Photo
- - - - -

Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles (PSP) $9.99 w/Free Shipping at Newegg

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#31 AwRy108

AwRy108

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:07 PM

Which version of SOTN would be the better one to play? The PSP one from this deal, or the XBL one?

I've never played it before. The last Castlevania game I played was Super Castlevania IV.

Depends if you want it portable or not. I'd opt for the PSP version for 2 reasons: 1) portable; 2) looks better (sharper) on the smaller screen.

Either way, SotN is one of the best 2D games ever (...and much better than any of the DS versions IMHO, especially b/c of the inverted castle secret), and you need to play it if you haven't already.

#32 Kaiser499

Kaiser499

RPG Godfather

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:40 PM

Ahh, but some of us don't mind the 'crappy' voice acting as you describe it.
For any CAG that's not 15 years old, those lines are forever engraved in your head :).

I didn't mean it in a bad way, I prefer the PSX version myself.

Hir7Lx6.gif

Check Out My Gaming Stream

Kaiser499.png

#33 DrunkTigerWoods

DrunkTigerWoods

Madness and malarkey!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:08 PM

I'm tempted to buy this, I dont even have a psp yet.

552494.png

:wii: Kirby's Dream Collection 

#34 Deefuzz

Deefuzz

Comfortably Numb

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:17 PM

Right on, thanks for the advice jacknicklson and AwRy108. Just placed the order, I look forward to getting my butt kicked at Rondo of Blood so I can unlock SOTN.

#35 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:38 PM

Ahh, but some of us don't mind the 'crappy' voice acting as you describe it.
For any CAG that's not 15 years old, those lines are forever engraved in your head :).

Well, there really isn't any other way to describe the voice acting. Well, awful comes to mind. There is a reason why they are engraved in your head. Classic game, and the humor from listening to the voice acting is icing on the cake.

#36 Chirotera

Chirotera

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:39 PM

It's pretty hard to pass up this price, plus free shipping.

#37 Spacepest

Spacepest

Your Tax Dollars At Work

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:58 PM

At this price if you don't have, then get it. Keep in mind SOTN has a new translation, new voice actors, 2 new familiars and Maria as a playable Character.

Hmm, sounds almost like the Japanese Saturn version of SOTN (which I own a copy of). Does it have the two bonus stages as well?

And its a shame I don't own a PSP, I'd snap this up in second if I did. I'm tempted enough now as it is....
"Videogames...why waste good technology (and $$$ ) on science and medicine?"

#38 charlescheese

charlescheese

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:01 PM

This is one of the best PSP games! $10 is a STEAL! Buy it people, it's f'n great.

#39 Camwi

Camwi

Can I be a sasquatch too?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:08 PM

Thanks Cheapy, picked up a copy.

#40 flameofdoom666

flameofdoom666

3D Dot Game Link!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:09 PM

Awesome game!

#41 flameofdoom666

flameofdoom666

3D Dot Game Link!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:11 PM

Whoever thinks SoTN is the best Castlevania has not played Order of Ecclesia. I have played EVERY castlevania from SoTN.

#42 dragonjud

dragonjud

Got games, but no time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:21 PM

Whoever thinks SoTN is the best Castlevania has not played Order of Ecclesia. I have played EVERY castlevania from SoTN.

Well, I think it's all a matter of personal taste.

I was put off by the punishing difficulty of Order of Ecclessia simply because it felt like the programmers purposely increased the stamina of some common enemies or simply spammed them in certain areas. This made progression a frustrating chore, instead of just the usual chore of leveling up.

I enjoyed Dawn of Sorrow a lot more, but I still prefer SOTN out of all of them.

#43 jacknicklson

jacknicklson

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:23 PM

SotN will always be my favorite and I still consider it the pinnacle of the series though all the other metroidvanias are awesome as well(have beaten them all numerous times)

Just with SotN, I could play it any day of the week
Posted Image

#44 dallow

dallow

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:44 PM

They also have this for 9.99 at local Fry's stores for 9.99. Just got one.

Thanks for the tip!
"i drive a rolls royce / cause it's good for my voice"
3DS Friend Code: 3609-1044-7487

#45 AwRy108

AwRy108

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:46 PM

Well, I think it's all a matter of personal taste.

I was put off by the punishing difficulty of Order of Ecclessia simply because it felt like the programmers purposely increased the stamina of some common enemies or simply spammed them in certain areas. This made progression a frustrating chore, instead of just the usual chore of leveling up.

I enjoyed Dawn of Sorrow a lot more, but I still prefer SOTN out of all of them.

Agreed. I also thought the fetch questing in Order of Ecclessia was a lousy design choice, as well as the lack of one big cohesive castle.

SotN will always be the pinnacle of the series, especially for its soundtrack :applause:

#46 flameofdoom666

flameofdoom666

3D Dot Game Link!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:21 PM

Agreed. I also thought the fetch questing in Order of Ecclessia was a lousy design choice, as well as the lack of one big cohesive castle.

