Official GameCube Repair Thread

Moxio

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
I think this should be stickied.
Official GameCube Repair Thread

******BEFORE YOU BEGIN.

**********WE WILL NOT ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU BREAK YOUR NINTENDO GAMECUBE DURING THIS PROCESS. ALL ACTIONS YOU TAKE WITH YOUR GAMECUBE ARE YOUR OWN RESPONSIBILITY.**********

How can you tell your GameCube is in need of repairs/cleaning?

-When you start up your GameCube with a game inside, it doesn't read the game (better known as the infamous Disc-Read-Error [DRE]).
-Your game keeps "crashing" while in play.
-Your GameCube is making scratching sounds while in play.
-Your GameCube is generating more heat that normal.

How can you fix your GameCube with as few tools and as little money as possible?

This thread was made to guide people whose GameCubes have broken. Here, we will supply...

-FAQs on how to fix your GCN.
-Places where you can purchase the tools needed.
-Advice from people who have firsthandedly fixed their GCN.

Guides to fix your GCN

A member of GameFAQs.com has kindly generated a full FAQ on how to fix your GameCube with a GameBit.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/game/915781.html

Navigate down to Lens Calibration Guide.

People over at Planet GameCube Forums have designed a guide for a different type of GameCube disc read errors. This error consists of a broken CD spindle.

http://www.planetgamecube.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=9&threadid=7918&STARTPAGE=2

UPDATE: 12/29/05

If you need videos, UltimateConsoleGuides has a HUGE amount of fixit videos and articles! These come at a price, however.

http://www.ultimateconsoleguides.com/gamecube.htm

Places where to purchase a GameBit
*Prices do not include shipping

Play-Asia.com
$14.99

NCSXShop.com
$4.85

^^BEST DEAL^^

Lik-Sang.com
$14.99

Jandaman.com
$11.95

Ebay GameBits
Various Prices

Advice From Fellow CAG Members

MOXIO:
- Make sure to have all the tools you need (GameBit, socketed longbarrel screwdriver, etc.) before you begin the repair. This way, you won't have to leave to find another screwdriver, leaving your GCN unattended.
- If you have shaky hands, you may want someone else to fix your GCN for you. You can't afford to make costly mistakes.
- Make sure that when you take screws out, DO NOT LOSE THEM. Place them in a spot you will remember to get them, and keep them organized.

Feel free to contribute what you know to this thread! Help us to help you, CAGs!

I got my gamebit that I ordered on thursday today, fixed my black gamecube using the gamefaqs guide, but I managed to lose a screw connecting the fan. Oh well, as long as it holds together I'll be fine.

this would be a great sticky, mods. Hopefully this will never be an issue that I have to read in any great depth, but I imagine this would be a great help for many.

[quote name='My Name Is BoB']I'll do a picture guide if anyone wants me to.[/quote]

that would actually be awesome. i would like to see how it's done.

My near-launch GameCube is acting up and every game will not load anymore. No more SSBM or PSO while I attempt to fix the system. :(

The picture guide would be useful, though. Thanks.

Well, I was gonna fix another one, but I lost my gamebit somehow, and I had to order another one. I'm going out of town next week, so it will get done sometime after then.

Mine "broke" last week. I had one of the systems with a messed up opening button. Then all of a sudden the thing got stuff and i couldn't close the system. So i pushed done on the button more, held it for a minute and it was fixxed. Now it looks better than new because the button is no longer slanted.

I was one of the lucky one's that failed in month 11. Nintendo installed a new DVD drive. Hopefully it is a drive that does not have the issue.

So why is it hard to make a reliable DVD drive? All 3 systems this gen have had issues.

mine laser was beyond repair, i did the recalibration thing and it wouldnt work. discs could be read at 400ohms but no more and no less, and it could only be read for like a minute or until excessive loads in the game... ended up selling it at gamerush for 27$ and buying a new one from ebgames for 99

[quote name='munch']my reset button is now permanently stuck down. does anyone know of an easy way to fix this problem?[/QUOTE]

How did that happen? If no one can find a fix for you, I'll buy it off of you if you don't want it.

[quote name='My Name Is BoB']How did that happen? If no one can find a fix for you, I'll buy it off of you if you don't want it.[/QUOTE]

i just pressed it and it stayed there. i looked at it last night and it was fixed, so i have no worries. it still played fine, though. i had no intentions of selling it.

For some reason my GameCube just isn't working. I put a game in, and turn the system on, but the disc doesn't spin. So I don't think I should classify the problem as a DRE, but I'm not really sure. Has anyone had, or heard of, this problem before?

[quote name='darkcrawlspace']For some reason my GameCube just isn't working. I put a game in, and turn the system on, but the disc doesn't spin. So I don't think I should classify the problem as a DRE, but I'm not really sure. Has anyone had, or heard of, this problem before?[/QUOTE]

this is a dre...I fix GC's all the time....to those that have a working cube and to those attempting to fix...the key is the little noise the GC makes when it is powering/spinning up a disc...you will hear the little whirl/beep noise if it is reading correctly...

dark...try the guide trust me...In fact I just fixed one last week that did the exact same thing...in addition to the tools above...the tiniest phillips screwdriver is important too....and I will warn you...there are lots of those little tiny bastages!! :)

i let my friend borrow my gamecube a few days ago and he had it running fine till today.

he said that if he turns it on with the controller plugged in, the game doesn't spin. but if he turns it on without the controller, it runs just fine, till you plug a controller in, then it stops.

any tips?

Hmm, so basically with the faqs, I could fix a broken gamecube bought on eBay? Also, the planetgamecube link is broken.

I updated the guide. Changed the hideous orange to white, removed/added links, etc.

To Psyc: Perhaps. If the error is SPECIFICALLY DRE, there's a chance. However the seller could have tried fixing it to no avail, so if you buy it, there's nothing you can do.

To Larsin: Strange. If you're willing to take apart the GCN, I could see what I could do.

the gamefaqs fix does work. but in my experience, its a temporary fix.

people, it is $50 (shipped!!) to send it to nintendo for repair. well worth it, especially if you have a first gen system and want to preserve the component output.

Also, I'll save you the trouble. you cant buy a new GC and replace the dvd drive in the 1st gen systems. they don't fit. I already tried. :)

My GC is doing the same thing. It will not spin - just says insert GC disk. :)

I will try to Gamefaqs guide and see if that works.

Matthew

Is there anyway to check spinner? I think that's my problems. Don't really want it to lose this cube because it has the Digital AV out.

Edit: Never mine pretty much killed it now.

When I press the POWER button, the orange light turns on and immediately off but the fan keeps spinning. It's needless to say that it doesn't play games at all since it doesn't even show the main menu now. Is there any way i can fix this without sending my GC to Nintendo ?

I know this is a "Fix your GC topic", but is there a place to "Clean my GC"? Like taking it apart, soaking it with soap or something, and screwing it back together so its not all dusty and gooey from stickers?

Compressed air and Goo Gone. Soaking things doesn't work in 90% of cases, especially if all you're going to soak it in is water/soap water.

You could spend the money on a new case, but generally those are for... other purposes, and thus have a larger lid. They're also nearly as much as a used Cube would run you.

I have had the Reset button and the Open button jam. They have been jammed for months. I can't reset the game or shut the case. I jsut put some game cases on top of the case to keep it closed. I think some soda or sugar got in there and jammed it. I don't really want to open up my GC. Does anyone know hoe to fix this. Here is a crappy pic to show you what I mean.
4565f73d.jpg
[/IMG]

The pic probably doesn't work so here is a link.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/puggy55/4565f73d.jpg

Use a tool built for the screw that the gamecube has. Nintendo sells them or a mod site. Or, you could take a pen cap, and a lighter and melt it so that it forms around the head of the screw. Instandt free screwdriver :)

[quote name='Riyonuk']Use a tool built for the screw that the gamecube has. Nintendo sells them or a mod site. Or, you could take a pen cap, and a lighter and melt it so that it forms around the head of the screw. Instandt free screwdriver :)[/quote]
Thats so ghetto son. I m a try it right now

Your actually going to attempt it? Haha dont hurt yourself. Maybe you could use a candle :p or I think any pen cap will do, the real cheap ones work.

[quote name='Genocidal']I don't know if I'd attempt it personally; if you screw it up badly then you won't be able to open your Cube up.[/quote]
I don't really care if my GC doesn't work anymore if I fuck up since Wii is just around the corner with it's backwards compatibility.

I bought my gamecube back to Hong Kong (asia) and it works once and all of the sudden is smell the burning and it burned out. can i just get a new adaptor and the machine will work or... its the whole thing RIP???? HELPPP and if i get a Hong Kong ac adapter for the game cube will it works???????

HELPPPPPP !!

my gamecube broke 4 years old i need it repaired so i can have a system, hey if i cant get it fix than fu*k gamecube and bring out a wii, but i will really want to play super smash bros. melee

Got a question on something I just noticed with my Gamecube. During gameplay, if I play over a hour, the system starts making a clicking noise. Now the only one that it really affects is Metroid Prime, but that's cause it's resurfaced, and freezes up. Is this a sign of it dying?

I need to know, cause I've still got a 1 year warranty from GS that I can swap the system out with.

Greetings.

I am hoping someone here can help me.
I ordered a new lens for this GC as I was getting the standard read errors, etc that older GC's get.

Now, the disk wont spin up, or spin at all.
I have checked all connections over and over again...I am about to toss this thing and return the laser part.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

[quote name='Incandescent']Greetings.

I am hoping someone here can help me.
I ordered a new lens for this GC as I was getting the standard read errors, etc that older GC's get.

Now, the disk wont spin up, or spin at all.
I have checked all connections over and over again...I am about to toss this thing and return the laser part.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.[/quote]

Do you have the wires connected right? If so, sounds like a bad spinner.

I have a Cube that has started to freeze with a loud buzzing noise. It will even do it when the system is still in the dashboard. It's not a bad memory card as it will still freeze when it's not inserted. I'm guess it is heat related as it will load the discs fine until it has run ~10 min. I opened it up and it was spotless inside as far as dust contamination.

Any ideas on what damage to look for? I didn't find any obvious bad areas on the pcb or components.

If I were to just send my GCN to Nintendo for repair due to a dead lazer, would they just tighten the lazer on the GCN- or would they actually replace it with a new one? I'm willing to go through with that for a new lazer in the system, but not for a no-effort job.

Thanks.

bread's done
Back