Official 2010 Yard Sale Thread

• Please log in to reply
1830 replies to this topic

#1021 allyourblood

allyourblood

America's youth sucks.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:45 AM

Only went out one day this week. Didn't get that much stuff, but most of it was quality. :lol:

Posted Image
NES Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
NES ABC & 123, $5 for both

Posted Image
DVD The Simpsons: The Complete Ninth Season
DVD The Kids in the Hall, $8 for both

Posted Image
GEN Atomic Robo Kid (missing manual)
SEGA CD Heart of the Alien (complete), $6 for both

Posted Image
PSX Suikoden (missing manual)
PSX Final Fantasy VIII (missing front insert and manual)
PSX Breath of Fire III (missing manual), $6 for all

DC Dino Crisis (complete), $3

Posted Image
XB Star Wars Battlefront II (complete)
XB Star Wars Jedi Outcast: Jedi Knight II (complete)
XB Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (complete)
DVD The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! (missing outer sleeve, I think), $12 for all

XB Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (complete)
XB360 power cable, $2 for both

Will I never find a complete copy of Breath of Fire III? This is my second copy; the first one was disc only. Oh well. Also, I'd been casually looking for Atomic Robo Kid for some time, so that was a fun little score.
Being cheap doesn't mean you have to be a liar and a thief. Have some respect for yourself.

#1022 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:12 AM

Picked up this lot, plus an NES, plus a wavebird/receiver for $35. Started cleaning them, and used a paper towel and 2 q-tips just for Mario. I don't know how it got that dirty, and it's always such a pain to clean nintendo carts.

Posted Image

elessar123.png

#1023 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:01 PM

However, I wouldn't express too much interest in older games or systems in general . . . the seller might get strange ideas on the value if your interest goes beyond the casual. Having a poker face is a must,

This is why I usually say . . . "do you have any old videogames?"

I'm hoping (as some have experienced in the thread) that they will pull out something they overlooked . . . probably because they didn't think it was worth selling. Sounds crazy but tons of great games end up at Goodwill.

If they ask "like what" . . . then I throw out like "Nintendo or Playstation . . . old stuff." Most people I encounter have an overinflated sense of the worth of videogames anyway. I see badly beat up PS2s (even missing hookups) with 10 sports titles and broken controllers marked $120.

A poker face and downplaying value are important.

Edited by schultzed, 20 July 2010 - 01:38 PM.

#1024 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:16 PM

It won't sell for that. I finally put mine up on ebay because it was just sitting. I literally had it in the 30's or 40's on Amazon and it wouldn't sell. Pie in the sky prices for most of them on Amazon.

IMHO, Amazon is the best place to sell books. Period.

Amazon is also a great venue for other media--CDs, DVDs, games. But Amazon is not all that hot for other items.

I think you played the puzzle well. I don't like Ebay, so (if I had one) I would probably just let it sit at $30-40 on Amazon and hope someone snags it near the holiday.

I really don't know what their game is when a seller lists something at $100 like that . . . but they might be a dropshipper. Some outfits have no inventory but use automated systems to create tons of listings and then when they snag a sale, they order on the cheap elsewhere. Yes, the odds are low for each item but with 1,000s of listings and no overhead--they make out like bandits.

They might also be a brick and mortar operation and have it on a shelf at a normal price and just dabble on Amazon. They might actually sell it for big bucks when people get nuts in early Dec.

#1025 jaysapathy

jaysapathy

Drama Hater

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:27 PM

Come on, this isn't a reseller info thread, just a place to brag about our finds. Is this really necessary?
When your signature is bigger than the message you just posted, it's time to reevaluate things, people.

