Possible PSN premium services detailed in leaked survey?

SynGamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
66 (100%)
"The actual subscription costs flung around ranged from $20 to $60 a year, or alternatively $6 to $9 a month..."
  • Customer Service Priority Access
  • Exclusive Experiences with Sony Brands
  • Extended Console Warranty 3 Years
  • Access to Beta Games
  • Early Access to All Store Content
  • Member Demo Sharing of Full Game
  • Cross-game Voice Chat Access
  • Full Title Trial - 1st Hour Is Free
  • Token Wagering
  • User-to-user Challenges
  • Free Access to PSOne Classics, PSP Minis, and PS3/PSP Themes
  • Discounts on Store Content
  • Member Only In-game Content
  • Trophy Alerts
  • Cloud Storage Space for Games
  • Online Music Service
  • Online Music Video Service
  • Automatic Downloads and Updates
  • Loyalty Program Rewards
  • Facebook Connectivity
  • Catch-up TV
  • Netflix Access Without Disc
Source

Personally, Cross-game voice chat should be free...as should auto downloads and Facebook, but overall, not too bad. Cloud storage is a definitely plus as is the discounts, free games, beta access, and the extended warranty.

im against this for the most part. its cool that regardless everyone will still be able to play games online for free but some of that stuff should be for everyone. and of course once you get enough people paying for it they will eventually up the price. theres only a few things in that possible list id even be interested in but not enough to pay for.

[quote name='SynGamer']Personally, Cross-game voice chat should be free...as should auto downloads and Facebook, but overall, not too bad. Cloud storage is a definitely plus as is the discounts, free games, beta access, and the extended warranty.[/QUOTE]

A fair assessment. Not sure if there's enough that would interest me but my curiosity is piqued.

Some stuff is cool, and it'd make me consider paying for premium, but other stuff seems dumb to me.

I wouldnt mind paying to get the first hour of games free, free PSone games, minis, and themes, a music service, and discounts on stuff in the store. That said, having to pay for things like trophy alerts (I'm assuming this means those little pop-ups when you unlock a trophy), cross game chat, and automatic downloads and updates seems stupid to me.

Extended Console Warranty 3 Years
^^^^

I am actually extremely interested in that. That alone with some other things make premium worth it.

[quote name='Megiddo_CAG']Extended Console Warranty 3 Years
^^^^

I am actually extremely interested in that. That alone with some other things make premium worth it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my PS3 has been rock solid but I wouldn't mind an added warranty.

But as for the rest of the features, I honestly don't care as long as online gaming remains free.

[quote name='smiggity']I will throw my PS3 out the window if they charge us for some of those things mentioned[/QUOTE]

So I guess it would behoove Sony to just not offer them all together then rather than give people the choice.

From the way I read it, Sony isn't going to take away any of the free features so we'll lose nothing should this be implemented.

I agree with the OPs assessment. Cross game voice chat seems like it should be free, but I could understand if the reason why it has yet to be implemented is because of the costs associated with that kind of throughput.

Personally I would seriously consider the option with the PSOne titles, because as a PSP owner, having that kind of access would add some great value to both systems. Most of the other additional features I could live without.

Sounds like a great idea on Sonys part, since they could sure use the money from all the money they lose on each unit sold.

As long as online gaming is free, I'm fine with charging for extras.

If they pump out more PSone classics and or make an international section with japanese games, the PSone classics thing would make me buy premium instantly. I'd kill for the Megaman games on the US PSone classics section.

It said 20-60 a year. 30 is my max that I'd pay. Possibly 40 IF and IF they bring Japanese only imports to the PSN store.

I would be willing to pay if I got all those features for 30 dollars or less. I hate the idea of paying online for anything.

[quote name='Megiddo_CAG']Extended Console Warranty 3 Years
^^^^

I am actually extremely interested in that. That alone with some other things make premium worth it.[/QUOTE]
I would def. pay for Premium services for this but I highly doubt something like that wuld be included.

sounds like a cobbled together bunch of crap to me, with the exception of unlimited PSone games. That I'd be interested in for about $20/year

[quote name='chakan']sounds like a cobbled together bunch of crap to me, with the exception of unlimited PSone games. That I'd be interested in for about $20/year[/QUOTE]

If it was unlimited access to their full library of psone it'd be at least $10 a month, similar to game tap. and it'd be worth it. Especially if it helps to increase the number of PSone games they add to the service,. I'd also be interested in them adding similar PS3, PS2, and PSP packages as well.

