Photo
- - - - -

Firefighter - $18 @ Amazon & at Walmart (UPDATED OP 1/15)

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#61 bringerofdeath

bringerofdeath

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:39 PM

Can you give us some kind of hint as to what your studio's current project is lol. Just curious.
Posted Image

#62 Wonka the Troll

Wonka the Troll

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:07 AM

I've been wanting to get this game, for $20 I will. Thanks Roland13X for making it. It got a 7 from Gamespot so it gotta be pretty fun. This reminded me a lot of an old Sega Arcade game with a firefighter, you had hoses to play with and the Wiimote should re-create that arcade game feeling pretty well. If you get to make a sequel maybe you could include a firehose attachment ; )
Posted Image

#63 Patriotbball5460

Patriotbball5460

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:15 AM

Just ordered my copy with Amazon Prime, love supporting smaller devs especially when they are out on forums trying to drum up interest for it! Appreciate your desire to get the more "hardcore" involved into your game and am looking forward to playing it after reading some of your posts and noticing the passion for your work and the game in your words!

#64 jordie73

jordie73

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:02 AM

In for one-Thanks-J

#65 wasabi5858

wasabi5858

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:14 AM

Purchased. (shipped in 2-4 weeks, so hopefully amazon is putting in another order which is good for you guys) Can't really play FPS (get nauseated), but the concept looks interesting and like others stated, always cool to support indie devs, especially when they are actively trying to bring awareness to their labor of love.

and I an listening to your interview with gamecritics.com

edit: and you guys are #77 (3 days in top 100) on amazon top 100, beating SSBB, Dante's Infernal Divine edition (3 days in top 100), Zelda Twilight PRincess wii, Darksider 360 (10 days in too100) and Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers (#92 and 4 days in top 100)

Edited by wasabi5858, 10 January 2010 - 09:30 AM.

#66 Fount

Fount

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:00 PM

Have to agree with the guys who said the title being "Real Heroes: Firefighter" made them think it was shovelware. It immediately made me think of the Go Play: Lumberjacks types of games. As for the argument that "well, if you'd check the reviews, you'd see...", I have to think most of us don't bother checking out reviews for those kinds of games.

Anyway, glad to hear the game's not only decent, but doing well.
The BEST Gaming Deal Twitters:
CAG - http://www.twitter.com/videogamedeals
BankruptGamer - http://www.twitter.com/bankruptgamer

#67 Yankeessuck193

Yankeessuck193

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:41 PM

Hey Roland13x, Kudos on actually making a game man that's awesome, and despite reviews, I'm still going to buy this game to support you guys. I have one question that I'm guessing you hear from a lot of people, but how did you get started in making a game?(School, software, etc.) Thanks again for all of your replies and congrats once again.

#68 roland13x

roland13x

Insert something clever

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:12 PM

I think I played this in an arcade before...If this is it, 5 star recommended.

Oh man, I get that question all the time. As good as Sega's Brave Firefighter arcade game was, it was essentially an on-rails lightgun game. We're essentially a FPS, but instead of killing people, you're saving them.

We actually pitched our game years ago to Sega. I was initially a bit surprised and disappointed they weren't interested considering the amount of people who loved that arcade game.

Thanks Op, in for one, fancied trying this and it's good to support a fellow CAG.

Thanks man!!!

I bought this game when it first came out and have had a blast with it! Thanks for all of the effort in making the game and I hope one day we will see a sequel:)

The team loves hearing this kind of stuff. We're very well aware we weren't able to polish the game to a point where we'd really want it (just due to time and resources), and we're very aware that this is not a perfect game, but hearing people say they had fun with your labor of love really does make me happy doing what I do. Thanks!

Not to turn this thread into a sales argument, but I have to argue that point. While Nintendo games may sell like hotcakes and continue to sell each month, most third party developers have a hard time getting their games to sell on the Wii.

On topic, I'll pick up this game for John Di Maggio alone (the voice of Bender from Futurama for anyone who doesn't know).

True and false. But it all depends on expectations. Agreed that 1st party games sell and sell month after month, but then again, most of them have to considering the budget put into them. For something like Firefighter, we'd just need a fraction of those sales to be considered a success. The trick comes with balancing that affordable budget with a workable budget. All too often you see publishers asking "can you make this game for $400k? The answer is yes, but no one is going to want to play the damn thing. The problem then comes when one of those ultra-budget games is a hit (Carnival Games, or Midway's Game Party), then the publishers start feeling that they can lowball, and the dumb consumer won't know the difference.

I always tell people, you just have to vote with your dollars.

And as far as John DiMaggio...this is the 2nd time I've gotten to work with him, and he's probably the most fun actor to work with. Constantly cracking you up with jokes, voices and anecdotes. He is a human Bender more often than not.

Roland, do you know how many copies of this game were printed?

Other than "clearly not enough", no idea. The one thing I mentioned before is true though...we are hoping to get a 2nd or 3rd printing done soon once we convince the powers that be that people still want this game.

I was just asking because I think this would preform well on the PC.

