Gamecube component cable at Gamestop $4.99 YMMV

AsherFischell

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I was looking around for gamecube component cables when I accidentally stumbled on the Gamestop page. They are only sold in stores, but you might be able to find a Gamestop or two that have them nearby. Although the chances of finding one probably aren't very good, if you've been looking for a component cable and don't want to pay sixty bucks or more for one off of Ebay, you might as well see if any Gamestops have them and for five bucks, it's totally worth going a bit out of your way.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=32149

Last edited by a moderator:
Not being mean or anything , I AM ALSO NOT TRYING TO TROLL THIS THREAD, BUT......Is it even necessary to have component for a Gamecube , I mean it isnt even a HD Console . Just wandering

[quote name='AsherFischell']I was looking around for gamecube component cables when I accidentally stumbled on the Gamestop page. They are only sold in stores, but you might be able to find a Gamestop or two that have them nearby. Although the chances of finding one probably aren't very good, if you've been looking for a component cable and don't want to pay sixty bucks or more for one off of Ebay, you might as well see if any Gamestops have them and for five bucks, it's totally worth going a bit out of your way.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=32149[/QUOTE]

[quote name='AndrewsAwesome4']Not being mean or anything , I AM ALSO NOT TRYING TO TROLL THIS THREAD, BUT......Is it even necessary to have component for a Gamecube , I mean it isnt even a HD Console . Just wandering[/QUOTE]

The GC is just as HD as the Wii is. Almost all GC games do 480p.

I went all over to find these at GameStop. Just a few things to be aware of.

• Only the early model GameCubes can use component cables
  • You need to use composite cables still (for the audio)
  • GameStop VERY OFTEN mislabels these. I've found GC composite cables, Wii component cables, and a few other incorrect cables labeled as GC component cables.
These are easily worth the $5 if you can find them, even if you don't want them you can help a fellow CAG out or sell them for a good bit on eBay.

[quote name='david12795']My GSs mislabeled all of them.

Aren't the ones with the 5 colors (red white blue green yellow) going a lot ebay?[/QUOTE]

They only have 3 colors, since they do not include the red and white audio cables. Yes they are the ones going for a lot on eBay. The fact that Nintendo didn't release them stateside and they made very few of them in Japan (because only early GameCubes can even use them) resulted in them becoming rare are sought after.

They actually only have red,blue and green. You're supposed to have the component cables plugged into the digital a/v out and the composite cables plugged into the analog a/v out, with the red and white cables plugged into the television along with the red,blue and green ones. As Saix said, only Gamecubes made before a certain date had the digital a/v out port, because Nintendo stopped making them in 2003, therefore, they are now quite rare and can go for quite a bit of cash on Ebay.

pretty sure they used to make GS universal components that supported gamecube. I've not been to work in a while (yeah crappy GS employee ;-) ) but im quite possitive that they commonly existed at one point.

[quote name='scruffythejanitor']pretty sure they used to make GS universal components that supported gamecube. I've not been to work in a while (yeah crappy GS employee ;-) ) but im quite possitive that they commonly existed at one point.[/QUOTE]

Gamecube component cables have some type of signal processing chip in them. This is why none of the universal cables support it. You can fine Wii/PS3(2)/360 cables, but the only Gamecube cables are the official Nintendo ones.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']They only have 3 colors, since they do not include the red and white audio cables. Yes they are the ones going for a lot on eBay. The fact that Nintendo didn't release them stateside and they made very few of them in Japan (because only early GameCubes can even use them) resulted in them becoming rare are sought after.[/QUOTE]

Actually, you could buy them from Nintendo.com for awhile but I don't know if they were ever available in retail stores.

[quote name='scruffythejanitor']pretty sure they used to make GS universal components that supported gamecube. I've not been to work in a while (yeah crappy GS employee ;-) ) but im quite possitive that they commonly existed at one point.[/QUOTE]

Every single universal component cable that said it did GameCube only did composite with GameCube. I know I looked all over the internet before my friend in Texas finally got the only kind that exist (Nintendo made ones) at GS used for $5 last year.

[quote name='GTZ_NSR']Actually, you could buy them from Nintendo.com for awhile but I don't know if they were ever available in retail stores.[/QUOTE]

Ah ok I stand corrected, but I am 99% positive they were never sold in retail stores.