X-Game chat would just equalize them with 360. I guess you could argue you have to pay for this on 360, but I think it would really make sense for them to make it free, as just another benefit of PSN over live. If they charge for it, they can't use it as a plus.

FB integration would really be free advertising for them to have Playstationy topics on people FB pages. Makes sense for them to give it to everyone, regardless if they pay for premium services or not. It would cost next to nothing to run, just a bit of R&D.

Time access to PSN games might not be a good idea, as the hype will have died away by the time non-paying members get access. Timed access to demos seems fair.

I have no issue with them charging for those other items though. I wouldn't be interested in them, but there is the potential of good value there, i.e, PSOne games for free etc. I really hope they are smart about this. But sony's decisions tend to be polarized: brilliant, or retarded.

~S

I expect all the services I am currently getting to be free when and if a premium service becomes available.

All of those services I could really do without. I doubt the ps3 can even handle all those features at a decent pace, considering the XMB can be downright slow at times (especially when playing a graphics/cpu intensive game).

The free PS1 games, beta access, and disc-less Netflix. I already have a 3 year warranty through squaretrade so that's a big 'meh' for me.

If those PSOne Classics are just for rental I'll pass. Getting them at a discount for paying the premium game price I might take.
Honestly though I think I might go for the Japanese premium plan instead if I got a discount on PSOne Classics as the offerings are for shit on PSN U.S. I'll take "Xenogears", "Brave Fencer Musashi" and "Einhander" as well as some of the others on Japanese PSN. I mean the SNK offerings are great for fighters.

[quote name='DF3']I expect all the services I am currently getting to be free when and if a premium service becomes available.[/QUOTE]

I think Kaz said that if they ever do implement a paid-premium PSN service, it would be optional alongside the free service we have now.

I think the biggest matter is cost... if it was $30 a year, I would go for it simply because of the extended warranty and perks like free PSN games, early demos, etc.

All that features sounds nice but one feature that'll really make me pay for is higher download speed. Everything I download from PSN is dirt slow but XBLA downloads are much quicker.

[quote name='laaj']All that features sounds nice but one feature that'll really make me pay for is higher download speed. Everything I download from PSN is dirt slow but XBLA downloads are much quicker.[/QUOTE]

QFT. Or at least allow the ps3 to finish downloading stuff after you turn it off, just like the 360

[quote name='Vinny']Yeah, my PS3 has been rock solid but I wouldn't mind an added warranty.

But as for the rest of the features, I honestly don't care as long as online gaming remains free.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you

[quote name='asthmatic']QFT. Or at least allow the ps3 to finish downloading stuff after you turn it off, just like the 360[/QUOTE]

They have a feature thats smilar but it dosent put the PS3 into low power mode like the xbox does it just turns it off when its done downloading. I use it all the time because my downloads can be slow as hell at times.

The feature on that list that interests me is the cloud service, it would be nice to play one save on different systems in my house. I really hate having a different save on each system for some games.

[quote name='asthmatic']^how do you enable that feature?[/QUOTE]

If you mean power off after download then goto Users menu (far left) and the top option is Turn Off System. If you choose that while you are downloading something then it'll display an option for turn off after downloading (and installing).

This is exactly why I bought a PS3, because I didn't want to pay to play. And now it's happening. Like another poster said, if it gets too bad I'll just go back to playing the PC. Charging for premiums is one thing, like themes and DLC and all that Jazz. I've been playing Betas for years with Sony, why in the hell should I start paying now. ITS A BETA!? Who pays for Betas?!

[quote name='StrandedBrit']If you mean power off after download then goto Users menu (far left) and the top option is Turn Off System. If you choose that while you are downloading something then it'll display an option for turn off after downloading (and installing).[/QUOTE]

thanks, I've never tried turning off the ps3 with that. I always use the home button

I'd pay reasonable price for cloud storage for save files.[quote name='GTmaster39']This is exactly why I bought a PS3, because I didn't want to pay to play. And now it's happening. Like another poster said, if it gets too bad I'll just go back to playing the PC. Charging for premiums is one thing, like themes and DLC and all that Jazz. I've been playing Betas for years with Sony, why in the hell should I start paying now. ITS A BETA!? Who pays for Betas?![/QUOTE]It's not happening. These are just optional things in addition to the free online service. So if you're happy with it now, you'll be happy in the future.