Glad to hear this thought, as we were considering porting it to PC. We'll see how it goes. During development, most of us are playing it on PC quite often, and it does work really well.

What I want to know is, why is there a giant cheese puff rolling around in that Amazon video?

Have I mentioned how much I hate that damn video? Argh...

Anyway, that's actually the finale to our Museum level. There's a planetarium that catches on fire, and the huge centerpiece sun, still flaming, starts rolling around, knocking down dinosaur exhibits. It's a bit over-the-top, but fun.

#69 TurboNerd

TurboNerd

I'm looking for co-op buddies! PM me!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:40 PM

I just watched the clip on Amazon. Did I see a giant fucking fireball rolling down the street?

fs_pc.png fs_xbox.png
I'm looking for co-op buddies on XBOX Live and Steam! PM me!

#70 Josef

Josef

Touched the dead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:58 PM

Will definitely be ordering from Amazon once I can find another game to push it over the $25 for free shipping.

#71 KhrevalBruuk

KhrevalBruuk

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:09 PM

Will definitely be ordering from Amazon once I can find another game to push it over the $25 for free shipping.

Psst...http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=248865

#72 roland13x

roland13x

Insert something clever

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:24 PM

Can you give us some kind of hint as to what your studio's current project is lol. Just curious.

I really would love to, but we're kind of waiting for one last piece to fall into place before making our announcement. The only thing I can say is the title is "Rock of the Dead" which got released publicly since we were able to trademark it. I still can't believe no one had ever protected that title before.

Hey Roland13x, Kudos on actually making a game man that's awesome, and despite reviews, I'm still going to buy this game to support you guys. I have one question that I'm guessing you hear from a lot of people, but how did you get started in making a game?(School, software, etc.) Thanks again for all of your replies and congrats once again.

Thanks man! I got started in a round-about way. Finished school with a structural engineering degree, and worked in that field for a few years. Absolutely hated every day at the job. Then I ended up moving to LA a few blocks from Activision, and I decided to give it a shot as it had always been a passion, just didn't seem very practical. Started out in the QA department (going from $70k+ a year to $9 an hour was...shocking to say the least). Got a few promotions, worked my way up the ladder and into production on some Spider-Man and Dreamworks stuff, then got pulled onto the Activision Call of Duty team. After starting pre-production on CoD3, I got an offer to help start up a developer, and we made the mediocre 300 game for the PSP. My business partner then decided he was tired of Activision and asked me to start up our own studio. And here I am now.

But the QA entry is pretty common with production and design types.

#73 voidedx

voidedx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:29 PM

Several developers flock to the Wii because of the reasons you mentioned and most 3rd party games get lost in the void. There are over a dozen Wii games that I really wish were ported to XBLA/360 disc.

My girlfriend's favorite game is MySims Kingdom, but she hates the Wii controls and 480p. She wishes all the time it was for 360 because of the resolution and sturdy controls. She is not asking for higher polygon count or better textures. Just a direct port and it would easily look nice at 720p or higher.

I'd buy this if it was on 360. XBLA is a great development alternative to a disc game.
Now that all the work is done. How much man power would it take to port it? Do you not think that effort would pay off?
[URL="http://www.lusogamer.com/profile/live?gamertag=SpaceNinjaDino"]Posted Image[/URL]

#74 Asgardian

Asgardian

Crazy Ass Game Collector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:46 PM

I really wish I can play this game, but I dont have and do not intend to buy a Wii. Any thoughts of porting it to the PS2?

#75 therpson

therpson

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:50 PM

Seems like a cool game. Never seen it before!
Sig? Posted Image SIG?!

#76 roland13x

roland13x

Insert something clever

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:08 PM

Several developers flock to the Wii because of the reasons you mentioned and most 3rd party games get lost in the void. There are over a dozen Wii games that I really wish were ported to XBLA/360 disc.

My girlfriend's favorite game is MySims Kingdom, but she hates the Wii controls and 480p. She wishes all the time it was for 360 because of the resolution and sturdy controls. She is not asking for higher polygon count or better textures. Just a direct port and it would easily look nice at 720p or higher.

I'd buy this if it was on 360. XBLA is a great development alternative to a disc game.
Now that all the work is done. How much man power would it take to port it? Do you not think that effort would pay off?

As a hardcore gamer, I fully agree with what you're saying. I do appreciate the Wii for the games only the Wii could handle well (like Boom Blox), but I'd probably play more Wii games if they were on the 360.

As for porting, we'd be way too large for an XBLA game. It a TON easier to down-port a game than up-port, so to go from Wii to 360 is a very significant jump. In addition, we'd have to add a certain percentage of new content to go along with it. We've budgeted it out, and while it was reasonable, we'd rather make a sequel than rehash the original.

#77 Yankeessuck193

Yankeessuck193

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:22 PM

I really would love to, but we're kind of waiting for one last piece to fall into place before making our announcement. The only thing I can say is the title is "Rock of the Dead" which got released publicly since we were able to trademark it. I still can't believe no one had ever protected that title before.

