Firefighter - $18 @ Amazon & at Walmart (UPDATED OP 1/15)

roland13x

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
My studio's original Wii game, Real Heroes: Firefighter, just got its first price drop, and it's now down to $20 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Real-Heroes-F..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1263007927&sr=8-1

It's a pretty damn fun game, and pretty unique too. I'm totally biased of course, but for $20, you'll get your fun out of it. I'd challenge most gamers to beat it on Hard mode.

Kinda cool seeing that we're now a top-100 selling game on Amazon. Not bad for a game that had no marketing and terrible distribution.

PS - We're getting close to announcing our next project, which is going to be really cool. As a hint...
http://www.facebook.com/RockoftheDead

UPDATE
Looks like we killed Amazon. They are now saying 2-4 weeks before shipping. I'm really hoping we can get them to restock sooner. We ended up being the #51st best selling game on all of Amazon, which is pretty amazing considering not many people heard about the game.

I just wanted to give a hearty THANK YOU to everyone here for being so supportive. This is the only message board I regularly check out, and between the friendly and informative posts and stuff like the Child's Play donations, it's a nice feeling having a sense of community here. Thanks everyone!

UPDATE AGAIN
Looks like it's back in stock. It's like magic!

UPDATE AGAIN AGAIN
And now Walmart.com has it for $18.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11077889

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you're a developer let me take a moment to say please put some more effort into the art on the case insert. It might have helped with the no marketing from Crave thing (surprise another developer that doesn't show any confidence in its Wii products...), because in that situation all you've really got are a smattering of reviews and the off chance that the case catches a shoppers eye at Target or whatever.

well im supporting you. i bought my copy yesterday when the price dropped. ive heard good things about the game. looking forward to see how well it plays.

[quote name='Gaming-Module']Since you're a developer let me take a moment to say please put some more effort into the art on the case insert. It might have helped with the no marketing from Crave thing (surprise another developer that doesn't show any confidence in its Wii products...), because in that situation all you've really got are a smattering of reviews and the off chance that the case catches a shoppers eye at Target or whatever.[/QUOTE]

You'd be surprised...we focus-tested the cover art with a lot of people, and it was very well received with what we thought was going to be our core audience (kids 8-11 year old). We hoped but didn't expect to get the more core gamer interested in the game however, and obviously the art might not appeal to them.

Seriously though, go to Best Buy and take a look at the shelves of Wii games. It's absolutely filled with an explosion of pastel puke. Granted we don't have the highest of art on the cover, but we're better than most.

Same with the name. Yeah, it sounds a bit generic, but it says exactly what the game is so that a parent will see it and instantly know that this is a game about firefighters. Go talk to the average parent and ask them what half the Wii titles even mean.

And trust me, the art had nothing to do with the lack of marketing support.

Anyway, lessons are always learned.

[quote name='killer ladoo']well im supporting you. i bought my copy yesterday when the price dropped. ive heard good things about the game. looking forward to see how well it plays.[/QUOTE]

Very much appreciated! I'm not going to say it's the greatest game in the world, but it is absolutely an honest labor of love, especially considering the budget and tech we had to work with. It's an honest game, and not a piece of "let's make sequel X" or "license Y".

Seriously, thank you for the support, and we hope you have fun with it!

I bought this from GameStop new back when it was $30 or $40.... If you're donating to firefighters I'll buy from those losers, especially if the reviews were to be believed, which they were.

They were the only distributor to have it then. If I knew Sam's was going to have a ghost of a chance of picking it up... hell, if I even IMAGINED that was possible...

EDIT: djduke, the actual game has surprisingly good voice work.

[quote name='djduke316']Also, please work on the voice acting. The dialog for the info video was beyond cheesy.[/QUOTE]

Info video? The one on Amazon? Oh my f'n god...again, don't get me started. We didn't do that video, had nothing to do with it. It's embarrassing. Seriously, I have difficulty talking about it without getting upset.

The in-game dialog and VO is actually really damn good. We got legit actors (James Marsters, Michael Jace, Jenette Goldstein, John DiMaggio, Jaime Kennedy and Jack McGee) to read the lines for the fellow firefighters from a script written by the guys who wrote Call of Duty: Big Red One. It's solid. Some of the various victims are friends and family, and they aren't always the best, but 90% of it is some great VO work.

Man, I'm getting angry just thinking about that video again...

[quote name='roland13x']My studio's original Wii game, Real Heroes: Firefighter, just got its first price drop, and it's now down to $20 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Real-Heroes-F..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1263007927&sr=8-1

It's a pretty damn fun game, and pretty unique too. I'm totally biased of course, but for $20, you'll get your fun out of it. I'd challenge most gamers to beat it on Hard mode.