Any sort of premium features are bad. Give it to us for free or dont do it at all.

I still think the only thing they are going to offer is the unlimited downloads from PS store. Anything else is really not needed or should be free

I think this is a great way to do it. And I wish 360 did the same thing. If you are NOT paying for it you aren't really missing anything important (unless Cross game chat is really in it) but if you do, you get a bunch of bonus'.

You still can play online for free, which is the only important thing.

[quote name='StrandedBrit']If you mean power off after download then goto Users menu (far left) and the top option is Turn Off System. If you choose that while you are downloading something then it'll display an option for turn off after downloading (and installing).[/QUOTE]

Woah, awesome. Thanks for that.

For me, I've NEVER had a problem with downloads. They always go fast *shrug*

That Cross Game Chat one is bugging me. Other than that, some of these features are worth the purchase. However, I'm still not sold, as I don't use many of these features.

If I was able to get solid stuff like Full Title Trial, unlimited PS1 games, access to Betas and early marketplace stuff for $20, I would probably pay it. Not just because it is a good buy, but because Sony has been a solid company and has a rock solid console that would still, at the very least, have free online gaming.

But, for the goods I imagine they would want you to pay $60 and I think that's a little out of my price range. Still, the stuff that Sony would offer for $60 (I assume the whole list), beats Xbox Live by a mile.

I just received an email message while on PSN from a guy (or gal) concerning this. I assume this person is "mass sending" these out (he's not on my friends list).

For some odd reason, it also kicked me out of my B:1943 game with an error as soon as the message appeared.

The email stated Sony will not pursue it if they receive 500,000 protests by 1-12 (the date they will start charging I assume, if this is correct). Not sure if there is any validity in this, but wanted to pass the word (and expect this message to show up in your PS inbox).

I have Xbox Gold and don't really receive anything (occasional gaming now and then, but I mainly use it to watch Netflix movies). I support this effort, however I got my PS3 from GS and a 3 year warranty (as well as other features) would be great!

EDIT/UPDATE: There is credible evidence which suggest this is in fact happening 1-13 (Big System/Maintenance update for the PS3). Also, there seems to be sellers on Ebay who are selling $150 PSN "Professional" cards.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Space Cowboy YGI']I just received an email message while on PSN from a guy (or gal) concerning this. I assume this person is "mass sending" these out (he's not on my friends list).

For some odd reason, it also kicked me out of my B:1943 game with an error as soon as the message appeared.

The email stated Sony will not pursue it if they receive 500,000 protests by 1-12 (the date they will start charging I assume, if this is correct). Not sure if there is any validity in this, but wanted to pass the word (and expect this message to show up in your PS inbox).

I have Xbox Gold and don't really receive anything (occasional gaming now and then, but I mainly use it to watch Netflix movies). I support this effort, however I got my PS3 from GS and a 3 year warranty (as well as other features) would be great!

EDIT/UPDATE: There is credible evidence which suggest this is in fact happening 1-13 (Big System/Maintenance update for the PS3). Also, there seems to be sellers on Ebay who are selling $150 PSN "Professional" cards.[/QUOTE]
Those same people send out messages about getting into the Halo PS3 beta if you forward it to enough people. It's a load of BS.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Those same people send out messages about getting into the Halo PS3 beta if you forward it to enough people. It's a load of BS.[/QUOTE]
This.

I've gotten ten of them and it's stupid. It's like the Crystal Spartan armor all over again. What really annoys me about it most is that everyone in Home was talking about it.

I'd actually consider this if the 3 year warranty applied to ANYTHING and they made backwards compatibility available in a full software version, but only if it was like $5 a month.

Anything more than that and they could shove the premium bs up their ass. The way it is, I feel that with these consoles costing more now the warranty should already be a full 3 years from when you first buy it and not the 1 year bullshit that Sony and MS give you with 3 years from MS but only for fucked up hardware.

bread's done
Back