Far Cry 2: Fortune's Edition and other Ubisoft games $5 - Amazon Digital Download

ohh okay. I downloaded it because I got a good graphics card, but I need to upgrade my memory, i only got 1gb of ram.

I would advise buying Crysis or Far Cry 1 instead. Both are better games, and are designed for PC, as opposed to FC2 which is a console port.

[quote name='dabamus']I would advise buying Crysis or Far Cry 1 instead. Both are better games, and are designed for PC, as opposed to FC2 which is a console port.[/QUOTE]

But this is $5.

[quote name='dabamus']You can find far cry 1 for that now, I'm sure.[/QUOTE]

I think Ubisoft released Farcry 1 for free provided you watched some ads before playing.

[quote name='emnmnme']I think Ubisoft released Farcry 1 for free provided you watched some ads before playing.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I believe they did. Same with Ghost Recon. it was only for a limited time afaik.

It's $9.99 for FC1 on Steam and GOG, but it's worth it compared to Far Cry 2. I hated FC2, but I loved FC1 and Crysis.

[quote name='dabamus']Yes, I believe they did. Same with Ghost Recon. it was only for a limited time afaik.

It's $9.99 for FC1 on Steam and GOG, but it's worth it compared to Far Cry 2. I hated FC2, but I loved FC1 and Crysis.[/QUOTE]

If you were to get FC1 on steam you might as well wait for their holiday sale. Ubisoft (so far) has been a big fan of steam sales and i have no doubt it would be cheaper then.

Does anybody know what kind of DRM this uses? Am I limited to a number of installs? Or a number of concurrent installations? Or do I need to be online to play? Most importantly, can I download it any time and as many times as I want? There's so many factors with DRM nowadays.

[quote name='Mikerrrr']Does anybody know what kind of DRM this uses? Am I limited to a number of installs? Or a number of concurrent installations? Or do I need to be online to play? Most importantly, can I download it any time and as many times as I want? There's so many factors with DRM nowadays.[/QUOTE]

Ditto! I've only ever used Steam to buy digital games. I'm not sure how Amazon works.

Glad to see people buying this. I would agree with what other said, its only 5 bucks and its not a bad game at all. It good very good ratings in alot of sites so I dont know why people complain about this.

I have far cry 2 and want to enjoy playing it, but the enemy respawn rates totally suck the enjoyment out of it.

as for installs, I know with other amazon games, you can install on multiple computers, don't know if ubi has a separate arrangement worked out.

Far cry 2 was a major let down for me. you spend most of your time traveling from one side of the map to the other. Hope you like driving because you will be doing a lot of it. can only pick up one mission at a time. weapon selection is limited. mod community is almost non-existant. a few bugs still (mostly AI and colission detec). the malaria... just a pain in the kumquat. Camo suit is a waste of money imho.

on the plus. it is a very pretty game. the little dune-buggy is fun to drive. at least it is bringing some attention to africa. if you are into "sniping" tactics, then you will do fine through most of the game. it's cheap (now). Game does last a while (see reasons why above).

for all of this. i would recomend it for the $5.

[quote name='vherub']I have far cry 2 and want to enjoy playing it, but the enemy respawn rates totally suck the enjoyment out of it.[/QUOTE] I thought this too until the idea of how devoid the game would be if the enemys DIDN'T respaw. sure you lay the same guard post to waste one-hundred times over but at least it's something to do while you are out driving.

I bit, Far Cry 2 isn't the greatest game ever but I had some fun with the 360 version awhile back. Definitely worth $5 to me.

Amazon is the most annoying digital download platform. Both their unbox and game digital platforms have to load from memory at the start of windows or you can't run the programs.

Just a FYI.

