Are new PS2s drying up?

Halo05

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
As I type this I'm kind of wandering e-tailers and noticing that many of them are at least temporarily out of stock when it comes to the systems. Earlier today, I looked around in Walmart and didn't see any of them either. I've also noticed that my favorite import shop, NCSX.com no longer has Japanese PS2s instock.

My paranoia is growing, I don't want to miss the boat on grabbing a spare US and a spare Japanese PS2. Hopefully it's just a holiday shortage. My wallet can't handle having to buy stuff right now.

Judging by the state side whopping 10 or less releases planned i would say its on its way out Sony just has not given it the official boot in the ass yet

I haven't been paying attention myself, but if they are beginning to dwindle I think I better scoop one up. There are plenty of games in the backlog and I'd like to have a backup in case my eight-year old workhorse finally gives up the ghost.

Any of you think of getting a fat model and using a hard drive? I picked up several on the cheap and I think it's the best way to ensure that your PS2 collection doesn't go to waste.

I'll probably pick up a slim one when they're clearanced.

1. The PS2 slim is considered a very reliable console.
2. Over 138 million PS2s have been sold.

The new PS2 market will of course dry up, but I think the used PS2 market will be full of cheap+reliable consoles plus games for a very long time.

I finally bought my first PS2 (used) about six months ago, and I am overwhelmed by the amount of games I have to catch up on.

Random "update" of sorts.

Yesterday I was at Best Buy, they didn't have any PS2s. Earlier today I was at Walmart, they didn't have any either. Amazon still has the 70000 series slim Singstar bundle for $120. I might wind up getting that assuming it is still around once I'm working again.

It's YMMV.
My Wal-Mart still has PS2s, and they are listed as "Active" in our system, but the Shelf Cap is 0 IE we won't get any unless we ask for them through our vendors or we get a random shipment. I think by middle of next year they will come harder to find in new shape unless Sony decides to re-release at $50 or something>?

[quote name='Monsta Mack']It's YMMV.
My Wal-Mart still has PS2s, and they are listed as "Active" in our system, but the Shelf Cap is 0 IE we won't get any unless we ask for them through our vendors or we get a random shipment. I think by middle of next year they will come harder to find in new shape unless Sony decides to re-release at $50 or something>?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if it's the same story for places like Target and Best Buy.

If I wind up getting any sort of giftcards for Christmas I'm going to put them towards a new PS2. My Lego Batman bundle one is barely a year old and runs absolutely flawlessly but I'd really like to have a backup for the future.

[quote name='willardhaven']I can't believe it. They must have a new model coming... or they are finally working on backward compatibility software.[/QUOTE]

Isn't PS2 compatibility or downloadable games on the PSN "Premium" wishlist? I haven't been following that development at all but it does seem that cutting off PS2s would require another method for playing the stacks of PS2 games that most stores I visit still have in stock.

I'm prolly gonna have to get a PS2 myself. Dissapointed I'll have to leave my hard drive for the fat PS2 on the side (Unless I go the used route for a fat PS2) but at the rate I'm buying 360 games I don't see myself buying a PS3 till they add in software emulation/BC for the PS3 cause theres tons of PS2 games I have that I still haven't beat. I'm waiting for $60 or less mark though right now so most likely a clearance of some sort.

I might have to pick one up as well if they're really starting to dwindle. I've been making due without a PS2 since my phat died around the same time I bought my PS3 (which is BC). Still, I'd like to ultimately own a PS2 anyway, especially the ceramic white slim, so I might have to go ahead and get the Singstar bundle, since that seems like a good deal.

My Target just got a couple more black PS2s in. They're the newest revisions that made their US debut last September. They are also available on EBstop's website and most stores around me have them in stock.

My current theory is that the silver 90000 model PS2s are out of production. That's a bit sad, I'd rather get a silver one as my backup system if only because my current PS2 is black. Ah well, another vote for the white one on Amazon perhaps.

Huh. They still sell that Singstar bundle. I might have to grab one soon. I've never owned a PS2 and it'd be great to have it White to match everything else connected to the TV (Wii, 360, DC), the TV itself (This Samsung Here.) and my DS Lite which is also White.