Kinda cool seeing that we're now a top-100 selling game on Amazon. Not bad for a game that had no marketing (thanks...for nothing Crave) and terrible distribution.

PS - We're getting close to announcing our next project, which is going to be really cool. As a hint...
http://www.facebook.com/RockoftheDead[/QUOTE]

As a firefirefighter, and a gamer. It's pretty much a must buy... Awesome news on the price drop!

I would buy your game if I had a Wii. Once I get one I'm going to pick it up. I hope you get some more sales!

[quote name='RollingSkull']
EDIT: djduke, the actual game has surprisingly good voice work.[/QUOTE]

That's good to know. If the game really is that good I'll pick it up. It reminds me of that firefighter arcade game Sega made a few years back.

Curious. Was the "Real Heroes" brand name created out of desire from the developers or as part of the publishing process?

If your'e curious, it's that apparent "brand" in the title that turns me away from buying.

[quote name='roland13x']Anyway, lessons are always learned.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about the Wii pastel puke shelf thing. I really like the case art of most of the games I own, such as Dawn of Discovery, A Boy and his Blob, Broken Sword, de Blob, Cursed Mountain, Madworld not to mention all of the Nintendo first party stuff that mostly has great case art. Upcoming games like Fragile and Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom have great art that caught my eye and made me want to find screenshots and videos.

My problem with yours is that it looks like it belongs with Monster 4x4, Paws and Claws Pet Vet and Alien Monster Bowling League, i.e. terribly generic looking shovelware that, judging from their current prices, didn't even sell that well to the casual crowd.

Maybe lose the focus group next time, hire a passionate artist and instruct him to make an interesting piece of cover art that looks clean and stylistic while still featuring the visual cues needed to let people know what your game is about.

And yeah that video was terrible. I watched it after making my first post and was pretty appalled. Most of us respect firefighters for what they do, but many folks are tired of the 9/11 flavored aggrandized hero-worship, which is exactly what that video appears to be channeling.

The actual gameplay does look surprisingly solid though. I saw a quote from IGN that said your game is varied and it certainly looked that way. The graphics are kind of primitive, but like you said you only had so much to work with and you're on the Wii.

I might track down a copy on Ebay and based on my experience give your next effort a shot when it's out.

[quote name='Gaming-Module']I don't know about the Wii pastel puke shelf thing. I really like the case art of most of the games I own, such as Dawn of Discovery, A Boy and his Blob, Broken Sword, de Blob, Cursed Mountain, Madworld not to mention all of the Nintendo first party stuff that mostly has great case art. Upcoming games like Fragile and Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom have great art that caught my eye and made me want to find screenshots and videos.

My problem with yours is that it looks like it belongs with Monster 4x4, Paws and Claws Pet Vet and Alien Monster Bowling League, i.e. terribly generic looking shovelware that, judging from their current prices, didn't even sell that well to the casual crowd.

Maybe lose the focus group next time, hire a passionate artist and instruct him to make an interesting piece of cover art that looks clean and stylistic while still featuring the visual cues needed to let people know what your game is about.

And yeah that video was terrible. I watched it after making my first post and was pretty appalled. Most of us respect firefighters for what they do, but many folks are tired of the 9/11 flavored aggrandized hero-worship, which is exactly what that video appears to be channeling.

The actual gameplay does look surprisingly solid though. I saw a quote from IGN that said your game is varied and it certainly looked that way. The graphics are kind of primitive, but like you said you only had so much to work with and you're on the Wii.

I might track down a copy on Ebay and based on my experience give your next effort a shot when it's out.[/QUOTE]

There's something about not judging a book by it's cover isn't there? Seriously, I'm all for dazzling cover art in regards to sales. But this is the stuff hidden gems are made of. So, the soccer moms out there who bought Wii Music probably won't pick this up for their kids.

But the savy gamers who actually read game reviews before making their purchases are going to see the surprisingly stellar reviews about the "Little Developer That Could" (sorry, don't mean to sound patronizing), and be impressed with what they were able to accomplish.

I've bought so many games over the past couple weeks, I was going to hold out on this one. But upon looking around Gamestop.com and other retailers on the web, there don't seem to be many copies out there.

Anyone remember that Firefighter FD18 game for PS2? Anyone seen it in a store lately? Or see how much it costs? I wouldn't be surprised if this game is very hard to find after the initial stock runs out. These are niche games, people. Finding one that's done well is rare enough. Needless to say, I placed my order.

Oh, also, +50 points for having Spike from Buffy/Angel in this game! Too bad he won't be British, I'm sure, haha.

