Photo
- - - - -

EA to shut down servers for recently released games

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 laaj

laaj

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:40 PM

I have a feeling more non-EA servers will go out for PS3 and Wii games. That's the price of free multiplayer. When sales of the game goes down to almost nothing, there is no reason to keep it up.

#32 SEH

SEH

Paul's sister is an alien

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:02 PM

And this is why I don't buy EA games anymore.

Because they shut down servers for games that don't sell well or are like four years old? While I do think it sucks for people with these games, you have to realize it costs them money to keep these servers running. It's just not profitable to keep servers running for the 10 people that still play Madden 07 or the 15 people that play Facebreaker.

Of all the reasons you don't buy EA games, this is your big sticking point.

:roll:

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#33 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:12 PM

I have a feeling more non-EA servers will go out for PS3 and Wii games. That's the price of free multiplayer. When sales of the game goes down to almost nothing, there is no reason to keep it up.

It wont just be PS3 and wii. Sega is shutting down Chromehounds

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#34 exileinoblivion

exileinoblivion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:41 PM

Like I said on CAG we're the exception. Most people are not going to buy a 360 so they can play Madden 09. People want the latest and greatest, especially when it comes to annual sports games. The rosters are the entire point, playing with them being out-of-date seems pointless(to most people).

This is not true, I see people buying old cheap games constantly when I visit used game stores, especially sports titles.

#35 SEH

SEH

Paul's sister is an alien

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 08:14 PM

This is not true, I see people buying old cheap games constantly when I visit used game stores, especially sports titles.

Complete opposite at my GS's. The shelves are always cluttered with copies of Madden 07, 08, and 09. Same goes for the NBA, FIFA, Tiger Woods, and NHL games. They cant give away old sports titles around here.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#36 Jommy

Jommy

Cool Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:00 PM

This is the reason why I wish there were a rule banning trophies/achievements for online portions of games. The competitive aspect of online multiplayer alone is enough to make me want to play it; keep the trophies for the offline component so that regardless of the servers, people will always be able to get all the achievements.

#37 AceSXE

AceSXE

They Hate Logic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:08 PM

All about trying to force people to buy newer versions of the sports games I would guess.
Posted Image

#38 Snake2715

Snake2715

Gotta Have Your Toys...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:20 PM

I still think this is a low move from EA. They are just trying to force you to buy Madden 10. "If you want online, you have to buy the newest we have"

At least they are announcing it... have they done that before?
-Josh

Posted Image
-courtesy of onetrackmind-

TRADE LIST

#39 sgr76

sgr76

Talk it < Living it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:42 PM

I am one of those people who didn't buy Madden this year because i paid $100 for the collector's edition last season. I guess people like me are the target lol. I'm fine with it though. When they stop playing the remove a feature/re add a feature game and actually put some work into making sports games enjoyable, i will think about buying another sports game from them.
Posted Image

#40 wildcpac

wildcpac

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:02 PM

I think there should be a 2 year window. I can understand taking down the servers for something that came out in 2006 but not something that came out 14 months ago.

#41 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:20 AM

I thought once a new Madden comes out, they shut down the old one. I don't think this list is that crazy.

Destro1.gif            DestroVega.jpg

#42 Cthulhu8u

Cthulhu8u

That Innsmouth look

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:34 AM

Maybe this is just another way for EA to try and make the GS/EB/game resellers of the world less profitable? Now those billions of copies of old sports games they have sitting around will become shovelware even faster.
Not that they can profit much from them beyond the first 3 months of shelf life I figure.

Posted Image

#43 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:47 AM

Maybe this is just another way for EA to try and make the GS/EB/game resellers of the world less profitable? Now those billions of copies of old sports games they have sitting around will become shovelware even faster.
Not that they can profit much from them beyond the first 3 months of shelf life I figure.

But how are potential customers going to know that EA shut the servers down? Not everyone follows gaming like we do here...

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#44 mrnomis27

mrnomis27

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2010 - 04:01 AM

I have no problem with EA doing this. What are the expectations here? How long should they keep the servers up?

#45 FroMann

FroMann

Follow FroMann!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:15 AM

Wow. That was fast. Sucks if your a Madden player I guess. I only buy games published by EA, rather than developed. So no concern for me.

#46 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:28 AM

At least they are announcing it... have they done that before?

Yeah.

http://www.ea.com/2/service-updates

#47 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:44 AM

This is the reason why I wish there were a rule banning trophies/achievements for games.

Fixed. I can still remember when the only achievement/trophy you got for playing a game was the satisfaction of having played and beaten a game.

People are too fuckin' obsessed with trophies and achievements anymore and some knuckleheads actually won't buy a game if it doesn't have them. :roll: Seriously? Play the games and enjoy them.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#48 Paco

Paco

GO TEAM GIRTH!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:57 AM

Fixed. I can still remember when the only achievement/trophy you got for playing a game was the satisfaction of having played and beaten a game.

People are too fuckin' obsessed with trophies and achievements anymore and some knuckleheads actually won't buy a game if it doesn't have them. :roll: Seriously? Play the games and enjoy them.

Finally The Cheap Ass with Mexican Brazilian internet has something I can agree with.
If you can't KOF with the best
Than Street Fight With The Rest

#49 CheepGamez

CheepGamez

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:36 PM

All of those games are sports titles that either have been discontinued, their replacements are out, or their replacements will soon be out. It is perfectly normal for them to want to get players of older versions to upgrade to the latest and one way is to knock the older versions offline. Wanna play Madden online, you have to buy the latest when it comes out every year. There is no law against that. What I do wish someone would do, though, instead of tying online play to a central server, allow players to host their own games through a peer to peer or distributed computing model so if a game is discontinued or the company goes out of business it can still be played by those who want to. For some games online play is what it's all about so they make the offline mode deliberately weak. After the server goes down, the game becomes worthless.

#50 Cthulhu8u

Cthulhu8u

That Innsmouth look

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:40 AM

But how are potential customers going to know that EA shut the servers down? Not everyone follows gaming like we do here...

And not everyone buys used like we do.
I imagine that the only customers that count in EA's books are those that buy the game new. Screw the cheapasses like us that take advantage of PP'd games, EA doesn't see cent one from that action. Therefore if a game's server shuts down after 2-3 years, (EA would say) whatever, it's lived its profitable life out by now. Anyone who buys it new after that is SOL, and the profit from that sale is just gravy in EA's books.

Posted Image

#51 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:29 AM

people are too fuckin' obsessed with trophies and achievements anymore and some knuckleheads actually won't buy a game if it doesn't have them. :roll: Seriously? Play the games and enjoy them.

qft

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#52 GamerLina

GamerLina

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:15 PM

ea has been doing a lotta cutbacks...lately

#53 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2010 - 03:37 PM

The only ones that would concern me are games that are the last in the series (ie. Nascar 09). It looks like right now that one is only being shut down in Europe for the PS3/360. But Microsoft should have somewhat of a vested interest in keeping that game alive since the only alternative will now be buying a PS3 and Gran Turismo 5.

It reminds me of College Hoops 2K8. That game still has a big online community over 2 years later since EA bought the rights to college basketball, even though 2K8 is still superior to anything they've released. Not to mention, games with online roster sharing can be updated and don't feel old at all.