Hmm. I kind of wanted to pick up a backup console before they go away for good, but I was hoping for a $50 price point first. I can't believe they're already out of stock on Amazon. Maybe I'll be able to find a silver one on clearance at some point.

I wouldn't totally count out further updates to the system. I feel like Sony could get some mileage out of a $50-75 Walkman-sized "portable" PS2. Something different enough to entice retro-minded gamers to upgrade. Or maybe this really is the end...

Looks like it's time to grab another one before they're gone. Mine sorta works but won't read all types of discs so I haven't used it in about 4 years. Yes, I cracked the seal and tried adjusting the laser height and that did nothing, so it's something more serious than a minor adjustment. It's cheaper to just buy a used one at GS than to get it repaired.

I don't think Sony can afford to leave the PS2 behind... if they're smart they'll release a fully backwards compatible PS4 or rework it for the PS3. Either that or release a portable/mini model of PS2... why discontinue something with a huge and popular library?

portable ps2 makes no sense since it will cut into sales of psp. There isnt much of a software support, as EA stopped their sport games side from football, and Namco didnt even release the latest Naruto game for USA.

Does the fat PS2 HD store save games? I hate dealing with memory cards now. I do need to pick up a PS2 again one of these days.

[quote name='Blackout']Does the fat PS2 HD store save games? I hate dealing with memory cards now. I do need to pick up a PS2 again one of these days.[/QUOTE]

You can backup the saves to the HDD but can only load them in-game via memory card.

Also yeah, I have old PS2 systems so I had totally forgotten that the PSTwo was small already. I meant portable as in Gamecube PSTwo size.

[quote name='62t']portable ps2 makes no sense since it will cut into sales of psp. There isnt much of a software support, as EA stopped their sport games side from football, and Namco didnt even release the latest Naruto game for USA.[/QUOTE]

Yeah now that you mention it, I forgot that the PSTwo was already good for college students and those with limited space. I don't see why they wouldn't produce more of these.

My local Walmart had three PS2s today along with a slew of PSP Gos. More evidence that they've decided to stop making the silver PS2.

I hope Japan gets some crazy rainbow of colors as its last PS2 hurrah. There is an awesome looking fat PS2 that is a really dark, translucent blue. I'd love for them to make the same color slim PS2. Or a shell that is completely clear.

The best PS2 color I've ever seen is this one:
http://www.consolecolors.com/images/ps2ratchet.jpg
ps2ratchet.jpg

I think we still have a while before production actually stops on PS2s. Even after it does there will be stock around for a while. I was able to buy a couple brand new PS1 slims on clearance at Sears for $10 in 2005. Around that same time I remember there being PS1 slim bundles at Target with 3 crappy games for around $50. At this time there were no longer PS1 games being made as the last one was released in Fall 2004 (Fifa). Once I see a brand new one for under $50 I will bite. My launch PS2 and launch PS3 systems still work fine for me.

Not drying up at my Best Buy, at least the black ones. I took this today:

0105001505.jpg

As an aside, no 120 GB PS3 slims were in stock but they had a ton of 250 GB models. Flop?

Cool. Thanks for the info. I guess the slim pickings right around the holidays were due to people buying them as gifts and whatnot. Not too surprising I suppose. I hope Sony gives some sort of notice about when they're actually stopping production. Back in... I dunno, 2007 or so I wanted to rebuy a new GBA SP only to discover that they had all vanished on me. I got a very nice Micro at a great price but it doesn't help with my regular Gameboy games.

I think Sony did announce the end of production of the PS1, so they'll likely do the same for the PS2. Considering that it's one of the most popular systems of all time, I'd be surprised if they didn't.

[quote name='blueshinra']I think Sony did announce the end of production of the PS1, so they'll likely do the same for the PS2. Considering that it's one of the most popular systems of all time, I'd be surprised if they didn't.[/QUOTE]
They did, and it was big news. It'll be the same when they announce the end of PS2 production.

[quote name='slfc']As an aside, no 120 GB PS3 slims were in stock but they had a ton of 250 GB models. Flop?[/QUOTE]
SONY pushes the 250's harder because they make a better margin.

