Please recommend a 500 point NES game

basketb

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I still need to burn the 500 points I got back for the Wii internet browser on a NES game. What NES game would you recommend for a non-hardcore gamer who likes sports, racing and mini games (or any game that can be played with a preschooler)?
(if it helps, I've never played any of the offered NES games)

[quote name='basketb']What NES game would you recommend for a non-hardcore gamer who likes sports, racing and mini games (or any game that can be played with a preschooler)?[/QUOTE]

Bubble Bobble?

This is a great arcade game conversion. You are a cute little dinosaur who runs around and captures enemies by blowing bubbles onto them. Trap all your enemies, then touch the bubbles to pop them and move to the next level!

Pros: terrific two player mode; classic arcade gameplay; easy to learn but tough to master.
Cons: not related to sports/racing; might be a bit tough for your preschooler to get the hang of (maybe not though, I was playing similar games at 5).

Punch-Out!!?

The classic boxing game. Test your timing and reflexes as you have to react to pattern-based attacks. Learn to dodge, defend, and fight back as you move up through the circuits until you challenge Mr Dream for the championship.

Pros: simple controls would allow anyone to play; colorful and unique characters; classic gameplay still holds up (and is actually very similar to the recent Wii game); sporting theme.
Cons: difficulty level increases very quickly; repetitive, relies heavily on experimentation and memorization.

Blades of Steel?

One of the most popular NES hockey games, and one that brings back a lot of nostalgia for older gamers. Take your team through to championship by combining tough defence with quick and accurate offense, and don't be afraid to get your hands dirty fighting once in a while. (Bonus: there is a great mini-game at halftime.)

Pros: still a fun hockey game, despite being very simple; very nostalgic; sporting theme.
Cons: if you haven't already played then nostalgia doesn't help; maybe too simple to be worth playing; probably not a reasonable choice for a preschooler.

I bought Super Mario Bros. 2.

But wait a tic, you've never played any of the games offered? You go and buy Super Mario Bros. 3 NOW mister.

[quote name='maximumzero']But wait a tic, you've never played any of the games offered? You go and buy Super Mario Bros. 3 NOW mister.[/QUOTE]

Hard to argue against this recommendation... it is still a pretty awesome game today.

I too need to get a 500 pt NES game, though I'm having a hard time finding the "One Free Game Title" Button. I got the message on my Wii from Nintendo saying that it is located at the top of the Shop Channel yet I can not find it ANYWHERE in the damn Shop Channel, am I just stupid?

[quote name='MidnightMetal']I too need to get a 500 pt NES game, though I'm having a hard time finding the "One Free Game Title" Button. I got the message on my Wii from Nintendo saying that it is located at the top of the Shop Channel yet I can not find it ANYWHERE in the damn Shop Channel, am I just stupid?[/QUOTE]

You really cannot miss it. It should be to the left of the "add more wii points" button near the bottom of the screen. It is a pretty big button. If you do not see it, maybe you should shoot an email over to Nintendo Customer Support.

I got Super Mario Bros. 3 for my free game.

[quote name='MidnightMetal']I too need to get a 500 pt NES game, though I'm having a hard time finding the "One Free Game Title" Button. I got the message on my Wii from Nintendo saying that it is located at the top of the Shop Channel yet I can not find it ANYWHERE in the damn Shop Channel, am I just stupid?[/QUOTE]

I hate to be that guy, but you *did* spend 500 points on the Internet Channel at some point, right? If you didn't, there isn't going to be a button.

I got the message from them, too (twice, in fact), and I got the Internet Channel for free. Kind of a tease.

Thanks for all the suggestions. In the end I've decided on Donkey Kong :).

Quick reminder for everybody who also purchased the Wii internet browser. Today is the last day to claim the free NES game

[quote name='basketb']Thanks for all the suggestions. In the end I've decided on Donkey Kong :).[/QUOTE]

Good choice! I often forget about this game, but have fun playing it in short bursts every now and again. Perfect for arcade nostalgia.
:D

[quote name='databuild']Just curious, but is the 500 only good on a NES game or any 500 pt purchase ie the games from the sega genesis sale[/QUOTE]

Only good for one NES game, man

[quote name='basketb']Thanks for all the suggestions. In the end I've decided on Donkey Kong :).

Quick reminder for everybody who also purchased the Wii internet browser. Today is the last day to claim the free NES game[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reminder, used my free title late on new years eve.

bread's done
Back