These cables are great for using the GBA player in progressive scan. Gameboy games will look amazing. I paid ~35 for mine on here back in 2006 or 2007 so they're well worth it if you can find them for five dollars.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']GameStop VERY OFTEN mislabels these. I've found GC composite cables, Wii component cables, and a few other incorrect cables labeled as GC component cables.[/QUOTE]

This is very helpful advice because I experienced this numerous times before finally finding GC component cables at a Gamestop. One store had a GBA link cable labeled as GC components :bomb:

[quote name='Kaiser499']Are there any Dreamcast component cables anywhere?[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure DC didn't have component, only Composite, S-Video and VGA

[quote name='Halo05']These cables are great for using the GBA player in progressive scan. Gameboy games will look amazing. I paid ~35 for mine on here back in 2006 or 2007 so they're well worth it if you can find them for five dollars.[/QUOTE]

This is honestly just about the only reason left to look for GCN component cables, unless you really don't want a Wii.

The only other reason I can think of is wanting to play 16 player Double Dash or one of the other LAN games in progressive. Of course, for $5 you can't go wrong, if you have a pre-Metroid Prime bundle gamecube.

My dad had to wait forever to get his component cable from Nintendo's online store. He was quite happy w/ his $30 purchase. I could never get one. For a long time, they were going for $100 on eBay, and a friend of mine picked one up for that price since his HD TV wouldn't take composite at all.

Yea, these had the extra hardware inside so there was *never* a generic version of this. Really sucks. I keep my treasured Gamecube in the basement, and the biggest reason is that my generic $4 compontent cable on my Wii works great for 480p Gamecube games.

Wish I had one of these myself. :(

[quote name='GDKN-403']The only other reason I can think of is wanting to play 16 player Double Dash or one of the other LAN games in progressive.[/QUOTE]
Bingo! My dad/friend I mentioned a few posts up... they had Gamecubes just so we could play 16 player Mario Kart LAN games. AWESOME time!

I got 3 of these component cables, anytime I came accross them at Gamstops over the last 3 years I picked them up. 5 bucks a pop each time. Also picked up a couple extra gamecubes with "Digital" video output.

wow, they still go for that much on ebay? i sold mine there the moment i bought my wii. i don't have the gba player so i will probably never touch my gc again.

oh and yes, the only american version was sold only at nintendo's online store. it came in a generic plastic bag, no impossible to open plastic or box with artwork or anything. they improve the image a LOT

gamestop like always mislabels these. A thread exactly like this popped up a little over a year ago which got me hunting in stores for them. The stores that showed up online as having them were always something like a GBA link cable or something mislabeled.

I got mine from a friend on a close knit message board for about 10 bucks shipped. So happy. Some games look amazing on them. One of my fav games, kirby air ride, is beautiful on it.

Oh yes, and Dreamcast does not have component but does have VGA. I strongly suggest getting a vgabox for dreamcast if you have an HDtv. Looks amazing.

I actually found one of these at my GS right after Christmas and it was the real deal. But I had to wait till Jan 1 to buy it as it was a cash trade in along with other things and they couldnt sell it till that day. Regardless to say, I had them put my name on it and hold it for me till that day. $5 for a rare cable works for me. :)

[quote name='Saix_XIII']The GC is just as HD as the Wii is. Almost all GC games do 480p.

[/QUOTE]

Actually the Gamecube didn't have that many 480p games. I do believe that the majority of GC 480p games were made by Nintendo. It was the original Xbox that had a majority of games in 480p (some were even 720p).

That being said, I found a set at GameStop a couple of years ago for $4.99. I'm happy I did because they do make a difference.

The Gamestop link doesn't necessarily show all the stores that have the component cables. You'll find that 99% of the stores that come up in stock just have mislabeled composite cables (Red, Yellow, White) or old RF adapters (one store had an NES/SNES RF adapter labeled GC Component Cable). Don't waste your time with that link unless you want to go to forty stores before your find something useful (employees won't be any help if you call ahead because they don't know the difference between Component/Composite).

I got a set of these when I worked at Gamecrazy for 2 bucks and then sold them on ebay for 65 dollars. People wants these things like crazy.

[quote name='Doomstink']The Gamestop link doesn't necessarily show all the stores that have the component cables. You'll find that 99% of the stores that come up in stock just have mislabeled composite cables (Red, Yellow, White) or old RF adapters (one store had an NES/SNES RF adapter labeled GC Component Cable). Don't waste your time with that link unless you want to go to forty stores before your find something useful (employees won't be any help if you call ahead because they don't know the difference between Component/Composite).[/QUOTE]

This!
Don't bother. If you get lucky, then be glad, but that link to the inventory indicator on these is useless.

[quote name='GDKN-403']This is honestly just about the only reason left to look for GCN component cables, unless you really don't want a Wii.

The only other reason I can think of is wanting to play 16 player Double Dash or one of the other LAN games in progressive. Of course, for $5 you can't go wrong, if you have a pre-Metroid Prime bundle gamecube.[/QUOTE]

I had a Metroid Prime Bundle (US) purchased at GameStop, and it had the component port required on the back in case somebody is wondering.

