride a few small ones first. The scariest part is the way up, because it takes so long and you have time to look down. :O But after that, everything's going so fast that you forget you're scared. :)

Yup, the wait in line and the ride up are the worst parts for me. I plan on doing some small coasters first and working my way up. I just hope that the people I am going with don't want to immediately hop on the Titan or something. :lol:

#49 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:01 PM

Yup, the wait in line and the ride up are the worst parts for me. I plan on doing some small coasters first and working my way up. I just hope that the people I am going with don't want to immediately hop on the Titan or something. :lol:

If they're not complete douchebags, just tell them you'd like to go on smaller coasters and build up to the bigger ones.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#50 Danil ACE

Danil ACE

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:06 PM

Cedar Point is excellent. My favorite coaster there is probably Millennium Force. I haven't had the chance to ride Top Thrill Dragster yet though, because it's broken whenever I go...lol

#51 letsgetacid

letsgetacid

Would you kindly?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:28 PM

Before I had burned myself out at Great America, I was absolutely terrified of them. I took a trip there when I was 11 or 12 and rode every coaster they had to offer several times. That day was pivotal, as I now absolutely love them. I'm kind of scared of heights, but riding the hell out of roller coasters helped me get over that.

6pnk7d.jpg

#52 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:32 PM

Ah, why not. Just for fun :)

And just because this is hilarious.

#53 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:04 PM

But the Son of Beast is a shitshow of a coaster. It's genuinely fucking painful the way it thrashes your body around - I rode it several times over a few trips in years past just to see if it was the coaster that sucked or if I was just being a baby. I'm convinced the former is the case.

But the original Beast is one of my favorite coasters of all time. I'm still sour the sons of bitches that run Kings Island no longer run a backwards Racer, though. That's blasphemy right there.

Is the son of beast aka the beastie or is that another coaster??. I can't believe they don't run a backwards Racer anymore that is horrible. Another sad thing is the Demon Drop is being sold from Cedar Point. It's been there forever it's like a landmark! :(. I have not been to Kings Island in a long time do they still have the King Cobra and the Vortex? :lol:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#54 fart_bubble

fart_bubble

A fart that says "Ni"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:22 PM

why I'm always grateful of the Whizzer. Perfect starting point with The Demon right next to it. Still wish they had the pocket change eater Space Shuttle
Posted ImagePosted Image

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats

#55 Access_Denied

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:38 PM

why I'm always grateful of the Whizzer. Perfect starting point with The Demon right next to it. Still wish they had the pocket change eater Space Shuttle

Yeah, those were the rides that I rode when I was little. Then one day, I went with a bunch of my cousins and they wanted to go on the 'big rides'. Being too scared to admit that I was scared, I went on Batman and Raging Bull. Amazing. I LOVED them after that. I'm afraid of heights, but that 210ft drop on Raging Bull is still awesome every time I ride it.

#56 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:45 PM

I've been riding them since I was tall enough.

Actually though, I've been pretty burnt out on them the last couple times I went to an amusement park. They just don't seem as fun anymore.

Then again, I went skydiving last summer, and had a blast. Maybe I need to "move up" to more of that? (Gonna try bungee jumping someday.)

EDIT: Forgot to mention it, but I still love going on wooden coasters. They still carry the "oh shit" factor, since most of them feel like they can fall apart at any minute.

#57 fart_bubble

fart_bubble

A fart that says "Ni"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:58 PM

Yeah, those were the rides that I rode when I was little. Then one day, I went with a bunch of my cousins and they wanted to go on the 'big rides'. Being too scared to admit that I was scared, I went on Batman and Raging Bull. Amazing. I LOVED them after that. I'm afraid of heights, but that 210ft drop on Raging Bull is still awesome every time I ride it.

the Power Dive (finally remembered the name) were the first "grownup" rides we went on. And then Iron Wolf when that opened (still have to remember to squat a bit till it locks me in as it tends to pick me up by the balls) was the first real roller coaster that I really liked. Batman is still cool but it;s so frigging short.

Also wish those girls didn't get hurt on the Cajun Cliffhanger, such a simple but ride. Always made sure I went on it any time we went.

Really need to go back, haven't been there since 04. Been wanting to check out Hurricane Harbor
Posted ImagePosted Image

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats

#58 DrFoo

DrFoo

I think I can beat you.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:34 PM

I love roller coasters. They aren't really scary at all anymore, though. When I was little they kind of terrified me. I think part of it was you felt more like you were going to fly out of your seat.

#59 darthbudge

darthbudge

The Real DB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:49 PM

Well I just rode the Titan. Pretty sure I can ride anything now.

#60 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:21 AM

Is the son of beast aka the beastie or is that another coaster??. I can't believe they don't run a backwards Racer anymore that is horrible. Another sad thing is the Demon Drop is being sold from Cedar Point. It's been there forever it's like a landmark! :(. I have not been to Kings Island in a long time do they still have the King Cobra and the Vortex? :lol:

Keep in mind (1) the loop is gone and (2) there are a number of civil suits against the park pending injuries claimed to have been caused by the roller coaster.

King Cobra is no more. Let us not speak of it again, as I thought that coaster was fuckin' great.
Posted Image