The wife and I have a running blog on our gaming finds: http://curse.arrogantloudmouth.com/

#1026 ninja dog

ninja dog

Shoto Guilt

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:05 PM

Come on, this isn't a reseller info thread, just a place to brag about our finds. Is this really necessary?

yes

#1027 TiKi2

TiKi2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:00 PM

yes

x2

#1028 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:29 PM

Now is actually a good time to be looking for gamecube and ps2 games

In terms of availability, add in Xbox games . . . unfortunately few are flip-worthy . . . which is why you see KOTOR pictured here so often.

There is a definite cycle of console lifetime.

Hot when new . . . plateau . . . drop in value . . . old news . . . dirt cheap . . . possible revival in interest and value.

Now that the current generation is solidified we see many PS2, GC, and Xbox systems at rummage sales.

8-10 years ago I would see NESs at Goodwill on a weekly basis . . . now they are getting scarce (or at least less prevalent). Back then no one wanted them . . . now there are many people hunting them.

Edited by schultzed, 21 July 2010 - 01:24 AM.

#1029 TiKi2

TiKi2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:29 PM

8-10 years ago I would NESs at Goodwill on a weekly basis . . . now they are getting scarce (or at least less prevalent). Back then no one wanted them . . . now there are many people hunting them.

Oh you got that right , If there is a sale advertising an nes or snes they get snatched up lighting quick over here..

Edited by TiKi2, 21 July 2010 - 01:44 AM.

#1030 Shazyzang

Shazyzang

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:27 AM

This is why I usually say . . . "do you have any old videogames?"

I'm hoping (as some have experienced in the thread) that they will pull out something they overlooked . . . probably because they didn't think it was worth selling. Sounds crazy but tons of great games end up at Goodwill.

If they ask "like what" . . . then I throw out like "Nintendo or Playstation . . . old stuff." Most people I encounter have an overinflated sense of the worth of videogames anyway. I see badly beat up PS2s (even missing hookups) with 10 sports titles and broken controllers marked $120.

A poker face and downplaying value are important.

Thanks guys, I'll do these things this week. For me, only once have people brought out games when I asked (9 NES games, I got them for $3). I didn't want to specify Nintendo or Sega, for example, because they could havea Neo-Geo or something.

#1031 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:10 PM

Saw these at the auction, but I forgot about them. Could have had them for $5

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item255b97cd23

Dang . . . this auction went high . . .

For contrast, look at this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2eae28cfa0

I have a set of these (they look mint in a so-so box). If I knew I could get $30, I'd sell them immediately.

I bought them at Goodwill for $10 (about 8 years ago). I once listed them one ebay (starting at $10) and had no bidders.

#1032 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:01 PM

^^Exactly my point about game prices being unstable!

#1033 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:16 PM

^^Exactly my point about game prices being unstable!

And especially ebay being unstable. This is why I go with fixed listings on Amazon and just wait.

Today I sold this game (complete) for $19.99

http://www.amazon.co...duct/B0012M3656

If I did an auction on ebay, it could go for $10-$20 (but looks like $15 is the going rate).

I just listed my copy 1 week ago but I would have been OK if it took a year to sell.

#1034 allyourblood

allyourblood

America's youth sucks.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:56 PM

No offense guys, but this thread is sorta veering off-topic quite a bit. Maybe we could set up a new thread to discuss flips and price fluctuations?
Being cheap doesn't mean you have to be a liar and a thief. Have some respect for yourself.

#1035 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:23 AM

this thread is sorta veering off-topic quite a bit.

Its just the mid-week boredom waiting for sales . . . I can back off.

Anyway . . . not a rummage sale but close. I was in Mega Media Exchange (in Milwaukee) and the customer in front of me was getting an offer but a stack of games were rejected. I knew I had to act quick . . . so I nudged her and said "wait for me outside."
Posted Image
I got these for $10. I offered $4 for COD4 and then $3 for AC . . . seeing that this was working, I said would you take $2 for DMC2 and $1 for NFS Carbon. All have pretty good discs and are complete (accept Carbon has no manual). I only left behind a few games Sonic and Haze.