[quote name='Diad']Far cry 2 was a major let down for me. you spend most of your time traveling from one side of the map to the other. Hope you like driving because you will be doing a lot of it. can only pick up one mission at a time. weapon selection is limited. mod community is almost non-existant. a few bugs still (mostly AI and colission detec). the malaria... just a pain in the kumquat. Camo suit is a waste of money imho.[/QUOTE]Me, too. It kills me that this is $5 now (and has been before) when I dropped $50 for it the day it came out and rapidly got bored of driving all the hell over the map, watching the GPS for diamonds, etc. The level editor was sheer genius and should've spawn a rich online community, but noooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Would it be possible for the nimrods who can't stop sneering, "It's a console port," at every game which has the misfortune of being released on both consoles and PC to shut the fucking fuck up?!?!??:bomb: I swear, there are few things stupider that I have to read on teh Intarwebz than this specious drivel. No matter how customizable the controls are; no matter how much higher resolution the graphics are or faster the load times; no matter whether it can be modded or not; any time a game launches on console and PC, the morons are out in force bitching that whatever game it is is somehow defective because it exists on consoles, too. Was Fallout 3 "just a port"? How about The Orange Box? Hmmmm?

While there have been some bad examples of lazy publishers porting the PS2 version of games (when there were PS3/X360 versions with better visuals) and some games are so half-assed on the PC - I'm looking at you FEAR 2: Project Origin and your inability to bind mouse side buttons and generally stupid key layout - that it almost lends credibility to the whiners complaints; automatically dismissing the PC version of a multi-platform game as "just a port" is a sign that the poster is more interested in being dismissive than intelligent.

[quote name='DirkBelig']Me, too. It kills me that this is $5 now (and has been before) when I dropped $50 for it the day it came out and rapidly got bored of driving all the hell over the map, watching the GPS for diamonds, etc. The level editor was sheer genius and should've spawn a rich online community, but noooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Would it be possible for the nimrods who can't stop sneering, "It's a console port," at every game which has the misfortune of being released on both consoles and PC to shut the fucking fuck up?!?!??:bomb: I swear, there are few things stupider that I have to read on teh Intarwebz than this specious drivel. No matter how customizable the controls are; no matter how much higher resolution the graphics are or faster the load times; no matter whether it can be modded or not; any time a game launches on console and PC, the morons are out in force bitching that whatever game it is is somehow defective because it exists on consoles, too. Was Fallout 3 "just a port"? How about The Orange Box? Hmmmm?

While there have been some bad examples of lazy publishers porting the PS2 version of games (when there were PS3/X360 versions with better visuals) and some games are so half-assed on the PC - I'm looking at you FEAR 2: Project Origin and your inability to bind mouse side buttons and generally stupid key layout - that it almost lends credibility to the whiners complaints; automatically dismissing the PC version of a multi-platform game as "just a port" is a sign that the poster is more interested in being dismissive than intelligent.[/QUOTE]

Firstly, :applause:...This game is actually one of the prettier games from 2008 for PC and I found it fun and open-ended, so I don't get that sentiment either, and I can't stand that sort of mentality about games in general, that "Meh, elitest yadda yadda, I only play 7% of games that are released" when a game that 4 out of 5 people enjoyed, sometimes that one person isn't criticizing it for taste, but for what they deem quality. I'm the other way around. I don't like turn based games, but like hell I'm not gonna slap a "shitty" label on KOTOR because it's partially turn based. I will give credit where due, and say a game's not my style (I like fully real time only I've learned)....So, just adding to your rant I guess, and I know I'm cynical in other areas of life, so I'm far from perfect...

Secondly, I played and beat the first Far Cry 3 times on multiple computers ever since 2005, I love that game. I see this as having little to do with it because of the play style, and while it's not as good for its time, $5 is worth it.

I just don't have the Fortunes pack, and I'm not sure what the hell's in that, or if it's worth it. Amazon's page had nothing on it (just looked) and reading on the web will tell me what it is, but asking gamers I trust if it's worth it is better, so... But really, for $5, can you really be ripped off much?

