Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Steam discussion topic! Joy and happiness, right here, folks.

• Please log in to reply
4293 replies to this topic

#4171 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:32 PM

Hey guys, I need a little advice. I just bought an MW3 code off of ebay and here were the instructions.

Did I buy a legit product? I haven't tried the instructions yet. When I used the product code on steam, it said the code wasn't available in my country (I'm USA). I'm a little weary of using this code and following the steps.

What you're looking at here is that he's asking you to use a VPN to connect to a server in another region (Ukraine), where you will activate an MW3 code that is region-specific (Ukraine). Because you're using a VPN, you will be, as far as Steam is concerned, in Ukraine at the time that you're activating the code.

In theory, this should work fine. But it invites questions. I'm not certain if doing this would violate the TOS for Steam. There's also the issue that you'd be getting a key from an unknown retailer... is it a stolen key? Was it generated by a key generator? We can't know that. And if it is in any way shady, Steam might yank the game from your account, or (worse case scenario) ban your account.

I know it's too late to change this now, but in the future you might ask the retailer what region the key comes from before you buy. Because MW3 is a Steamworks game, average people on ebay don't have spare keys laying about to sell. You'll find people trying to sell MW3 codes that they have activated by selling you their Steam account. This definitely violates the TOS (although it happens quite a bit).

Good luck... :-s

#4172 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:33 PM

If the only risk was having the game yanked, that wouldn't be too bad, but losing ones entire account is not worth the risk.

#4173 Josh5890

Josh5890

For AC New Leaf 3DS- 3110-4025-7228

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

I'm just going to ask for a refund. Thanks for the help.

Anyone have an MW3 code they want to sell lol?

I need a new signature.

#4174 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:36 PM

Good plan!

#4175 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

I'm just going to ask for a refund. Thanks for the help.

Anyone have an MW3 code they want to sell lol?

Good plan. Buying and activating keys from other regions is in violation of Steam's TOS and people have gotten their entire account denied for doing so. In Russia and Ukraine the games can be obscenely cheap due to sp much piracy so people try to buy keys from there cheap and sell then to US customers.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#4176 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:40 PM

Free Bastion key for anyone who is not buying Humble Bundle V, but I would strongly suggest buying it!

BUY THE BUNDLE! http://www.humblebundle.com/

But if you're somehow weird and don't buy it (I bought it and was only missing one of the games), then here you go:

**Claimed**

Edited by Jesse_Dylan, 01 June 2012 - 01:26 AM.

#4177 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:46 PM

Free Bastion key for anyone who is not buying Humble Bundle V, but I would strongly suggest buying it!

BUY THE BUNDLE! http://www.humblebundle.com/

But if you're somehow weird and don't buy it (I bought it and was only missing one of the games), then here you go:

PKC35-0XVBT-80L6Y

Please post once you've claimed it to save others the time of trying it out over and over. Use it under the Active Game option in one of the Steam menus ("games" I think)

Just redeemed for my kid. thanks jesse.
"I am the Walrus" "Shut the Fuck up Donnie"

Posted Image

#4178 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:25 AM

Excellent!! That's a good use for it. You're very welcome. I like kids, and I like Bastion. Thank you for using it!

#4179 red flare graf

red flare graf

Metalwrath

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:35 PM

Just an FYI and a promotion for the Steam community, but lately I've been posting deals on Steam games from non-Steam websites (since you'll obviously know when Steam's sales are going on). I think I've managed to land quite a few deals for people who wouldn't have otherwise known. Keep an eye out, and join the Steam community if you're interested!

Since I've somewhat read about Steam frowning upon foreign distributors, I've been limiting the deals to US and UK websites until I read otherwise.

#4180 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:36 PM

Keep doing this!! :) Very handy

#4181 red flare graf

red flare graf

Metalwrath

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:12 PM

Keep doing this!! :) Very handy

That's all I wanted to hear! 8-)

#4182 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

I noticed your posts too, Red flare graf. Thanks.

#4183 Woodlands

Woodlands

spɹɐʍʞɔɐq sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:20 PM

If you sign up for Steam Beta Updates (View->Settings->Account->Beta Participation-> Change...-> Steam Beta Updates->Restart) you can now set custom images in Grid View (Right Click->Set Custom Image).

