Collectorz.com "Game Collector Pro" 50% off

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#61 basilofbkrst

basilofbkrst

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:54 PM

For those making lists for insurance reason, how does not work out? Does the insurance company assuming your not lying about what you have or are you keeping track of scanned barcodes or something?

#62 Layd Dly

Layd Dly

LEGEND..wait for it..DARY

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:43 PM

For those making lists for insurance reason, how does not work out? Does the insurance company assuming your not lying about what you have or are you keeping track of scanned barcodes or something?

I dont know about you guys but i take photos of all of my stuff, which also serves as posts in the Pick-up threads.

Battle.net: Vinomen#1986
76561197994706915.pngAddFriend.png
168249.png

#63 tripredicus

tripredicus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:50 PM

I take photos of the games and attach them to the game in the Collectorz DB. Collectorz allows you to attach a front cover and back cover picture to the game, I use up the back cover with my personal pic since the online lookup DB rarely has the back cover available.

I haven't done it for every game so far but I've done all the rare/expensive games and the consoles. If my house burns down I'd hope to be able to get a $5000 claim approved from the documentation I have. The limit on personal collectible claims on my HOI is $10k, but I doubt I'd ever get that much back no matter how much I document my collection.

#64 GrilledWitOnions

GrilledWitOnions

Thrillhouse!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:03 AM

I know I must sound like an employee, I am not (just a user who found the site via consumerist of gizmodo if I remember correctly), but itrackmine seems to do what Media Man does.

If you could export your data to CSV or excel then to CSV, itrackmine should be able to use your Media Man data already entered.

I'm getting to a point where I am going to start entering all my hardware (TVs, laptops, computers, DVD player, etc) for insurance reasons. I just need to get a cheap camcorder to video tape everything as proof I actually owned everything.

Had a buddy a few months ago go through a house fire, proving he had what he said he did was not as easy as you might think. Having a list and video would have helped him a lot, and since you can have the data locally if you print it or export it in addittion to being on the itrackmine severs; even in a fire your data will not be destroyed. I am going to send a copy of the video to relatives as an offsite backup.

itrackmine does look really nice. I will probably export and use that. I think what held me back was I was looking at getting a droid and trying to use the barcode scanner app to scan everything. Mediaman has a plugin for it, but I think bcwebcam can work with itrackmine since it can put a scanned barcode into a text field. Not sure how much quicker that would be than 10-keying them though, which is what I do. Will look into itrackmine this weekend for sure.
Also why is it that when i click the "Diablo" picture, i get sent to pc games without the Diablo and even when i searched for Diablo, i get no results.
Oh boy...You said there was going to be Diablo op. Where is my Diablo? I dont see Diablo. You promised me Diablo.

#65 turls

turls

Clouds: no, Sunshine: yes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:20 AM

This is the scanner I am using, it acts like a USB keyboard so I guess it would work with MAC too. Not sure if this is the person I got it from or not, but the scanner is exactly the same.

Link:
Ebay - USB 80mm Long CCD BARCODE SCANNER BAR CODE READER ,082

Works like a champ for me so far.

I hope not the same seller since he is scamming $20 shipping. I thought Ebay clamped down on that crap?

#66 onapartyrock

onapartyrock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:54 AM

I hope not the same seller since he is scamming $20 shipping. I thought Ebay clamped down on that crap?

I personally don't worry about the shipping cost if the total price is reasonable.
You can't find a UPC scanner of that type for $6.99 anywhere, even the Cuecats go for $10 or so. The total price being $26.51 is really cheap; I just wish I could have gotten it in black so it wouldn't stand out so much in my Entertainment Room.

I just leave it hooked up to an old laptop to make it easy to enter new items.

I thought maybe being CCD and not a laser scanner would make it bad... the thing exceeds all my expectations.

Besides, what is more or a ripoff.. $20 for shipping or the $5 for shipping and $75 for the same exact thing at Amazon via a partner:
Amazon - Contact CCD Barcode Scanner, 80mm, USB

#67 onapartyrock

onapartyrock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2009 - 04:09 AM

My parents went through a claim nightmare once, hurricane Andrew in Miami...
Basically they could not throw out any of the damaged, wet, dirty items they were able to recover for months until the the insurance company was able to make it to the house to look at it.

