Photo
- - - - -

Gamecube component cable at Gamestop $4.99 YMMV

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#31 invinovomitas

invinovomitas

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:59 PM

The Gamestop link doesn't necessarily show all the stores that have the component cables. You'll find that 99% of the stores that come up in stock just have mislabeled composite cables (Red, Yellow, White) or old RF adapters (one store had an NES/SNES RF adapter labeled GC Component Cable). Don't waste your time with that link unless you want to go to forty stores before your find something useful (employees won't be any help if you call ahead because they don't know the difference between Component/Composite).

You got that right. A couple of months ago I drove all over Houston looking for this cable with no luck. I think the chances of finding one are slim.

#32 theclaw

theclaw

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:40 PM

As I understand things, and this may very well be wrong...

1) Retail box component cables were exclusively for Japan. The US had to order them online. I don't know if they saw release elsewhere.
2) PAL GC hardware was capable of 480p, but Nintendo removed it from any and all games in the format.
3) The chip inside component cables is a digital-analog converter, which for reasons unknown ignores the digital port's audio capability.

#33 Chronis

Chronis

Hey, I just met you

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:28 PM

Yeah, last time this thread came up, I went to the only store in the area that the locator listed. They didn't have it. I was sad.... To this day, I'd love to be able to play RE4 and my GBA games in 480p.

11317.png

#34 Kaiser499

Kaiser499

RPG Godfather

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

Why was a two year old thread bumped? I thought this was a new thread...disappointed...

Hir7Lx6.gif

Check Out My Gaming Stream

Kaiser499.png

#35 irishsoccermbw

irishsoccermbw

Prosecution Rests

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

In for 1

#36 Monoxide1986

Monoxide1986

Recovering Flipper

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

I agree. And besides just get a Wii that plays Gamecube games, order a $4 component cable for it from monoprice and you are set. Only worry about this cable unless you are a collector. I want one for collection purposes but I will wait until I can find it for cheap. Chances of finding one at a B&M Gamestop are probably slim to none.

#37 FatherChesz

FatherChesz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

Link doesn't work...but I guess it's OK. The TV my Gamecube is hooked up to has component in, but doesn't support 480p anyway. Silly Sony.

#38 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

I'd get a used Wii that plays Gamecube games at the prices Ebay wants for the Gamecube component cable. The only reason I would get this cable is to see the difference between s-video and component cable, while using the Gameboy player.

#39 dragonjud

dragonjud

Got games, but no time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

Threads like these should be locked forever. Come on! Did you really have to go that many pages far back to bump this? Wow

#40 ProppaT

ProppaT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

Not being mean or anything , I AM ALSO NOT TRYING TO TROLL THIS THREAD, BUT......Is it even necessary to have component for a Gamecube , I mean it isnt even a HD Console . Just wandering

They make a pretty dramatic difference, actually. All the colors look brighter and the image is more crisp.

#41 Fabrizo

Fabrizo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

This is honestly just about the only reason left to look for GCN component cables, unless you really don't want a Wii.

From what I've heard Gamecube outputs much clearer signal then Wii does with Component. So if you really care about image quality when running Gamecube games the original system is still the way to go (outside of emulation).

Edit: Oh wow, this thread is ancient. Why would someone bump this? :T

#42 ps2emotions

ps2emotions

8 bit heaven

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

I recently hooked my gamecube up to my HDTV using the official component cables and it looks stunning. Also the gameboy player scales the gameboy games to 480p which they look outstanding as well. Super mario sunshine never looked or sounded better than in 480p with dolby pro logic II coming out my pioneer surround sound system. Here is link to a video I put on youtube.

#43 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

Thread necrophillia

#44 DurbanBrown

DurbanBrown

to the MOON

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

Gamecube component cables are supposed to be rare and actually worth something these days...

Zombies-Sig.jpg

last.fm: shroomer1999                                                                  Designed By Lilchiji

#45 Saix_XIII

Saix_XIII

Video Game Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

Gamecube component cables are supposed to be rare and actually worth something these days...

Um they are...

532919.pngsig.gif

Repetition in a game is NOT a bad thing, almost all games are repetitive. What matters is if YOU enjoy the game, then the repetition becomes enjoyable and doesn't feel monotonous or boring.
My Trade List

#46 AsherFischell

AsherFischell

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

Oh, man. I can't believe this thread got bumped three years after the fact.

#47 Destro

Destro

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

Those suggesting a Wii, the Wii's video encoder chip is notoriously worse than the GC's. So GC games look worse running off a Wii, than a GC, via 480p. Whether the component cable is worth it to you, considering its rarity/price, is another matter. I got lucky and had a former workmate (ignorant of its value) throw it in a sale of a GC game I bought from him 4 years ago; and to this day I still have my GC hooked up even with a Wii sitting right next to it...

#48 BigT

BigT

Hey Zach...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

I dont wanna play on my PC nor I have a powerful enough(Youll need a gaming PC for Wii/GC emulation) PC. I my perfectly working GC.

You mainly just need a relatively powerful processor (most important part) and a reasonable graphics card. Works just fine on my HTPC running an Ivy Bridge Core i5-3570 with a Radeon 7770.