[quote name='Casteor']But this is $5.[/QUOTE]

Far Cry 2 might be worth $5 but even that might be a stretch. This game was annoyingly bad.

[quote name='BWS1982']Firstly, :applause:...This game is actually one of the prettier games from 2008 for PC and I found it fun and open-ended, so I don't get that sentiment either, and I can't stand that sort of mentality about games in general, that "Meh, elitest yadda yadda, I only play 7% of games that are released" when a game that 4 out of 5 people enjoyed, sometimes that one person isn't criticizing it for taste, but for what they deem quality. I'm the other way around. I don't like turn based games, but like hell I'm not gonna slap a "shitty" label on KOTOR because it's partially turn based. I will give credit where due, and say a game's not my style (I like fully real time only I've learned)....So, just adding to your rant I guess, and I know I'm cynical in other areas of life, so I'm far from perfect...

Secondly, I played and beat the first Far Cry 3 times on multiple computers ever since 2005, I love that game. I see this as having little to do with it because of the play style, and while it's not as good for its time, $5 is worth it.

I just don't have the Fortunes pack, and I'm not sure what the hell's in that, or if it's worth it. Amazon's page had nothing on it (just looked) and reading on the web will tell me what it is, but asking gamers I trust if it's worth it is better, so... But really, for $5, can you really be ripped off much?[/QUOTE]

Fortune's pack is basically:

4 multiplayer maps
a few new weapons
a few new cars/trucks.

[quote name='Squall835']I absolutely love this game, $5 is a steal.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.
I noticed a lot of people hated FC2, which surprised me, I thought it was great.
It did take me a few hours to get into it. But once I started getting better weapons, the game really hooked me.
A steal for $5.

I've been meaning to get to FC2 for awhile. I got it as a pack in with my GTX260.

I haven't installed it yet, though. Does FC2 still have a disc check? If it does, it might be worth the $5 just not to have to dig out the disc. This would also give me the DLC, that my version doesn't have.

I'm also looking at a new laptop with discrete Nvidia G210 that might run this, but the laptop is a thin/light with no optical drive. This could be something I play on work trips.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MannishBoy']I've been meaning to get to FC2 for awhile. I got it as a pack in with my GTX260.

I haven't installed it yet, though. Does FC2 still have a disc check? If it does, it might be worth the $5 just not to have to dig out the disc. This would also give me the DLC, that my version doesn't have.

I'm also looking at a new laptop with discrete Nvidia G210 that might run this, but the laptop is a thin/light with no optical drive. This could be something I play on work trips.[/QUOTE]

Dug out my disc, installed, upgraded to 1.03, removed the DVD. Game started just fine. Never even had to put in my CD key, which surprised me.

So if I decide I need the DLC, I'll just buy it for $5.

fortunes was free if you had it on steam (i have it there, $15 sale almost a year ago)
d2d seems to be similar, & there's no place to actually 'buy' the dlc by itself anymore (or is there?)

so retail people didnt get the dlc in patch 1.3?

EDIT: mannishboy, have you had it installed before on the same OS? the key would be stored from securom

Aww, darn. I bought the not-Fortunes edition of Far Cry 2 in Best Buy for $5. Now this is $5 WITH Fortunes. Aww poo.

Anyways, Far Cry 2 is really awesome, but it's a certain audience for sure. If you liked STALKER, or the part in Half-Life 2 where your driving in the highway, going from house to house to find ammo and such, then this game's awesome.

You need patience, however. You'll do a LOT of driving. A LOT.

I bought this from Amazon, downloaded it with the Amazon app, no problem. Gives the full install files. Problem is Amazon only provided ONE CD key, and I have no idea if I have the fortune pack installed or not. How do I know for sure? Nothing in the install directory indicates I have the added DLC, nor do I have any mention of it under "Additional Content". When I try to get "promotional content" by entering the CD key given, all I get is a blank dialogue prompt with the okay button.

Some one ?

bread's done
Back