- - - - -

Guild Wars Trilogy (PC) - $15

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 _k1_

_k1_

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:44 AM

http://www.bestbuy.c...ilogy&lp=1&cp=1

This is normally $50. It includes all three chapters (Prophecies, Factions, Nightfall).

Guild Wars is an MMO, but there is no monthly fee -- the box price is all you have to pay. There is also a free trial available

--
:ps4: Wolfenstein| :ps3: DWGR | :360: nothing|  :vita: HN:PP| :pc: Random|  :3ds: ACNL,BD:FF| :ps2: nothing| :psp: nothing|  :wii: nothing 

#2 CoffeeEdge

CoffeeEdge

Resident Communaut

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:45 AM

Thanks.
Hi...

DID SOMEBODY SAY "TOOT"?!?
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image I WILL MOTHERF--KING BAN THE F--KING SHIT OUT OF YOU Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 ProggleRock

ProggleRock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:48 AM

Holy balls. I bought all of them for like $30 each and played it for a month. :(

I might've been a little trigger happy back then.

#4 dcm1602

dcm1602

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:52 AM

Just gonna throw this out there but it doesnt come with Eye Of The North.

#5 Driver121113

Driver121113

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:04 AM

You can get the newer xpack Eye of the North for 9.99 with free shipping from newegg here. So more or less all 4 of them for 25.

Edited by Driver121113, 18 December 2009 - 01:31 AM.

#6 Casteor

Casteor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:10 AM

How good is Guild Wars? I know it's somewhat popular (or really, Idk)

Edit- Holy crap. Guild Wars seems to run fast on my computer after doing a quick search on canyourunit.com
Does that mean the specs are shit for Guild Wars? My PC sucks for playing video games. I think only games that have run well were Starcraft and Maplestory.
"A dreamcatcher works, if your dream is to be gay."

-Demetri Martin

#7 Lord Darkstorn

Lord Darkstorn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:13 AM

Edit- Holy crap. Guild Wars seems to run fast on my computer after doing a quick search on canyourunit.com
Does that mean the specs are shit for Guild Wars? My PC sucks for playing video games. I think only games that have run well were Starcraft and Maplestory.

It's a really good game. And no subscription fees.
I only have Guild Wars: Factions, and have been looking to get back into it. This might be a buy for me :)

#8 Muitabui

Muitabui

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:17 AM

this price beats the steam deal that they had a couple weeks ago
I am so in for a copy

#9 Lone_Prodigy

Lone_Prodigy

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:23 AM

The no subscription fees are the best part about this game: I've sunk 600+ hours over the last 3+ years. If it was subscription-based I would've paid over $500 (at $15 a month).

This is not really an MMO though: most areas are instanced, not persistent, so there's a lot of running around by yourself. Still, the game gives you relatively competent AI henchmen and heroes to compensate.

Also, it's a highly optimized game. I can run it on a 4-year-old laptop and some of the scenery looks really nice.

#10 Casteor

Casteor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:34 AM

Well, there's a Guild Wars 2 coming out.
http://en.wikipedia....ki/Guild_Wars_2

I wouldn't want to just be getting into the original one if a new one would be coming out. Great deal if you want the game, though

-Demetri Martin

#11 _k1_

_k1_

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:43 AM

Well, there's a Guild Wars 2 coming out.
http://en.wikipedia....ki/Guild_Wars_2

I wouldn't want to just be getting into the original one if a new one would be coming out. Great deal if you want the game, though

MMO sequels don't always mean the original game is pushed aside or abandoned by the playerbase (EverQuest just released an expansion yesterday, for example). ArenaNet are taking a 'when its done' approach to GW2 -- the earliest projected date is 2011. Not to mention that things you do in GW will benefit you in GW2.

Just my 2c.