PC games usually depend more on a powerful graphics card. Emulators usually depend more on a powerful CPU.

In either case, it is an option... I wanted to clean up my entertainment center space to just have an HTPC, Xbox360, and PS3. The Wii/GC are now in storage because of Dolphin; PCSX2 has done the same for the PS2.

#49 ps2emotions

ps2emotions

8 bit heaven

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:55 PM

LOL, are you serious? Is this the first time you've used an HDTV? You don't think it looks stretched?

I've used this hdtv for almost 6 years and am well aware of how stretching will make most old games look worse. But in this case the gamecube outputting 480p shows no affect on making the image look worse therefore I set it widescreen. Why would I not do this if it looks just as good filling up the screen and the distortion is not apparent?

#50 defpally

defpally

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

I find it interesting that when someone actually uses the Search feature to find a relevant thread we get all these cries of "thread necro!" and when someone pops open a new thread they get shamed for not Searching.

Anyways, even with the better encoding of the Gamecube on GC games over the Wii, this is now even more relevant with the WiiU and newer Wii hardware lacking GC support. When I hook up the WiiU in place of the Wii on Christmas, I will suddenly find myself without an attached venue for playing my old Gamecube games (and there are some real gems in there, notably Viewtiful Joe and Wind Waker, two of my favorites). Now I could keep the Wii hooked up as well, but that means two sensor bars/etc., or hook the Gamecube back up and maybe sell the Wii (I had too keep it for now so I can transfer the content), or give it to a relative. Fortunately I already have the cables (and yes they do make a HUGE difference), I paid full price from Nintendo back in the day for them, and not once regretted the purchase..

#51 Kaiser499

Kaiser499

RPG Godfather

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

I find it interesting that when someone actually uses the Search feature to find a relevant thread we get all these cries of "thread necro!" and when someone pops open a new thread they get shamed for not Searching.

Anyways, even with the better encoding of the Gamecube on GC games over the Wii, this is now even more relevant with the WiiU and newer Wii hardware lacking GC support. When I hook up the WiiU in place of the Wii on Christmas, I will suddenly find myself without an attached venue for playing my old Gamecube games (and there are some real gems in there, notably Viewtiful Joe and Wind Waker, two of my favorites). Now I could keep the Wii hooked up as well, but that means two sensor bars/etc., or hook the Gamecube back up and maybe sell the Wii (I had too keep it for now so I can transfer the content), or give it to a relative. Fortunately I already have the cables (and yes they do make a HUGE difference), I paid full price from Nintendo back in the day for them, and not once regretted the purchase..

The thread is two years old.

Hir7Lx6.gif

Check Out My Gaming Stream

Kaiser499.png

#52 defpally

defpally

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

The thread is two years old.

Yes, and he obviously used the Search feature to find it (you cannot page back that far manually) - then likely didn't notice the date of the last post. I wish more people would use Search.

#53 MillerTime2523

MillerTime2523

FUN TIMES IN CLEVELAND

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

Gamecube games in Dolphin look amazing. I'm away for college so I ripped some of the games which I left at home, and it looks so good in 1080p.

cavs1-sm.gifrangers2-sm.gifcle1-sm.gif
Now Playing

:360: FIFA 14

#54 Not Eric

Not Eric

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:54 PM

The Gamecube is not region free but there is a relatively easy way to play Japanese games depending on how comfortable you are with a soldering gun and opening up your console.

Solder two wires to the board with a switch and you can switch between Japan and US regions. It's what I have on my Gamecube.

Try searching google for a region toggle switch guide or something similar.

There's also stuff like the Freeloader and other disc based solutions .

#55 gomikeoh

gomikeoh

I like turtles.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

I have an official nintendo branded gc component cable i picked up from gamestop probably around two years ago for like five bucks...

How much are these worth now days?
PC master race.

#56 addicted2games

addicted2games

游戏玩家为生活 !!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:08 AM

I have an official nintendo branded gc component cable i picked up from gamestop probably around two years ago for like five bucks...

How much are these worth now days?

Looking at completed actions, it looks like they are going from $70-$100 on ebay.

#57 Gosha

Gosha

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:26 AM

I just bought a component cable on ebay for $95 shipped. Just sold the gold club nintendo nunchuk I got for $75 to offset it though.

It's too bad Nintendo can't do another shortrun of Gamecube component cable production and sell them directly from their store. I'm sure people would pay upto $50 direct for them.

#58 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:37 AM

Why do people want the official cables? There are generic ones that are just as good for a lot less...

I remember paying $40 or whatever these cost from Nintendo, back when I thought brands for cables mattered. Then I found some on Monoprice for like $8.

Currently playing:

:3ds: Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds - :) 
:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#59 Gosha

Gosha

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:42 AM

Why do people want the official cables? There are generic ones that are just as good for a lot less...

I remember paying $40 or whatever these cost from Nintendo, back when I thought brands for cables mattered. Then I found some on Monoprice for like $8.

There are no third party/generic Gamecube Component Cables. Only only Wii. The Gamecube ones have a special encoder chip built into the cable itself that was never hacked or produced outside of what Nintendo offered.

#60 seanmcc

seanmcc

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:18 AM

Only the Nintendo ones allow progressive scan. There is an actual chip in them.