If you're like me, you prefer Grid View in theory but end up in Detail View most of the time anyway. But hey, might as well get rid of that ugly icon for Team Fortress Beta. There's a long thread over at Neogaf where people are sharing custom images. Personally, I changed the images for Anomaly, Braid, and Oblivion to versions without the advertising and reviews all over them.

#4184 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:42 AM

Hunh. I just won my first gift from Steamgifts.com. Terraria. I was selected from 2300+ entrants! Geez.

I only do Steamgifts occasionally... go in and spread my 300 credits around. Didn't think I'd ever win, though.

Now I feel obliged to play terraria... a lot... so the gifter can see that I appreciate it. Heh.

#4185 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:13 AM

Hunh. I just won my first gift from Steamgifts.com. Terraria. I was selected from 2300+ entrants! Geez.

I only do Steamgifts occasionally... go in and spread my 300 credits around. Didn't think I'd ever win, though.

Now I feel obliged to play terraria... a lot... so the gifter can see that I appreciate it. Heh.

I do the same. Sign in and spread em around and then wait for the next round. Congrats on that though. I was wondering if we should start steamgift group for the CAG steam group. That way some of us could get rid of the extra codes and everyone would have a shot at them.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#4186 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:46 AM

If you sign up for Steam Beta Updates (View->Settings->Account->Beta Participation-> Change...-> Steam Beta Updates->Restart) you can now set custom images in Grid View (Right Click->Set Custom Image).

If you're like me, you prefer Grid View in theory but end up in Detail View most of the time anyway. But hey, might as well get rid of that ugly icon for Team Fortress Beta. There's a long thread over at Neogaf where people are sharing custom images. Personally, I changed the images for Anomaly, Braid, and Oblivion to versions without the advertising and reviews all over them.

Thanks for the headsup! This is the kind of thing that could suck hours from my life. Not unlike gaming in general...

edit: except I forgot that one of the reasons I stopped using Grid view is that it takes forever (24 min and counting) for all the images to appear...

Edited by dfg, 07 June 2012 - 03:10 AM.

¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#4187 mjontrix

mjontrix

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:35 AM

edit: except I forgot that one of the reasons I stopped using Grid view is that it takes forever (24 min and counting) for all the images to appear...

HOLY CRAP! How many games do you have?!

BTW whoever had the idea of including bastion in the indie bundle was a genius... Now include Minecraft or Analogue in the next one :)

#4188 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:52 AM

HOLY CRAP! How many games do you have?!

BTW whoever had the idea of including bastion in the indie bundle was a genius... Now include Minecraft or Analogue in the next one :)

Over 500, but none of them loaded after waiting more than several minutes.

I've noticed the client has been flakier in recent years, with pages not loading, screenshots and pages taking really long to load. Relatively minor annoyances, but it's starting to feel like Firefox (i.e. bloated).
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#4189 Woodlands

Woodlands

spɹɐʍʞɔɐq sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

Over 500, but none of them loaded after waiting more than several minutes.

I've noticed the client has been flakier in recent years, with pages not loading, screenshots and pages taking really long to load. Relatively minor annoyances, but it's starting to feel like Firefox (i.e. bloated).

It can be slow for me too (<200 games, but boy do those indie bundle accumulate). I think it's because the client clears or reloads the cache if you haven't used grid view in a while. Then it loads the images from the 'net and it takes forever.

Posted from my Firefox browser.

#4190 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:56 PM

I noticed a slow down too awhile back. In fact, my entire friend list did not load once and since then I had to re-add friends and group. I've also be unable to gift for like 2 months straight then last week I was able to gift.

I decided to only have 10 to 40 games installed from STEAM at a time and just knock out all of the SP stuff first so that I can leave the MP stuff installed to play with others.

Megazell's Free and Legal PC Games!

http://freeandlegalpcgames.wordpress.com/

It's free or Fuck it!

#4191 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

I noticed a slow down too awhile back. In fact, my entire friend list did not load once and since then I had to re-add friends and group. I've also be unable to gift for like 2 months straight then last week I was able to gift.

I decided to only have 10 to 40 games installed from STEAM at a time and just knock out all of the SP stuff first so that I can leave the MP stuff installed to play with others.

I thought it was just me. Steam has gotten progressively worse over time. This week alone I've had to do restarts for inventory not loading, Steam just forever processing an uninstall, and taking forever to activate a key.

#4192 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:54 AM

It can be slow for me too (<200 games, but boy do those indie bundle accumulate). I think it's because the client clears or reloads the cache if you haven't used grid view in a while. Then it loads the images from the 'net and it takes forever.

Posted from my Firefox browser.

That makes sense + lul.

I haven't had any of those specific problems but I stopped keeping non-Steam games in my library because the shortcuts sometimes vanish and the categories get reset or disappear. I used to not keep many games installed but laziness/slack creeps in with a large HDD (before this build, I was always juggling space). I wonder if having less total Steam files installed would improve client performance significantly.

I thought it was just me. Steam has gotten progressively worse over time. This week alone I've had to do restarts for inventory not loading, Steam just forever processing an uninstall, and taking forever to activate a key.

I've also not had those problems, luckily, but I have a relatively small inventory (hardly ever play any of those games).

I hope they have people working on a newer, cleaner version of the client.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#4193 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:51 AM

I wonder if having less total Steam files installed would improve client performance significantly.

I had a corrupted Steam installation a few months back and I took that opportunity to uninstall Steam, blow the folder structure away, and then reinstall onto a new internal hard disk. The only real change I noticed was that Steam started up faster. Everything else seeemed about the same to me. But I also don't keep more than 5-8 games installed at a time. But wow, there were so many old sub-folders from games and demos that I had previously installed/uninstalled.

Don't forget that if you want to try something like this, you don't have to re-download all of your games. You can use the game backup utility in Steam to backup your games somewhere else. Then reinstall from the backups after you've reinstalled Steam. It's not fast by any means, but it's faster than downloading, unless you have access to a really fat pipe.

#4194 red flare graf

red flare graf

Metalwrath

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:02 AM

I think you guys have bad luck, I've had the same Steam install since Windows 7 came out and no issues at all. 8-)

Crap, knock on wood..

#4195 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:46 AM

I wish, when a game updates, that clicking on "View Details" would actually give me details, instead of taking me to the game's entry in my Library, where more often than not, there is no info about what the hell the update was about.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#4196 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:01 PM

I wish, when a game updates, that clicking on "View Details" would actually give me details, instead of taking me to the game's entry in my Library, where more often than not, there is no info about what the hell the update was about.

The update info is considered "News".

From the Downloads page, click "View News" (it's right next to "View Details".)

From the library, right-click on your game, select "View News".

Or, from the store page, click "Read Related News" in the right column at the very bottom.

Sometimes, the actual update information takes an hour or two to show up in the game's News feed. If, by chance, you're looking for the update info for the Civ 5 patch that hit today, it's already there in the news feed; lots of details.

#4197 Megazell

Megazell

Linux Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:19 PM

I think you guys have bad luck, I've had the same Steam install since Windows 7 came out and no issues at all. 8-)

Crap, knock on wood..

How many games do you have installed on STEAM?

Megazell's Free and Legal PC Games!

http://freeandlegalpcgames.wordpress.com/

It's free or Fuck it!

#4198 red flare graf

red flare graf

Metalwrath

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:44 PM

How many games do you have installed on STEAM?

62, recently uninstalled some to clear up disk space but not many. I have 130ish games.

#4199 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:30 PM

mine is all bollocksed up. A couple weeks ago I reinstalled steam according to their process and my entire library of installed games was greyed out. the files themselves were never moved and were still in place. Steam will sometimes verify the files when i tell it to install and be done in seconds, other times it will redownload the entire game as if it was a fresh install. Steam support was useless.
"I am the Walrus" "Shut the Fuck up Donnie"

Posted Image

#4200 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:08 AM

The update info is considered "News".

From the Downloads page, click "View News" (it's right next to "View Details".)

From the library, right-click on your game, select "View News".

Or, from the store page, click "Read Related News" in the right column at the very bottom.

Sometimes, the actual update information takes an hour or two to show up in the game's News feed. If, by chance, you're looking for the update info for the Civ 5 patch that hit today, it's already there in the news feed; lots of details.

Not Civ 5, but Killing Floor. And there is nothing in the recent KF news feed regarding the update. I surmise it has something to do with an RO2 update, such as how TF2 updates push through DOD:S too.

I was aware of the two buttons right next to each other, but I guess what I'm bitching for is a changelog or something to accompany the update, and to appear when clicking View Details. As in, view-the-details-of-this-transient-update-item. The News area should be reserved for the industry babble that regularly overpopulates that section.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image