I'll probably flip my sealed 360 copy of AC and play this PS3 one.

Edited by schultzed, 22 July 2010 - 01:36 AM.

#1036 allyourblood

allyourblood

America's youth sucks.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:19 AM

Why were those rejected? Were they too common? (nice snag, though!)

#1037 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:28 AM

Why were those rejected? Were they too common? (nice snag, though!)

I'm not certain but I think he said "we have too many of these."

I didn't see everything that the store bought but I did see Bioshock 2 and I think the girl got $31 or $32. It looked like they bought 5-7 games. I don't know why they don't offer .50 a piece on the rejects . . . I think she would have taken it. This place is more selective then GS.

Hell, in retrospect, if I asked nicely I think she would given me the last couple for free.

Edited by schultzed, 22 July 2010 - 02:46 AM.

#1038 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:50 AM

I will also take this opportunity to ask: What is the best thing you guys have ever found at a yard sale, game-related or not?

Here is the best thing I got.

Burton Backhill Snowboard.

Posted Image Posted Image

I paid $5. I think they typically sell between $500-$3000 depending on the condition and production year.

#1039 TiKi2

TiKi2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:12 PM

Here is the best thing I got.

Burton Backhill Snowboard.

Posted Image Posted Image

I paid $5. I think they typically sell between $500-$3000 depending on the condition and production year.

wow , nice find. Was that from this weekend that passed?

#1040 ex_eBay_buyer

ex_eBay_buyer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:16 PM

Since it has to do with yard-saleing i figured I should post the link here to my thread. The question is: What are some general rules to tell if a game is valuable?

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=268021
Yard-Saleing is a SPORT.

#1041 Javansdaddy

Javansdaddy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:07 PM

Had a little score today on my lunchtime walk. Found a garage sale a little farther out than I wanted to walk, lots of old computer parts & such (didn't look promising) until I saw something at the bottom of a plastic tub:

Fable 2 BradyGames LE strategy guide (with guide, artbook, & wraparound cover)
Assassin's Creed Prima strategy guide (map was ripped out, found it in the tub)
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed Prima strategy guide

Total price: $1

The Fable 2 guide is incredible, both the guide & the book are in near-mint condition( the art book is fantastic). The wraparound cover (the thing that holds them together) is in decent shape (a couple tiny dents/creases & a little wear on the flap).

Checked eBay, a used one sold for $30! I'm not selling it, my son & I are working through the game together - he's gonna crap his pants when I get home!
I weighed more than Jared from Subway
www.iweighedmorethanjared.com

#1042 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:43 AM

wow , nice find. Was that from this weekend that passed?

Thanks!

No, this was an old find (2 or 3 years ago). I was just responding to Shazyzang's post. Coincidentally, I went to a sale at the same house today.

But since you asked...

It is an all Nintendo Thursday (again) and I already have my find of the week!

Posted Image

Silver GBA marked $1.50 paid $1

Posted Image

Misc GBC, GBA, N64 games $2 total. This was a little kid, so I didn't try to deal.

Posted Image

Silver gamecube with extra controller, memory card, Game boy player with boot disc (the reason I bought it), and madden 97.

Wanted $10, Paid $5

Posted Image

Game Boy Color with 11 games and branded case.

Wanted $5 and she wouldn't budge, but I bought it anyway.

Pokemon Original, Blue, Red, Dragon Warrior I / II are the best games (I think).

And the find of the week...

Posted Image

The Coz (cosby show) complete series.

Paid $5 didn't try to deal since it sells for $150-$200 and is still sealed.

That's a lot of puddin. bwah

I saw a book scanner at the same sale before me, chump missed it. :bouncy:
(no offense schultzed)

#1043 pulsar0510

pulsar0510

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:18 PM

Found an interesting item at one of 2 yardsales that was actually happening today in the rain: unopened Genesis cleaning kit. Have seen plenty of NES & SNES ones over the years, but never a Genesis one. Even if the alcohol is no good, the pads look fine. It's not Sega branded, but still cool. Has the price tag and clearnace sticker still attached. Anyone find one of these? Brand name is Recoton, who did cleaning kits for cassette players anyway...