Thanks for the heads up OP. A little self promotion helped me learn more about this hidden gem.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Anyone remember that Firefighter FD18 game for PS2? Anyone seen it in a store lately? Or see how much it costs? I wouldn't be surprised if this game is very hard to find after the initial stock runs out. These are niche games, people. Finding one that's done well is rare enough. Needless to say, I placed my order.[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity I checked gamestop.com and the closest new copy of Real Heroes: Firefighter is 47 miles away and used copy is 60+ miles away, so it's already got the makings of a tough-to-find title.

I remember Bozon over at IGN having good things to say about it during one of their few podcasts. The Wii's controls are perfect for this theme, I'm surprised there aren't more of them.

I agree with the box art. You'd be surprised how influential the packaging can be when you're that young. That cover would only appeal to kids in some firefighter phase. You have to grab their attention and define that this product is a quality title. Otherwise it will be overlooked with all the other shovelware it resembles.

I almost posted this last night when I saw it.
Does anyone know how many of these were printed? I doubt it could be that high. I never bit at $30 or even B2G1. But when it dropped on amazon, the stock changed to "OUT OF STOCK order now, we'll let you know when we get more..." I checked other sites, noticed that almost no one has it, and even on ebay was selling for >$40. So I thought it was gone from amazon for good and the $19.99 was a clearance fluke. Then Amazon stock suddenly moved to 3 in stock, so I ordered one. But apparently amazon has found a decent supply already. And my gamestops claim to be in stock locally. So not sure how rare it actually is.

[quote name='Clarke']Quick question. Why the Wii?[/QUOTE]

Do you even have to ask? Try holding and aiming an xbox controller like a fire hose...

Thanks OP! Sounded interesting enough and since SEGA hasn't released "Brave Firefighters" for the Wii, this will do. Also, Vasquez from "Aliens". Coolbeans.

Ordered.

[quote name='salty tbone']Just out of curiosity I checked gamestop.com and the closest new copy of Real Heroes: Firefighter is 47 miles away and used copy is 60+ miles away, so it's already got the makings of a tough-to-find title.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's basically what I discovered too. Hell, I'm almost thinking of ordering another just to keep sealed to cash in 2+ years from now. It just has a "one of those games" feel to it.

While it was definitely shameless self promotion ;), the game does seem pretty decent from the reviews, all things considered.. and gotta support a fellow CAG! I just ordered one...

OP-- can you tell us what you did on the game?

[quote name='pacifickarma']I want to pull the trigger on this, but I can't help but think that I'm paying to simulate some other guy's 9-5 job.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but it's not like it's "Real Heroes: CPA". I mean, "some other guy's 9-5 job" is to play guitar in a rock band. Another guy's is to lead his squad and shoot enemy soldiers. And another guy's is to score 40 points a night shooting a round ball through a hoop. The fact is, some "jobs" are just more exciting than others.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yeah, but it's not like it's "Real Heroes: CPA".[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

Yeah, you're simulating a job, but even if the game sometimes gets a little repetitive putting out so many flames, I couldn't help but be amused. There is absolutely nothing else like this game on the market, especially at this quality. It's unique.

just checked GameStop, no used copies w/in 100 miles! that is the first time I've seen that. Seem to be new copies everywhere though...and w/ 3 going on AZ for almost $70 (which I hope just aren't three devs of this game ;) ), I've got to get this!!

Because it's the cheapest of the three consoles to develop for?

[quote name='runpuddrun']As a firefirefighter, and a gamer. It's pretty much a must buy... Awesome news on the price drop![/QUOTE]

Same here. Not a FF anymore, however. I just don't have the time.

Lots of good answers for this one:

1) The game engine. No HD means reduced development costs. This is the biggest reason that games like this, Endless Ocean, Major Minor's Majestic March, Blast Works, Elebits, and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, are on the Wii and not on the PS3 and 360--its just cheaper to build non-HD games. HD development takes lots of resources ($$), massively increases costs ($$), and increases the risk of losing your shirt if the game doesn't sell ($$). The infrastructure to develop for the Wii more closely matches the last gen Gamecube and PS2 development model--and there are more developers available with those skill sets as well. Shops like From Software (Tenchu, Armored Core) have always specialized in minimal investment in their game engines, rapid and cheap development, and niche sales--as long as they can deliver to a consistent installed base, they can keep making money with low risk (Demon Souls being the surprising exception). Easy game engines, means easy porting, and lots of shovelware like all those PS2 games from the UK (Ninja Breadman) that popped up.

2) The console install base. "Lair" anyone? Its easier to spread the risk across a larger install base and not lose your shirt. The Wii's adoption rate is insane, and still growing. Like it or not, the Wii has finally mainstreamed video games--you can't argue with the numbers.

