Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Steam discussion topic! Joy and happiness, right here, folks.

• Please log in to reply
4292 replies to this topic

#2071 freddy_

freddy_

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:37 PM

Anyone wanna vouch for KANE & LYNCH being worth $5?

I would grab it for $5 but its 7.5€ here so i'm kinda doubting...
Posted Image

#2072 CoffeeEdge

CoffeeEdge

Resident Communaut

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:55 PM

Why OG HL isn't free at this point I have no idea.

Well, it's not exactly standard industry practice for games to go freeware after hitting 10+ years of age, or anything. Why should HL be any exception?
Hi...

DID SOMEBODY SAY "TOOT"?!?
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image I WILL MOTHERF--KING BAN THE F--KING SHIT OUT OF YOU Posted Image

Posted Image

#2073 fart_bubble

fart_bubble

A fart that says "Ni"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:01 PM

Well, it's not exactly standard industry practice for games to go freeware after hitting 10+ years of age, or anything. Why should HL be any exception?

Because Megazell compels it to?
Posted ImagePosted Image

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats

#2074 Mike UFC

Mike UFC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:06 PM

Anyone wanna vouch for KANE & LYNCH being worth $5?

Buyer beware regarding it working on your rig. My system SHOULD run it pretty well but it's near unplayable and abandoned by the devs, so don't expect any patches either. Disappointing because it seems like fun.

#2075 ammowasted

ammowasted

Canadian Bacon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:11 PM

Looking for an extra copy of L4D2 from the 4 pack...PM me please.
Posted Image

#2076 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:17 PM

Pretty sure those extra greyed out ones are the mac versions.

Ah, okay! Thanks. Kinda obtrusive, though. It won't let me install them, so obviously it knows I don't have a Mac... so I wonder why they show up at all? Oh well.

#2077 CoffeeEdge

CoffeeEdge

Resident Communaut

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:20 PM

Ah, okay! Thanks. Kinda obtrusive, though. It won't let me install them, so obviously it knows I don't have a Mac... so I wonder why they show up at all? Oh well.

It's a glitch, basically. For some reason, they weren't able to get both the PC and Mac versions of the CivIV games in a single Steam AppID entry, so, as a (hopefully) temporary solution, they've had to make them entirely separate entries, meaning that for now, they show up twice in your games list.
Hi...

Posted Image

#2078 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:26 PM

Well, it'll be cool if they fix it, but if not, I'll live. I'm just happy to have them on Steam.

#2079 SEH

SEH

Paul's sister is an alien

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:39 PM

It just seems odd that HL wouldnt be something that Valve would give away just for creating a Steam account. It's old, cheap, and like THE game that launched Valve, it seems like a prime candidate to be a freebie. Don't act like they haven't been known to give away some of their games before.

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#2080 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:50 PM

Any thoughts on the Space Rangers games, particularly the second one? Got shockingly good reviews.

#2081 CoffeeEdge

CoffeeEdge

Resident Communaut

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:53 PM

Any thoughts on the Space Rangers games, particularly the second one? Got shockingly good reviews.

It's shockingly good.
Hi...

Posted Image

#2082 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:55 PM

I better wait til the last day anyhow. Never thought Gothic would be a daily, but there it was, by gum, and I'm glad I waited. Not like I'll have time to play any of these anyway.

Tho Space Rangers 2 looks so cool I just might. What about the first one?

#2083 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:34 PM

If anyone has an extra copy of Left 4 Dead 2 from a 4-pack, I'd like to take it. Forgot to get one for somebody.

Today's deals aren't bad. But I really wish the Half Life 1 expansions were on sale for less too.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#2084 VGmnk

VGmnk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:56 PM

Buying games on Steam has almost become a game in itself - trying to get the maximum amount of gaming goodness for the lowest price possible. Packs, daily deals and other non-holiday sales make for some difficult decisions.

I hear you on that--I have all these games I've installed, but never ran, and games I haven't even installed yet. I used to pick up oldies like AvP for the cheap price, but now I think why bother? there are plenty of recent hits that go on sale for a couple bucks more, not to mention indie games...its the reason I skipped on iD pack--doubt I'd play more than an hour of any of the dooms combined.

#2085 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:05 PM

Is the Downloads tab being stupid for anyone else? I click "pause" on some, it doesn't work. "Pause All" doesn't respond. Downloading a few games, but the one I want NOW is "suspended". Trying to pause the rest so the suspended one can go seems to do nothing.

Oi. Guess I should just be patient and let it do its damn thing. One place (and maybe the only place) where I think Impulse has Steam beat is how well and seamlessly it downloads and installs stuff.

#2086 VGmnk

VGmnk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:12 PM

Buyer beware regarding it working on your rig. My system SHOULD run it pretty well but it's near unplayable and abandoned by the devs, so don't expect any patches either. Disappointing because it seems like fun.

bummer, looks like a great deal and fun game, but I rather not chance it, especially since I have gyromancer just sitting there, not playable. After trying to troubleshoot it with square enix, finally they gave up and said to try and reinstall again (didn't work) and then no response from them....no refund or anything either. Since someone in forums had a similar video card, it was concluded the video card was the issue with the game not launching, I think I'll just pass.

#2087 VGmnk

VGmnk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:14 PM

Is the Downloads tab being stupid for anyone else? I click "pause" on some, it doesn't work. "Pause All" doesn't respond. Downloading a few games, but the one I want NOW is "suspended". Trying to pause the rest so the suspended one can go seems to do nothing.

Oi. Guess I should just be patient and let it do its damn thing. One place (and maybe the only place) where I think Impulse has Steam beat is how well and seamlessly it downloads and installs stuff.

You know, I think it has to do with the new steam UI--it looks ok enough (the change in appearance didn't really do anything to me either way) but I feel its a bit more sluggish (sometimes I double click on a game in the list, and it loads something else) and I've noticed issues with the download page as well. I preferred the previous steam UI personally.

#2088 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:22 PM

I have gotten kinda used to this one and don't mind it, but yeah, the downloading seems wonky. :s The old one you could just click "Download" on 50 things with abandon and leave it alone.

I switched to the India server. Slow, but at least it works.

#2089 DukeEdwardI

DukeEdwardI

Whose Queens?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:27 PM

Jesse, yeah I have that problem too. It seems I constantly have to baby it and continue clicking on the pause/resume button. But it only happens with Valve games, IIRC.

Also, about your problem, there's a 'block all communication' button when you click on the little arrow to the right of a friend's name. Hopefully you can do that so I can actually see you online!

Just found out that they raised the price of The Witcher (yeah old news, but I was gone all day yesterday!) and that pisses me off. I KNEW I should have bought it on the first day and now Valve/Atari see it fit to double the price? Stupid.

If anybody knows of somebody willing to buy DoW2 main, direct them to me. I'll keep an eye out in the main deal thread too. I had somebody, but he didn't like the demo and bailed on me. Oh well.

#2090 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:36 PM

Yeah Jesse, you need to hurry up and quit hiding. All these multiplayer games you're buying and we can't play with you right now. Can't have that.

-Paul Acevedo

#2091 Brownjohn

Brownjohn

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:20 PM

I'm going to post what I wrote in the Steam sale thread for anyone having issues with Max Payne on Win7/Vista:

If anyone's having an issue with Max Payne and sound in Vista/Win7, check out this page:http://forums.3dreal...ead.php?t=35504

I've got Win 7 Pro 64 and couldn't hear the opening movie, and it was skipping a lot of the gun shots and foot steps. I've only played the game for about 1/2 hour so far, but it fixed all the issues I was having.

To each his own.

#2092 RedGamer

RedGamer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:21 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about the Witcher. You can -hope- for a daily deal at 75% off, which would set it at $5.00. So don't.. sell yourself short just yet.

On that note, Serious Sam HD: First Encounter is awesome. I've never really played the old-school arcade shooter games and with the shiny coat of paint on it, it makes it alot more palatable. Even with the original graphics I would be content because the insanity of the game, especially the huge quantity of constant enemies makes it such an addicting game.

The one part that I really love about these sales on Steam is the fact that it introduces you to alot of series, games and genre's that you are not usually accustom to. And then you can enjoy them.