[quote name='keiblerfan69']I got a set of these when I worked at Gamecrazy for 2 bucks and then sold them on ebay for 65 dollars. People wants these things like crazy.[/QUOTE]

at that price, you may as well save the extra money for the Wii.

[quote name='Doomstink']The Gamestop link doesn't necessarily show all the stores that have the component cables. You'll find that 99% of the stores that come up in stock just have mislabeled composite cables (Red, Yellow, White) or old RF adapters (one store had an NES/SNES RF adapter labeled GC Component Cable). Don't waste your time with that link unless you want to go to forty stores before your find something useful (employees won't be any help if you call ahead because they don't know the difference between Component/Composite).[/QUOTE]

You got that right. A couple of months ago I drove all over Houston looking for this cable with no luck. I think the chances of finding one are slim.

As I understand things, and this may very well be wrong...

1) Retail box component cables were exclusively for Japan. The US had to order them online. I don't know if they saw release elsewhere.
2) PAL GC hardware was capable of 480p, but Nintendo removed it from any and all games in the format.
3) The chip inside component cables is a digital-analog converter, which for reasons unknown ignores the digital port's audio capability.

Yeah, last time this thread came up, I went to the only store in the area that the locator listed. They didn't have it. I was sad.... To this day, I'd love to be able to play RE4 and my GBA games in 480p.

I only have a Wii U(Dont play GC games) and a Playstation 3D Display(Dont have composite ports-in) but I have my GC with the Component port snd I want to play GC games a record for YouTube. Right now (considering the price of the Wii) its worth getting one on eBay? Cuz is the only place where to find it but the prices are $100-$160. Or theres another cheaper way to get them? Should I buy them or or should I get a Wii? Or anyone here want to sell it?

I agree. And besides just get a Wii that plays Gamecube games, order a $4 component cable for it from monoprice and you are set. Only worry about this cable unless you are a collector. I want one for collection purposes but I will wait until I can find it for cheap. Chances of finding one at a B&M Gamestop are probably slim to none.

Link doesn't work...but I guess it's OK. The TV my Gamecube is hooked up to has component in, but doesn't support 480p anyway. Silly Sony.

I'd get a used Wii that plays Gamecube games at the prices Ebay wants for the Gamecube component cable. The only reason I would get this cable is to see the difference between s-video and component cable, while using the Gameboy player.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']Not being mean or anything , I AM ALSO NOT TRYING TO TROLL THIS THREAD, BUT......Is it even necessary to have component for a Gamecube , I mean it isnt even a HD Console . Just wandering[/QUOTE]

They make a pretty dramatic difference, actually. All the colors look brighter and the image is more crisp.

[quote name='GDKN-403']This is honestly just about the only reason left to look for GCN component cables, unless you really don't want a Wii.[/QUOTE]

From what I've heard Gamecube outputs much clearer signal then Wii does with Component. So if you really care about image quality when running Gamecube games the original system is still the way to go (outside of emulation).

Edit: Oh wow, this thread is ancient. Why would someone bump this? :T

@anotherpoorgamer

I've read that the component cable makes GBA games looks incredible. Even compare the look with the emulator's

I recently hooked my gamecube up to my HDTV using the official component cables and it looks stunning. Also the gameboy player scales the gameboy games to 480p which they look outstanding as well. Super mario sunshine never looked or sounded better than in 480p with dolby pro logic II coming out my pioneer surround sound system. Here is link to a video I put on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NAddoifpLk

[quote name='ps2emotions']I recently hooked my gamecube up to my HDTV using the official component cables and it looks stunning. Also the gameboy player scales the gameboy games to 480p which they look outstanding as well. Super mario sunshine never looked or sounded better than in 480p with dolby pro logic II coming out my pioneer surround sound system. Here is link to a video I put on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NAddoifpLk[/QUOTE]

To nitpick, your aspect ratio is wrong. Super Mario Sunshine is a 4:3 ratio game. Your HDTV is stretching it.

I got the GC component cable back in the day several years ago by getting lucky and finding one in a gamestop... circa 2008.

Now, to get the best possible graphics, I would just recommend using the Dolphin emulator. Basically, you can upscale the internal rendering resolution of a GC/Wii to greater than 1080p levels if your PC is beefy enough. For GC games, there is also a true widescreen hack that actually changes FOV (not just stretching the image).

I dont wanna play on my PC nor I have a powerful enough(Youll need a gaming PC for Wii/GC emulation) PC. I my perfectly working GC.

bread's done
Back