#1044 schultzed

schultzed

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:05 PM

I saw a book scanner at the same sale before me, chump missed it. :bouncy:
(no offense schultzed)

None taken . . . scanner or not, I wouldn't have missed it. Nice find!

I've gotta take a page from "slow" and keep an eye on Thurs . . . I hit a few sales today that started on Thurs :-(

At one, the woman said they had some Wii games--all sold yesterday. Of course, I then bought something like $100 worth of craft books at that sale for $10. Right next door maybe another $100 worth of DVDs for $12.

I'll post my games later . . . very, very little to post. The rain (while not as bad as Milwaukee which is about 40 mile north of here) definitely put a damper on things today.

#1045 allyourblood

allyourblood

America's youth sucks.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:31 PM

Found an interesting item at one of 2 yardsales that was actually happening today in the rain: unopened Genesis cleaning kit. Have seen plenty of NES & SNES ones over the years, but never a Genesis one. Even if the alcohol is no good, the pads look fine. It's not Sega branded, but still cool. Has the price tag and clearnace sticker still attached. Anyone find one of these? Brand name is Recoton, who did cleaning kits for cassette players anyway...

I have these two:

Posted Image

I bought both within the last year or two at yard sales. The Performance cartridge was already opened when I bought it, but I just took it out of the box a few weeks ago and found that the cleaning solution was still full. I used it on a really dirty Genesis model 1 and it worked perfectly.

#1046 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:32 AM

Got rained out today. Apparently Northern Illinois is now a rainforest. 105 degrees heat index and heavy rain every 10 minutes.

Somebody post some pics, so I get my sale buzz!

#1047 TiKi2

TiKi2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:49 PM

Final fantasy 7 mint $5

She wouldn't budge from $5 and as I was turning away I understood why. She thought I wanted the craptastic copy of granturismo 2 that was on the table even though I hand the ff7 in my hand. "Oh your not going to take the other" half muffled. I realized what she said when I was a few feet away. The guy next to me was bieng a prick trying to snatch up all the games he could. So when I turned around he already took the GT2 . He got a bunch of nes stuff and some ps1 stuff as well.

EDIT: Fuck just realized no manual. I guess it aint mint anymore. LOL, was going to keep it but now it's ganna go.

Edited by TiKi2, 24 July 2010 - 04:36 PM.

#1048 Shazyzang

Shazyzang

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:08 PM

Easily my worst week of the year so far. I could only leave at 11:20 and there was only 1 sale (I went to another but it was closed). Nothing.

#1049 Neuropod

Neuropod

Fine work, skeleton!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:42 PM

Last couple weeks have been way too hot and the finds have been way too not.

Posted Image
Genesis games $1 each. When the pickings are slim I buy stuff like this. Like going to the grocery store when you're hungry.
Sonic 2, NFL Quarterback Club, Tecmo Super Bowl, La Russa Baseball (w/ team cards), La Russa Baseball 95.

Posted Image
Radioshack TRS-80 Tandy Computer
2 boxed Joysticks
A variety of reference manuals including a thick-ass Color Basic programming guide
Software carts: Color File, Space Assault, Popcorn!, Clowns & Balloons, Mega Bug, Music, Poltergeist
A variety of VHF and other cable hookups
Several unopened 16k RAM expansions :lol:

Not really sure what this is worth but I paid $15. Everything is really mint and it's pretty cool. Now I just have to figure out how to hook it up.
76561197996844513.png

#1050 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:21 PM

^^^Nice find! That lot is easily worth $100+. Personally I would not sell it, because of the condition. I don't know a lot about them, but I am pretty sure "Poltergeist" is a good one, since it is a movie license.