#2093 AndrewCP

AndrewCP

I'veGotBallsOfSteel!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:53 AM

I'm going to post what I wrote in the Steam sale thread for anyone having issues with Max Payne on Win7/Vista:

Thanks for that Brownjohn, I just bit on the Max Payne bundle as I always wanted to play the games and had interest ever since the first was released. Played the demo for the first game and thought it kicked ass then. Seemed a good deal for both games.
Posted Image
Thanks to QiG for the kick-ass Duke Nukem Cocksmas Avatar

#2094 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:48 AM

Ha! Yeah, I'll try blocking dude... I[m worried he'll notice! But if so, oh well. He's such a crank!

So what's the deal when a game is available on Steam and then disappears? I really wanted to buy Risen (a more than decent RPG by the people who made the Gothic games), but it's been gone for months with no sign of return. I was waiting for a deal, of course, or I woulda just bought it...

#2095 freddy_

freddy_

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:02 AM

Ha! Yeah, I'll try blocking dude... I[m worried he'll notice! But if so, oh well. He's such a crank!

So what's the deal when a game is available on Steam and then disappears? I really wanted to buy Risen (a more than decent RPG by the people who made the Gothic games), but it's been gone for months with no sign of return. I was waiting for a deal, of course, or I woulda just bought it...

Its in the swe/eur shop so its probably some copyright crap like always.
Posted Image

#2096 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:52 AM

Well dang! Time to find me a disc copy I guess, then. I really like that one. Had the demo on Steam, even. Sad. Steam's loss! It's a really cool game and would be a great $10 deal or something. (I'd even pay $25, and I'm super cheap!)

Also wish Drakensang would go down. $8 on Amazon. $20 on Steam. Then again, $8 seems like a lot considering how much stuff goes for during the sales. :)

#2097 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:07 AM

Some impressions I posted in the summer sale thread:

jt9o-KmT2dM

Buccaneer: The Pursuit of Infamy is all about the ship-portion of being a pirate. From your base, you select a map and then choose missions to go on. These include things like sinking ships, capturing cargo, ramming fishing boats, charting islands, destroying towns, etc. The ship combat is all about getting beside another ship and plugging away, or finding a good angle to hit them while sailing around them. It's different from most games, but appropriate. The controls are super simple, too. WASD for steering, Space Bar for anchor, and Mouse 1 & 2 for firing the cannons on either side of the ship.

Between missions you can upgrade your ship, buy new ships, supplies, etc.. The story is told by text screens before and after missions, but the game doesn't focus too heavily on it. It's really all about the combat. There's also co-op and versus multiplayer, and Steam Achievements. The graphics are simple but lovely, with dolphins and fish beneath the beautiful water and seagulls in the sky.

If you like pirates, it's definitely a good buy for $2.50. And there's a demo!

Edited by eastx, 28 June 2010 - 05:21 AM.

-Paul Acevedo

#2098 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:12 PM

Some impressions I posted in the summer sale thread:

jt9o-KmT2dM

Buccaneer: The Pursuit of Infamy is all about the ship-portion of being a pirate. From your base, you select a map and then choose missions to go on. These include things like sinking ships, capturing cargo, ramming fishing boats, charting islands, destroying towns, etc. The ship combat is all about getting beside another ship and plugging away, or finding a good angle to hit them while sailing around them. It's different from most games, but appropriate. The controls are super simple, too. WASD for steering, Space Bar for anchor, and Mouse 1 & 2 for firing the cannons on either side of the ship.

Between missions you can upgrade your ship, buy new ships, supplies, etc.. The story is told by text screens before and after missions, but the game doesn't focus too heavily on it. It's really all about the combat. There's also co-op and versus multiplayer, and Steam Achievements. The graphics are simple but lovely, with dolphins and fish beneath the beautiful water and seagulls in the sky.

If you like pirates, it's definitely a good buy for $2.50. And there's a demo!

That game does look pretty cool, gonna try the demo.

#2099 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:17 PM

Wow, I can't believe there's nothing for me today. :)

To be fair, I already have King Arthur and the Monkey Island pack and really like both a lot. I even have a few of the Europa Universalis games (Impulse had the Complete for like $7 once), tho I haven't really played them, and Oddworld from... sometime... for nostalgia's sake.

Jeez, maybe I have a problem.

If you like strategy or the setting, grab King Arthur! It's better than the reviews even. Monkey Island is a great deal at this price, too.

#2100 Hydro2Oxide

Hydro2Oxide

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:18 PM

I'm surprised no one is talking about Dogfighter, it looks a bit like Crimson Skies. I may bite at this price.