Are PS2 games blue?

Ruahrc

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I have a semi-random question. Are PS2 games blue? Like is the color of the plastic on the CD blue? I just received Ico in the mail from Goozex. I am going to give it to a friend as I don't own a PS2. I opened it up and had a quick look at the game disc and noticed that it was a deep blue color (the back, not the side with the label). I am not familiar at all with Sony consoles (never owned one) although I do recall PS1 games being made in black plastic and they didn't look silver/shiny like standard optical media. I know that the game should read okay as the laser uses infared wavelengths to read the data, but just making sure the disc I have is correct.

Thanks a lot

Ruahrc

A few PS2 games are blue. ICO is one of them.

These blue discs are CDs, not DVDs like most PS2 games.

[quote name='Ruahrc']Cool thanks! I didn't realize that Ico was so old.[/QUOTE]
Age has nothing to do with the format (CD or DVD), although ICO did begin development on the PS1 fyi.

Personally, I'd watch out w/ playing too many CD-ROM games on your PS2 -- esp. if it's one of the older models. PS2s tend to make a lot of noise playing CD-ROM games and I swear mine sounds like it's breaking inside. This explains why my copy of ICO was bought new, opened, played once for 5 minutes, taken out, put away and hasn't seen daylight since.

Ahh the blue discs, that was cool. The cool PS1 Black discs were awesome as well. Ahh.... good old memories.

The black PS1 colored CDs were an attempt to prevent piracy which was not very successful but I guess they thought they would try it again on the PS2 CD games. Colored DVDs probably screws something up with the laser reading the DVDs since Sony never tried those on the PS2.

[quote name='Owen']The black PS1 colored CDs were an attempt to prevent piracy which was not very successful but I guess they thought they would try it again on the PS2 CD games. Colored DVDs probably screws something up with the laser reading the DVDs since Sony never tried those on the PS2.[/QUOTE]
The color of the disc is completely transparent to the laser. Sony's reasons for using a particular color (or none at all) are arbitrary. I suspect they just wanted to differentiate their discs from other CD-based media.

[quote name='Owen']The black PS1 colored CDs were an attempt to prevent piracy which was not very successful but I guess they thought they would try it again on the PS2 CD games. Colored DVDs probably screws something up with the laser reading the DVDs since Sony never tried those on the PS2.[/QUOTE]
The black colored PS1 discs were pretty cool.

Yes that's normal sir.

Street Fighter EX ?3? or ?2?..... The PS2 one..... was another scary PS2 blue disc thingy...... It was loud as hell in my PS2 and I thought they made games load faster. Every blue disc PS2 game I played had basically no load times from what I remembered. But I'm loosing my mind so whatever :whistle2:k

Yeah those colored disc-bottoms were neat. I was surprised that you could still play the music tracks on some of them with a normal CD player. Wipeout 3 doubled as a nice techno compilation.

[quote name='USB Cable']Yes that's normal sir.

Street Fighter EX ?3? or ?2?..... The PS2 one..... was another scary PS2 blue disc thingy...... It was loud as hell in my PS2 and I thought they made games load faster. Every blue disc PS2 game I played had basically no load times from what I remembered. But I'm loosing my mind so whatever :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

Madden 2001 disagrees.

bread's done
Back