SotN will always be the pinnacle of the series, especially for its soundtrack :applause:

Have you played Order of Ecclesia to completion? There is a big cohesive castle. The goal was to infuse both styles of Castlevania into one. The old "stage" based approach, with the newer "metroidvania" approach. It worked amazingly well.

Also, the music is to die for.

I will be honest. All 7 metroidvania games are some of the best in gaming. I personally thought that the handheld entries got better with time though. Each GBA game, was better than the last. And for me, each DS game was better than the last. SoTN, and the sorrows were my favorite. Order of Ecclesia is my new favorite :-)

#47 kratos1010

kratos1010

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:40 PM

This game is fantastic. If you don't have it, get it now!
I love all three games that it has inside.

#48 AwRy108

AwRy108

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:49 PM

I will be honest. All 7 metroidvania games are some of the best in gaming. I personally thought that the handheld entries got better with time though. Each GBA game, was better than the last. And for me, each DS game was better than the last.

I agree with everything right here, but SotN will always be my favorite; although I'm certain that nostalgia is playing a role its ranking, too ;)

#49 flameofdoom666

flameofdoom666

3D Dot Game Link!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:25 PM

I agree with everything right here, but SotN will always be my favorite; although I'm certain that nostalgia is playing a role its ranking, too ;)

Fair enough :-D

I hope the new 3D Castlevania that is going to have Alucard as the main character is good. I don't want the SoTN legacy tainted. The 3D ones are fun, but not nearly as good as the 2D games.

#50 GreatDoink

GreatDoink

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:41 PM

Awesome, thanks for the heads up CheapyD! Just bought a PSP and have been looking for this game for a good price.

sig.gif 

#51 wampa8jedi

wampa8jedi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:43 PM

I think it plays a role in many peoples' rankings... ;)
[chipinsig]e944447abb96f9f0[/chipinsig]

#52 X-GOUKI

X-GOUKI

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:35 PM

OOS already? damn it! I had it in my cart 30mins ago and came back, now its gone :(

76561197964639401.png

xgouki.png

#53 vegeta21x

vegeta21x

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:42 AM

I hope the new 3D Castlevania that is going to have Alucard as the main character is good. I don't want the SoTN legacy tainted. The 3D ones are fun, but not nearly as good as the 2D games.

What new Castlevania game with Alucard are you talking about? The one from E3 08? Thats been canned as far as I know. Or Lords of Shadow? If so thats not Alucard.

#54 Ardrid

Ardrid

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:01 AM

If you are even the slightest Castlevania fan, I highly suggest you grab Dracula X at this price. Symphony of the Night is worth the cost alone.

sig.gif

Video Game Spending Tabs: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

#55 TsaebehT

TsaebehT

far from god

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:05 PM

Simon's Quest is still my favorite. It was the first I played, the first I finished. Then I went back and finished the first and when the 3rd came out I got stuck on that but it was a rental and I didn't like it that much compared to the others. I guess Simon's Quest tainted it for me because I never really liked the other ones as much. Super Castlevania IV was better but it wasn't until SotN that it felt like Simon's Quest again.

So anyway, I bought this awhile back and I still don't think I've unlocked SotN. This plays more like the original, which in my book isn't a good thing, especially with all the GBA versions like Simon's Quest. This reminds me a lot of Harmony of Dissonance which I hated.

#56 ARS2x

ARS2x

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:54 PM

Picked up Castlevania and Metal Slug, I've been waiting for deals on both of these. Thank you, Cag! I've been holding off on playing SotN for so long, very excited to catch up on a classic. Time to dust off the PSP.

#57 NightCat

NightCat

Backtoad_Overload

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2010 - 04:14 PM

I loved beating Aria and Circle so much! I will for sure grab this bad boy! Thanks so much now i got a reason to pull out one of my psps to play this. I have not played my psps in like 8 months now. I guess i will grab that other 9.99 game to.

I also grew up playing the original castlevania on NES and then GB. That took skill to beat those older ones. These new ones are easy compared to the originals. I love how they keep dishing out good castlevania games now.

#58 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2010 - 04:26 PM

For those that still want it, it's $13.58 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co...63486334&sr=8-1

...I have a feeling it will go back down to $9.99 eventually. I'm glad I held off because my backlog has gotten ridiculous. (Even my PSP backlog is huge)

Edit: It's also $10.99 at Amazon Warehouse deals (used)

http://www.warehouse.../B000R37S00.htm

#59 jollydwarf

jollydwarf

America's #1 Poster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:00 PM

Thanks for the Amazon tip, KR.

#60 Full Metal XL

Full Metal XL

Enemy of the State!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:07 PM

What, the new one with Patrick Steward doing voice over? If so, the main character isn't Alucard (thank gawd, because I always thought that was a fucking stupid idea for a name :roll:), it's Gabriel...at least that's what some chick called him during the trailer on Live.

God made me funky! :bomb:

Posted Image
A, B, C, D, E, F, G...
Someone Should've Told You Not To Fuck With Me!
:evil: