Official GameCube Repair Thread

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#31 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:35 PM

Compressed air and Goo Gone. Soaking things doesn't work in 90% of cases, especially if all you're going to soak it in is water/soap water.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#32 heydonovan

heydonovan

Perfectionist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:00 AM

Maybe a new case or a custom case?
Posted Image

#33 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:07 AM

You could spend the money on a new case, but generally those are for... other purposes, and thus have a larger lid. They're also nearly as much as a used Cube would run you.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#34 DungDude0

DungDude0

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2006 - 08:03 PM

I have had the Reset button and the Open button jam. They have been jammed for months. I can't reset the game or shut the case. I jsut put some game cases on top of the case to keep it closed. I think some soda or sugar got in there and jammed it. I don't really want to open up my GC. Does anyone know hoe to fix this. Here is a crappy pic to show you what I mean.
[IMG]http://[IMG]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/puggy55/4565f73d.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]

The pic probably doesn't work so here is a link.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/puggy55/4565f73d.jpg

#35 snakeyes0101

snakeyes0101

Posted 14 August 2006 - 04:29 PM

Ok an easier question : what is the cheapest way to open up my GC besides smashing it open ?

#36 heydonovan

heydonovan

Perfectionist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2006 - 04:42 PM

Use a tool built for the screw that the gamecube has. Nintendo sells them or a mod site. Or, you could take a pen cap, and a lighter and melt it so that it forms around the head of the screw. Instandt free screwdriver :)
Posted Image

#37 snakeyes0101

snakeyes0101

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:24 AM

Use a tool built for the screw that the gamecube has. Nintendo sells them or a mod site. Or, you could take a pen cap, and a lighter and melt it so that it forms around the head of the screw. Instandt free screwdriver :)

Thats so ghetto son. I m a try it right now

#38 snakeyes0101

snakeyes0101

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:31 PM

BTW, is there a special kind of or brand of pen that works best for this ?

#39 heydonovan

heydonovan

Perfectionist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:38 PM

Your actually going to attempt it? Haha dont hurt yourself. Maybe you could use a candle :p or I think any pen cap will do, the real cheap ones work.
Posted Image

#40 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2006 - 10:41 PM

I don't know if I'd attempt it personally; if you screw it up badly then you won't be able to open your Cube up.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png

#41 snakeyes0101

snakeyes0101

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:08 PM

I don't know if I'd attempt it personally; if you screw it up badly then you won't be able to open your Cube up.

I don't really care if my GC doesn't work anymore if I Fuck up since Wii is just around the corner with it's backwards compatibility.

#42 snakeyes0101

snakeyes0101

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:22 PM

IT WORKED !!! Now I just have to find a way to fix it :)

#43 cheerboy0506

cheerboy0506

Posted 16 September 2006 - 07:56 AM

I bought my gamecube back to Hong Kong (asia) and it works once and all of the sudden is smell the burning and it burned out. can i just get a new adaptor and the machine will work or... its the whole thing RIP???? HELPPP and if i get a Hong Kong ac adapter for the game cube will it works???????

HELPPPPPP !!

#44 totalkone

totalkone

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:28 PM

my gamecube broke 4 years old i need it repaired so i can have a system, hey if i cant get it fix than fu*k gamecube and bring out a wii, but i will really want to play super smash bros. melee

#45 tangytangerine

tangytangerine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:39 PM

Got a question on something I just noticed with my Gamecube. During gameplay, if I play over a hour, the system starts making a clicking noise. Now the only one that it really affects is Metroid Prime, but that's cause it's resurfaced, and freezes up. Is this a sign of it dying?

I need to know, cause I've still got a 1 year warranty from GS that I can swap the system out with.

#46 Incandescent

Incandescent

Posted 02 November 2006 - 04:38 AM

Greetings.

I am hoping someone here can help me.
I ordered a new lens for this GC as I was getting the standard read errors, etc that older GC's get.

Now, the disk wont spin up, or spin at all.
I have checked all connections over and over again...I am about to toss this thing and return the laser part.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

#47 tangytangerine

tangytangerine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:35 PM

Greetings.

I am hoping someone here can help me.
I ordered a new lens for this GC as I was getting the standard read errors, etc that older GC's get.

Now, the disk wont spin up, or spin at all.
I have checked all connections over and over again...I am about to toss this thing and return the laser part.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Do you have the wires connected right? If so, sounds like a bad spinner.

#48 Kagath

Kagath

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:31 AM

I have a Cube that has started to freeze with a loud buzzing noise. It will even do it when the system is still in the dashboard. It's not a bad memory card as it will still freeze when it's not inserted. I'm guess it is heat related as it will load the discs fine until it has run ~10 min. I opened it up and it was spotless inside as far as dust contamination.

Any ideas on what damage to look for? I didn't find any obvious bad areas on the pcb or components.

#49 Porygon

Porygon

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:33 AM

If I were to just send my GCN to Nintendo for repair due to a dead lazer, would they just tighten the lazer on the GCN- or would they actually replace it with a new one? I'm willing to go through with that for a new lazer in the system, but not for a no-effort job.

Thanks.

#50 bmulligan

bmulligan

I am a free man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2007 - 03:44 AM

If I were to just send my GCN to Nintendo for repair due to a dead lazer, would they just tighten the lazer on the GCN- or would they actually replace it with a new one? I'm willing to go through with that for a new lazer in the system, but not for a no-effort job.

Thanks.

Who knows, they might just replace your Gamecube with an already refurbished model. There's no way to tell. The laser "recalibration" technique is a good one to try, though.

A lot of people who are complaining about non-spinning disks probably don't have bad motors, they just have unreadable disks due to an underpowered laser, dirty lens, or bad lens spring. Once the laser output has been increased, it will usually trigger a feedback loop to engage the spindle motor. Try it, what have you got to lose?

Just make sure you adjust in very small increments, and remember, it might not work the first time.

The Neo-Communist Manifesto: "In your mind freedom is an end in and of itself. In my mind freedom is a means of improving society and giving people a better life. Those ideas result in very different methods of running society. " - alonzomourning23

bmulligan.png<------GOOZEX ?    Goozex is dead.

#51 Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:57 PM

Today my gamecube died :(
Currently Playing: Call of Duty 4, Team Fortress 2 (PC)

Intel Q6600@3.6~2x1GB DDR2800 OCZ Gold (4-4-4-12)~eVGA 8800GTX~Seagate 320GB 7200.1~eVGA 650i~Antec TruPower Trio 650w~BenQ Dual Layer DVD~Abit WiFi AirPace~KWORLD PlusTV HD PCI~Logitech MX518~Saitek Eclipse~Plantronics Audio 350~BenQ 22" Widescreen~

"Rep = reputation point, also known as an E-penis extension."

#52 biohazard1

biohazard1

Posted 25 June 2007 - 07:39 AM

hi my controller work but it keep stopping now it dont work at all wht should i do

#53 Hibiwa

Hibiwa

Blue Exorcist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2007 - 04:39 AM

Hope I won't need to use this great reference thread, but a few questions:

1. Were early Cubes with digital out more likely to die?

2. What problems were associated with these particular units?

3. Would NOA fix it if I'm not the original owner?

#54 Firebomber

Firebomber

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:55 AM

My gamecube was working perfectly one day and then the next i tried to tunr it on but there was a blank screen. The light turns on and i can hear the fan running but the disc doesnt spin and the screen in blank. Anyone know how i can fix this? I really dont want to pay $50+ to have it fixed by nintendo. thanks

#55 tickdude

tickdude

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:57 PM

Bought a gamebit on fleaBay and opened the ol' GC up. Turned the potensiometer ever so slightly counter-clockwise and VOILA - the laser lens is apparently recalibrated. Now, disks are being read again at startup (no more DRE's!). Used the instructions found here and here.

Here's the location of the potensiometer on the back of the disc circuit board (circled in red):
Posted Image

If you are having problems with your discs not being read at startup (the GC will tell you that there is no disc in the drive), you really should try calibrating the lens.

Good luck!

#56 tickdude

tickdude

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2007 - 11:00 PM

My gamecube was working perfectly one day and then the next i tried to tunr it on but there was a blank screen. The light turns on and i can hear the fan running but the disc doesnt spin and the screen in blank. Anyone know how i can fix this? I really dont want to pay $50+ to have it fixed by nintendo. thanks

New platinum GC at amazon costs $50.

#57 Casiotech

Casiotech

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:27 PM

I wonder if you recalibrate the laser too strongly, can it damage the disc?

#58 PhrProfess

PhrProfess

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:49 AM

To those with DREs whose discs won't spin: a solution—

I've just discovered personally, through trial and error, that if one tweaks the potensiometer even just a little bit too far then the disc will stop spinning. If your disc doesn't spin anymore, it might just be that your laser is out of range and that your motor is actually fine.

My situation was that I had a working console, but was just starting to get DREs again, mid-game. From this I reasoned that the time to make another potensiometer adjustment was nearing. I opened up the box, made an adjustment, and closed 'er all up again (sans screws) to test. I'd forgotten that I could simply hold down the two little prongs in the back-right corner to fool the console into thinking it had its top on, and that I didn't need to replace any of the panels or the cover—and so that's how I was testing for adjustments at first.

After about four tries, I noticed I wasn't getting anywhere. I also noticed that my discs weren't even spinning anymore, no matter which one I used. At first I thought that I'd gone and fubar'd my console, and made a big mistake of some sort—but then I discovered that I'd just fallen into a trap that I'd set for myself. The trap was this: If one adjusts the potensiometer, still gets a DRE, and tries to turn it again a little further (thinking that this is the solution)—it just might be that the potentiometer's been tweaked too far already the first time. To continue turning it might be pushing it even further away from where it needs to be. This is an easy trap to fall into if one replaces the cover in between each test-run, because in doing so one wouldn't even notice that the disc has stopped spinning altogether (provided that it did to begin with, of course).

Anyway, I eventually boiled the process down to an efficient science that allowed me to complete a casual adjust-and-test cycle every forty-five seconds or so (by not replacing anything in between test-runs—no screws, front/back/side panels, or even the cover), and came to learn that I had the potensio' turned about 180° too far. T minus two hours in, I finally got it right and saw the disc spin with the cover open (and my fingers on the two-pronged cover-sensor). My insides lit-up and I got all of my energy back! After all was said and done, I'd performed about 15-20 guess-and-checks.

I am just here to pass along my notes to those with DREs, because if your disc isn't spinning then it might not be a motor problem but rather one to do with that pesky laser. I suggest you that follow the guide on Gamefaqs (GreyRainCloud's Lens Calibration Guide, under GameCube FAQs), and make a series of positive and negative adjustments until you get it right.

#59 lurknomore

lurknomore

Selling my stuff....

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:59 PM

I never knew that GCN's could break down. Mine is still ticking....now, if I could only find a GCN component cable.

#60 gillianreynolds

gillianreynolds

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:04 AM

Does the fan come on?
Does the Laser Move/Turn On?
Does the power light come on?

I Had a problem where My Fan worked, the laser did nothing and the spindle did nothing and the power light just flashed on/off. Turned out I had blown the fuse while doing an LED mod (the 2 legs of my LED connected while with power on to the GC). The fuse is a small 5amp surface mount that sits right next to where the power line connects to the board under the motherboard. I could not find a place to get these fuses so I just temporarilly jumped this with a solder bridge (Yeah a hack but it works for now until I can locate the correct fuse).

-----------------------------------------------------------
Thankshotels in prague

Hopefully this helps you, Thanks!:hot:

Edited by gillianreynolds, 30 May 2011 - 09:35 AM.