Besides, why should they believe you? I would think I would have learned a lesson from them but did not. The best way to prove to the insurance company that you owned something is to:
1. Scan the receipt for everything and keep it on and off site.
2. Video tape everything you own and at the start of each recording period have something that can prove the date (I newspaper or film your TV while switching channels until you get to the TV guide channel or news broadcast that shows the date).
3. Every year or so, do a walkabout with the camcorder and record everything as proof you did not sell it or get rid of it.

Imagine, my house burned down to the ground... I had 10 computers, 3 Xbox 360s and 3 PS3 plus every system from the Atari 2600 to the N64 and 4,000 games... who the hell would believe me? For my computers I show me using it with the boot up showing what was in the system.

I don't like photos personally unless in the photo you had something that proved you took it. A video tape of your place with you talking is damn good proof you had it.

A photo with a copy of your insurnace bill next to the item might be good proof.

I've gotten lax and need to redo all my tapes to bring them current, but I've had one friend do this and once the insurance company questioned the list and he was able to produce a receipt or a video for everything they questioned they just accepted the list as truth. A receipt is good so they don't bring the value down as much... you're never going to get "new" value for your stuff.

#68 GrilledWitOnions

GrilledWitOnions

Thrillhouse!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:27 AM

I personally don't worry about the shipping cost if the total price is reasonable.

I agree for the most part, however, isn't it because shipping is non-refundable that high shipping fees are bad? Has that changed (or was that ever the case)? I wouldn't like to spend $30 on something and then when it arrives broken get a $5 refund. But maybe I was misinformed, or this has changed.
Also why is it that when i click the "Diablo" picture, i get sent to pc games without the Diablo and even when i searched for Diablo, i get no results.
Oh boy...You said there was going to be Diablo op. Where is my Diablo? I dont see Diablo. You promised me Diablo.

#69 GrilledWitOnions

GrilledWitOnions

Thrillhouse!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:54 AM

I've imported the 150 or so items I had in media man into itrackmine (I've got hundreds more but had only entered a few things lying around my room). I decided to write a blog about it all, which can be found here. Warning, a bit lengthy.

#70 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:05 PM

Iv been debating creating a list of my collection for some time now....but it will just be such a pain in the ass to make the list! Even if my wife helps me I bet it will still take like 20 hours to catalog close to 1,000 games! I used to have an IGN list but I havnt updated it with games iv bought or sold in a year so god even using that will be a pain in the ass.
When the rest of the world is crazy it just does not pay to be sane! - Captain Lerner
Government is the enemy, until you need a friend - Bill Cohen
Tea baggers keep saying they want their country back, well I say I want mine forward - Bill Maher
Id rather be hated for what I am then loved for what I am not - The Miz

#71 onapartyrock

onapartyrock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:33 PM

Iv been debating creating a list of my collection for some time now....but it will just be such a pain in the ass to make the list! Even if my wife helps me I bet it will still take like 20 hours to catalog close to 1,000 games! I used to have an IGN list but I havnt updated it with games iv bought or sold in a year so god even using that will be a pain in the ass.

Just attack it a section at a time; you don't have to do it all at once.

I still have a few shelves in my living room I need to do and then I move in to the storage room where all my old games are. That is what I am not looking forward to as most of my old games don't have a box to scan a UPC code off of.

#72 averageguy

averageguy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:30 PM

Do i need any software to get the cue cat scanner to work? I just got a free one from someone in my area . I am on i track mine and trying to add it a game to my collection and no lukc,

Xbox Live Gamertage: Southtownguy
Systems Owned: Xbox, Xbox 360 Premium, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Sega Dreamcast, Game Boy Advance, Onyx DS Lite, Psp,
Help Sponsor me in my 2013 Step out Walk for Diabetes. I have had diabetes more the half my life. any size donation of any amount would be appreciated

http://stepout.diabe...793&pg=personal

#73 Baron O Hell

Baron O Hell

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:40 PM

Big jobs are always a pain. Just do it a little bit at a time. I don't have all my games listed but every now and then I'll throw on a podcast or commentary of a movie and do a few that way. I do the same with all the pictures I have. Unfortunately I have bought the same game more than once on accident. Having my crap listed has prevented me repeating this mistake.

#74 Funkenstein91

Funkenstein91

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2010 - 12:23 AM

For Mac users looking for a good alternative, try Game Hunter:

http://mac.brotherso...r-download.html

It's open source as well.

#75 onapartyrock

onapartyrock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:46 AM

Do i need any software to get the cue cat scanner to work? I just got a free one from someone in my area . I am on i track mine and trying to add it a game to my collection and no lukc,

Not if it is USB, it acts life a keyboard as fas as Windows is concerned.

#76 onapartyrock

onapartyrock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:53 AM

Big jobs are always a pain. Just do it a little bit at a time. I don't have all my games listed but every now and then I'll throw on a podcast or commentary of a movie and do a few that way. I do the same with all the pictures I have. Unfortunately I have bought the same game more than once on accident. Having my crap listed has prevented me repeating this mistake.

I agree

I just entered my old Xbox collection last weekend in to itrackmine.com about 300 titles entered and a stack 0f 10 that I need to enter manually or scan the box since there were no graphics on the site for it; took less than 1.5 hours with a cheap scan gun off of ebay (I would estimate that Cuecat would have added at least 20 minutes to that).

You don't have to do it all at one time, do a section here and there. I started with Blu-ray, Ps3 and 360 over a month. One weekend I could sleep so I did most of my DVDs, later that week I finished them. after the holidays it was my old xbox games.

Super easy with a scanner. I am not looking forward to my older games with no boxes/upc codes... that will be slow going, epically if I have to enter Atari 2600 games by hand.

#77 onapartyrock

onapartyrock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:56 AM

For Mac users looking for a good alternative, try Game Hunter:

http://mac.brotherso...r-download.html

It's open source as well.

I prefer online options now, if they allow you to export then your data is safer than if you have it on your home computer.

Checkout itrackmine.com, easy to enter and it is also iphone compatible for you mac guys.

#78 GrilledWitOnions

GrilledWitOnions

Thrillhouse!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:23 AM

Couple things to note - I believe the CueCat was originally made to send an encrypted signal; if yours isn't modded there are tutorials online. Secondly, when I got mine recently Windows Update permissions had to be changed so it automatically got drivers for the device; it kept failing install on Win7.

#79 onapartyrock

onapartyrock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:36 AM

A link on making a normal cuecat in to a UPC reader :
link
link2 with photos

#80 iTrackmine

iTrackmine

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:50 PM

Couple things to note - I believe the CueCat was originally made to send an encrypted signal; if yours isn't modded there are tutorials online. Secondly, when I got mine recently Windows Update permissions had to be changed so it automatically got drivers for the device; it kept failing install on Win7.

I just tried it with both the unmodified and modified USB cuecat's and both worked (Win 2003 server/IE 7) for me. I'm doing this in the slide-down panel on the site (click the "ADD ITEM TO YOUR COLLECTION" tab). Please send a support request and we'll try to help you through any issues! :)

We specifically coded the site so it'd work with both since not everyone wants to modify their cuecat, and/or, can't find the modified cuecat to buy.

The only thing that's odd about the unmodified cuecat is that it shows the really long, ugly code instead of the UPC/ISBN - but its converted on-the-fly so we can do a lookup.

I'm also posting here to let you all know we added more support for games. As of last night, you can specify played/not played/beat/mastered "status" of games. And did a few other updates. I posted the "official" update to our Facebook page: [edit: I can't post links...you can find a link to our FB page in the footer of iTrackmine.com]

Take care! And if you run into bugs or can't get things to work (like the cuecat), please don't hesitate to send in a support request.

--Dean

#81 onapartyrock

onapartyrock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:13 AM

I just tried it with both the unmodified and modified USB cuecat's and both worked (Win 2003 server/IE 7) for me. I'm doing this in the slide-down panel on the site (click the "ADD ITEM TO YOUR COLLECTION" tab). Please send a support request and we'll try to help you through any issues! :)

We specifically coded the site so it'd work with both since not everyone wants to modify their cuecat, and/or, can't find the modified cuecat to buy.

The only thing that's odd about the unmodified cuecat is that it shows the really long, ugly code instead of the UPC/ISBN - but its converted on-the-fly so we can do a lookup.

I'm also posting here to let you all know we added more support for games. As of last night, you can specify played/not played/beat/mastered "status" of games. And did a few other updates. I posted the "official" update to our Facebook page: [edit: I can't post links...you can find a link to our FB page in the footer of iTrackmine.com]

Take care! And if you run into bugs or can't get things to work (like the cuecat), please don't hesitate to send in a support request.

--Dean

Didn't know that was even possible with the Cuecat... good to know.

I have a new Addiction now, entering my play status on my games.