3) The Long Tail. Nintendo has proven its titles still sell long after release. Look at the top games sales any month--Mario Kart Wii and DS are still on the best seller charts. Take Two may complain about GTA Chinatown Wars on the DS, but I bet their sales for that title will have doubled by next year. Heavy Wii and DS adoption is still ongoing, and folks will find these games sooner or later. Unfortunately, the US distribution model is not long tail friendly, and only celebrates the first two weeks of release--after that many distributors dump their games to the wholesale distributors. Its a damn shame our system is set-up like that, and it is one of the reasons EA is crying in their cereal--they don't have a financial model for the Wii to support the long tail, which takes longer to reach targeted sales numbers. Ever notice that Nintendo does not drop prices on first party games? Have you seen the retail prices on Animal Crossing Wild World DS or any of the Pokemon or Mario titles lately? They are still at or near their original price points, and they are still selling like hotcakes.

4) Unique interface. Its the Wii--what developer can resist trying to add a little waggle to their games?

And a little tangent here:
5) Ubisoft. Everyone is trying to find out how Ubi is printing their own money ala Nintendo. Ubi has mastered the art of balancing titles like Assassin's Creed II against the Imagine series on the DS. While EA continues to try and find its ass this gen, Ubi and Petz are laughing all the way to the bank with Nintendo. Petz is the reason Ubi can keep Splinter Cell in development for years--much like Madden probably bank rolls just about everything from EA, and Halo keeps MS from committing suicide.

I bought this game when it first came out and have had a blast with it! Thanks for all of the effort in making the game and I hope one day we will see a sequel:)

[quote name='donssword']
3) The Long Tail.[/QUOTE]

Not to turn this thread into a sales argument, but I have to argue that point. While Nintendo games may sell like hotcakes and continue to sell each month, most third party developers have a hard time getting their games to sell on the Wii.

On topic, I'll pick up this game for John Di Maggio alone (the voice of Bender from Futurama for anyone who doesn't know).

[quote name='Camwi']Not to turn this thread into a sales argument, but I have to argue that point. While Nintendo games may sell like hotcakes and continue to sell each month, most third party developers have a hard time getting their games to sell on the Wii.

On topic, I'll pick up this game for John Di Maggio alone (the voice of Bender from Futurama for anyone who doesn't know).[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with you--that was the point I was trying to make with the US distribution model and Take Two and EA's (and Sega's) frustrations with Mature Wii sales. If Take Two and EA could more closely examine what Ubi is doing on the DS, and use their massive $$ to work with distributors to change the existing distribution models, we would all be a lot better off (designers, publishers, and consumers). We would certainly see publishers be a lot less risk averse, and we would end up with more innovation.

Titles like Shin Megami Tensei are migrating to portable platforms for a reason--HD development costs suck, and innovation is out the window for the PS3 and 360 (broad statement, I know, no offense meant).

Casual games got it figured out years ago. While everyone talks about figuring how to be successful with downloadable titles on consoles, PopCap, PlayFirst, and Big Fish are laughing all the way to the bank. iPhone? 'nuff said.

In case it hasn't been mentioned, this is the same price at Gamestop.

And I also concur with it being hard to find in the not so distant future. Once Amazon sells out the next cheapest new copy on the Amazon Marketplace is listed as $30 followed by $70.

Roland, do you know how many copies of this game were printed?

[quote name='donssword']I completely agree with you--that was the point I was trying to make with the US distribution model and Take Two and EA's (and Sega's) frustrations with Mature Wii sales. If Take Two and EA could more closely examine what Ubi is doing on the DS, and use their massive $$ to work with distributors to change the existing distribution models, we would all be a lot better off (designers, publishers, and consumers). We would certainly see publishers be a lot less risk averse, and we would end up with more innovation.

Titles like Shin Megami Tensei are migrating to portable platforms for a reason--HD development costs suck, and innovation is out the window for the PS3 and 360 (broad statement, I know, no offense meant).

Casual games got it figured out years ago. While everyone talks about figuring how to be successful with downloadable titles on consoles, PopCap, PlayFirst, and Big Fish are laughing all the way to the bank. iPhone? 'nuff said.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha. I must've misunderstood your point.

[quote name='Camwi']Gotcha. I must've misunderstood your point.[/QUOTE]

I misspeak often, and sometimes what is in my mind doesn't it make it out the way it should into my posts. Sometimes my rambling veers off course, so who can blame you :)

Bought this game new thru WM's site to store when it came out for my son's birthday.He likes it but also wishes it was made for 360 or PS2/PS3. He was a HUGE Firefighter FD 18 fan! I had to get that one via Ebay for double the regular price because it was so rare. :(

bread's done
Back