Thanks man! I got started in a round-about way. Finished school with a structural engineering degree, and worked in that field for a few years. Absolutely hated every day at the job. Then I ended up moving to LA a few blocks from Activision, and I decided to give it a shot as it had always been a passion, just didn't seem very practical. Started out in the QA department (going from $70k+ a year to $9 an hour was...shocking to say the least). Got a few promotions, worked my way up the ladder and into production on some Spider-Man and Dreamworks stuff, then got pulled onto the Activision Call of Duty team. After starting pre-production on CoD3, I got an offer to help start up a developer, and we made the mediocre 300 game for the PSP. My business partner then decided he was tired of Activision and asked me to start up our own studio. And here I am now.

But the QA entry is pretty common with production and design types.

Thanks for the information man it all seems pretty intense, and IGN's review convinced me to pick up the game.Also the gameplay footage I've seen sold me pretty quickly. Thnaks again man and good luck in the future!:applause:

#78 bobphone

bobphone

So what if I'm a gay man?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:27 PM

So your new game is House of the Dead played with a guitar controller? I mean, it worked for Typing of the Dead, so I guess anything's possible.

#79 Patriotbball5460

Patriotbball5460

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:27 PM

@roland, I am not sure what happened with Amazon, but they sent me a new email saying that instead of the originally planned 2-4 weeks on shipping, they are able to ship it out in a day or two, and today they shipped it out, I am not sure if it is a case of giving priority to Prime members(which I am) or what, but I thought I would let you know!

Glad to hear it's doing well, can't wait to play it!

#80 boneless

boneless

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:43 PM

Picked it up yesterday from GS. Pretty fun game, and HD graphics would have been nice. The controls are a bit touchy for me, but I don't play many Wii games. Are there settings in the menu to slow down the targeting cursor?

#81 roland13x

roland13x

Insert something clever

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:12 AM

Picked it up yesterday from GS. Pretty fun game, and HD graphics would have been nice. The controls are a bit touchy for me, but I don't play many Wii games. Are there settings in the menu to slow down the targeting cursor?

Hey, first of all, thanks for picking up the game! There are a bunch of settings you can change to suit the control scheme you like. You can change the acceleration of the pointer as well as the size of the dead space in the center of the screen.

#82 Fount

Fount

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:58 AM

Hey, first of all, thanks for picking up the game! There are a bunch of settings you can change to suit the control scheme you like. You can change the acceleration of the pointer as well as the size of the dead space in the center of the screen.

heh, you skipping the guitar controller HOTD reply but commenting on the one before it makes me think it's true. Hey man, I'll try it.
The BEST Gaming Deal Twitters:
CAG - http://www.twitter.com/videogamedeals
BankruptGamer - http://www.twitter.com/bankruptgamer

#83 meatwad3000

meatwad3000

The Mauve Avenger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:15 AM

did some research on the game but I'm kinda strapped on funds ATM however if it's still on amazon in a couple of weeks I'll definitely pick this up :)

#84 roland13x

roland13x

Insert something clever

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:24 AM

heh, you skipping the guitar controller HOTD reply but commenting on the one before it makes me think it's true. Hey man, I'll try it.

Hey, I totally didn't even see that post. Easy to skip over the one-liner posts. Anyway, I can't talk about it just yet, so I couldn't deny or acknowledge it. Soon...hopefully we'll be announced before the end of January.

#85 Trelow

Trelow

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:32 AM

Glad to hear this thought, as we were considering porting it to PC. We'll see how it goes. During development, most of us are playing it on PC quite often, and it does work really well.

I'm in for the port! The ex took the Wii, and as much as it's for the kids, I still don't want her to run off and pawn it. :bouncy:

#86 MasterSun1

MasterSun1

Already Guilty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:43 AM

I'm first in the queue on Goozex for this game. I'm just waiting for it to drop to 250 points or less (currently at 350) before I actively request it.

#87 Camwi

Camwi

Can I be a sasquatch too?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:55 AM

And as far as John DiMaggio...this is the 2nd time I've gotten to work with him, and he's probably the most fun actor to work with. Constantly cracking you up with jokes, voices and anecdotes. He is a human Bender more often than not.

That is too cool, man.

And as for this being the only message board you regularly go to, might I suggest NeoGAF? That message board has a ton of video game developers that post on it. It has its fair share of self-righteous pricks, but what website doesn't?

#88 THAGEN

THAGEN

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:58 AM

Bought 2 on Amazon on the 10th. Just got an email from Amazon indicating that the ship date went down from 2-4 weeks to 5 days! Very pleased!

#89 sandmanzero

sandmanzero

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:34 AM

Bought 2 on Amazon on the 10th. Just got an email from Amazon indicating that the ship date went down from 2-4 weeks to 5 days! Very pleased!

I bought 2 as well! Now it's time to play the waiting game. :)

[Jeopardy game show music starts to play]

Worst game ever....
Posted Image

#90 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:16 PM

anyone remember that firefighting game on the SNES.... be nice if someone would remake that for a handheld
WOOOO I STINK