I think this weekend I am going to start entering all my Downloaded content for PSN and Xbox live, had a friend buy me a game on PSN from Amazon.com and sent me the code but I already had it - she didn't see it on my list and assumed that meant I didn't have it.

#82 supermodestmouse

supermodestmouse

Gotta Catch Em All!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:30 AM

after reading through everything, i decided to jump on the iTrackmine.com wagon too. i figure it's free and should do everything I want as far as cataloging my collection and i don't have to pay a fee (not yet at least).

i tried using mediaman earlier, but it wasn't as good.
http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=224637

smiles are free, don't be stingy :lol:

#83 GrilledWitOnions

GrilledWitOnions

Thrillhouse!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:52 AM

Ah, interesting. I have a modded usb cuecat, and after reading around thought that it had to be modded to send the right numbers - cool that you guys got it to work either way. And I have been entering my movies through the add to collection slide-down for a couple days now - the cat works great (as does the site!)

#84 FRAUD_WHATS_THAT

FRAUD_WHATS_THAT

Oblivion-I'm rich glitch!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:44 AM

fyi for anyone interested in the usb scanners, pretty cheap on ebay. might have a new project if this works with this site - itrackmine? I like the fact that it's on the cloud. excellent for insurance purposes. plus be interesting to put a price tag on my collections, comics, movies, games.
Posted ImageMods are like opinions, everyone has one...

Posted Image

#85 GrilledWitOnions

GrilledWitOnions

Thrillhouse!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:20 AM

fyi for anyone interested in the usb scanners, pretty cheap on ebay. might have a new project if this works with this site - itrackmine? I like the fact that it's on the cloud. excellent for insurance purposes. plus be interesting to put a price tag on my collections, comics, movies, games.

If by usb scanners you mean the cuecats, I bought mine from ebay for about $15 shipped. After I bought it, I saw that the seller had cuecats.com - went there - saw that they sold direct from there for the same price I bought-it-now for ($8.99) but a dollar or two less in shipping. Sorta sucked, but thought I'd let people know about that option.

#86 onapartyrock

onapartyrock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:26 AM

I bought a cheap CCD scanner from ebay, looks like the ones stores use (gun with trigger), I posted info earlier in this thread. I find they work better than the Cuecat.

#87 DiRT_X

DiRT_X

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:04 PM

thanks for the heads-up on game collectorz, i "aquired" myself the pro version, amd it is really cool, I used teh export to HTML feature to put my collection online http://kiremac.mygamesonline.org/ I got free hosting and the free subdomain at www.batcave.net

#88 GuardianE

GuardianE

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:26 PM

I've been using Listal.com, and it's worked pretty well so far. I really like iTrackmine's interface, but it doesn't have some of the exclusive collector's editions I've bought in the past (like Ninja Gaiden Sigma), which is really a bummer.

If there were a way to import from Listal.com, that would be amazing.

Edited by GuardianE, 18 January 2010 - 08:47 PM.

My name is in your Resident Evil 5 manual. ;)

#89 onapartyrock

onapartyrock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2010 - 04:27 AM

I've been using Listal.com, and it's worked pretty well so far. I really like iTrackmine's interface, but it doesn't have some of the exclusive collector's editions I've bought in the past (like Ninja Gaiden Sigma), which is really a bummer.

If there were a way to import from Listal.com, that would be amazing.

I took a quick look at listal.com; not for me at all, but I did notice in the about section that it does have a export feature. If you can't import in to itrackmine.com what you have exported from listal.com, send them an email; I have gotten great response from the itrackmine.com crew anytime I had an issue.

I just played around with listal.com, horrible export feature. Only does XML and I don't see a way to import that in to itrackmine.com. Send them an email and if possible a file of your export list so they can see what it looks like, mention this thread as maybe they'll post a solution here to.

For me, the inability to export to a format that you can easily take with you would make me leave listal.com very quickly. I found some very old threads on the listal site that stated

There's also a couple of shareware programs called XMLFox and XML Convert (from same company) that can convert XML into Excel, and map out all the categories and tags accordingly, but those programs also need a bit of programmer's touch to get working properly.

so it looks like listal has no desire to make it easy for you.

#90 onapartyrock

onapartyrock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:20 AM

I started a thread at listal.com got what looks like positive response to add better export. link

If your serious about using itrackmine send them a note, maybe they'd be able to get something going for you if listal is popular enough.