[quote name='62t']portable ps2 makes no sense since it will cut into sales of psp. There isnt much of a software support, as EA stopped their sport games side from football, and Namco didnt even release the latest Naruto game for USA.[/QUOTE]

EA also released Tiger Woods 2010, Fifa 2010 and NCAA 2010 for PS2, and for now NCAA 2011 and Madden 2011 will be released (no info yet on Tiger Woods or Fifa)

[quote name='cochesecochese']So it looks like Amazon has these back in stock? Is there any way to be sure if they're the 'newest' model?[/QUOTE]

Of course I see this now that they've gone back out of stock but this PS2...

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-2..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1263847278&sr=8-1

Should be the newest version (9xxxxx series). The slim white bundle with Singstar is the original slim model.

I've seen the current ones at several stores. Thankfully it was just some kind of weird holiday rush on systems. About a month until I get a decent job again, they just need to stick around until then :)

I'm awfully tempted to track down a PS2. I've got $30 in Reward Zone certificates and a $25 Visa GC to spend. I was going to get a DSi but maybe a PS2 would be the way to go...hmm.

But according to Best Buy's site they're only in stock in one of the three stores in the area.

Future Shop stores in Western Canada should be getting shipped PS2 controllers, memory cards & SCEA games (Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier, God of War, God of War II & Gran Turismo) soon.

Apparently also Future Shop is trying to get PS2 consoles in, so we may see them back in western Canada stores soon. That's all I know for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harder to find at some Retail stores. Easy to find the accessories and games though. My PS2 (90000 Model) I got as a gift last year came from GameStop.

Amazon has both the black ps2 slim and the white singstar bundle marked as discontinued by manufacturer. Figures, mine just started crapping out on me today.

I only saw 2 black ps2 slims at my Walmart yesterday. Dont know if they have any more in back. Might have to pick one up for a back-up if they really are discontinued.

[quote name='mitch079']Saw the Singstar bundle clearanced at a Target today. I think it was 60 something.[/QUOTE]

Holy shit...I didn't even realize they were still in stores. I really would love to have a white PS2.

I might have to stop by on the way home from work today to see if there's any there, though I seriously doubt it.

[quote name='mitch079']Saw the Singstar bundle clearanced at a Target today. I think it was 60 something.[/QUOTE]

60 something for a new ps2? maybe i'll go looking this weekend.

Im looking for a new playstation 2 for my kids to play. Do you know if they still make them and do you think it would be worth picking up one. How long are they going to make games for it. Im going with the PS2 because theres alot of older games that they like and its cheap... Any information would be great.. Thanks

Well, according to Amazon they have already stopped making the system. Check Walmarts and Targets and such, you can probably find one.

As for the games ... I wouldn't expect many more new games at all, but there are plenty of older games that are very good (and cheap)

The ratchet and clank trilogy (not counting deadlocked which is basicaly a shooter - not a bad thing, just different from the rest of the games, and Size Matters supposadely had issues on the PS2), jak and daxter trilogy, sly cooper trilogy, god of war 1 & 2 (depending on how old your kids are obviously), grand theft auto games (again depending, and san andreas is the best), beyond good and evil, there are a bunch more depending on what they like.

I would say it is worth getting one, PS2 has one of the strongest game lineups. But this depends on your kids too, I know my nephew is obsessed with graphics. as are a lot of little kids I imagine. He wont play anything other than shooters so 360 is the best system for him.

There are a ton of great games out there for less than $10. I would recommend God of War or the Devil May Cry series, seconded of Beyond Good and Evil, Sly Cooper, and Jak and Daxter. If you are in to JRPGs, I recommend Tales of the Abyss. There are plenty of decent sports games and if you don't mind slightly older ones, you can pick them up incredibly cheaply.

[quote name='Kaoz']Well, according to Amazon they have already stopped making the system.[/QUOTE]

Whoa! When the hell did this happen? I don't follow the gaming news sites heavily but I don't remember there being an announcement that they were discontinuing the system. I checked BB site and they didn't have them either.

Seems monumentally idiotic since the PS3 isn't backwards compatible anymore. I really hope they change their tune cause it would really suck to have my PS2 eventually give up the ghost and have the $100s of games I own become irrelevant...

bread's done
Back