--
:ps4: Wolfenstein| :ps3: DWGR | :360: nothing|  :vita: HN:PP| :pc: Random|  :3ds: ACNL,BD:FF| :ps2: nothing| :psp: nothing|  :wii: nothing 

#12 ProggleRock

ProggleRock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:45 AM

It's known for running pretty well, but it requires a hell of a lot more juice than Starcraft or Maple Story.

#13 youngavatar

youngavatar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:45 AM

One of the best MMO i ever played you can play with friend our by ur self. I spent like 1000hrs in the game and i still havent complete faction and wyw of the north.
[URL=http://exophase.com/gamercards/]Posted Image
[/URL]

#14 tokerblue

tokerblue

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:50 AM

The only computer game I've played in recent years is Titan Quest, which I really liked and bought at Target for $4.99 and The Immortal Throne expension for $4.99. Is this the same type of game? Is it anything like Demon's Souls?

#15 Casteor

Casteor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:51 AM

MMO sequels don't always mean the original game is pushed aside or abandoned by the playerbase (EverQuest just released an expansion yesterday, for example). ArenaNet are taking a 'when its done' approach to GW2 -- the earliest projected date is 2011. Not to mention that things you do in GW will benefit you in GW2.

Just my 2c.

I was just skeptical. What do you mean by "GW will benefit you in GW2"?-- carry over items/charcs? Clarifiy please.

It's known for running pretty well, but it requires a hell of a lot more juice than Starcraft or Maple Story.

Well, the bar was nearly filled on canyourunit.com for how effective the game runs on my computer. Starcraft and Maplestory ran/run exceptionally well. So I guess it's safe to say that there isn't much of a difference then.

-Demetri Martin

#16 ProggleRock

ProggleRock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:57 AM

I don't know a thing about that website, but I don't think there's anything safe about assuming that a 10-year-old RTS and a 2D side-scroller will run the same as Guild Wars. Maybe on the lowest possible resolution with every effect turned off, but that's the same with practically any game.

#17 aznguyen316

aznguyen316

Rock Chalk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:59 AM

GW prob won't come out til 2011 as stated.. I bit on that Sunday the ad was out. I passed on the steam deal so this was nice for me.
ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK | Steam: djfakey
i5-2500k@4.2Ghz; MSI 660Ti PE/OC Ed.

#18 Casteor

Casteor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:04 AM

I'm going to try the trial and see if I like it. I remember trying the World of Warcraft trial and I didn't like the game at all.

-Demetri Martin

#19 _k1_

_k1_

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:05 AM

I was just skeptical. What do you mean by "GW will benefit you in GW2"?-- carry over items/charcs? Clarifiy please.

http://wiki.guildwar...ll_of_Monuments
Then, when Guild Wars 2 arrives, each of these monuments will correspond to special features your Guild Wars 2 characters can "inherit" from your own legendary past, giving you access to exclusive titles, companions , weapons, attire, and miniatures. These inherited items are unique: there is no other way within Guild Wars 2 to acquire them.

GW2 will probably be a great game. But GW has sold 5 million+ copies and is not going to go away any time soon, IMO.

--

#20 Casteor

Casteor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:09 AM

http://wiki.guildwar...ll_of_Monuments
Then, when Guild Wars 2 arrives, each of these monuments will correspond to special features your Guild Wars 2 characters can "inherit" from your own legendary past, giving you access to exclusive titles, companions , weapons, attire, and miniatures. These inherited items are unique: there is no other way within Guild Wars 2 to acquire them.

GW2 will probably be a great game. But GW has sold 5 million+ copies and is not going to go away any time soon, IMO.

I wouldn't know about any of this really unless I actually played the game. I'll try the trial and see if I like it. Thanks though

-Demetri Martin

#21 Eleven8Eighty3

Eleven8Eighty3

Art Director

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:13 AM

dang, i bought this at full price about a month ago. Nice offer.

#22 NeoGutsman

NeoGutsman

CAG Backlogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:02 AM

The no subscription fees are the best part about this game: I've sunk 600+ hours over the last 3+ years. If it was subscription-based I would've paid over $500 (at $15 a month).

This is not really an MMO though: most areas are instanced, not persistent, so there's a lot of running around by yourself. Still, the game gives you relatively competent AI henchmen and heroes to compensate.

Also, it's a highly optimized game. I can run it on a 4-year-old laptop and some of the scenery looks really nice.

Well put! Anyone else curious can get the quickie rundown via this like on Guild Wars' site:

http://www.guildwars...eplay/synopsis/

I really loved the game when it first came out, but had to give it up because my wife and I had our first child. Now that the kids are older, I may go back and play again. :)

Oh, and if anyone's curious, I got the game to run like butter on my old Dell Latitude D610. It also ran fine on my current computer (takes a deep breath in mild shame):

• AMD Athlon XP 2600 (roughly the equivalent of an old Pentium 4 @1.9Ghz)
  • 1GB RAM
  • ATI Radeon 9600 256MB video card
  • Wing and Prayer (heh)

I can't comment on how it is to solo in the game anymore (been a while like I said), but I do remember after checking in last year that the AI companions you can recruit for quests were much better than the original ones.

All-in-all, I say go for it. It's a terrific online game in its own right, and the lifetime free online play is just icing on the cake!

#23 eugaet

eugaet

1d20 to save vs CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:23 AM

I've got you beat, Neo. I run Guild Wars on:

- 1Ghz Celeron
- 768MB RAM
- GeForce Ti4200

But I'm finally going to get a new comp after using and upgrading this one over the past 11 years. It was a 333 Celeron/128MB/Viper V550 when I bought it.

Back OT...if you've ever mildly been interested in Guild Wars, I'd definitely pick the trilogy up for this price. I bought the 3 Collector's Editions ($80 + $80 + $70) and feel like I got my money's worth. My son has decided he wants to play now, so I picked this up for him earlier this week.

Tradelist: LINK :: Strategy Guide Tradelist: LINK :: XBLA Code Tradelist: LINK

#24 Khamous

Khamous

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:42 AM

I got it through Steam for $25... then again, as I don't live in the States that was a great deal for me lol (shipping + customs are annoying)

Didn't know you could run this on an old comp... might try it on my laptop (was waiting to get a new comp in the upcoming months, lol)

#25 RyanTheGNR

RyanTheGNR

There Was A Time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:25 AM

I might bite on this... but I've no one to play with. :/

#26 AwRy108

AwRy108

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:52 AM

It's a really pretty game, especially considering its age. Also, one of the latter expansions (Factions, maybe?) made the game much more single-player friendly because it enabled you to customize the gear on your hired NPC's, which, in turn, allows them to be quite useful.

#27 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:13 AM

Yes spec are very low. I played it for years on a shitty laptop with a Radeon Mobility 9000 graphics card.

Games however, are very good.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#28 jrhawk42

jrhawk42

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:26 AM

I'd highly recommend the Guild Wars series at this price. Also it's not an MMO. PVE parties are 8 players I believe, and PVP has a max of 16... or 32... either way this is not an MMO. Yes some towns support 100+ people, but there is no gameplay in the towns (except for some mini games during special events). Basically the towns are glorified game lobbies.

Still the series is great. No grinding needed, and while it won't entertain you for 600 hours like wow you should easily get about 30 hours of fun for each campaign. Also keep in mind this game isn't about XP it's about strategy. You'll easily max out your character well before the end of the campaign.
Posted Image

#29 mphil145

mphil145

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:28 AM

This is a great game and definitely worth the price, hell I bought each of these games for $50 when they were first released and i got eye of the north for $40 and I don't regret a single penny i spent on it. Really addicting game especially if your into pvp.

#30 ProggleRock

ProggleRock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:27 AM

For the sake of balance, I really can't stand this game. However, for this price, there's really not much to lose, and there's a pretty good chance you'll love it, at least for a little while.